• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War III - Review Thread

nicanica

So hyped! The Dawn of War series are some of my favorite series of all time.

Only yesterday was I reminiscing about playing DOW: Dark Crusade MP online with my buddy in 2v2 matches.

We had such fun tactics. He would be Necrons and I would be Imperial Guard. I would use the scan ability to see their main base while he teleported all his units into the area. Nearby over the mountains I would have 3 Basilisk Long-Range Artilleries shelling the life out of the base. Won us tons of matches using that strategy.

SOMEBODY CALL AN EARTH SHAKAH!?

Just finished a 3v5 comp stomp on quick start and insane difficulty that took 4 days total to finish. Building gigantic armies and mashing them together is the best. It is the grown up version of playing cars.

I eagerly await more classes for this game till I take the plunge.

manfestival

I will play the open beta myself but I am reluctant to jump cause the tau are not in it but that is to be expected. I would expect chaos to be next in line realistically

Memory

I missed out on that one and Impossible Creatures, only remember mediocre reviews.

It was a genre mesh so the appeal was quite niche. The game itself was a ton of fun if you like strategy action mash-ups with a little comedy.

I picked it up in the bargain bin as I'd never heard of it, turned out to be one of the best local multi experiences in the console imo.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I just want another top shelf "conquer the map" campaign like in Dark Crusade. I played that for 100+ hours, easy. Maybe a few expansions in they could do something like that.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm not going to feel hurt that y'all forgot my review over at USgamer.

Much more aggressive play required over previous games. 50% DOW, 40% DOW2, 10% MOBA.

Nice review, your closing sentence captures how I feel about the game. Relic will certainly add more stuff post-launch.

I'm pumped. I have been super unproductive at work reading reviews all day.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm not seeing much talk about co-op in here, which makes me frown

wuth

SOMEBODY CALL AN EARTH SHAKAH!?

Just finished a 3v5 comp stomp on quick start and insane difficulty that took 4 days total to finish. Building gigantic armies and mashing them together is the best. It is the grown up version of playing cars.

I eagerly await more classes for this game till I take the plunge.

I get that a huge percentage of the DOW fan base plays exactly this way, but that sounds like torture.

Man, I am gonna miss the small scale tactics of DOW 2. At least the reviews are decent...

Reviews are way higher than I expected, based on my own beta experiences.

I'll be giving the game one more chance this weekend.

I'm not a fan of going between races in the campaign, but besides that I think I'm pumped to play this.

As I said in my review, the campaign is just okay and feel mostly like a lengthy tutorial to get you used to the mechanics of each race. Jumping for race-to-race blunts the story aspect, since you're always switching between them.

I'm not seeing much talk about co-op in here, which makes me frown

No co-op campaign.

wrongway

What was the word on the multiplayer map pool? I've seen 8 mentioned in passing a couple times, but no idea how that breaks up per mode.

Beta/demo tomorrow, woots \o/

What was the word on the multiplayer map pool? I've seen 8 mentioned in passing a couple times, but no idea how that breaks up per mode.

Beta/demo tomorrow, woots \o/

I believe it's 9 nine maps? 3 per XvX mode. Don't quote me on that, but I know there are 3 for 1v1.

wrongway

I believe it's 9 nine maps? 3 per XvX mode. Don't quote me on that, but I know there are 3 for 1v1.

Woof. That's what I imagined it would be, but was hoping for more 1v1 maps than that. I'd pretty much just be in it for 1v1 if I get the game. I wonder if they'll be quick to add more maps post launch.

BigDes

Hmm reviews seem to be saying the campaign is a bit weak

I am far to shitty at these games to ever play multi so I am cautious about the campaign. Hopefully it will be good enough.

Ivellios

Hmm reviews seem to be saying the campaign is a bit weak

I am far to shitty at these games to ever play multi so I am cautious about the campaign. Hopefully it will be good enough.

