• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DBRAND releasing PS5 faceplates in 2021, dares Sony to sue them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbFu66Y.png

via Reddit
As the title of this post suggests, we're now the global leaders in PS5 Faceplates.

Sue us, Sony.

This project has been in the works since just before we told you not to buy PlayStation 5 skins. Spoiler alert: this is why we told you not to buy PlayStation 5 skins.

After moving a few more chess pieces through four dimensions, we added a new production line to our plastic injection molding facility and got to work. The skills we’ve refined through the past few years of developing the Grip Case has uniquely positioned our organization to create OEM-grade Faceplates: ones with all of the precision, attention to detail, and needlessly elaborate packaging that you've come to expect from dbrand.

We'll be entering mass production on PS5 Faceplates by year's end. However, we won't be accepting orders until we have stock at our Toronto HQ, ready to ship. If CD Projekt RED has taught us anything, it's that selling products before they're finished is a bad idea.

If you're among the millions of humans who didn't get a PS5 for Christmas, stay calm when you see these go out-of-stock. We anticipate that the demand will outpace supply at launch, but rest assured Faceplates will be a permanent fixture in our portfolio.

On the other hand, if you’re among the millions of scalpers hoping to differentiate their overpriced PS5 with a custom faceplate, we encourage you to sign up for the launch notification here.

That's it from us. Congratulations on surviving 2020. We'll try harder in 2021.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why would Sony sue them? What am I missing here?

Looks much better in all black than the garish white and black.

I love dbrands style of PR/marketing, need more of it.

Why would Sony sue them? What am I missing here?

Looks much better in all black than the garish white and black.

I love dbrands style of PR/marketing, need more of it.
The first ones to pop up were Platestation, Sony threatened legal action because of trademark infringement. Then Platestation changed their name into something else, they thought they were good but Sony kept threatening and told them the trademark extends to the plates and if they don't stop offering these, they'd sue them.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
kinda curious to see what happens with the face plates, sony like to sell limited edition consoles but with he face plates surely it will be easy to copy the limited editions

saintjules

They removed the PS logo in the corner of what?

d-brand's version of their plates will most likely be without the PS logo that's on the top corner to one of the PS5's plates (left). The Sony brand logo that's inside on the opposing plate will also not be present on the custom one obviously. Probably the ways to avoid any trouble with licensing.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'd get one if it had the PS logo. I display mine sideways and vertically, it's the only decent angle for this behemoth.

d-brand's version of their plates will most likely be without the PS logo that's on the top corner of the PS5's plate and the Sony brand logo that's inside on the opposing plate. Probably the ways to avoid any trouble with licensing.
Well... their whole shtick is to "debrand" something, so the logo wouldn't have been there even if it was a licensed item. The plates also don't have the PS face button icons on the inside, they "have something better" according to the PR guy on reddit.
What about the center glossy black piece? Looks matte in their image, how do we do that?
The middle part is a skin.

Aenima

Has any regular human successfully ordered, received, and posted pics of this?
Yes. They sent a package to youtuber that does unboxings. Yong Yea also ordered a set, but they are all sold out and only have new waves available to April or something.

Not sure if anyone that ordered one from the initial wave has received them.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yes. They sent a package to youtuber that does unboxings. Yong Yea also ordered a set, but they are all sold out and only have new waves available to April or something.

Not sure if anyone that ordered one from the initial wave has received them.

From the thumbnail alone that looks so much better. Glossy plastic is horrible, and so is white.

Ulysses 31

Did anyone here tested already?? Curious about quality or if easy to assemble etc.
I go the black dbrand plates and they're just as sturdy as the white plates. Easy to install. Glossy plastic was a little trickier to cover exactly with the matte finish.

Kilau

Gold Member
Dbrand makes good stuff but I don’t like the all black look. System is just so awkwardly shaped and sized I feel like it needs that break up of color in the middle.

If we get black sides and white middle though it will look like a giant Oreo.

JoeBudden

Dbrand makes good stuff but I don’t like the all black look. System is just so awkwardly shaped and sized I feel like it needs that break up of color in the middle.

They have a few different designs, not just all black.

I got the triple black MKBHD theme back in May and man it looks amazing.

You can choose a different middle like many are saying already. I went with a white middle because i wanted the oreo look as well!

They are still perfect and just as high of quality as the white panels that came with the PS5s.
oh wow sorry you replied super fast lol. I edited my post cause i just woke up and can't read lol. I responded to your post thinking you had posted when the thread was originally created. I'm dumb and need caffeine lol. anyways thanks for the reply they look like a good alternative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom