• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 leads all-new Top Three | UK Boxed Charts Minecraft Legends just about beats Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp to No.2

onQ123

Sales of boxed video games dropped 6% in the UK week-on-week, despite the release of three new titles.

The best-selling new release was Dead Island 2 by Deep Silver, which shuffles to the top of the UK boxed charts. It is the third biggest game release of the year, behind Hogwarts Legacy and Resident Evil 4. It sold roughly half of what Resident Evil 4 managed, but significantly better than Dead Space. We won't know how the game compares to the original until the digital data is released later in the week.

Coming in second place is Minecraft Legends. The physical game sold best on Nintendo Switch, which accounted for 76% of its sales. Not only is digital data missing from these figures, but Minecraft Legends (which is published by Microsoft) is part of Xbox Game Pass, too. The PlayStation versions accounted for 19% of boxed sales, with the remaining 5% on Xbox.

Just missing out on second place is Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp on Nintendo Switch (although the game is No.2 in the Single Format Charts). This game was destined to be a tough sell. It's the first game in the series for 15 years. It was initially due early last year, but was postponed following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. When it finally has arrived, it's launched into a tough market, and just a few weeks before the big new Nintendo game (The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom). As a result, it's no surprise it hasn't done huge figures, but it has found an audience following positive reviews last week.

Elsewhere, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe drops to No.4 with a 13% sales slide. While FIFA 23 falls four places to No.5 after a 25% drop.

In fact, only two games in the entire Top 40 (Red Dead Redemption 2 at No.38 and Kirby and the Forgotten Land at No.31) saw a rise in sales week-on-week. This is partially due to the end of the Easter sales period.

The bump caused by the recent Mario movie is starting to drop off, with Super Mario Odyssey down a place to No.6 after a 25% sales drop, while New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is down a place to No.11 with a similar sales tumble.

Here is the GfK UK Boxed Top Ten for the week ending April 22, 2023
mC20bOA.png

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/dead-island-2-leads-all-new-top-three-uk-boxed-charts

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
tbf, the new entries is kinda weak.

Just watched some streamers played dead island 2, looks repetitive as fuck and the world settings feels static, theres no sense of danger or anything.

SaintALia

People expected much of Advance Wars? It's a remake of a GBA game, which was delayed due to the war, and is still releasing during the war, and I don't think this chart tracks Nintendo's digital sales right(I thought it was going to be digital only for some reason)? I'm amazed it even charted in the UK.

Good for Dead Island 2 though, for a long while I thought the game was pretty dead.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Happy to see Dead Island 2 pulling off nice sales, despite being in development hell. Well deserved.

Mario Kart though….who still doesn’t own this yet??!!

onQ123

Switch got PlayStation looking like Xbox in Minecraft Legends sales ratio 😂

And even still Xbox only sold a fraction of PlayStation version & it's an Xbox IP .

Great to see Minecraft Legends doing well. Hopefully it develops a great community.

Would like to get into PvP action later once I am done with the campaign.

Woopah

People expected much of Advance Wars? It's a remake of a GBA game, which was delayed due to the war, and is still releasing during the war, and I don't think this chart tracks Nintendo's digital sales right(I thought it was going to be digital only for some reason)? I'm amazed it even charted in the UK.

Good for Dead Island 2 though, for a long while I thought the game was pretty dead.
I don't think it will do too well, but if it sells over 1 million units then Nintendo will report its sales number.
Tried to Google it. Worldwide sales was 50 million in feb 2022, guessing it’s at most 60 million now, means 60 million still doesn’t own it yet since Switch has sold 120 million.
🤓
Its at 52 million on Switch and 8.46 million on Wii U, so you're pretty spot on!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Mario Kart 8.

Are peoples copies of Mario Kart 8 getting stolen so they have to keep repurchasing them or what?
Cuz I swear it seems like Mario Kart has been on the top 10 charts since the game launched.

Fake

Mario Kart 8.

Are peoples copies of Mario Kart 8 getting stolen so they have to keep repurchasing them or what?
Cuz I swear it seems like Mario Kart has been on the top 10 charts since the game launched.

Is just like GTAV. Somehow people keep buying.

Three

So that makes sense....potentially 25 million gamepass subs or more would bring it down to around 45 million and the game sold three times as much 45 x 3 is 135 million.

Simple maths.....

Season 6 Dancing GIF by CBBC
It sold 4x as much. Keep in mind these are UK boxed sales too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Don't they include digital sales now?

I remember with the last chart they did.

Edit: I might be thinking about something else to be fair.

Ok? Just trying to point out that the x3 in the calculations should be x4.

The UK has two trackers. Gfk only does physical whereas GSD does both.

Digital will come later, but I will be surprised if it pulls up much. We would need data on how many people have played it on Xbox through gamepass. but anyway, 4 times more sales it is :D

Mr Hyde

I wonder how Dead Space fared? It doesn't seem like it was a big hit. I don't think EA has released any official numbers either. I'm hoping it does decent so EA can fund either a fourth entry or a remake on Dead Space 2.

H4ze

Dead Island 2 is a legit good game, playing atm and having a blast, even with the butchered German version of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom