• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake Performance Review PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Steam Deck vs PC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dead Space remake has landed on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC and even the Steam Deck! With the Dead Space remake embargo now up we can bring you all the gory details of just how EA Motive have reimagined this modern horror classic. Powered by the Frostbite engine and sporting dual modes with Ray tracing, 60fps, enhanced effects, improved lighting and even more, we wanted to see how the all platforms handle the game . So how does the Steam Deck or Xbox Series S handle this current generation title, what is happening with the VRS implementation and how well does it scale on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X? Buckle up for the Coup de grace on those specs.

Chapters
0:00 Introduction
0:20 The old vs The new, recreating a Horror classic
4:30 Platform comparisons PS5, Xbox Series X|S
6:00 Image quality & Variable rate shading
8:55 Console Performance comparisons
12:21 PC Analysis including Steam Deck
13:34 Game stutter and Shader compilation explained
17:17 Summary

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

decisions

Having a great experience on PC but required some tinkering. Maxed (ultra) settings at 2K 72fps.

Specs: 3080ti 12GVRAM/Intel11th gen/32GB RAM

Nvidia Control Panel Program Settings:
- Maximum frame rate: 72fps.
- Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
- Driver: 528.24

In-game settings:
- Dynamic resolution scale: Off
- Anti-aliasing: TAA
- TAA Quality: High

Using TAA seems to reduce the VRS issue somewhat, much better than DLSS where any dark area looks like a cartoonish mess.

With this I get what I would honestly call "minimal" stuttering that only briefly occurs when entering certain rooms. Before these changes it was happening every 5 seconds and was nearly unplayable.
However the game's performance is strange. I get about 100% GPU usage and 5% CPU usage :/

LdAUGRP.jpg

Last edited:

TonyK

Late, I couldn't wait and I purchased it on series X instead of PS5. I saw a video (by Elanalistadebits), and both versions seemed the same, so at the end I chose the Quick Resume on Xbox over the Dual sense features in PS5. No regrets, game looks good and plays amazingly.

PC performance has been good for me, do get some minor stutters now and then. 1080p with high settings with ray-tracing on & DLSS set in quality,. Capped at 90fps (Playing on 144Hz monitor). Maximum performance, Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample on & trilinear optimisation on.

GPU: RTX 2070 Super (Driver 528.24)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT (OC to 5Ghz)
16GB RAM

For Steam Deck, hotfix shader applied. Auto set for graphics. FSR balanced. 30FPS cap. Runs very solid, some stutters when loading into a new area. Much better state compared to when game launched.

Last edited:

Banned
Wait, game was running at +40fps in quality mode before launch? Why the capped the FPS to 30?? I would be perfect at 40fps.

that's why I say fps caps should always be an option not a forced default on these new consoles. now that 120hz and VRR are the defacto default for any modern TV and supported by all new consoles.

same for the performance mode. why is there no unlocked VRR performance mode?
even if it ran at "only" 70fps on average, the fact that vsync is off would improve input lag by a lot.

just for comparison, the difference in GoW Ragnarök with the unlocked performance vrr mode at 120hz can be between ~15ms and ~35ms less latency depending on the scene.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
PC performance has been good for me, do get some minor stutters now and then. 1080p with high settings with ray-tracing on & DLSS set in quality,. Capped at 90fps (Playing on 144Hz monitor). Maximum performance, Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample on & trilinear optimisation on.

16GB RAM

For Steam Deck, hotfix shader applied. Auto set for graphics. FSR balanced. 30FPS cap. Runs very solid, some stutters when loading into a new area. Much better state compared to when game launched.

I have the same cpu with a 2080s and 32gb ram but my screen is 4k, ive been trying to look for benchmarks but havent found any, if you put your res up to 4k what performance more or less would you expect? 30fps or less?

AngelMuffin

that's why I say fps caps should always be an option not a forced default on these new consoles. now that 120hz and VRR are the defacto default for any modern TV and supported by all new consoles.

even if it ran at "only" 70fps on average, the fact that vsync is off would improve input lag by a lot.

just for comparison, the difference in GoW Ragnarök with the unlocked performance vrr mode at 120hz can be between ~15ms and ~35ms less latency depending on the scene.
IDK about 120hz and VRR being the default for modern TVs. I walked through Walmart the other day and out of the hundreds of TVs they had not one for that spec.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Ummm no. Not even close. They're a very rare feature that is becoming slightly more common. Defacto standard? C'mon not even close.

Banned
IDK about 120hz and VRR being the default for modern TVs. I walked through Walmart the other day and out of the hundreds of TVs they had not one for that spec.

Ummm no. Not even close. They're a very rare feature that is becoming slightly more common. Defacto standard? C'mon not even close.

you can get TVs that are cheaper than 700 bucks with these features, and basically every PC monitor has these as well.

IMO that's when something becomes the new default.
that doesn't mean every TV has it but it means it's clearly what every TV that's not an extreme budget model will have in the coming years.

it's already absolutely the default expected spec for basically everything that's more than 1k

GametimeUK

I would have loved to play this on my 3080, but those stutters are disgusting. I'm going to buy it on Series X since that's the platform that runs it best. The choice is as simple as that.

Hohenheim

Anyone else experiencing popping/cracking/stutter in the audio?
Very annoying. Small pops every now and then. Using Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro wireless headphones, playing on PC.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
you can get TVs that are cheaper than 700 bucks with these features, and basically every PC monitor has these as well.

IMO that's when something becomes the new default.
that doesn't mean every TV has it but it means it's clearly what every TV that's not an extreme budget model will have in the coming years.

it's already absolutely the default expected spec for basically everything that's more than 1k
You expect everyone to just buy a new TV?

I still have a 720p and 1080p TV and not planning on replacing it anytime soon.

Budget TVs also exists for a reason and they sell loads more than the expensive ones. So no, it's not a default now and will not be a default within this gen. Next gen maybe. Just like in the PS3/360 gen where people still used CRT, HDTV only became a default in the next gen.

Last edited:
Having a great experience on PC but required some tinkering. Maxed (ultra) settings at 2K 72fps.

Specs: 3080ti 12GVRAM/Intel11th gen/32GB RAM

Nvidia Control Panel Program Settings:
- Maximum frame rate: 72fps.
- Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
- Driver: 528.24

In-game settings:
- Dynamic resolution scale: Off
- Anti-aliasing: TAA
- TAA Quality: High

Using TAA seems to reduce the VRS issue somewhat, much better than DLSS where any dark area looks like a cartoonish mess.

With this I get what I would honestly call "minimal" stuttering that only briefly occurs when entering certain rooms. Before these changes it was happening every 5 seconds and was nearly unplayable.
However the game's performance is strange. I get about 100% GPU usage and 5% CPU usage :/

LdAUGRP.jpg
I had to roll that driver back to the December one. FPS issues in multiple games.

Gaiff

Gold Member
I would have loved to play this on my 3080, but those stutters are disgusting. I'm going to buy it on Series X since that's the platform that runs it best. The choice is as simple as that.
It'll be fine on your 3080. The stutters are worse on lower-end machines and the Steam Deck just suffer. I have a friend with a 3700X+3080 and the stutters are minor.
Like his steamdeck part.

So basically its unplayable on PC. Refund worthy.
If you didn't watch the video, sure.

Kenpachii

It'll be fine on your 3080. The stutters are worse on lower-end machines and the Steam Deck just suffer. I have a friend with a 3700X+3080 and the stutters are minor.

If you didn't watch the video, sure.

Watched it, shit has shader stutter so bad it halts performance.

Its unplayable.

Gaiff

Gold Member

Its unplayable.
On the Steam Deck. Has minor stutters on his 2070+3600 PC which he attributes to his rig. A better CPU and GPU will alleviate those issues. It plays fine with a mid to high-end system and the stutters aren't intrusive and some people don't have them at all.

Nothing unplayable about this. Don't be ridiculous.

Last edited:

16GB RAM

Did you notice a big difference when switching from 1080p to 1440p? Like in the colors ? When i put it to 1080 everything is dull , 1440p is very vibrant

Thebonehead

Banned

Its unplayable.

It's not shader stutter at all.

It's linked to asset streaming and whether that's linked to Denuvo, or a thread spike due to uncompressing the data will require investigation.

You can see where I posted it here a couple of days ago -> https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dead-space-remake-ot-dead-face-lift.1650831/page-3#post-267429323

Frame Spikes are related to streaming on the SSD and I could trigger that at will in certain areas

jW4Q7Hk.png

I made a quick video demonstrating it.

Edit. Just watched the video and see he came to pretty much the same conclusion.

NXGamer NXGamer - If you enable perfcounters.dll in RTSS you can monitor your drive reads and writes. I was particularly looking for writes which would have shown me that it maybe shader related but not much in the way of writes, and the shader cache is pretty static.

I was surprised to see the frame spike linked to reads as they wouldn't seem to warrant the stall, so maybe a bug as you say.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I had some stutters when I started playing (pc), but fixed it when locking the frame rate to 80.

The audio on the other hand.. I keep getting these annoying pops/clipping sounds when moving around. Very annoying. Tried to turn of 3d audio, downloaded firmware for my steelseries headphones etc. Nothing works.
Am I the only one with these issues? Can't seem to find anyone else mentioning it.

Thebonehead

Banned
I had some stutters when I started playing (pc), but fixed it when locking the frame rate to 80.

The audio on the other hand.. I keep getting these annoying pops/clipping sounds when moving around. Very annoying. Tried to turn of 3d audio, downloaded firmware for my steelseries headphones etc. Nothing works.
Am I the only one with these issues? Can't seem to find anyone else mentioning it.

I have Steeleseries Artix 7x and Dolby Atmos for headphones.

Seems fine to me, but I don't have the greatest audio range in my hearing

nemiroff

Gold Member

It might not be the same issue, but I've had very similar things happening in a couple of games. I fixed it by changing the sample rate in the sound settings (w11->settings->system->sound->more sound settings->playback->properties->advanced->default format) (mine is at 16bit 48K).

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I am going to be honest, this is the worst looking low res PS5 game that there has been in performance mode.

It looks like utter shit resolution wise for a 2023 release. Its an utter embarrassment.

I dont care that it plays well or its smooth, your talking about a 2023 release that looks sub 720p on PS5 performance mode an people paid £70 for this, fucking disgrace.

This game should have scored no higher than 6/10 for technical specification as good as the game is no one has low low resolution TVs, especially if they can afford a £70 release.

Kicker is on PC you can play it for £15.

Unacceptable tbh.

Mephisto40

I am going to be honest, this is the worst looking low res PS5 game that there has been in performance mode.

It looks like utter shit resolution wise for a 2023 release. Its an utter embarrassment.

I dont care that it plays well or its smooth, your talking about a 2023 release that looks sub 720p on PS5 performance mode an people paid £70 for this, fucking disgrace.

This game should have scored no higher than 6/10 for technical specification as good as the game is no one has low low resolution TVs, especially if they can afford a £70 release.

Kicker is on PC you can play it for £15.

Unacceptable tbh.
Or maybe people give more of a shit about playing the game, rather than counting how many pixels wide the image they are looking at is?

Or maybe people give more of a shit about playing the game, rather than counting how many pixels wide the image they are looking at is?
Bruh its a Remake and you're confused as to why people might get hung up on the graphics...I could maybe understand if this was a game in a genre where people don't typically care about fidelity but this isn't like that.

You sound rediculous in light of the thread you're in and the context of the last few days of discussion surrounding this game.

Mephisto40

Bruh its a Remake and you're confused as to why people might get hung up on the graphics...I could maybe understand if this was a game in a genre where people don't typically care about fidelity but this isn't like that.

You sound rediculous in light of the thread you're in and the context of the last few days of discussion surrounding this game.
Any graphical hiccups I've noticed haven't stopped me enjoying a great game

I personally think it's ridiculous people seem to care more about the amount of pixels they are seeing rather than actually playing the game they have bought

It's a video game, not a graphics demo

NX Gamer doesn't address whether the day 1 patch introduced the speculated bug that's messing with image quality on not ...

He does talk about fsr 2.1 having issues and vrs being "middling"

More info is needed . Would be great if Michael popped in here to clarify whether he thinks there's a bug or not

MaKTaiL

Just saw a comparison showing the PS5 version taking 8 seconds longer than Xbox Series to load the game. Something is definitely not right.

Thebonehead

Banned
NX Gamer doesn't address whether the day 1 patch introduced the speculated bug that's messing with image quality on not ...

He does talk about fsr 2.1 having issues and vrs being "middling"

More info is needed . Would be great if Michael popped in here to clarify whether he thinks there's a bug or not

Doesn't look like he visits anymore. Just checked and was last on 4 months ago

Top Bottom