Yeah me too, i only played DOW 1 and 2 for the single player and i liked both styles, so i hope the campaign is worth it

Qvoth

this is more conventional rts rather than the weird moba direction they were going with dow2?
that's good to hear

Violet_0

Banned
the DoW2 campaign was amzing in coop

RTS base building single player campaigns usually don't mix well. You just end up with a simulated mulitplayer match against the AI most of the time

rizzo0

Def going to buy this because me and buddy are huge Warhammer fans but with no coop or last stand....unless I'm missing something on both of those being revealed at a later date, I might just be waiting for a budget price.

the DoW2 campaign was amzing in coop

RTS base building single player campaigns usually don't mix well. You just end up with a simulated mulitplayer match against the AI most of the time

Yeah, this went from a must buy, to a "wait for it to hit 10 bucks". I loved the small squad focus in DOW2, im not one for base building at all. I tried Company of Heroes in SP and couldnt get past the 3rd or 4th mission.

Lanrutcon

I am thoroughly disappointed.

It doesn't look like any of the things that made DoW2 so goddamn spectacular made it to the sequel.

Stevey

Beta was solid, felt polished, looking forward to my Collectors Edition coming in the post next week.

So, the Open Beta has launched, so I think it's safe to finally post my closed beta impressions. The CB was only 6 weeks ago, so I doubt much has changed since then, especially when it comes to fundamental gameplay mechanics. This should be interesting especially for those people that loved DoW1 and are thinking that this game is like that, especially when it comes to base building (to tackle that right away: it's not). Note that's also only for the Multiplayer, but considering the reviews mentioning that the SP is weaker than in DoW1 and 2 makes it all the more relevant:

----

Valtýr;234316215 said:
So it's more of a traditional RTS? That's too bad - I liked the *hero* stuff from DOWII. I may still play this tho.
It's basically Dawn of War going almost all out on copying Starcraft with MOBA style towers and camera controls (in closed beta the maximum you could zoom out was wierdly to close to the ground to get a good overview over a large battle like you could in the first game, while the units look super small, Starcraft style even if you zoom in really close (the non-hero unit models also have very little details compared to DoW2 or even DoW1, they look like almost exact clones and e.g. squad leaders no longer exist as far as I could see, nor the option to add a hero/support unit to a squad); and generally super simplified base building compared to the first game.

Buildings basically only serve as roadblocks to recruiting more units, there are no towers, no mine fields, no defense structures whatsoever, ork buildings with built-in rather weak guns aside. The building roster from DoW1 is massively slashed. For example the Space Marines have a HQ you start with (no option to and no point in constructing more anyway, you can't relocate your base or build a new base/outpost anyway with how limited the maps are in size and approaches and if your base defense is breached the enemy player will just focus fire your core and win while mostly ignoring your base), 3 buildings for units (infantry A, infantry B, vehicles) and a listening post for flags, that's it. There is one research building that only has 2 DoW1-esque unit specific equipment upgrades (power swords for assault marines, rather pointless mines for the quite pointless not-stealthed, non-sniper scouts), the rest is Starcraft-esque +10% HP for all infantry, +10% attack for all infantry etc. global upgrades. Together with the two HQ research tiers you need for better units and the vehicle building... that's it. Very far cry from the complexity of base building in Dawn of War 1. Placement of the buildings doesn't really matter either, as the base towers keep you save from any attack until their generators near the middle of the map are destroyed and if they do get breached the game is done for anyway, almost no chance for a comeback when your core gets attacked (heck, many players even just ignore your base and focus your core which dies in about 40 seconds under heavy fire). They might have just have used unchangable building slots without an option to manually place your buildings at all, it would have made rather little difference.

Meanwhile the units (at least in CB) do rather pitiful damage, it takes almost forever for standard infantry units to do considerable damage to each other, only heavy weapon teams like Devastator Marines buck the trend. It also makes hero units very powerful and quite able to slaughter the "creep infantry".

Meanwhile the units are still about as expensive as in the first Dawn of War, so conserving units is important, yet for whatever reason Relic removed the Retreat command from Dawn of War 1/2 and Company of Heroes , which makes retreating units out of a fight difficult and often pointless. Relic didn't really know how to mainstreamify the system either, they removed retreat and left the high per unit costs, with units often having a lot less individual soldiers than DoW1 too, yet they still have the "re-spawn dead troopers at listening posts/in the base for depleted squads" thing in there, but considering how hard retreating is and how the name of the game is mostly just spamming and throwing more units at the enemy.... why bother.

They also completely removed the morale system by the way which was great and one of the absolute highlights of both DoW1 and 2, now every unit fights to the death Starcraft style.

Most what's left from the old Dawn of Wars is the capture points, which are far more spread out than many feared and make the map not that linear even with the towers. The towers are quite nice if anything, they prevent early game overs from all-in base rushes and are basically little threat to a mid/end game push, if the defending army is dead they barely have an impact. Cover is in in the form of a few captureable spots on the map, yet they are too few and too static to be of much use unless the enemy absolutely has to walk past them. It is absolutely critical to defend those capture points with troops, even moreso that energy production is now rolled into them as well instead of having to construct generators (another reason why there is little point to destroy bases instead of focusing on the core) you need to upgrade them with resources to not end up getting left behind by the opponents in income, yet the armed listening posts are basically incapable of stopping anything more threatening than one or two units of the most basic of infantry and turrets and mine fields no longer exist either.

Kill-synch animations were a large part of what made Dawn of War so visceral, the fighting personal and differentiated the game positively from most other RTS and was a joy to watch especially with the big/giant units, now all gone. Troops simply hack at each other/shoot each other and fall over dead.

Flanking troops, especially heavy weapons, like you could in Dawn of War 2 is now pointless too, everything, even set up heavy weapons (a wierd design decision to keep set-up times considering how the game plays and the emphasis on spamming high numbers of troops), can instantly turn around and face any threat, while flanking from a different side of the map into an engagement offers little benefit and the limited routes often mean you end up walking past a base turret which can seriously hurt your army for little gain, so the game usually results in two army blobs meeting each other head on.

I was a massive fan of Dawn of War 1 and really liked DoW2 too (heck, the first game made me buy into the 40k tabletop and splurge about $700 on it over time as well as read dozens of black library novels), but I'll pick up this game in a few months and on sale, hoping that the single player campaign is at least somewhat good. The last thing I wanted was Dawn of War to massively emulate Starcraft and have an awful MOBA camera (which works when you control one hero... but not an entire, giant army, especially when units like Whirlwinds and Devastators have so much range that you usually have to move the camera quite a bit from the center of the battle to even see them). After 4 multiplayer matches with the Space Marines I had the feeling that I had seen everything the entire faction had to offer (which isn't much) and didn't have any motivation to pick them up again (unlike Dawn of War 1, played hundreds of MP matches), from my 1-2 matches with the Orks and Eldar it looked the same for them, particularly the implementation of the scrap mechanic was pretty bad (run units over random re-spawning drops in your base to upgrade them, then throw them at enemy). And the xp requirements to level up even one hero unit were hilariously high and the xp payouts for a match (especially considering matches take much longer now with base rushes being out of the question) being comically low, if they didn't change them we are talking World of Tank levels here, which has rather bad grinding for a free to play game, mind. Yet one out of two "grand strategy" (either a big buff for the hero unit or the entire army) is locked at the far end of the grind tree of every hero unit. It played like a rather mediocre, run of the mill RTS with capture points and still more linear gameplay (even if not as linear as MOBAs, it does get rather close, especially with approaches to bases), something I'd rate 7.0/10 for the multiplayer, using the full rating scale, with DoW1 being a 9/10.
It is by far Relic's weakest strategy game without doubt.

As said, this was my impression from the Closed Beta a month ago, things might have been changed but I doubt it so shortly before release, with the game having gone gold and all.

Shinjica

So, the Open Beta has launched, so I think it's safe to finally post my closed beta impressions. The CB was only 6 weeks ago, so I doubt much has changed since then, especially when it comes to fundamental gameplay mechanics. This should be interesting especially for those people that loved DoW1 and are thinking that this game is like that, especially when it comes to base building (to tackle that right away: it's not). Note that's also only for the Multiplayer, but considering the reviews mentioning that the SP is weaker than in DoW1 and 2 makes it all the more relevant:

----

It's basically Dawn of War going almost all out on copying Starcraft with MOBA style towers and camera controls (in closed beta the maximum you could zoom out was wierdly to close to the ground to get a good overview over a large battle like you could in the first game, while the units look super small, Starcraft style even if you zoom in really close) and generally super simplified base building compared to the first game.

Buildings basically only serve as roadblocks to recruiting more units, there are no towers, no mine fields, no defense structures whatsoever, ork buildings with built-in rather weak guns aside. The building roster from DoW1 is massively slashed. For example the Space Marines have a HQ you start with (no option to and no point in constructing more anyway, you can't relocate your base or build a new base/outpost anyway with how limited the maps are in size and approaches and if your base defense is breached the enemy player will just focus fire your core and win while mostly ignoring your base), 3 buildings for units (infantry A, infantry B, vehicles) and a listening post for flags, that's it. There is one research building that only has 2 DoW1-esque unit specific equipment upgrades (power swords for assault marines, rather pointless mines for the quite pointless not-stealthed, non-sniper scouts), the rest is Starcraft-esque +10% HP for all infantry, +10% attack for all infantry etc. global upgrades. Together with the two HQ research tiers you need for better units and the vehicle building... that's it. Very far cry from the complexity of base building in Dawn of War 1. Placement of the buildings doesn't really matter either, as the base towers keep you save from any attack and if they get breached the game is done for anyway, almost no chance for a comeback when your core gets attacked (heck, many players even just ignore your base and focus your core which dies in about 40 seconds under heavy fire). They might have just have used unchangable building slots without an option to manually place your buildings at all, it would have made rather little difference.

Meanwhile the units (at least in CB) do rather pitiful damage, it takes almost forever for standard infantry units to do considerable damage to each other, only heavy weapon teams like Devastator Marines buck the trend. It also makes hero units very powerful and quite able to slaughter the "creep infantry".

Meanwhile the units are still about as expensive as in the first Dawn of War, so conserving units is important, yet for whatever reason Relic removed the Retreat command from Dawn of War 1/2 and Company of Heroes , which makes retreating units out of a fight difficult and often pointless. Relic didn't really know how to mainstreamify the system either, they removed retreat and left the high per unit costs, with units often having a lot less individual soldiers than DoW1 too, yet they still have the "re-spawn dead troopers at listening posts/in the base for depleted squads" thing in there, but considering how hard retreating is and how the name of the game is mostly just spamming and throwing more units at the enemy.... why bother.

They also completely removed the morale system by the way which was great and one of the absolute highlights of both DoW1 and 2, now every unit fights to the death Starcraft style.

Most what's left from the old Dawn of Wars is the capture points, which are far more spread out than many feared and make the map not that linear even with the towers. The towers are quite nice if anything, they prevent early game overs from all-in base rushes and are basically little threat to a mid/end game push, if the defending army is dead they barely have an impact. Cover is in in the form of a few captureable spots on the map, yet they are too few and too static to be of much use unless the enemy absolutely has to walk past them. It is absolutely critical to defend those capture points with troops, even moreso that energy production is now rolled into them as well instead of having to construct generators (another reason why there is little point to destroy bases instead of focusing on the core) you need to upgrade them with ressources to not end up getting left behind by the opponents in ressources, yet listening posts are basically incapable of stopping anything more threatening than one or two units of the most basic of infantry and turrets and mine fields no longer exist either.

Kill-synch animations were a large part of what made Dawn of War so visceral, the fighting personal and differentiated the game positively from most other RTS and was a joy to watch especially with the big/giant units, now all gone. Troops simply hack at each other/shoot each other and fall over dead.

Flanking troops, especially heavy weapons, like you could in Dawn of War 2 is now pointless too, everything, even set up heavy weapons (a wierd design decision to keep set-up times considering how the game plays and the emphasis on spamming high numbers of troops), can instantly turn around and face any threat, while flanking from a different side of the map into an engagement offers little benefit and the limited routes often mean you end up walking past a base turret which can seriously hurt your army for little gain, so the game usually results in two army blobs meeting each other head on.

I was a massive fan of Dawn of War 1 and really liked DoW2 too (heck, the first game made me buy into the 40k tabletop and splurge about $700 on it over time as well as read dozens of black library novels), but I'll pick up this game in a few months and on sale, hoping that the single player campaign is at least somewhat good. The last thing I wanted was Dawn of War to massively emulate Starcraft and have an awful MOBA camera (which works when you control one hero... but not an entire, giant army). After 4 multiplayer matches with the Space Marines I had the feeling that I had seen everything the entire faction had to offer (which isn't much) and didn't have any motivation to pick them up again (unlike Dawn of War 1, played hundreds of MP matches), from my 1-2 matches with the Orks and Eldar it looked the same for them, particularly the implementation of the scrap mechanic was pretty bad (run units over random re-spawning drops in your base to upgrade them, then throw them at enemy). And the xp requirements to level up even one hero unit were hilariously low, if they didn't change them we are talking World of Tank levels here, which has rather bad grinding for a free to play game, mind. It played like a rather mediocre, run of the mill RTS with capture points and still more linear gameplay (even if not as linear as MOBAs, it does get rather close, especially with approaches to bases), something I'd rate 7.0/10 for the multiplayer, using the full rating scale, with DoW1 being a 9/10.
It is by far Relic's weakest strategy game without doubt.

As said, this was my impression from the Closed Beta a month ago, things might have been changed but I doubt it so shortly before release, with the game having gone gold and all.

Thanks forum the info, if i font recidive a free copy with my new motherboard, i'll wait forum a sale

Gothos

Since everyone says the campaign is weak and there is no Last Stand mode I guess I'll get it after the price drops. I got a feeling it will come down quite quickly... Really shame they decided to streamline the whole formula :(

Already uninstalled the beta. This game blows, as most of us already feared. Its community won't last for more than a few months.

Glad the beta is back. Played the hell out of the space marines last time. Going to branch out and give good ole' Orks a try. They look fun as hell.

Favorite thing about this game so far is how much people over-estimate power of the super elites and waltz them into death. This game isn't all brawn, and they pay for it dearly.

Jinaar

Crushed a guy 13 minutes into the game in my first ever 1v1 MP match.

The game is beautiful, runs great and I like the micro/macro that happens. I'm going to be a rather average player I think long term but I cannot complain. Still, gimme Last Stand!

Bolivar687

Banned
For anyone just starting the closed beta I'm going to reiterate that you need to buckle up for an incredibly elongated learning curve. The MP is entirely about momentum and in each instant knowing exactly where you are in 1) your builder order, 2) the next objective to push, and 3) how to micro the units you currently have to win fights. The skill ceiling on each of these three disciplines is sky high but once you learn all of the units and their active abilities, the game starts to slow down. It's all about adding the next layer of diversity to your army to stay one step ahead of your opponent in the Elite fights and then identifying which part of the map to push next after each successful fight. Communication is absolutely key to team fights and playing with friends over voicechat will allow you to absolutely stomp opponents. I just rolled a twenty minute game where we outhoarded Elite Points at more than a 3:1 ratio with 32 at the the end of the game while they only had 10. The metagame is like a waltz of knowing when to keep moving forward and when to pull back as the match flows and ebbs with the Elites getting introduced, killed, and respawning again.

It took a long time for those of us in the first closed beta weekends to get a handle on it but once we did, it's a very rewarding and addicting game to learn and improve on with every match.

Lorcain

Wtf? That was one of the coolest things about all of the DoW games going back to the very first one. I'd argue that the kill synch animations were part of what made these games so unique, and perfectly fit with the lore.

Kalnos

Banned
Wtf? That was one of the coolest things about all of the DoW games going back to the very first one. I'd argue that the kill synch animations were part of what made these games so unique, and perfectly fit with the lore.

They suck in multiplayer and the game has a multiplayer focus, not really too surprising IMO.

More DoW1 and less DoW2 dials my hype back unfortunately. I loved the focus on Squad tactics and Hero progression of 2. I just can't get into base building and resource management.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
enjoying it for what it is. (Open beta) wish i could play against ai, but I guess gotta wait for full release.

its not perfect, and a tad complicated, but I think i got over the learning curve a bit.

Top Bottom