• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 listed on Amazon with February 3, 2023 release date, new box art, screenshots, and description

Draugoth

Gold Member
FaaFhvxX0AA2PzN

a1I7VrU.jpg

rRQ23ix.jpg

pgMp0tj.jpg

Yk3yB7R.jpg

Xbox link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B94XBQZ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PlayStation 4 link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B94SHMRP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PlayStation 5 link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B94THZRT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Game's description:

• Dead Island 2 takes players across the most iconic locations of the City of Angels, now stained with horror, in an exciting pulp journey from the verdant suburbia of Beverly Hills to the quirky promenade of Venice Beach
  • Combat delivers the most intense, visceral and gory first person experience possible, with plenty of weapons and tactical (and brutal) options to chew your way through the zombie horde
  • There are 6 characters to choose from, each with their own unique personality and dialogues - You can fully customize the abilities of each Slayer, with our brand-new skill system allowing you to re-spec instantly and try out the craziest builds.
  • Our LA is crawling with zombies that look & react realistically - These mutated wretches are the reanimated, rotten heart of Dead Island 2 with dozens of distinct zombie types, each with their own mutations, attacks & hundreds of LA-themed variants
  • Day 1 Edition includes the Memories of Banoi Pack - Banoi War Club, Memories of Banoi Baseball Bat, Weapon Perk – balanced, Personal space skill card
A deadly virus is spreading across Los Angeles, California, turning its inhabitants into ravenous zombies. The city is in quarantine and the military have retreated. Bitten, infected, but more than just immune, you learn to harness the zombie inside. Only you, and the handful of other swaggering fellows who happen to be resistant to the pathogen, holds the future of LA (and humanity), in the balance. As you uncover the truth behind the outbreak you’ll discover who – or what – you are. Survive, evolve, save the world – just another day in LA! The much-loved zombie saga is back with a unique formula of horror, dark humor and over the top zombie-slaying, spanning an epic pulp adventure. Dead Island 2 is a thrilling First-Person Action RPG that takes players across a brand-new playground. Stylish, vibrant and flooded with zombie infection, explore iconic, gore-drenched Los Angeles. Meet larger-than-life characters. Slay countless foes in exquisitely bloody detail. And evolve to become the ultimate Zombie Slayer. See you in HELL-A!

Last edited:

fatmarco

I hope this games story takes itself seriously in a B movie sense like the first one. Hell even Dead Rising 1, 2 and 3 took themselves seriously despite the goofy gameplay. For some reason that mix of silly gameplay but dead serious story works for me.

EDMIX

whats the different between this and dying light?

I heard the first one is very repetitive or something

Honestly, its hard to say. We know its likely going to follow how the first game was in terms of design, but for all we know they take ideas from Dying Light considering its success.

It would make sense to take ideas from what they saw from Dying Light and ideas from Dead Island 1.

So...i feel if you are worried about it being repetitive, i don't know if anything I've seen thus far is showing that will change or something lol

wipeout364

Hope it’s good, weird that it’s in LA and still called dead island. Enjoyed the first two games but Dying light is so good it’s going to have to something special.

Barakov

So this looks like it's finally coming out? I liked Dead Island 1 and just thought Riptide was alright.

DL2 is a absolute bugfest. Due to a major bug I am not able to move on in the story.
Techland living up to its' name. I don't remember the first DL being that bad but it seems like with DL2 that new bugs keep popping up.

whats the different between this and dying light?

I heard the first one is very repetitive or something
My bet? They will make this more deliberately slower paced with less parkour, increase combat difficulty to souls-like levels of punishing, and make it more brutal/visceral to give combat more of a dangerous feel than Dying Light.

If I'm wrong, this will just be a more lighthearted mirror of Dying Light 1.

JonSnowball

My bet? They will make this more deliberately slower paced with less parkour, increase combat difficulty to souls-like levels of punishing, and make it more brutal/visceral to give combat more of a dangerous feel than Dying Light.

If I'm wrong, this will just be a more lighthearted mirror of Dying Light 1.
Actually it's the complete opposite. Since the development of this started several years ago the aim has been a bombastic, over the top style experience. Even the updated Amazon description details that....the old media previews made it look like a Dead Rising sequel with weapon crafting systems from a first person perspective, but with more excessive gore.

The much-loved zombie saga is back with a unique formula of horror, dark humor and over the top zombie-slaying, spanning an epic pulp adventure.

Actually it's the complete opposite. Since the development of this started several years ago the aim has been a bombastic, over the top style experience. Even the updated Amazon description details that....the old media previews made it look like a Dead Rising sequel with weapon crafting systems from a first person perspective, but with more excessive gore.
I wasn't necessarily talking about the tone. It can still be wacky but difficult(arguably like some of the Dead Rising entries). I was more talking about it's gameplay compared to DL 1 and 2. If the second part of your statement still holds true then they need to reword this part of the description:

• Combat delivers the most intense, visceral and gory first person experience possible, with plenty of weapons and tactical (and brutal) options to chew your way through the zombie horde

Regardless it's giving me hope that they aren't just going to copy Dying Light.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Pretty boring cover. Basically copied the Far Cry 4 cover but replaced Neymar with Willian and gave him sunglasses.

HmQCYexmTfdsfDQnf3L6vux2ulWX75Zt.png

Comedy Central Noice GIF

(just kidding, looks good visually from screenshots at least but they are probably doctored so let's not read too much into them)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is set in California?
So it's a life in California simulator then going by the screenshots?

kikii

dunno has this posted before but anyways =)

E: damn im literally pro nub :p

Last edited:

Kupfer

Too bad, the screenshots suggest that it will be another fun slasher that doesn't take itself too seriously. I would have found a serious, dark, gritty, hardcore, brutal, scary horror direction refreshing, unlike the first two Dead Islands and Dying Light.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Loved the first game to death (wink wink), will be interesting to see how the new devs do with the IP, really dig everything Techland has done in the genre, big boots to fill. Screenshots look fantastic, cautiously optimistic.

JonSnowball

I wasn't necessarily talking about the tone. It can still be wacky but difficult(arguably like some of the Dead Rising entries). I was more talking about it's gameplay compared to DL 1 and 2. If the second part of your statement still holds true then they need to reword this part of the description:
I re-read your post, for some reason I interpreted the brutal/visceral part as tone instead of gameplay style. Sorry about that. For what it's worth the leaked build was sort of action oriented and generally fast to navigate gameplay wise with a few vehicles, but it felt like Dying Light with less of a horror tone and more bright. The leaked build at least was sort of inventory management focused and not a huge free-for-all but probably most comparable to Dead Rising 2 as far as finding pieces and crafting crazy ass weapons.

What show was the Dead Island 2 fakeout at this year, was it Summer Games Fest? That was wild.

Yeah, I think this is finally ready to be shown and nearing release, and for sure planned to be announced at Gamescom next week.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I remember clipping out in a glitch in the first game within 5 minutes and just flying around the map and ruining it for myself.

Dying Light 2 was too arcadey a d a step back in terms of melee combat from Dying Light 1 and Dead Island. I hope this new Dead Island is more gritty and grounded in its combat. Doubt it will be though!

Kuranghi

I remember clipping out in a glitch in the first game within 5 minutes and just flying around the map and ruining it for myself.

That probably wasn't even a glitch, the initial build released still had tons of developer keys enabled, you could do 3rd person and activate noclip via keyboard commands, I gave myself cheats by accident and for ages I was like "wow you get loads of ammo in this game I never run out!" lol. I think they put out a patch that disabled them.

So this looks like it's finally coming out? I liked Dead Island 1 and just thought Riptide was alright.

Techland living up to its' name. I don't remember the first DL being that bad but it seems like with DL2 that new bugs keep popping up.
It wasn't. In fact, DL1 was honestly a great game and had very little bugs if any that I know of. The original build of DL2 looked sick but the finished product looks like shit in my opinion. It's way too green and saturated. The first game had a much more realistic and toned down color palette similar to Far Cry 2. DL1 also had guns which were really fun to use in later levels while DL2 only has melee weapons with a few makeshift single shot guns.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Hope it’s good, weird that it’s in LA and still called dead island. Enjoyed the first two games but Dying light is so good it’s going to have to something special.
Well in the old days California was an island according to them, so I guess that counts
1200px-California_island_Vinckeboons5.jpg

My theory…a catastrophic event causes California to finally break apart from the rest of the United States, hence making it an actual island, and stays in alignment with the title 🤷‍♂️.

Mattyp

Gold Member
That probably wasn't even a glitch, the initial build released still had tons of developer keys enabled, you could do 3rd person and activate noclip via keyboard commands, I gave myself cheats by accident and for ages I was like "wow you get loads of ammo in this game I never run out!" lol. I think they put out a patch that disabled them.

That we’ll and truely could of been it then 😂 because even as I flew around the map perfectly I was like weird I haven’t fallen through the map just free to explore completely.

Top Bottom