• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Creator, Jeff Ross got 8 Million number from Internal Source that matches third party website tracker.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If we use the same method of counting sales for other games that means forza horizon 5 SOLD like 14 million copies in a month!

Days Gone, the game that was berated by the majority before its launch, released in a buggy state to mediocre reviews, and had a small vocal community defending it against hords of harsh critics...is now hailed as a symbol of the big bad Sony sabotaging Bend and depriving the videogames community of a potentially amazing sequel...
Yeah, I do not buy it. Fake concern is the name of the game. 😏
I loved the game from the start and I'm glad people are asking for a sequel but where were all of these people when the game launched or even 3-4 months after?

ahtlas7

He needs another
drunk good vibes GIF by Petrossian

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I can't believe people are acting like whether the game selling 8mil or 6mil is actually relevant to whether the game should be considered a success or not.
Its a very good number for a new IP either way.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So Sony does not share sales numbers with the studios? Huh interesting
You can't make an informed argument based on your performance if you're missing your final, most important performance metric. SONY doesn't want to pay devs any more than they have to, or deal with pushback about creative control from local management. "Keep them in the dark and feed them shit," as the saying goes.

I can't believe people are acting like whether the game selling 8mil or 6mil is actually relevant to whether the game should be considered a success or not.
Its a very good number for a new IP either way.

Who needs to pat him on the ass to make him happy?

Fake

Who needs to pat him on the ass to make him happy?

You? IDK why his comments bother you so much.

Bloodborne was for me and many the GOAT, but never did 'wow' sales. Never saw anyone complaing or downplaying the game because of that.

He said he indeed have a tool to colect the data from the game, but what I keep seeing here are trash talk, hate posts and no argument so ever.

Frankly, IDK what this game did to you guys.

Bloodborne was for me and many the GOAT, but never did 'wow' sales. Never saw anyone complaing or downplaying the game because of that.

He said he indeed have a tool to colect the data from the game, but what I keep seeing here are trash talk, hate posts and no argument so ever.

Frankly, IDK what this game did to you guys.

People are sick of his twitter bs where he says something, goes on a podcast and says another thing just to drum up controversy for what is otherwise a very mediocre game that his own ex-studio wasn’t interested in doing a sequel for.

Fake

People are sick of his twitter bs where he says something, goes on a podcast and says another thing just to drum up controversy for what is otherwise a very mediocre game that his own ex-studio wasn’t interested in doing a sequel for.

So... maybe... stay away from twitter?

I never saw anyone complaing about him over twitter, in fact his last tweet was about 10/1 ratio between love and hate, but if you don't like him why even creating a thread about?

Jez.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Sony didn’t refuse it, Bend studio upper management refused it. Did you listen to the interview? They didn’t even pitch the story to Sony (Hermen, Shu)

This is more of a story about in studio fighting than it is about Sony. The studio didn’t want to make another Days Gone
What exactly is upper management at Bend studios? in-fighting? what are you talking about?

In the interview, they talked about local management, which I assume is the Sony branch they answer to since they are a Sony first-party dev.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The only reason why any of this is interesting is if you really liked the game and would like to see a sequel get made.
Judging by his hostile attitude, I doubt that's the case, so... not much doubt what his motives are!

What exactly is upper management at Bend studios? in-fighting? what are you talking about?

In the interview, they talked about local management, which I assume is the Sony branch they answer to since they are a Sony first-party dev.

The guy literally said he was always treated fairly by Sony and they gave them plenty of freedom with the game and that it was a great place to work

JayK47

Not a days gone by without another Days Gone post. I love the amount of love this game gets on GAF.

assurdum

Banned
I start to think this guy is a complete buffoon. He continues to talk about this game as a masterpiece, now we know sales number weren't trustful at all, seems the same studio wasn't that sure to want a sequel about it and now he said to have worked well with Sony when for months spitted out shit on them for the sequel fate. Maybe it's time to move on.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah the numbers looked suspicious but it was said by the ex-direct I thought it could be true.

BTW the site he used have huge margins of error… like 2-3 millions of difference in actual for some games.

Last edited:
I love how a mod edited the title of the thread and that information is still wrong lol

Jeff Grubbs numbers proves once again its false. There was never an 8 million number attached to this game

Jeff Ross on twitter:

Jeff Ross on the podcast after:

Here's what Ross said: "Where I got my data from, I had access to a lot of telemetry, and I could see stuff and when we were at 5 million copies – when we were announced at 5 million copies – the telemetry data was at 5.8 [million]. There are basically resells or shared discs. I was actually using an external website – I think they're offline now – but they were using trophy data and it lined up with our internal telemetry data so for me, it's like, 'good enough.'"

These two things contradict each other. If he had the bottom number by the time he left that means he used an unfounded metric to assume it sold 3 million more copies since he left. There’s is no concrete info on that, even if that site was somewhat accurate before he left (which it wasn’t, it was close) he’s just straight up lying.

Last edited:

Relique

If he's basing it on trophy numbers, that's very skewed.

The game was on PSNow, PS+, and PS5 PS+ Collection.

That can potentially inflate the numbers in the millions.

Myself, I've played the game on PS5 through PS+ Collection.

I really enjoyed my time with it and got the Platinum.

I always found it strange that the game got greenlit in the first place. The setting is so similar to the Last of Us... Why allow two games with so much in common? I get why they didn't push for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to their new game, whatever it is.
Well he said it was 8 million around the time he left which was announced in early December 2020. Days Gone wasn't given away via PS+ until April 2021 so that can't be it.

Edit: It was part of the PS+ collection for PS5 launch but that was mid November. Doubt it contributed much to these numbers if at all

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The guy literally said he was always treated fairly by Sony and they gave them plenty of freedom with the game and that it was a great place to work
Dude, read his damn tweet, he said: "Local studio management always made us feel like it was a big disappointment". We are not talking about his work under Sony for 20 years, we are talking about Days Gone and why it was refused a sequel and if Sony treats Bend differently because of the "low" scores.

Dude, read his damn tweet, he said: "Local studio management always made us feel like it was a big disappointment". We are not talking about his work under Sony for 20 years, we are talking about Days Gone and why it was refused a sequel and if Sony treats Bend differently because of the "low" scores.
I listened to the actual podcast he was on where they go into far more detail. He wasn’t talking about SIE he was talking about the management at Bend Studio.

Last edited:
Sony didn’t refuse it, Bend studio upper management refused it. Did you listen to the interview? They didn’t even pitch the story to Sony (Hermen, Shu)

This is more of a story about in studio fighting than it is about Sony. The studio didn’t want to make another Days Gone

The winning faction at Sony Bend making the new IP today better make a better game than DG because they will surely hear from the fans of DG. I can see this new IP will be shred to death.

We'll see eventually if this internal politics within Sony Bend brings us a better game or a worse game.

Boss Mog

He explain on the @davidjaffe livestream (with people here keep ignoring, IDK why) that even if Days Gone was beating GoW/HZD in sales, Sony would never be happy because Sony is looking for metacritic numbers from now.
He even joke saying "they maybe don't like mix scores games, but still want all the money they can generate".

A lot of reviews unfairly dissed it just because the hero was an all American white guy from a rural area, you know, the kind that wouldn't necessarily vote democrat and that really upset a lot of the modern woke game "journalists" out there.

The winning faction at Sony Bend making the new IP today better make a better game than DG because they will surely hear from the fans of DG. I can see this new IP will be shred to death.

We'll see eventually if this internal politics within Sony Bend brings us a better game or a worse game.

I think chances are pretty slim it won’t be a all around better game. They have experience on their side and john garvin not writing the plot.

I also think its gonna be a graphical showcase, its either on unreal 5 or decima. To me, literally anything is better than zombies

I also think the media will be a lot more kind to it after all this

Last edited:
These two things contradict each other. If he had the bottom number by the time he left that means he used an unfounded metric to assume it sold 3 million more copies since he left. There’s is no concrete info on that, even if that site was somewhat accurate before he left (which it wasn’t, it was close) he’s just straight up lying.

He's saying the site shows 8+ million before he left and before PS+. So looking at how the previous number of 5 million from the site reflects that internal number (with only more than 10% margin of error), the sales number of Days Gone should be close to 8 million before he left. And it went on to sell more than 1 million copies on PC afterwards and probably a number of copies more on the PS systems despite the inclusion to PSNow and PS+.

He's saying the site shows 8+ million before he left and before PS+. So looking at how the previous number of 5 million from the site reflects that internal number (with only more than 10% margin of error), the sales number of Days Gone should be close to 8 million before he left. And it went on to sell more than 1 million copies on PC afterwards and probably a number of copies more on the PS systems despite the inclusion to PSNow and PS+.

Sorry thats just not a reliable way to gauge sales, on top of all the other metrics involved.

It’s good if the guy just moves on and let the current bend make what they’re making without all the bullshit articles about the studio

Last edited:
Not a very good source since some disc games are being resold several times. Ebay and other platforms are usually flooded with used games, especially short after the release.

A lot of reviews unfairly dissed it just because the hero was an all American white guy from a rural area, you know, the kind that wouldn't necessarily vote democrat and that really upset a lot of the modern woke game "journalists" out there.
It's not about voting Democrat I don't think that character would vote for either party, I'd picture him as someone who thought it was all BS and just ignored everyone. Gaming journalists aren't really democrats they are lazy extremists meaning they'll sit back and type while looking down on everyone else but don't actually do anything. Only a small group of people actually mentioned the straight white guy thing though, but they got 99% of the attention.

Reviewers should ONLY review the quality of what is in front of them and not try to add their own way of thinking. The story can be good if it doesn't agree with your world view, a character can be interesting even if he's not a guy you'd hang out with etc. I'm as liberal as an Alaskan summer day is long and I loved the game, a middle-aged gay guy from So Cal loved it lol so no it's not about Dem or Repub it's about obnoxious jackass gaming journalists who likely went right from school to working at a gaming website and haven't really dealt with people in the real world who aren't always like them.

Regardless, chasing metacritic is the way to go. We would never have gotten Last Guardian or Dreams or hell psvr2 if Sony cares only about sales.

Boss Mog

Straight white guy in days gone = 71 mc

Straight white guy in uncharted = 94 mc

Why won’t people admit this was juts a below average game?
Like I pointed out, Deacon isn't a straight white guy in the same way as Nate Drake, he's the kind of straight white guy woke game journalists hate, someone they would assume to be a Trump supporter. I'm not saying the game was as good as God of War or Ghost of Tsushima but it probably deserved a bit more than 71. A lot of people bought it and liked it and I don't really understand why that seems to piss you off so much?

Relique

Like I pointed out, Deacon isn't a straight white guy in the same way as Nate Drake, he's the kind of straight white guy woke game journalists hate, someone they would assume to be a Trump supporter. I'm not saying the game was as good as God of War or Ghost of Tsushima but it probably deserved a bit more than 71. A lot of people bought it and liked it and I don't really understand why that seems to piss you off so much?
Yeah I think you hit the nail of the head. And it's not just Deacon either, there are themes of tribalism, patriotism, conservatism, and other ideas that journalists may find "problematic" regarding characters and settlements in the game. Some people also underestimate the difference that 3 years made (between Uncharted 4 and Days Gone) regarding modern gamer culture, and gaming journalism in particular. Basically what I am saying is the shit got way more woke in the past few years.

dyergram

I liked the game but it’s clearly not at the standard of the other Sony fp games which is probably why the sequel didn’t get green lit imo.

Kagey K

Banned
So is 8 million good? Or average?

Just trying to figure out how this compares to all the other Bombas.

Nezzeroth

Comparing sales numbers as the only metric of success for a game is idiotic anyway. If that were the case, Dead Space and Mirror’s Edge would be big successes, but they weren’t because EA had to drop the price to 20€ to move units.

Ghost of Tsushima is still around 50€ not counting sales. That wasn’t the case with Days Gone.

Shubh_C63

So its probably around 5-6M. Even if it was 8M+ the franchise would had no legs for the sequel when even the initial sales were lukewarm (compared to other Sony IPs)

Sony isn't treating them badly, they just greenlit Men In Black which is a joint Marvel and Sony IP (?)
Thank god we aren't getting another soap opera zombie game but something fresh and "alien"

Top Bottom