• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day One Buy : Horizon Forbidden west or Elden Ring

Which game do you plan to buy on launch day?

• Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 144 23.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 235 38.8%
  • Both

Votes: 134 22.1%
  • None .. (Don’t buy games on launch day)

Votes: 93 15.3%

• Total voters

Filben

There is an argument to be said about experiencing the launch day version. Almost like it was shipped to gold. It's not the best experience... but it is interesting :p
Absolutely! Especially when you want to engage in discussions, stream and upload videos of it, etc. It's just not something for me.

I, too, can say I was part of the Diablo 3 launch debacle when no one could log in until five hours after the release! Those were times...

Will play both but not at launch. Most likely horizon first though as I'm still kinda burnt out on the souls formula and elden ring doesn't look like it's deviating from it in any way. They just made it open world.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Both. Got $60 in Xbox gift cards from Christmas. So I’ll buy Elden Ring with that. Already pre-ordered Horizon on the PS Store. Next few months are stacked with games!

HZD was a lifeless, over-hyped open world snore fest. Dark Souls is one of the best games of all time.

Sooooo, yeah.

I love from games but their worlds are the definition of dead, even by design. You aren’t coming across any deep NPC quest, populated towns, getting companions or getting vast story arch’s.

It will be traveling across a ruined landscape with everything trying to kill you, and the occasional vendor. thats it.

Last edited:
Forgive me, but elden ring looks like a copypasta of dark souls without any graphical/technological improvement. Maybe it was just the network test, but it looks straight ripped from 2010, all kinds of clipping and the grass is stationary as you traverse through it. It seems like the “emperor has no clothes” situation. I mean, more dark souls is more dark souls, but having played GOT, you’re going to have to give me more this generation for $75.

Robb

Gold Member
Don’t have a Ps5 but if I did it’d be Horizon. I have no interest in Elden Ring, not my type of game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love from games but their worlds are the definition of dead, even by design. You aren’t coming across any deep NPC quest, populated towns, getting companions or getting vast story arch’s.

It will be traveling across a ruined landscape with everything trying to kill you, and the occasional vendor thats it.

I have to agree with Kagoshima_Luke Kagoshima_Luke on this one. HZD felt pretty and the story was good. But the world felt more dead than actually dead worlds of souls games.
Doesn't change the fact that I will get two on release

Last edited:
I have to agree with Kagoshima_Luke Kagoshima_Luke on this one. HZD felt pretty and the story was good. But the world felt more dead than actually dead worlds of souls games.
Doesn't change the fact that I will get two on release

I don’t entirely disagree, HZD felt empty and static but I’m not buying HZD I’m buying HFW (and Elden Ring) which they have claimed to gone out of their way to improve on that criticism.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Forgive me, but elden ring looks like a copypasta of dark souls without any graphical/technological improvement. Maybe it was just the network test, but it looks straight ripped from 2010, all kinds of clipping and the grass is stationary as you traverse through it. It seems like the “emperor has no clothes” situation. I mean, more dark souls is more dark souls, but having played GOT, you’re going to have to give me more this generation for $75.
you are wrong. And even if? Dark Souls 3 at 4k on pc looks amazing even today. All the geometrical detail... every tile, statue, stair brick. it's all separate hand placed details. I would argue that Bloodborne is even better looking than DS3
I am seeing almost similar detail here:

I need to see reviews on horizon first before I buy. It’s a game that was fun for 10 hours but the repetition got to me. I didn’t love the gameplay loop. Elden ring is day one.

sainraja

I already pre-ordered Horizon so I guess that is going to be it for me. I will most likely check out Elden Ring too.

