• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space: Remake | Review Thread

What Scores do you think DEAD SPACE will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yoooo I exited the game for a sec and it loads fast as hell like Forspoken..is it using Direct Storage?

The continue game menu just flies off the screen and youre there

iorek21

Did they add anything new content-wise? Changes in the level design, new story content, more explorable areas or something like that? Or is it 1:1 with 2008?

amigastar

Did they add anything new content-wise? Changes in the level design, new story content, more explorable areas or something like that? Or is it 1:1 with 2008?
Also, there are no Loading Screens between sections as far as i know.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Several articles are saying 2k /1440 as the same thing. Others say 2k/QHD and others say just 1440.

Well they're dumb. XK means the horizontal resolution is about X thousand pixels. 4K is 3840 horizonal pixels. 1080p is 1920 horizonal pixels, i.e. about 2000. 1440p is 2560 horizontal pixels, so more like "2.5K" (but that's not used as a label).

2K isn't really used to refer to TV resolutions at all. More for monitors, but calling 1440p 2K is still just wrong.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Playing through steam with my dual sense and rumble works. I'm not sure about haptic feedback. How is it different from regular rumble?
Haptics are the more "detailed" or precise vibrations like you find on a phone.

They are much better, but regular rumble would be better than nothing.

TonyK

The Series controller is just louder in general. The d-pad is so fucking loud to the point of being annoying when browsing the store.
Totally agree. That's my biggest complaint for the whole console. It's so annoyingly loud compared with the Dual Sense or the Nintendo pro controller.

The Skull

About 4 hours in on the PS5 and it's a fantastic remake thus far. Never tried it before the patch so I can't comment on image quality improvements but it looks great.

TonyK

What is the patch for? I bought this on release and then work/kids/life got in the way so much I haven’t been able to touch it!
It's supposed that it would do the same it did for PS5, to remove the VRS (variable rate shader) to improve image quality. EA said XBOX version of the patch would be released at the end of this week. Previous patch was released for PS5 and PC.

CyberChulo

Has anyone encountered an issue where the lighting in a room is really dark even though there are overhead lights? I think this usually happens when going into a room too fast after opening a door. I was able to replicate this in quality or performance mode on PS5. Usually going back out and in or sometimes turning on your flashlight and back off will fix it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Really enjoying this. Fantastic remake… how it should be done. Not a lazy fucking cash grab like TLOU1. It improves upon the gameplay in almost every respect. You can tell a lot of time and trouble went into thinking about where improvements were needed, and where things should stay the same. Naughty Dog should hang their fucking heads in shame that they shat out their full priced coat of paint, when they could have put this kind of effort in.

When will you learn not to trust paid shills is beyond me, what I know however is this game, like almost any other FussShite game, will have problems on PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was very harsh about the game leading up to it's release but as I've played the demo on pc and some of it on ps5, I can fully say that the game is fantastic.
it looks great, controls great and sounds great. It is by all means better than the original.

And the thing I was most critical about being John Dead Space face and voice? 180 for me. I actually really like that we talk now.
And to my surprise - his face in the intro or few parts he is talking away his helmet are crazy. Seriously, Isaacs face is like the most realistic, best emoting face I've ever seen. Just moving his eyes around in the intro and emoting. I am extremely impressed.
like WTF, his face got no right to be moving this realistic. He looks like a real, tired engineer

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The video game is good, but to be honest there are few variations of enemies and it's missing an important scene from the original Dead space...

But it's very cinematic and a good game, I bought it on day one and I don't regret it.

King Dazzar

So I just picked this up on PS5 as its on sale. I was genuinely apprehensive due to the low resolutions reported for the performance mode. Fearing a really soft presentation. And wow, I really shouldn't have been. I mean this is a sub 1080p iirc native res upscale. And I'm watching this on a 85" 8k panel, which will show issues if they are there. And its excellent. If ever there was game to demonstrate how more and more insignificant pixel counts are becoming, then this is it. Looks superb. Gameplay is great so far and what a breath of fresh air to finally have decent responding controls for this. The original had such cumbersome aiming etc. Initial impressions are a big thumbs up from moi.👍

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I dont remember the aiming being at all cumbersome in the original. Or the rest of the trilogy.

It feels as tight as its always been.

King Dazzar

I dont remember the aiming being at all cumbersome in the original. Or the rest of the trilogy.

It feels as tight as its always been.
I cant remember which platform I played it on tbh. But I just remember not being able to aim well with the thumbsticks and movement felt a bit janky.

King Dazzar

So, not that it matters much. But just for clarity I checked, it was the PC version I played through, with a gamepad. And I remember fighting with the controls aiming sensitivity.

Anyway, all's good for me on the remake and PS5. Love the use of haptics and adaptive triggers too. Excellent lighting.

So I just picked this up on PS5 as its on sale. I was genuinely apprehensive due to the low resolutions reported for the performance mode. Fearing a really soft presentation. And wow, I really shouldn't have been. I mean this is a sub 1080p iirc native res upscale. And I'm watching this on a 85" 8k panel, which will show issues if they are there. And its excellent. If ever there was game to demonstrate how more and more insignificant pixel counts are becoming, then this is it. Looks superb. Gameplay is great so far and what a breath of fresh air to finally have decent responding controls for this. The original had such cumbersome aiming etc. Initial impressions are a big thumbs up from moi.👍

Actually its not a good game to prove pixels dont matter because 70% of the screen is shadowed/dark. Pixels matter, a lot, your eyes would bleed and you'd throw your console in the garbage if a colorful vibrant game like say Ratchet would run at 720p downscaled. Either that or you just never experienced true 4k/8k images/videos. The difference is day and night, well unless you're watching your TV from the building across your street.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Actually its not a good game to prove pixels dont matter because 70% of the screen is shadowed/dark. Pixels matter, a lot, your eyes would bleed and you'd throw your console in the garbage if a colorful vibrant game like say Ratchet would run at 720p downscaled. Either that or you just never experienced true 4k/8k images/videos. The difference is day and night, well unless you're watching your TV from the building across your street.
I dont disagree with any of that and I've historically always been for high pixel count first and foremost. Its just more that I expected the presentation to be far more negatively impacted than it actually is. And I guess I'm, just recognising the brilliant reconstruction and upscale techniques being used these days. 😊

Btw I am an AV enthusiast, so I have seen loads of 4k and some 8k content. I'm browsing now in native 8k. 😉

Top Bottom