• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day One Buy : Horizon Forbidden west or Elden Ring

Which game do you plan to buy on launch day?

• Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 144 23.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 235 38.8%
  • Both

Votes: 134 22.1%
  • None .. (Don’t buy games on launch day)

Votes: 93 15.3%

• Total voters
I find it interesting that these two big open world games are coming out 1 week apart and no one seems to be talking about that.

Which game are you buying day one and why? (If you decide to pick one over the other)

Release Dates
  • Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5) - Feb 18
  • Elden Ring (PS4/PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC) - Feb 25

Last edited:

Fuchalmania

why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

Horizon
Already preordered it, can’t see any reason to doubt it’s quality.

Elden Ring might not be my type of game though, depends on the difficulty, I need some reviews before jumping in there.
Agreed..

I plan on picking up Horizon first just because I know it will be an easier and straight forward experience to get through.

I feel like Elden Ring will be even better over time as more people will have discovered secrets and different strategies to make the play through less brutal.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Elden Ring if I had to choose since souls games are always good
That said - I am getting both.... and plan to finish horizon before elden ring

H:FW is the exception

I could be wrong but something tells me there will be a catch. Like you have to play the PS4 version for a few hours or some shit to unlock the upgrade.

Because why would they charge $70 still for the PS5 edition when you can buy the PS4 edition for $10 less and get both editions. Makes no sense…

NewYork214

Horizon for me but here's the reason. I bought 3 soulsbourne games and barely got half way through any. So I am waiting for a sale on elden ring to pick it up.

Super excited for both. But I know I'll most likely platinum horizon in 1 in first month. Elden ring seems perfect for when I'm in a game drought. And will dedicate mad time to it

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Will be jumping on Elden Ring first. From Software always keeps entertained. Played the horizon and while it was beautiful some parts annoyed me so I'll wait for a sale, definitely going to play it so I can pick up twigs all day.

Cyborg

I have CE's for both coming in.... I didn't realize they came in the same month! (it wasn't the case when I put a pre-order.)

DeaDPo0L84

Elden Ring since I also have Dying Light 2 to play and by the time I'm done with those maybe news of a pc port of Horizon:FW will start to come out so then I'll just wait. If not I'll just grab it for my PS5, all the same too much shit to play, good problem to have.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
None. Worst versions for the worst price.

These days they throw discounts at you months if not weeks after release.

For Horizon I'll have to wait for the PC version anyway. I'll definitely buy Elden Ring, but not at launch.
christ.... you are a fun guy.
"not playing because it is not absolute perfection"
Sure go ahead. Wait for your PC version in a year... It comes free with crashes and performance issues !

And Sekiro and Dark Souls 3 pc ports are great.

edit: To be honest. I am still deciding if I want to get Elden Ring on pc or ps5

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Elden ring, easy peasy. I’ve already pre ordered two copies for me and my brother On PC for £30 a copy.

Elden Ring will provide years of gameplay while horizon will be a one and done for me. I’ll pick it up if somewhere has a cheap disk copy going day one, if not I’ll wait.

I managed to pick up ratchet and clank day one for £50 and sold it three days later after getting the plat for £48 cash. With the current costs of ps5 games there is no point pre ordering them imo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Imagine missing out on any of these two games.
Elden Ring for PC and Horizon for PS5. So both.
I also both but not sure if I want Elden Ring on pc or ps5 yet. Both are 60fps or close and ps5 will have less cheaters and faster loading probably... and dualsense... and physical release

Last edited:

Bramble

Horizon, no doubt. After the disappointments that are Far Cry 6 and AC Valhalla, I can't wait for a beautiful looking well playing accessible open world game to completely lose myself in.

I platinumed Bloodborne, but after trying DS3, Sekiro and Demon's Souls PS5 (and finishing none of them), I have no desire for that kind of game anymore (except if it's a Bloodborne remake). Gameplay looks to much Souls anyway and I don't enjoy that very much.

It's both for me. I'd like to get started on Horizon during the week it's out first but then I'll be straight onto Elden Ring when that comes out and be happy to let Horizon stew a little bit while I play through Elden Ring. I expect both games to be pretty solid at launch but I also expect Elden Ring to be more solid and so that little extra time for tweaks and post launch updates on Horizon will serve better to wait. Elden Ring just has me by the b***s I want to play it and I feel like a fantasy game more than a science fiction game at the moment, plus the previews of the game really have me amped for what it seems to be giving.

Horizon will be good fun and I'm sure I'll be back to finish it soon after Elden Ring. I absolutely loved the combat in the first game so if that's fairly similar and they've updated almost everything else it will be a no brainer love for me that I'll be happy to work through slowly.

The real question is whether I pick up Dying Light at the beginning of Feb. I think I'll wait for reviews of that and also probably give it a lot more time to become more bargain. Does seem to appeal to me though.

Haggard

Banned
Both ofc.

If Horizon is even remotely as good as its predecessor I´ll be done with it in no time anyways. Then I`ll sell it and turn my attention to Elden Ring on PC.
I´ve got Elden Ring preordererd for <40EUR anyways, so no point changing anything here.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm gonna play both, but I don't like having two huge games going at once, so I'm gonna have to prioritize Elden Ring. Horizon will have to wait.

cormack12

Gold Member
Horizon - the closed network tests did not convince me at all with Elden Ring. Artistically it's slick but yeah, just more of the same really. It has some good ideas but the open world really soured me. Having said that I'm not a massive fan of Souls games. Bloodborne is probably the one I like the most followed by DS III

nikos

Skipping Horizon because I can't stand Aloy. I'll probably buy Elden Ring and never finish it.

Not really hyped for either of these, to be honest.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Elden ring is a dark souls game, if you are not attuned to those types of games, i strongly suggest horizon dawn,

both are going to be magnificent either way, there is no losers here, buy with confidence :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Inviusx

If GT7 wasn't releasing a week later I would probably get Elden Ring. I will grab it later in the year for a discount. Horizon I will skip until it's in the bargain bin.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Got Elden Ring preordered. I just beat Horizon Zero Dawn base game like a week ago. I want to play Frozen Wilds before Forbidden West. Might be a little while before I get round to Forbidden West

Top Bottom