• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Creator, Jeff Ross got 8 Million number from Internal Source that matches third party website tracker.

Yesterday, Game Informer reported that Days Gone director Jeff Ross said Bend Studio's latest game sold more than Ghost of Tsushima, which recently hit a milestone after selling 8 million copies. However, in a recent livestream with former God of War and Twisted Metal director David Jaffe, Ross revealed that his source for the sales numbers was a now-defunct website called Gamestat, which tracks PlayStation Trophy data, as reported by PushSquare.

Here's what Ross said: "Where I got my data from, I had access to a lot of telemetry, and I could see stuff and when we were at 5 million copies – when we were announced at 5 million copies – the telemetry data was at 5.8 [million]. There are basically resells or shared discs. I was actually using an external website – I think they're offline now – but they were using trophy data and it lined up with our internal telemetry data so for me, it's like, 'good enough.'"

Ross then said that when leaving Sony, you don't necessarily get final numbers for a game's sales. Ross also said as a creative director, he didn't have access to the complete and official Sony numbers.

"I think [Gamestat] still has the data archived," Ross continued. "Based off the 8 million mark, it matched our telemetry and so I'm like, 'good enough.' So maybe it was 7.7 [million]-ish, maybe it was 8.2 [million]-ish, I don't know."

AlexxKidd

He also said Sony was the best place he ever worked and they had the best culture.

craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif

Maybe it was 7.7 million instead of 8 million?

SCANDAL, GET THE PITCHFORKS!!

Well, the thing is that he took a moment away from Ghost of Tsushima and had the internet in a frenzy thinking they sold the same and big ol’ mean sony were unfair to them. That has been the narrative since that tweet.

The obvious conclusion here is that Days Gone sold no where near 8 million because its been on ps plus and ps plus collection and that it sold a lot of its units for not even close to full price. So trying to say that it was the same situation as Ghost was just a flat out lie and just a way to rile people up.

It basically robbed Suckerpunch of their big breakout story

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
If he's basing it on trophy numbers, that's very skewed.

The game was on PSNow, PS+, and PS5 PS+ Collection.

That can potentially inflate the numbers in the millions.

Myself, I've played the game on PS5 through PS+ Collection.

I really enjoyed my time with it and got the Platinum.

I always found it strange that the game got greenlit in the first place. The setting is so similar to the Last of Us... Why allow two games with so much in common? I get why they didn't push for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to their new game, whatever it is.

Bragr

Banned
Well, the thing is that he took a moment away from Ghost of Tsushima and had the internet in a frenzy thinking they sold the same and big ol’ mean sony were unfair to them. That has been the narrative since that tweet.

The obvious conclusion here is that Days Gone sold no where near 8 million because its been on ps plus and ps plus collection and that it sold a lot of its units for not even close to full price. So trying to say that it was the same situation as Ghost was just a flat out lie and just a way to rile people up.

It basically robbed Suckerpunch of their big breakout story
Well, we don't know that unless Sony gives out numbers, considering the sales of Days Gone that was reported, it's not crazy to think it hit 7-8 million.

Days Gone, the game that was berated by the majority before its launch, released in a buggy state to mediocre reviews, and had a small vocal community defending it against hords of harsh critics...is now hailed as a symbol of the big bad Sony sabotaging Bend and depriving the videogames community of a potentially amazing sequel...
Yeah, I do not buy it. Fake concern is the name of the game. 😏

Last edited:
Well, we don't know that unless Sony gives out numbers, considering the sales of Days Gone that was reported, it's not crazy to think it hit 7-8 million.

Ok but sony gave numbers for ghost…that was the original point. We can’t guesstimate the number of copies Days Gone sold to compare the two, whats the point of that?

I might as well say the last guardian sold 8 million so why isn’t that getting a sequel?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Well, the thing is that he took a moment away from Ghost of Tsushima

While it's understandable that he was likely talking out of disappointment from Sony's treatment of Days Gone, I did not appreciate that. It felt like a spark of envy, which really isn't very nice to see when a studio is celebrating the success of their game.

I did guess the number was not legit anyway. Sony would have never given him the authorization to reveal official sales data on that kind of occasion, and in that way.

Last edited:

Skifi28

What isn't a PS+ game? God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted (all of them), Bloodborne, FFVII Remake, etc. Almost all great PS exclusives go to PS+.
Uhm, ok? And if we're trying to calculate the sales of other PS plus games based on trophies, I imagine we run into the exact same issue.

Uhm, ok? And if we're trying to calculate the sales of other PS plus games based on trophies, I imagine we run into the exact same issue.
Right. If we were using the same metrics for something of god of war it might be around 40 million.

Uncharted 4 had a player count of 39 million 2 years ago

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thread title seems misleading, numbers were from internal data. Gamstat was close to their numbers.
Yeah, he's saying that when they hit 5 million sales, the trophy stuff was around 5.8 million. So he's extrapolating the sales from the Gamestat number which was at 8.8 million when he left.

Yeah, he's saying that when they hit 5 million sales, the trophy stuff was around 5.8 million. So he's extrapolating the sales from the Gamestat number which was at 8.8 million when he left.

I know you can’t possible think thats in anyway near accurate.

The game was at 5 before he left, and thats before it was on PS Plus Not to mention before he even left the game was discounted. Either way you slice this the sales are no where near comparable to ghost of tsushima, especially for him to throw a fit on twitter about it

bitbydeath

The game was at 5 before he left, and thats before it was on PS Plus Not to mention before he even left the game was discounted. Either way you slice this the sales are no where near comparable to ghost of tsushima, especially for him to throw a fit on twitter about it
You got a few things wrong here. His 8m figure is from before he left and before PS+.

So going by Jeff's data the game hit 5 million sales around 9-10 months after release. Horizon hit 7.8 in 12 months.

Good numbers soured by a long messy development. I think Jim/Hermen would be fine with a sequel, but going by the interview the real issue is they'll need to have a new director with interest to push it and support from local management.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

He left before it went on ps+

And how many used sales and copy sharing do you think happens? 10% is what Ganestat recommends and I’m assuming they have done their research based on numbers that do get revealed. Its really not that hard to figure out. What is the ghost of tsushima number on that webite?

Bragr

Banned
Ok but sony gave numbers for ghost…that was the original point. We can’t guesstimate the number of copies Days Gone sold to compare the two, whats the point of that?

I might as well say the last guardian sold 8 million so why isn’t that getting a sequel?
Yeah, but I think what the original tweet is hinting at, is that Sony would never celebrate Days Gone in that manner at all, even if it hit 8 million.

Stuart360

What the, so the developers of the actual game dont know exact numbers?. I always thought that would be a given.

Yeah, but I think what the original tweet is hinting at, is that Sony would never celebrate Days Gone in that manner at all, even if it hit 8 million.

We can’t know that because we don’t know how the game sold or if it made a profit.

I’m sure if the game was super successful sony would be shouting it from the mountain tops, because why wouldn’t they? Unless we’re to assume they have some sort of personal grudge against this studio in particular which sounds even more absurd.

They didn’t make the game for no reason. They’re in the business to make money, if the game hit a financial milestone we would know about it because it makes Sony look good. Shit, they’d prob have a show in production for it already

Last edited:

bitbydeath

We can’t know that because we don’t know how the game sold or if it made a profit.

I’m sure if the game was super successful sony would be shouting it from the mountain tops, because why wouldn’t they? Unless we’re to assume they have some sort of personal grudge against this studio in particular which sounds even more absurd.

They didn’t make the game for no reason. They’re in the business to make money, if the game hit a financial milestone we would know about it because it makes Sony look good. Shit, they’d prob have a show in production for it already
Sony have been very vocal about it.
I don’t think we’re getting the full story here.
Sony have been supportive of Days Gone.

A)
They call it a powerhouse IP.

E2W3x-cWQAA8t5L

B)
They gave it new life on PC.

images

C)
They labeled it as a game that defined last gen.

Fake

He explain on the davidjaffe davidjaffe livestream (with people here keep ignoring, IDK why) that even if Days Gone was beating GoW/HZD in sales, Sony would never be happy because Sony is looking for metacritic numbers from now.
He even joke saying "they maybe don't like mix scores games, but still want all the money they can generate".

Last edited:

SlimySnake

He explain on the davidjaffe davidjaffe livestream (with people here keep ignoring, IDK why) that even if Days Gone was beating GoW/HZD in sales, Sony would never be happy because Sony is looking for metacritic numbers from now.
He even joke saying "they maybe don't like mix scores games, but still want all the money they can generate".

Yep. When they ported days gone to PC i thought they were doing it to generate more brand awareness for the sequel but no they were just doing it to generate more revenue.

Bragr

Banned

That is the crux of this discussion. Sony was very disappointed when it didn't hit 80+ on Metacritic. They flat out refused Days Gone 2 without thinking about it, and assumed the game was gonna sell maybe 3 million max and go away. That Sony has always treated Days Done as their ugly duckling because of the low scores and maybe some of the drama.

That is the crux of this discussion. Sony was very disappointed when it didn't hit 80+ on Metacritic. They flat out refused Days Gone 2 without thinking about it, and assumed the game was gonna sell maybe 3 million max and go away. That Sony has always treated Days Done as their ugly duckling because of the low scores and maybe some of the drama.

Sony didn’t refuse it, Bend studio upper management refused it. Did you listen to the interview? They didn’t even pitch the story to Sony (Hermen, Shu)

This is more of a story about in studio fighting than it is about Sony. The studio didn’t want to make another Days Gone

Last edited:

W11d

This is the only Sony game that received permanent price cut on ps store only six months after release

Last edited:

Fake

This is the only Sony game that received permanent price cut on ps store only six months after release

TLOUS2 on Brazil receive a permant discount too (R$60,00, GoT $259,00, Days Gone R$99,00) my dear neo member, but anw whatever suits you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom