• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone: DF PC Tech Review + Graphics/Performance Thread

skakmk

Is it so hard to comprehend that ps4 code is running at 60fps on PS5?

I don’t understand this need to crap on PS5 version when you now have the option to play this game on PC? That too as a well optimized port. Sigh...

Last edited:

evanft

Everyone screaming about "WELL ACKTUALLY THERE'S NO REAL PS5 VERSION" are really pathetic. It just comes off as pure Sony fanboy cope because Sony didn't do nearly as good of a job with BC as MS did. If they had, Bend likely would have been able to enhance Days Gone beyond just unlocking the framerate. We could have had the improved load times, lighting, and textures available in the PC version. Instead Sony limits BC games and we're stuck with FPS boosts and little else.

And before anyone says I'm an Xbox fanboy or whatever, I've had a fucking PS5 since November and love it.

Runs great and looks pretty good.

Unlimited gas and ammo has made it a treat though.

Are there already cheats or mods available?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Is it so hard to comprehend that ps4 code is running at 60fps on PS5?

I don’t understand this need to crap on PS5 version when you now have the option to play this game on PC? That too as a well optimized port. Sigh...
It really doesn't matter. Putting PS5 code vs. PC code (like in multiplats) it's going to lose anyway. So it's not like they could do more on the rendering side @ native 4k to match the performance. The load times would definitely be better with PS5 code but other than that, I think PS5 would still come up short. The proof of this is obviously the multiplatform games that have released so far.

Last edited:

Fake

It just comes off as pure Sony fanboy cope because Sony didn't do nearly as good of a job with BC as MS did.
And before anyone says I'm an Xbox fanboy or whatever, I've had a fucking PS5 since November and love it.

Lol. By your logic, I'm a hard fanboy for making a critic about the 'PS5 version' thing, but you can't be a Xbox fanboy because you said you can't, you have a PS5.

In true nature you guys whining about the whining are far more fanboys. That was just a commentary about the video analyze, I don't even talking about that anymore, but you guys keep digging.

Last edited:
Looks great on PC judging by the video.

I think some of the reviews on this were harsh but I can categorically state I will never play it again - even the first time it outstayed its welcome.

I normally love a good double dip but this and Horizon were once and done games for me. I would double dip GoT and GoW for sure though.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Very little dead zone on mouse look (WTF) and that annoying crosshair that "shrinks". Other than that no other problems with the gameplay.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Looks great. This load times over the PS5 version are surprising and the ssgi looks shockingly good too. I was shocked by the load times on the PS4Pro when I played this game last year.

Some of you can argue semantics all you want as far as PS5/PS4 code, but point is, there isn't a 60fps version of this game on PS4Pro so it's a different version if you are running it on PS5.

Looks great. This load times over the PS5 version are surprising and the ssgi looks shockingly good too. I was shocked by the load times on the PS4Pro when I played this game last year.

Some of you can argue semantics all you want as far as PS5/PS4 code, but point is, there isn't a 60fps version of this game on PS4Pro so it's a different version if you are running it on PS5.
Exactly, Johnny who doesn't have a PS5, can't play this game at 60fps on his ps4pro. I'm not even sure why people are getting upset about this?! There are pitchforks raised at Alex Battaglia or anyone who refers to the ps5 version of the game, as the ps5 version of the game. Because it's just that, the ps5 version of the game.

To further drive that point, why were people excited when they realized they can play 60fps on the ps5 version? If it were the same on ps4pro, people would have been enjoying 60fps from back then. Maybe Sony will sell the game again on ps5 in the future and possibly give it to PC gamers for free since it's a fresh release. Maybe PC will be the only one to receive the definitive edition? We don't know, but it's childish to argue this isn't the ps5 version.

sainraja

Seriously guys. The length some of you guys will go....it's unbelievable. Days Gone only has a PS4/Pro version which is enhanced on the PS5 with 60 fps (likely via a patch). The arguments that you guys are now trying to use, basically means BC does not exist on either platforms since on both systems you are able to benefit from improvements to previous gen games. On XSX, there are some games that are considered enhanced (not upgraded to XSX mind you) but I guess they are NOT backwards compatible games anymore and are automatically converted to be XSX/PS5 games.

Hell, PS3 also added some small benefits to PS1 games. So those PS1 games are now PS3 games, lol.

Exactly, Johnny who doesn't have a PS5, can't play this game at 60fps on his ps4pro. I'm not even sure why people are getting upset about this?! There are pitchforks raised at Alex Battaglia or anyone who refers to the ps5 version of the game, as the ps5 version of the game. Because it's just that, the ps5 version of the game.

To further drive that point, why were people excited when they realized they can play 60fps on the ps5 version? If it were the same on ps4pro, people would have been enjoying 60fps from back then. Maybe Sony will sell the game again on ps5 in the future and possibly give it to PC gamers for free since it's a fresh release. Maybe PC will be the only one to receive the definitive edition? We don't know, but it's childish to argue this isn't the ps5 version.
^^ See above. People who have previous gen consoles also can't benefit from other improvements that are provided to games that are BC in the newer consoles. That doesn't automatically change what platform the game was designed for. It is still the PS4/Pro version. You need to understand that the PS5 and XSX are able to play games from the last generation with some added benefits. It's not a hard thing to understand.

No pitchforks have been raised. Stop with the drama.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I think it's great for PC players to get their hands on this game. However, the graphical differences are minimal between the PS5 and PC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone screaming about "WELL ACKTUALLY THERE'S NO REAL PS5 VERSION" are really pathetic. It just comes off as pure Sony fanboy cope because Sony didn't do nearly as good of a job with BC as MS did.