GymWolf

Horizon Zero Nachos

OajCp9V.gif
Looking at that gif and aloy's face sound more like horizon forbidden diet...

you are wrong. And even if? Dark Souls 3 at 4k on pc looks amazing even today. All the geometrical detail... every tile, statue, stair brick. it's all separate hand placed details. I would argue that Bloodborne is even better looking than DS3
I am seeing almost similar detail here:

You’re benchmarking against bloodborne(frankly, a technical disaster) and DS3. While it stacks up relatively well against those two, it pales in comparison on an absolute or standalone basis, particularly given games like Ghost of Tsushima. I get wanting more Dark Souls, no argument there, but the video you linked only shows the lack of technical innovation against the wider swath of games including R&C, GOT, Dark Souls Remastered, ect.

Hari Seldon

I am so completely done with Soulsborne games that I would not purchase Elden Ring if it was free. Horizon... I'll wait for Sony's answer to gamepass or for some future heavily discounted version.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You’re benchmarking against bloodborne(frankly, a technical disaster) and DS3. While it stacks up relatively well against those two, it pales in comparison on an absolute or standalone basis, particularly given games like Ghost of Tsushima. I get wanting more Dark Souls, no argument there, but the video you linked only shows the lack of technical innovation against the wider swath of games including R&C, GOT, Dark Souls Remastered, ect.
no no no.
I am saying that bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 look as good as games today. Or even better...
Fkn look at it !!! Everything is hand placed, geometrical and not just normal map.

saintjules

Honestly, don't understand that you have to choose. Just buy HFW first as it comes first, finish it, then buy Elden Ring if you like that game as well. I won't buy Elden Ring as I don't like Souls games but if interested in it I won't be choosing, just buying what comes first then buying the other after.

Never understood either. If you work and make money and like both games, buy both. If you're cheap and/or broke, wait on a sale or choose 1 game.

NinjaBoiX

I’ll defo play ER as soon as I get around to it, love the franchise.

I’ll probably sit on FW until it’s mega cheap, I wasn’t sold on the first one. Played it for a couple of hours but found it kind of dull. The sequel looks a lot more interesting tbf.

I won’t day one either, just not how I buy and play games these days.

DragonNCM

Horizon, graphic & gameplay looks more appealing for my taste.
At last I can see what my PS5 can do :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Raven117

Elden Ring...Ive considered buying Horizon to and just keep it....but with GT7 also coming...it just makes sense to wait.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don’t entirely disagree, HZD felt empty and static but I’m not buying HZD I’m buying HFW (and Elden Ring) which they have claimed to gone out of their way to improve on that criticism.

Yeah, well what they showed in that tribes trailer doesnt seem anything special. It's just a bunch of different people. Even the first game had several different tribes.

We need to see just how these tribes all play out in the game, and what they have shown so far isnt good enough.

Yeah, well what they showed in that tribes trailer doesnt seem anything special. It's just a bunch of different people. Even the first game had several different tribes.

We need to see just how these tribes all play out in the game, and what they have shown so far isnt good enough.

I’ll take their word on it thats its a vast improvement over the first game

Laieon

None. I DO buy games on launch day, but games are mainly a form of relaxation for me, so I haven't been interested in anything From has done since Lost Kingdom 2. Hard games just aren't my jam. I still need to play through Horizon: ZD at some point, so Forbidden West can wait.

GymWolf

Every tribe in the world is just a bunch of different people...

All tribes in the first one had lore, etc.

skit_data

Dammit, I’ll probably just buy both. Or… fuck I need money for GT7.

Ok, if Horizon gets a 90+ MC I’ll get it and play before Elden Ring.

Don’t have a PlayStation so that just leaves me with Elden Ring, but that would be my first choice regardless. Got a preorder at BB so I get the steel book; I’m a slut for steel books.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I preordered(for the first and last time) Elden Ring, i will wait for %75 discount on Horizon 2 Pc port then i will decide if it's worth it lol.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I had to vote none.

I wouldn't buy Elden Ring day 1 or day 1000. I don't have and don't intend to get a PlayStation, but if I did, I'd probably get Horizon Forbidden West day one. HZD was the only game I really liked when I did have a PS4. I loved that game and would probably love the sequel.

Top Bottom