• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space vs. Dead Space Remake: In-depth PC Comparison

Do you need my comparison even with visual compromises (at 4K Ultra + RT with DLSS Quality)?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just like I did with TLOU not that long ago, starting from today (I hope) in this thread I'll be comparing original game with 2023 Remake from start to finish. Dead Space is one of my favorite video game series of all time, so to say that I'm excited to dive deep into this comparison is to say nothing. Idk if Remake has Photo Mode (if not, it better be there or added via patch), but I've 440 screens of original game at 4K (100% original look, I haven't used mods, ReShade or anything like that) so it'll be a smaller comparison than TLOU this time, but that's a lot of screens to make and compare anyway and I already started picking the best ones I have from original.​

Last edited:

GymWolf

78yjih.jpg

Arun1910

You've literally just made a thread announcing content but giving us nothing. Do you work for Fntastic?

T

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
6uITotU.gif

I know, I know you guys, I'll get it right next time.

I guess while there's nothing to show (yet) and before I've played remake.... What do you guys think about the drastic shift in tone and color visually? I mean, Idk how to feel about it yet. Original game was almost devoid of color, outside of green health bar on Isaac's back and green lights coming from his helmet, only occasionally you can spot some colorful posters, various signs and AR stuff, blood splatters on walls, glass, huge transparent screens which static noise etc. but for the most part it's very gray and brown looking game when it comes to most of it's visual aesthetic and art. Remake on the other hand and from what I've seen of it, is much more colorful and... I kinda prefer original look for now, outside of very obvious giant leap in tech.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

I hoped it won't come to this, but if anyone wants a quick and serface level comparison of some scenes in the game via heavily compressed youtube videos. instead tons of raw lossless images of almost the whole game, that's a choice one can make:messenger_relieved:

Rt on off
The quality is shit, but for now it looks like there's no AO at all without RT, which could be a bug.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well fuck me at unstable 30 fps i guess...
I've made a few screens with DLSS Quality at 4K Ultra and it's a blurry mess. Plus the game at native 4K Ultra is a slide show cuz of 3070s limited VRAM. I think it's pointless to compare DLSS images while original game was at native 4K. DLSS screens can show the difference for sure, but it's either native vs. native or no comparison at all, so I chose the latter. I honestly thought that locked 4K 30 FPS will be achievable in this game, just like it was in A Plague Tale: Requiem (which is much and much more impressive game on a tech level), but it turns out that Asobo not only implemented DLSS much better and overall image is much more detailed, clean and stable, but they also optimized the game better and Motive did none of the two. Making screens at 5-10 FPS will be an absolute nightmare, especially considering that some of the screens I've made of original was during motion. So, fuck all that, I'll do what I wanted to do in this thread when I'll have capable hardware, cuz I'm sure Motive won't do shit to allow me to do it using current one.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
Mods, lock and delete this thread. I've no hardware capable of running Remake in native 4K anyway and it'll be a huge pain in the ass to make screens while performance is around 6-10FPS.

Maybe in the future after platform and GPU upgrade.
Only a 4090 can run it native above 60 fps on Ultra.

GHG

Gold Member
The biggest problem with the PC version is the inability to turn VRS off, you won't get crisp IQ no matter what you do.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The biggest problem with the PC version is the inability to turn VRS off, you won't get crisp IQ no matter what you do.
You can turn off resolution scaling towards target framerate in gfx options and the game looks pretty good even at 4K with DLSS Quality, just not as jaw-dropping as A Plague Tale Requiem. The biggest problem of PC port to me so far is shit self shadows even on Ultra, absolutely terrible and noisy af SSR quality (almost as bad as in RE2/3), no RT local shadows and it's a stutterfest at this point in time even on 4090. and 13900K.
I honestly can't see anything in the game gfx wise to require such overpriced hardware which is not even capable of running the game with stable framerate and framepacing. TCP has way better production and assets overall, not to mention character models which blowing out of the water the ones in this remake.

Last edited:
Mods, lock and delete this thread. I've no hardware capable of running Remake in native 4K anyway and it'll be a huge pain in the ass to make screens while performance is around 6-10FPS.

OP, I had your back against the haters saying you're nothing but a hypebeast and then you do this 🤣 🤣 🤣

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
OP, I had your back against the haters saying you're nothing but a hypebeast and then you do this 🤣 🤣 🤣
Tell you (and everyone else who support me here) this, I can create a poll and if majority of people will decide that they need this even with visual compromises (4K DLSS), then I'm doing this. To give you an idea of 4K DLSS IQ, vs 4K TAA here - https://imgsli.com/MTUwODcz If you guys think that's good enough for you (obviously not for me, but your opinion matters more), again, I'm doing this.

Last edited:
Tell you (and everyone else who support me here) this, I can create a poll and if majority of people will decide that they need this even with visual compromises (4K DLSS), then I'm doing this. To give you an idea of 4K DLSS IQ, vs 4K TAA here - https://imgsli.com/MTUwODcz If you guys think that's good enough for you (obviously not for me, but your opinion matters more), again, I'm doing this.
Couple thoughts:

1) I don't NEED any deep-dive visuals analysis, but I'd probably take a gander if I see your thread pop up.
2) Eventually, 8k will become standard. Would you hold off on doing this analysis because you can't do it in 8k? I wouldn't worry too much about the IQ compromise here, since we're more interested in comparing DS Remake to DS OG--not DS Remake to itself.
3) Also, if it were me and I was already undertaking such a large project, I don't think it'd be that big of an added pain to play in the mode that gives better performance, and then switch to highest IQ settings once I decide where I want to take a photo, snap it, then switch back.
4) That's interesting that TAA is better than DLSS in this game. That's not typically the case, I don't think.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Couple thoughts:

1) I don't NEED any deep-dive visuals analysis, but I'd probably take a gander if I see your thread pop up.
2) Eventually, 8k will become standard. Would you hold off on doing this analysis because you can't do it in 8k? I wouldn't worry too much about the IQ compromise here, since we're more interested in comparing DS Remake to DS OG--not DS Remake to itself.
3) Also, if it were me undertaking such a project, I don't think it'd be that big of a pain to play in the mode that gives better performance, and then switch to highest IQ settings once I decide where I want to take a photo, snap it, then switch back.
4) That's interesting that TAA is better than DLSS in this game. That's not typically the case, I don't think.
1) It'll take way too much time and I don't have it. It's more of a comparison screenshots with original game from start to finish, not just a few areas here and there just to give you an idea.
2) I meant to compare only at 4K since I've only 4K screens of original game (same goes to Dead Space 2).
3) That's what I'm planning on doing, but still, everytime I swith to native 4K it's a slideshow, so native 4K is out of question even for switching back and forth, plus some of my screens were made in motion and it's impossible to make them during a slideshow. So, 4K DLSS Quality is the only option on 3070.
4) Yup, usually overall image is way softer with TAA, I was surprised too.

The poll is up, you've 10 hours to vote gyus.

Last edited:
1) It'll take way too much time and I don't have it. It's more of a comparison screenshots with original game from start to finish, not just a few areas here and there just to give you an idea.
2) I meant to compare only at 4K since I've only 4K screens of original game (same goes to Dead Space 2).
3) That's what I'm planning on doing, but still, everytime I swith to native 4K it's a slideshow, so native 4K is out of question even for switching back and forth, plus some of my screens were made in motion and it's impossible to make them during a slideshow. So, 4K DLSS Quality is the only option on 3070.
4) Yup, usually overall image is way softer with TAA, I was surprised too.

The poll is up, you've 10 hours to vote gyus.
Coolio. No offense, but I voted "No" in the poll. I don't NEED your analysis, and I don't want to tell you how to spend your time. But if you did make one, I'd appreciate it. Hope that makes sense.

I would just resize your original Dead Space screens to match the remake at the best res you can do.

4k is not essential and most of us will be interested in how it compares generally at attainable resolutions and how different or improved it looks or not at a cursory glance.

Whether it's worth your time I don't know, seems like a mixed bag of improvements, impressive at times but not enough for me to want to replay the game again but a good updated for those that missed out before or were too young.

It’s all good, the comparisons can still happen with VN1X post. But holy shit this was great lol.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Coolio. No offense, but I voted "No" in the poll. I don't NEED your analysis, and I don't want to tell you how to spend your time. But if you did make one, I'd appreciate it. Hope that makes sense.
"Need" is not the right word I chose, but it's alright, it's your choice now guys, not mine. If there's no need for this here, I'll do it just for me and at native 4K when it can be done.
I would just resize your original Dead Space screens to match the remake at the best res you can do.

4k is not essential and most of us will be interested in how it compares generally at attainable resolutions and how different or improved it looks or not at a cursory glance.

Whether it's worth your time I don't know, seems like a mixed bag of improvements, impressive at times but not enough for me to want to replay the game again but a good updated for those that missed out before or were too young.
It's very tedious to resize even 200-250 screenshots. So no, I won't be doing it.

I've replayed original game (and Dead Space 2) countless times over 15 years and will be replaying remake from now on while I still can do it. But I know that I'm in minority.

Last edited:

I gotta say: they actually made more updates to gameplay content than I had expected. It's not a The Last of Us Part I remake that is essentially one-to-one.

Like OP, I've played and replayed DS1 and DS2 a bunch, but after this remake, I'd only go back to play DS1 OG in the rare case I wanted to see what it was like. DS Remake is easily the superior game.

"Need" is not the right word I chose, but it's alright, it's your choice now guys, not mine. If there's no need for this here, I'll do it just for me and at native 4K when it can be done.

It's very tedious to resize even 200-250 screenshots. So no, I won't be doing it.

I've replayed original game (and Dead Space 2) countless times over 15 years and will be replaying remake from now on while I still can do it. But I know that I'm in minority.

I've batched resized images in the past, probably a program or script available still and maybe you should narrow down the amount anyway.

Top Bottom