• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space’s creator thanks EA for its ‘care in remaking the game faithfully’

Draugoth

Gold Member
Fn9iDeDXoAEmf-U

Dead Space creator Glen Schofield has thanked EA‘s Motive Studio for its handling of the recently released remake.

Schofield, who is currently CEO of Striking Distance Studios, was the creator and executive producer of EA’s original 2008 version of Dead Space.

He then left EA to co-found Sledgehammer Games, meaning he had no involvement in the rest of the series. Last year, however, he directed The Callisto Protocol, which is considered a spiritual successor to Dead Space.

This led to something of a head-to-head in which The Callisto Protocol and the Dead Space remake were released within less than two months of each other, but Schofield has now praised Motive for the way in which it handled his old game.

Replying to a LinkedIn post about the Dead Space remake by his daughter Nicole (who was an environment artist on The Callisto Protocol), Schofield addressed everyone who had worked on both the original game and the remake:

To all of you who worked on the original, thank you for your contributions to an amazing game, It has withstood the test of time.

And to Motive, thank you for your care in remaking the game faithfully. Congratulations.

Kuranghi

I'm loving it so far, my only complaints are not integrating the dpad controls to change your destination into the R3 locator laser thingie, they could even have added switching between the multiple objectives (I don't think DS2 ever had multiple objectives so didn't have that, just objective, shop, save, bench, etc).

My second tiny issue is theres not a good way to have map and inventory set on the controller, wouldn't be an issue on PC but as it stands now I've set map to the touch pad and I just tab over to inventory and database when needed.

Am I missing something and you can get to map another way or you can assign swipes or something? I thought you can map multiple buttons to one action due to the empty space on the right of the config page but when I pressed right on the dead it (seemingly) softlocked the game lol

Dead Space is in good hands. 2 can get a remake and then a complete retelling of the events of 3. I never had a problem with 3's story. It's the gameplay that needs fixing.

I decided not to play DS3 at the time because I disliked the way the shooting and crafting had changed but the open area bit in space bit near the start was amazing, so I do hope they remake it more faithfully to the gameplay of 1 and/or 2.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Good on him, that's a stand up response for sure. Rather than saying nothing or even something slightly petty. Motive did an exceptional job, I'm just so glad the IP is back. I hope it's here to stay.

Give me a 2 remake, a 3 remake (with massive QoL changes), and a new game! :)

Dead Space is in good hands. 2 can get a remake and then a complete retelling of the events of 3. I never had a problem with 3's story. It's the gameplay that needs fixing.
Totally agree. 3 wasn't a GOD awful game, but the gameplay was completely removed from the series. All because the IP felt "too scary" and they thought the changes they made could make it more appealing to other people. :pie_eyeroll:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Good on him, that's a stand up response for sure. Rather than saying nothing or even something slightly petty. Motive did an exceptional job, I'm just so glad the IP is back. I hope it's here to stay.

Give me a 2 remake, a 3 remake (with massive QoL changes), and a new game! :)

Totally agree. 3 wasn't a GOD awful game, but the gameplay was completely removed from the series. All because the IP felt "too scary" and they thought the changes they made could make it more appealing to other people. :pie_eyeroll:
i actually love 3 alot because you can customize your weapons to your likings.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Buying it after the xbox patch comes out and it's in sale or if they fix the stutters on pc. I've heard that version is jacked?

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes thank you, EA for trying to milk this franchise as a co-op shooter, fired me and the whole studio when it inevitably failed, then decided to remake it faithfully when finally Capcom proved it could be profitable. You are so kind and benevolent.

Lol, Nintendo has been printing money from remakes way way before Capcom. Activision remastered COD MW back in 2016. And Bluepoint has been making bank on remasters/remakes for years.

And if you bothered to read the OP, he’s specifically thanking Motive studio for their work on the remake. Not EA upper management or whatever.

WoJ

I played the original trilogy between 2020 and 2022. I'm working my way through the remake now and enjoying it.

Dead Space 3 was interesting for me. Locking parts of the story behind co-op sucked and I hated the crafting system, but overall it felt like more Dead Space....with some weird to bad gameplay choices. A remake of 3 that removes mandatory co-op and brings the weapon crafting/upgrade system more in line with 1 and 2 could be great.

MiguelItUp

i actually love 3 alot because you can customize your weapons to your likings.
Don't get me wrong, there were some things they did right, it's not like 3 was awful. But just the overall Dead Space-like gameplay vibe was.... gone IMO. I remember it lacking tension and suspense that the first two carried so well. I played the whole thing by myself, I heard it was even more of a breeze playing with a homie, which I always figured.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Don't get me wrong, there were some things they did right, it's not like 3 was awful. But just the overall Dead Space-like gameplay vibe was.... gone IMO. I remember it lacking tension and suspense that the first two carried so well. I played the whole thing by myself, I heard it was even more of a breeze playing with a homie, which I always figured.
yea it plays more like an action game.
If you customized your weapon well, you are basically invincible in the game.

I played the original trilogy between 2020 and 2022. I'm working my way through the remake now and enjoying it.

Dead Space 3 was interesting for me. Locking parts of the story behind co-op sucked and I hated the crafting system, but overall it felt like more Dead Space....with some weird to bad gameplay choices. A remake of 3 that removes mandatory co-op and brings the weapon crafting/upgrade system more in line with 1 and 2 could be great.
When you say it locked story behind co-op, do you mean how Carter (think that's his name) got different content during hallucination scenes? I don't remember missing any story playing solo, but then again, I find game stories hard to follow sometimes

Lol, Nintendo has been printing money from remakes way way before Capcom. Activision remastered COD MW back in 2016. And Bluepoint has been making bank on remasters/remakes for years.

And if you bothered to read the OP, he’s specifically thanking Motive studio for their work on the remake. Not EA upper management or whatever.
Ngl, I'd be salty too if I thought I was going to get to make a sequel to DS2 and EA made me make the DS3 we got, along with its fallout. They wanted to mitigate risk and grow its audience and it alienated the core fans and fell short of targets. Bungled management

WoJ

When you say it locked story behind co-op, do you mean how Carter (think that's his name) got different content during hallucination scenes? I don't remember missing any story playing solo, but then again, I find game stories hard to follow sometimes
Yeah that and a couple of side missions. I don't know how much was lost by not playing co-op, but I know I didn't see the Carver stuff. And late in the game there were some interactions between Carver and Isaac that I think make more sense if you've played co-op. It's not that big of a deal but I felt it made the solo experience a little bit "off" based on some of the character interactions late game.

Last edited:

Dynomite

Its so surprising to me how the creator of Dead Space can come out with Callisto Protocol. CP misses so many elements of what makes Dead Space good, as if it was made by a fan who just didnt get it.

Top Bottom