• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War III - Review Thread

Comes out on April 27, open beta this weekend.

Metacritic
Opencritic

RPS

There are moments, many of them, during multiplayer and AI skirmishes, where I'm absolutely certain that Dawn of War 3 is the best game in the series, even with its missteps when it comes to cover and fortifications. I could happily continue rambling on about the brilliant faction design or how I still squeal with glee every time I drop a gargantuan beast of an Elite like Imperial Knight Solaria into a fight – you haven't lived until you've witnessed her impossibly huge guns turning an army of Orks into green-red paste. If you're only interested in the campaign, however, then you're unlikely to find as much to get enthused about.

PC Gamer - 78

Other flaws pepper the experience, too, whether it's the absence of autosaves during the long campaign missions or the mind-boggling inability to reassign keybinds. For all this, I can't say I wasn't usually having fun. I admire Dawn of War 3 for trying to reinvent its formula again. It isn't quite the pure RTS of the first game or the RPG experiment of the second, but it sits somewhere in between. In its finest moments, when armies are crawling over each other and mechs make the ground tremble, it's an exciting place to be.

Gamespot - 8

An odd chimera of its forebears, there's a lot in this fast-paced RTS that's a little bit off. Parts of the interface don't work sometimes, inter-match army management is half-baked, and the micromanagement needed to use the game's signature hero units effectively doesn't jibe with the extensive base-building you'll need to support them. But those problems fall away when you're in the heat of battle. Dawn of War III builds and maintains an organic tension that yields huge pay-offs, and there's nothing else quite like it.

Eurogamer
- Recommended

Dawn of War 3 is not going to be universally popular - that much is clear already - and nor is it, despite appearances, going to turn the entire genre of real-time strategy on its head. But like it or not, the clunking, lumbering hulk of Terminator Armor that strategy gaming has become is indeed beginning to creak at the joints. Relic has had the audacity to launch it into an unexpected frontflip, and what a glorious, inventive somersault of design Dawn of War 3 is, even if it doesn't completely stick the landing.

IGN - 7.6

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 3 is flashy and loaded with complex, micromanagement-heavy warfare. Its single-player campaign is long and challenging, but feels uninspired because it rarely makes creative use of the three factions' abilities. In multiplayer it's even more demanding and intimidatingly chaotic, but with only one mode and not a lot of maps, it seems limited. Relic deserves credit for not simply remaking the same game with prettier graphics, but this hybrid approach doesn't feel as strong as Dawn of War 2's memorable tactical focus.

Destructoid - 7.5

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III takes a few steps back in time to make one step forward. It hearkens back to a lot of older design choices from the first game, and attempts to build upon other RTS conventions in the process. Not everything works (especially the strict adherence to the core conceit), but it's still very much both a Warhammer and a Dawn of War joint.

Polygon - 8

Dawn of War 3 makes an admirable attempt to nudge forward a genre that has struggled in recent years to progress. The addition of Elites offers intriguing and complex challenges for those who are prepared to put in the necessary practice. Relic has obviously thought long and hard about how realtime strategy might best be improved — even if true evolution seems out of the game's grasp.

PCGamesN - 8/10

This is the most conventional RTS in an historically unconventional series. While this fact alone may divide players, its quality of presentation and polished mechanics mean that, as it inevitably expands with more content, Dawn of War III may yet become the champion of a genre that remains stubbornly resistant to evolution.

I'm not going to feel hurt that y'all forgot my review over at USgamer.

Much more aggressive play required over previous games. 50% DOW, 40% DOW2, 10% MOBA.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Totally forgot that this was coming out. It's been a big Q1 for SEGA, hasn't it? Between Mika, Yakuza 0, Bayonetta PC, Persona 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and this...

PCGamesN - 8/10

This is the most conventional RTS in an historically unconventional series. While this fact alone may divide players, its quality of presentation and polished mechanics mean that, as it inevitably expands with more content, Dawn of War III may yet become the champion of a genre that remains stubbornly resistant to evolution.

I'm half-disappointed, half-unsurprised and half-okay-with-it. Wasn't expecting much, think I'll still have fun. From the minimal multiplayer I've played, the showstopping moments are worth price of admission.

kswiston

I sort of expect many years later sequels to top tier 00s era strategy games to be disappointing these days. I can't think of many that weren't.

These reviews aren't too bad. Hopefully patching, DLC and expansion packs can smooth out any rough edges.

shandy706

I'll keep an eye on it. Currently working through Halo Wars 2 and getting 3 stars on every level in 8 Bit Armies.

Also have a couple other strategy games I need to finish.

deejay

I'm just hoping for a great single player campaign, and it should be ok it seems, but it's more focused towards the multiplayer side of the game, which is disappointing to me because I'm not in it for that.

I'm a huge mark for the series and anything Warhammer related so I'd likely have gotten it regardless, but I'm glad it's not as bad as I was afraid of. I don't really expect it to out DoW 2 as my definitive experience (at least not until it has some expansions under its belt) but I can deny that I'm excited to play a new 40k RTS.

garath

I'm sad. I very much liked the squad based gameplay of 2. My appetite for traditional RTS games is pretty low.

Might pick it up on sale later.

Protein

Banned
If it's anything like the original Dawn of War games and expansions, SOLD. I thought Dawn of War 2 was awful. I'm glad base building is back.

Valtýr

So it's more of a traditional RTS? That's too bad - I liked the *hero* stuff from DOWII. I may still play this tho.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sounds great, definitely looking forward to it.

Looking more forward to the inevitable expansion that adds a campaign with a strategic map ala Dark Crusade/Ardennes Assault.

soheil

Totally forgot that this was coming out. It's been a big Q1 for SEGA, hasn't it? Between Mika, Yakuza 0, Bayonetta PC, Persona 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and this...

Will continue with Valkyria Revolution،Endless Space 2 and Yakuza Kiwami for Q2.

Sonic Mania,Sonic Force,Football Manager 2018, Warhammer 2 Total War for Q3 and Q4.

Biggest year for them since 10 years ago maybe.So many releases

The SP sounds a bit underwhelming from these reviews, which is a shame because the campaign and Last Stand were my favorite things.
I might wait this out for a bit.

Jinaar

I am a whore for WH40K, loving every moment of DOWII. I'll get this day one, as per usual. I'm hoping the SP is better then what has been let on. We'll see how the beta goes this weekend, which reminds me I should get that download started.

B00TE

Sounds great, definitely looking forward to it.

Looking more forward to the inevitable expansion that adds a campaign with a strategic map ala Dark Crusade/Ardennes Assault.

pls yes. I absolutely loved Dark Crusade's map.

Gonna wait and see how this all pans out myself, bummer to hear the SP may be kind of lacking. Will be trying out the beta tomorrow.

I was really bummed by many negative opinions I'd seen floating around, then I gave the closed beta a try...and lord, I love this game. I can't wait for the open beta this weekend so I can jump back in.

AlanOC91

So hyped! The Dawn of War series are some of my favorite series of all time.

Only yesterday was I reminiscing about playing DOW: Dark Crusade MP online with my buddy in 2v2 matches.

We had such fun tactics. He would be Necrons and I would be Imperial Guard. I would use the scan ability to see their main base while he teleported all his units into the area. Nearby over the mountains I would have 3 Basilisk Long-Range Artilleries shelling the life out of the base. Won us tons of matches using that strategy.

Arcteryx

The SP sounds a bit underwhelming from these reviews, which is a shame because the campaign and Last Stand were my favorite things.
I might wait this out for a bit.

Ditto.

Fingers crossed they release Last Stand as DLC at some point, but otherwise, I'll wait for a sale.

Lorcain

The impressions and reviews make it sound like the MP will be good, but the SP campaign isn't up to par. I really enjoyed the previous SP campaigns and expansions, so I'm hopeful it's still decent.

I'm not liking what I'm reading about the amount of micro that will be needed between base building, unit control, and hero control, especially since some of the reviews mention the army/unit interface not being ideal.

Serrato

didn't know there's an open beta of dow3 this weekend. thanks. will check it out to see how well it runs on my pc.

No prob! I had a closed beta invite too but I never got to do it more than 1h since I was constantly occupied that weekend sadly. Time to get it on!

Yep, really wanted a solid single player campaign, doesn't sound to bad, hopefully they add more with DlC.Still gonna buy it day 1

As I'm likely to still be under NDA for the closed beta, please ignore

Will post my impressions once the open beta has started. That said I wasn't impressed and the game is not what I hoped for, even as a really, REALLY big fan of the first Dawn of War.

wuth

Getting the feeling that opinions will be split by feelings towards DOW2 or DOW1. Lots of DOW2 players are less impressed, but DOW1 fans seem to be excited.

Nekrono

Comes out in a week?? Damn I thought we were several months away still.

Can someone link a good overview video of this game? I haven't really seen much.

gabbo

So it sounds like theyre going for a combination old school rts base building and the tactical approach of 2? Im intrigued. Hopefully SP alone is worth it, ive never multied a WH40K game.

Memory

These scores are higher than I expected after my beta play through. I might give it another chance if my beta key works for the open as well.

teepo

i'm inclined to agree with that RPS quote. i can't necessarily say if its a great strategy game yet but i can definitively say it's a very fun game. it helps that this might be the most balanced a relic game has been at launch. dow3 might be truly something special

relic recently released a 40 min 3v3 match with dev commentary that i highly recommend watching. it's how the game should've been marketed in the first place and at the very least, they should've released this video before the start of the closed beta since nobody knew what the fuck they were doing

Bolivar687

Banned
I was hoping for a bit better as I think the MP is fantastic but these seem like pretty solid scores so far. I've read some that really dug the campaign and others that we're disappointed. Overall I'm really excited for the beta and official launch next week.

I dislike the idea of Dawn Of War III going more traditional on a lot of levels (as DoW II is my favourite RTS ever) , but I am willing to give relic the benefit of the doubt regarding how fun it could still be, even if I think it should be mechanically different to fit my tastes.

Does the campaign have co-op like DoW II?

IpKaiFung

The game is ok but its the worst game Relic have made in my opinion.

That doesnt mean its a bad game I just hold them to quite a high standard.

Their post launch support has also not been great in the past. So I dont have great hopes for the future of this game.

The game is ok but its the worst game Relic have made in my opinion.

That doesnt mean its a bad game I just hold them to quite a high standard.

Their post launch support has also not been great in the past. So I dont have great hopes for the future of this game.

Worse than The Outfit?

LordRaptor

Reviews are quite disappointing; whether you preferred DOW2 to DOW1 or not, DOW2 at least felt like a progression into less well trodden territory, and the reviews suggest this is a regression to more traditional RTS fare.

I get that RTS isn't exactly a hot genre nowadays, so a bog standard RTS might appeal to people missing them, but to my mind DOW was never a vanilla RTS so its pretty disappointing to see it making something of a U-turn back towards that.

I guess I'll find out for myself when the open beta drops, but indicators aren't good.

They still need proper roadmaps both for Elite units and future races. I think if they made solid promises for free future Elite units and the official announcement of the first race DLC, then I would have more confidence.

I am willing to overlook their design decisions and early flaws if there was a solid roadmap for content. Without written promises, who the fuck knows what kind of paywall treadmill Sega is going to put us on again.

cartesian

Reviews are quite disappointing; whether you preferred DOW2 to DOW1 or not, DOW2 at least felt like a progression into less well trodden territory, and the reviews suggest this is a regression to more traditional RTS fare.

I get that RTS isn't exactly a hot genre nowadays, so a bog standard RTS might appeal to people missing them, but to my mind DOW was never a vanilla RTS so its pretty disappointing to see it making something of a U-turn back towards that.

I guess I'll find out for myself when the open beta drops, but indicators aren't good.
When you say regression, do you mean because you think it seems more like DoW 1? Although DoW 2 has a big fan base, there are still quite a few of us who preferred the first game and would welcome a DoW 1-esque sequel.

That said, I don't think this game looks much like DoW 1. It reminds me more of something like in the vein of StarCraft. I'm incredibly disappointed with what I've seen so far - I love the cover mechanics, bloody infantry battles and grisly execution animations in the first game; this looks sterile and videogamey by comparison - but maybe the beta will change my mind.

Anno

I wonder what this game will look like when people are actually good at it. I watched a good number of games during the last beta and most everyone was so bad at the strategic part still. I did see one game that had the peaks-and-valleys kinda feel of a MOBA and thought it was great fun. Different from DOW2 for sure, which I still enjoy watching, but exciting in it's own way.

I was only interested in the campaign so I will skip. The universe has soooooooooooooooo much potential for an amazing campaign, even better than SC2's which was amazing, and they still dont utilize its benefits at all. What a damn shame. Sigh..

Top Bottom