• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone: DF PC Tech Review + Graphics/Performance Thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the screen space global illumination solution they implemented. There are some visual artifacts, but not that noticeable to me unless you have lots of objects in the foreground. Such a great looking game.

Rikkori

3WNMptD.png

FfzuetL.jpg

Oof... Trying to quadruple the framerate from PS4, on an Ampere + Zen 2 rig.

Still couldn't get a locked 120fps.
Nvidia GPUs gonna get bottlenecked by a 3700x, esp. without really tight memory, but regardless. In this case it doesn't matter because AMD gpus won't do better due to it using an old UE4 branch which is usually shit with AMD, plus game runs well enough as it is so no biggie. If DXVK ran with this that'd be sweet.

Md Ray

Nvidia GPUs gonna get bottlenecked by a 3700x
This bottleneck is due to DX12 by and large. DX11 is actually faster which is what DG is using.

Also, you can see almost half of the total cores and half of the total threads aren't being utilized at all.

Last edited:

Rikkori

This bottleneck is due to DX12 by and large. DX11 is actually faster which is what DG is using.
No, it's in DX11 too. Their drivers use the CPU better in DX11 than AMD's but it's still below what a lower-level API like DX12/VK would be.

Think about it like this, if with DX12/VK you could have 100% of the GPU's theoretical performance then in DX11 you'd only get like 85-90% for NV, but lower than that for AMD (which is where the advantage was).

Plus Zen 2 still wasn't that strong of a gaming CPU compared to Intel's best & Zen 3 (Cache King ftw).

Md Ray

No, it's in DX11 too. Their drivers use the CPU better in DX11 than AMD's but it's still below what a lower-level API like DX12/VK would be.

Think about it like this, if with DX12/VK you could have 100% of the GPU's theoretical performance then in DX11 you'd only get like 85-90% for NV, but lower than that for AMD (which is where the advantage was).

Plus Zen 2 still wasn't that strong of a gaming CPU compared to Intel's best & Zen 3 (Cache King ftw).
In particular, WD Legion is faster with DX11 than DX12 on NVIDIA hardware.

AMD GPUs behave as they should with newer APIs. But yeah, DX12 was supposed to increase perf over DX11 but it's only AMD's GPUs that are benefitting from it even when paired with weaker CPUs.

With NVIDIA, their driver overhead is also playing a big role in limiting perf.

Rikkori

In particular, WD Legion is faster with DX11 than DX12 on NVIDIA hardware.

AMD GPUs behave as they should with newer APIs. But yeah, DX12 was supposed to increase perf over DX11 but it's only AMD's GPUs that are benefitting from it even when paired with weaker CPUs.

With NVIDIA, their driver overhead is also playing a big role in limiting perf.
Btw just saw this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

E16E0WuWQAcUyFf

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That 5950X is in a different realm altogether. :messenger_anguished:
That's a significantly overclocked CPU that runs over twice what the highest Intel CPU they tested price wise though. (if you can even find it)

Intel is a mess but they are now actually pricing their CPUs affordably lol

Last edited:
Looks like a solid port. I'm glad I held out on this one, I was going to get it on PS4 a few months back. I'll probably pick this up after I get to Village

Interested to see what Sony brings to the PC next. Bloodborne is the obvious choice. I was thinking the last guardian would look absolutely incredible at 4k 60. I also wouldn't mind buying God of War again to play on PC. Let's do it Sony, there's plenty of suckers like me that are ready to buy your games again on PC.

Is a bait. Just leave him speak to the wall.
As a sidenote:
I think they reacted to the massive criticism on Alex Battaglias Days Gone Video in that last DF Weekley.
It was obvious to me that how it was approached was planned to not make it look like Richard comes down on Alex to much.
But he was agreeing with the critics main point. That it was poorley handled in that Days Gone Video with all the mentioning of "PS5 Version" of Days Gone.
So they made it like that that Alex would bring up the point and Richard would then give his Opinion about it.

If Richard would have started the topic it would have came across as He (Alex) would get openly criticized about it.
So they chosen this approach to handle the issue.
But the important point is that they recognized the flaws in his video..

Fake

As a sidenote:
I think they reacted to the massive criticism on Alex Battaglias Days Gone Video in that last DF Weekley.
It was obvious to me that how it was approached was planned to not make it look like Richard comes down on Alex to much.
But he was agreeing with the critics main point. That it was poorley handled in that Days Gone Video with all the mentioning of "PS5 Version" of Days Gone.
So they made it like that that Alex would bring up the point and Richard would then give his Opinion about it.

If Richard would have started the topic it would have came across as He (Alex) would get openly criticized about it.

I guess this is an important thing you know. When someone make a video, he look at the viewers and listen to the feedback, what I did wrong or what I did right, how can I improve.

From today standarts (like IGN, Gamespot), those people act like 'I'm right, everyone is wrong', go to twitter and beg twitter warrirors to be defended.

I really glad Richard told him about that and clarify if that was a PS5 version could use the native SSD more efficient. Even John adress that in his TLOUS2 video.

Last edited:

yamaci17

3WNMptD.png

FfzuetL.jpg

Oof... Trying to quadruple the framerate from PS4, on an Ampere + Zen 2 rig.

Still couldn't get a locked 120fps.
Bruh, this is nothing

You barely double the framerate of PS4 in AC Odyssey with a 8700k/3700x

It will mostly hover around 55-65 in Athens/Sparta. PS4 locks to 30 FPS across all the regions. Pretty fun stuff.

Check this out, bottleneck at 55-60 FPS ROFL. Supposedly, a single Ryzen 3600 core should be around 4.5-5 times faster than a 1.6 GHz Jaguar core! [2.5 times the frequency (4 ghz vs 1.6 ghz), at least twice the IPC (jaguar vs zen 2)

LMAO. 5 times brute force for barely 2 times frames. The glorious PC master race.

New Zen 2 cores on consoles will shred every current-gen CPU if the same applies to new generational games. And it will, most likely.

That Days Gone is blessing compared to most of the ports. At least you got more than two times frames, lol, that person is lucky to get that.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Bruh, this is nothing

It will mostly hover around 55-65 in Athens/Sparta. PS4 locks to 30 FPS across all the regions. Pretty fun stuff.

Check this out, bottleneck at 55-60 FPS ROFL. Supposedly, a single Ryzen 3600 core should be around 4.5-5 times faster than a 1.6 GHz Jaguar core! [2.5 times the frequency (4 ghz vs 1.6 ghz), at least twice the IPC (jaguar vs zen 2)

LMAO. 5 times brute force for barely 2 times frames. The glorious PC master race.

New Zen 2 cores on consoles will shred every current-gen CPU if the same applies to new generational games. And it will, most likely.

That Days Gone is blessing compared to most of the ports. At least you got more than two times frames, lol, that person is lucky to get that.

Not even double the frame-rate... Tbf, even the previous entry AC Origins suffered from this issue and to my understanding this is due to DX11 API and they're probably using low-level DX12/GNM APIs on consoles to extract every bit of performance.
giphy.gif

Bruh, this is nothing

What's with the anti-PC salt? Mediocre PCs utterly annihilate PS4, it's just a fact. No need for salt.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s also a PC game now that somehow looks better than the PS5 version.

Depends on the PC, there was a minimum spec build thread a few days ago. That's "worse" than ps4, but who gives a toss anyway because if you can enjoy the game on whatever equipment you have to hand, job done.

That the game scales so nicely just shows that effort was put into the port.

yamaci17

What's with the anti-PC salt? Mediocre PCs utterly annihilate PS4, it's just a fact. No need for salt.
A 3600(pretty much a 8700-8700k) and a Vega 56 (1070, 1070ti) was pretty much a high-end system in 2018, and the said game was released in 2018.

And it failed to deliver a reliable 60 FPS lock over the PS4 version. I find it hilarious. And this is not a special case, it is the case with most of the ports.

4 years later, a PS5 and SX will keep locking to 60 in AAA games, but I'm pretty sure "supposedly" equivalent 3700x will probably have a hard time locking hovering around 40s-45s

Last edited:
4 years later, a PS5 and SX will keep locking to 60 in AAA games, but I'm pretty sure "supposedly" equivalent 3700x will probably have a hard time locking hovering around 40s-45s
Uh, no. Games on PC will always run at least as good as on console. What makes you think they will run worse? Does AC: Origins run worse than on console? Obviously not.

yamaci17

Uh, no. Games on PC will always run at least as good as on console. What makes you think they will run worse? Does AC: Origins run worse than on console? Obviously not.
Because consoles games run more efficiently CPU wise?

API overhead is lower? They can extract more performance out of a console CPU? What else there is to say?

DF managed to find the equivalent CPU to the Xbox One X. They clocked it to 2.35 Ghz. You can see how it fares against the Xbox One X. Up to 2 times more performance. What else there is to say?

Clearly console API and overhead enables console CPU to extract more performance.

2-3 years later, games can still lock to 60 on a PS5 or Series X due to this factor alone. But they may not on a 3700x because;

- dx12/vulkan is not a miraculous API and its nowhere near consoles when it comes to being close to metal
- we don't know how much boost consoles CPU gain from having access to high bandwidth GDRR6 memory. desktop 3700x will forever be constrained to 50-60 gb/s of ddr4 bandwidth

hence, a 3700x will not be able to keep up with a series x throughout the generation. if you really think that developers will do extra work to hit 60 FPS target for a 3700x, you're mistaken. by the time it gets to 40 fps, you will bicker about "its an old CPU, upgrade anyways" so this is a pointless discussion. you will find ways to justify it being weaker than consoles by that point.

if you don't believe the consoles will not hit the 60 FPS target steadily, you're also mistaken. they managed to hit 30 fps target reliably through the entire generation with a few exceptions (biggest being Cyberpunk, as evidenced by the video). and those were 1.6-2.2 ghz jaguar cores. they will surely lock to 60 with new cores through the new generation.

Last edited:
Because consoles games run more efficiently CPU wise?

API overhead is lower? They can extract more performance out of a console CPU? What else there is to say?

DF managed to find the equivalent CPU to the Xbox One X. They clocked it to 2.35 Ghz. You can see how it fares against the Xbox One X. Up to 2 times more performance. What else there is to say?

Clearly console API and overhead enables console CPU to extract more performance.

2-3 years later, games can still lock to 60 on a PS5 or Series X due to this factor alone. But they may not on a 3700x because;

- dx12/vulkan is not a miraculous API and its nowhere near consoles when it comes to being close to metal
- we don't know how much boost consoles CPU gain from having access to high bandwidth GDRR6 memory. desktop 3700x will forever be constrained to 50-60 gb/s of ddr4 bandwidth

hence, a 3700x will not be able to keep up with a series x throughout the generation. if you really think that developers will do extra work to hit 60 FPS target for a 3700x, you're mistaken. by the time it gets to 40 fps, you will bicker about "its an old CPU, upgrade anyways" so this is a pointless discussion. you will find ways to justify it being weaker than consoles by that point.

if you don't believe the consoles will not hit the 60 FPS target steadily, you're also mistaken. they managed to hit 30 fps target reliably through the entire generation with a few exceptions (biggest being Cyberpunk, as evidenced by the video). and those were 1.6-2.2 ghz jaguar cores. they will surely lock to 60 with new cores through the new generation.

Have we watched the same video? Both CPUs are very close to each other, the PC one being slightly worse because of bandwidth limitations. It also has nothing to do with what your average gamer is experiencing. Any 100 dollar CPU absolutely crushes last gen console CPUs for obvious reasons. The same will be true for this generation. Once CPU intense games start arriving on consoles, the desktop 3700x will be a cheap budget CPU. And by the time we reach the end of the generation and games that clearly shouldn't be running on XSX/PS5 because of terrible performance arrive, the 3700x will be so old it's gonna be entirely irrelevant.

evanft

As a sidenote:

6KwVECX.png

Top Bottom