It's a worthwhile distinction to make, though. There are basically three categories for PS4 games on PS5: straight up backwards compatible (run like they do on PS4 Pro), enhanced backwards compatible (usually just unlocked frame rates like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, and now The Last of Us II), and PS5 "remasters" like Spider-Man and Judgment.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Running it at 4k maxed with a 90fov gets me into the 90s so I turned down the render res to 80% and have 120fps now. Love the setting and vibrancy of the world. All the wind moving the trees and greenery is really nice.

It looks good and super smooth even with the more demanding settings.

5900x/3090/64gb 3600mhz DDR4 playing off SSD.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
After playing it for about 45 minutes I can say that it's really optimized and smooth compared to horizon. Not that horizon ran poorly for me because I think that was just fine as well giving the hardware that I have but I will say that it looks very good graphically and there's a lot going on screen. The frame rate holds up incredibly well and I would be lying if I say that having a g-sync display did not help. The CX really brings more to the game and being able to do 4k120 is really nice.

I'm just debating on just running it at 100% render resolution though because it's so smooth with g-sync that I don't feel like I'm really missing anything and the extra detail in the image quality is worth the loss and performance given that it's well above 60 all the time even with everything cranked up and 100% resolution.

mckmas8808

Banned

It's not a different "version". What is wrong with you guys? Are you trolling?

Because it is still the PS4/PS4Pro version of the game.
The patch only makes the game offer a new additional mode with higher framerate. It's aware that there's "other tier machine" out there and that's it. It's the same code and assets, and the PS5 for it's part runs this and other games on "PS4/PS4Pro" backwards compatibility mode. It discards everything new, it behaves like the last gen hardware (including IO). That's why Navi is the way it is, it was designed thinking about offering hardware level compatibility for the consoles, the PS5 GPU enters a "GCN Mode", it even lower the it's clocks. These patches for the PS5 only allows the GPU to run at a higher clock rate to achieve higher FPS similar to how the PS4 Pro offers a "boost mode" with clocks slightly higher than the PS4.
It's fundamentally different from how the SeX and Virgin works. The Boxes hijack the game code to suit their hardware, the PS5 prostrates itself to suit the code.

It's a misnomer, it's conveniente to call it "the PS5 version", but in fact it's not exactly that.

yurinka

Is there a native PS5 version of the game or are they talking about the PS4 version running on PS5 via BC? Because he always says PS5 but that loading time seems BC to me instead of a native PS5 version.

Just to mention that Alex keep saying 'PS5 version', but there is no PS5 native APP of this game. The game is using the graphic settings of PS4 PRO via BC mode.

'PS5 version is using very low', there is no PS5 version.

Ah, ok thanks. I posted before reading the thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's not a different "version". What is wrong with you guys? Are you trolling?

It's literally a different version.

Big Brother Fight GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
It really doesn't matter. Putting PS5 code vs. PC code (like in multiplats) it's going to lose anyway. So it's not like they could do more on the rendering side @ native 4k to match the performance. The load times would definitely be better with PS5 code but other than that, I think PS5 would still come up short. The proof of this is obviously the multiplatform games that have released so far.
it's clear

IntentionalPun IntentionalPun

At first I thought you were talking about the default mouse movement being ultra sensitive, but I encountered a weird bug and think I understand what your concern is now: Mouse aiming sometimes stops working for a split second. Even though it doesn't happen often and isn't game-breaking by any means, it's still annoying. So far, it only seems to happen to me while I'm getting into cover. Hasn't happened during combat, or at least not that I've noticed.

On Demand

Banned
Very suspect they lately have been using the Windows 10 label for PC when before it would just say PC.

Couldn’t be any more obvious.

Loope

Lol. By your logic, I'm a hard fanboy for making a critic about the 'PS5 version' thing, but you can't be a Xbox fanboy because you said you can't, you have a PS5.

In true nature you guys whining about the whining are far more fanboys. That was just a commentary about the video analyze, I don't even talking about that anymore, but you guys keep digging.
I See GIF by TV Land

ACESHIGH

Banned
Geez the backlash against DF... This confirms my theory that Sony fanboys are BY FAR the worst on this industry.

Media outlets don't have to blow Sony all the time guys.

Also what would this magical ps5 version of Days Gone bring to the table that's not possible on the current pc version? They used CPU and GPU time already to duplicate the framerate from the pro version. They may ditch checkerboard for a full 4k presentation maybe? Not sure if the ps5 is able to run the game at 4k 60 though I think it lacks GPU grunt.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
IntentionalPun IntentionalPun

At first I thought you were talking about the default mouse movement being ultra sensitive, but I encountered a weird bug and think I understand what your concern is now: Mouse aiming sometimes stops working for a split second. Even though it doesn't happen often and isn't game-breaking by any means, it's still annoying. So far, it only seems to happen to me while I'm getting into cover. Hasn't happened during combat, or at least not that I've noticed.
Yeah seen elsewhere people saying there was "deadzone" problems but I don't even know what that means.

kyussman

Happy for all PC players who get to enjoy this underrated game.....I had a blast on PS4.I recommend Hard II difficulty,it makes the world feel tense and dangerous while also avoiding any bullshit moments.Have fun!

Great Hair

Banned
tMCBqiD.png

I'm confused. Was a Native PS5 version of the game released?

I thought it was just the PS4 version with a cap set to 60FPs. Not like NiOh which is a native PS5 game.

I have played it a little on my PC and its not capped at 60 as I can get 120ish fps at 4k

Oh no I was talking about the PS4 version on the PS5. Somebody mentioned that there was a native version out for it but all I heard was that it's just the PS4 version with a cap set at 60FPs. No idea if anythings changed since then. I already knew there wasn't a cap with the PC version.

Top Bottom