• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone is the closest thing to a perfect open-world zombie game that I could hope for, but the pacing of the story is what drags it down

The Stig

id like to add to this thread that this game had one of the best g
Pretty much this, a solid 7/8 but nothing too special, its also really fucking long, you open up a second area at a natural stopping point as well, I legit thought it was a cliffhanger for a sequel and nope, another 30 hours to go!

It relied far too much on the Biker story(years after Sons of Anarchy was done) and the spectacle of the Hordes, of which there are not many at all
there are plenty of hordes.

but you dont see them until later

Puscifer

I think the Pacific Northwest being one of those areas that go unexplored for movies and games really added to it's appeal and not being set in a city and more of the country added to it.

But they really didn't nail the pacing but I believe if you're more than willing to create your own fun in between you'll likely never notice.

Last edited:

digdug2

Loved the game and it’s story. Not at first but at some point it just clicked for me. Well, up until that final section part at least which felt super tacked on and tainted the game for me. The game should have ended right where the switch happened.
Dude, same (for the most part). I got the game on PS4 Pro when it first came out and put off playing it for a while because my motorcycle kept falling through the ground and the beginning was super slow. Once it was fully patched and I made it through the first couple hours, I absolutely enjoyed the shit out of it. I even enjoyed the last section.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Snow as well, no other game does this.

Snow sections in RDR2 are always snow covered.

Yeah, that was also pretty cool, although sometimes it triggered at the wrong times, lol. For example, I remember exiting a cutscene this one time during which the weather was clear and all of a sudden everything was covered in snow, lol. But then it started to melt away and I was thoroughly impressed how the snow didn't just vanish but the weather went into a light rain and everything started to melt away, making the road wet with puddles of water everywhere.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Snow as well, no other game does this.

Snow sections in RDR2 are always snow covered.

It snowing looks so fucking stupid when Deacon SAINT JOHN just drives around on his bike without gloves or any form of protection and not giving a shit.

Playing through this on PS5 right now. There are still some bugs, especially with NPCs, but idk, I’d give it a 7 so far. Main character is a douchebag who probably listens to Five Finger Death Punch. I know it won’t happen, but I’ve been secretly hoping a sniper ambush blows his head off and it becomes the Boozer show.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's a game better than the sum of it's parts. It's story is kinda dogshit to be honest, but the gameplay and setting are done very well and it really helps the shortcomings of the actors and story itself. I think somewhere in the 7.5/8 out 10 kinda thing.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Playing through this on PS5 right now. There are still some bugs, especially with NPCs, but idk, I’d give it a 7 so far. Main character is a douchebag who probably listens to Five Finger Death Punch. I know it won’t happen, but I’ve been secretly hoping a sniper ambush blows his head off and it becomes the Boozer show.
Umm... I listen to 5FDP... sometimes.

Singular7

One of my favorite games, I played it about 6 months ago on a beefy PC in survival mode (with a mod to re-add the mini-map).

Flawless experience after the first ~30 minute intro part which I almost quit during.

Tickled my RDR2 love-bone.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is probably Debra Wilson's best performance because it's a minor one and her eyes arent halfway popping out of her head. The game also displays probably the most realistic portrayal of a gay female couple Ive seen in a game. This game and Last of Us with Bill did the gay the right way.

Fuck Skizzo

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Game is the Assassin's Creed of Sony. It's not that good, a really bad pace, and was launched with so many bugs

CashPrizes

I got like 8 hours into it. Hated how I was exploring all these areas and scavenging but I was always maxed out on resources. There was no incentive to explore, I would break into a new interesting building and like..... some reagents for bandages, some ammo I didn't need. So I basically just wasted 10 minutes. Very rarely were there like lore notes to find or emergent storytelling.

They either needed to make resources way more scarce like in Last of Us, where you are almost always out of everything and finding like half a scissors is exhilarating, or made money and trading goods more of a thing then constant bandage materials and ammo and bike crud I am full on.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

They overestimated how good their open world is. Its believable, its just not interesting.

And the story is cringe.

bitbydeath

I got like 8 hours into it. Hated how I was exploring all these areas and scavenging but I was always maxed out on resources. There was no incentive to explore, I would break into a new interesting building and like..... some reagents for bandages, some ammo I didn't need. So I basically just wasted 10 minutes. Very rarely were there like lore notes to find or emergent storytelling.

They either needed to make resources way more scarce like in Last of Us, where you are almost always out of everything and finding like half a scissors is exhilarating, or made money and trading goods more of a thing then constant bandage materials and ammo and bike crud I am full on.
It depends on your difficulty setting.

GymWolf

This is probably Debra Wilson's best performance because it's a minor one and her eyes arent halfway popping out of her head. The game also displays probably the most realistic portrayal of a gay female couple Ive seen in a game. This game and Last of Us with Bill did the gay the right way.

Fuck Skizzo
Rikki trying to get deacon's piston wasn't exactly loved by the alphabet gang:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Merkades

Seeing this and the FFXVI pacing topics just reinforces my belief that I just can't agree with a lot of people on games. I have finished this game 2.9 times (ps4/5 and PC), I could start it again right now and finish it. Not once did I ever think about pacing. It is a similar thing with the whole "empty open world" thing... Which since I said that, Hogwarts Legacy had so much junk filling it up it actually was annoying. I literally could not walk 100 feet without running into something "most" of the time. There was like 50+ Merlin trials when you only needed 25? One treasure vault in the last area was literally like 20ish feet above another one. And I almost never mind the MC or NPCs chatting, with the only real exception being constant repeats. I won't even start on some other things that annoy me.

Anyways, I am not saying this isn't an issue for some people, mostly just venting I guess.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Seeing this and the FFXVI pacing topics just reinforces my belief that I just can't agree with a lot of people on games. I have finished this game 2.9 times (ps4/5 and PC), I could start it again right now and finish it. Not once did I ever think about pacing. It is a similar thing with the whole "empty open world" thing... Which since I said that, Hogwarts Legacy had so much junk filling it up it actually was annoying. I literally could not walk 100 feet without running into something "most" of the time. There was like 50+ Merlin trials when you only needed 25? One treasure vault in the last area was literally like 20ish feet above another one. And I almost never mind the MC or NPCs chatting, with the only real exception being constant repeats. I won't even start on some other things that annoy me.

Anyways, I am not saying this isn't an issue for some people, mostly just venting I guess.
Some people prefer the constant over-stimulation, I guess. I remember reading somewhere that the reason why we have so many of those repetitive tasks to complete in between assassination missions in the original Assassin's Creed, is because Ubisoft CEO's kid played one of the earlier versions before the release and complained that there's "nothing to do" in the game. So, the developers were ordered to put something in the open world to keep the players busy. In short, the reason why so many games waste our time with pointless bullshit like that, is that stupid fucking kid, lol.

Top Bottom