• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEADLINE: Days Gone feature film in development, Sam Heughan to star.

oh wow, I didn't know that was a choice made internally. I always that it was something pitched to Sony and they favored the new IP or something.

if the team wants to move on, I have nothing against that. Let them revisit Days Gone when they actually have an idea for 2.

Learn something new everyday. So it came down to what they wanted to work on next, and the studio ultimately voted for a new IP. Guess we will see Days Gone 2 after that new IP, fresh ideas and experience without back to back same IP fatigue.

And it’s possible they’re now working on both since all of Sony’s studios have seen influxes of staff/additional teams. The below image might even be a screenshot taken from the development of Days Gone 2 since it came from Epic themselves and clearly represents what it could look like under UE5.

wiktor-ohman-3-copy.jpg
This is an ERA post. I also saw the stream and this is what happened:

Screenshot-20220819-211822-01.jpg

The pitch was never made to Sony. It was all internal at Sony Bend. That's why the creators left the studio soon after. Not because Sony denied the sequel, but the studio itself.

If this movie is getting done seems to me Sony was happy with the game for sure

Last edited:

MikeM

So is Sony going to put these as a perk for PS Plus subs? I have no intention on subbing to multiple different services for these.

Or is this in theatres?

Last edited:

Smiggs

Hopefully the movie does well, and we can get a sequel in the not too distant future! I bought this game on Steam last year after seeing it pop up after logging in. I read a little bit about it, watched a few videos, and ended up buying it.

I fell in love with it almost immediately, and I will defend Deacon being one of the greatest characters in gaming, period. The bromance with boozer is also fantastic. Play it if you haven't!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The problem with "voting with your wallet", which usually means withholding money but in this case means supporting the game at full price, is that you have to count on all the other mouth-breathers to behave the same way you decide to.

But they won't. Either because they're mouth-breathers or because they assume everyone else is a mouth-breather. The end result is the same.

So it's in your personal best interest to save your money by waiting for a sale price in all cases.

The best way to look at it is (I think) is to ask is my money going to the people who made the game, or to the people who paid the people who made the game!

The worst oversimplifying aspect of "voting with your wallet" is thinking that its just a transaction between the creatives and the consumer. When talking about AAA stuff this is almost never the case because the crucial facilitator is the corporate backer paying the wages of these immense teams.

You have to factor that into your thinking if you want to have an effect.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why though? It's not really a known, beloved franchise like Uncharted and TLOU. Most people don't give a shit about Days Gone.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s evidence that days gone is a AAA game (the open world, protecting your allies, the motorcycle etc.) the movie will make a lot of money.

People act surprised because the sequel did not get greenlit, but DG premise does land itself rather well to cinema/TV. Provided Sony succeeds in having some competent screenwriters embark on the project -Sony big budget films have bad to mediocre scripts usually, so it is a big ask-, it could create interest in the "franchise" and, possibly, resurrect it as a videogame in the future. That is the optimist in me. More likely than not, Sony movies division will butcher the adaptation and burry DG for good...If only said division was as good as their TV one...😑

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Wouldn't this be better as a series than a movie?
But I guess Last of us already being a series makes that a tough proposition.

Find it hilarious personally that Sony didn't find Days Gone "successful" enough to greenlight a sequel, but are now greenlighting a blockbuster film for it.
It’s easy. They have a deal with Netflix to pour out content. They pour out content, now they have a 100m ad for Days Gone. Expand your brands.
They could have literally used Sam Witwer.
For? Let’s use the same actor so we can recreate 1:1 scenes, so the game fans can smirk. The acting in the game wasnt particularly interesting or noteworthy.

Fake

I'm from the silent minority that actually enjoyed the game. I find it would be easier to convert into a movie than a lot of games that are getting films, and Uncharted ended up being way better than I was expecting, so why not.

You're not alone. I enjoy the game as well. Not a 10/10, but between 7~8 for me with is not like the game is bad.

And I would prefer a sequel than a film to be honest. The ideia of the co-op/multiplayer that the director reveal gotta a lot of potential.

New IPs are double edge sword, but they could improve things that are mix bag with proper feedback, so I don't take this 'never work' bullshit from hater/reviewers. There are vast IPs that start pretty mix bag and their sequel get much much better even to some GOTY contender.

bitbydeath

It’s easy. They have a deal with Netflix to pour out content. They pour out content, now they have a 100m ad for Days Gone. Expand your brands.
They tend to just go with the highest bidder.
The Last of Us - HBO
Twisted Metal - Peacock
God of War - Amazon
Horizon - Netflix

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

For? Let’s use the same actor so we can recreate 1:1 scenes, so the game fans can smirk. The acting in the game wasnt particularly interesting or noteworthy.
I thought the acting was great and right up there with any good show.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I can't really fathom Sony's strategy logic these days at all.
The game is not reaching the expectation so no sequel but let's do a film it is guaranteed success.

I've never played it so maybe I'm completely wrong, but this seems like a weird IP to try and make a movie about. Maybe it ends up great but doesn't Sony have tons of other IP that could make a much more interesting movies? There's no way this IP has enough mainstream appeal so they movie will live or die with the quality of the movie, as opposed to other video game movies which are boosted by huge fans of that IP, which at that point why even tie it down to a video game IP like Days Gone, unless the world has a ton of depth to it or the gameplay was holding back a great story

hemo memo

Gold Member
It would be funny if the film became a mega hit and they greenlit a sequel because of the success of the film and then people think it is a game based on a movie.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The best way to look at it is (I think) is to ask is my money going to the people who made the game, or to the people who paid the people who made the game!

The worst oversimplifying aspect of "voting with your wallet" is thinking that its just a transaction between the creatives and the consumer. When talking about AAA stuff this is almost never the case because the crucial facilitator is the corporate backer paying the wages of these immense teams.

You have to factor that into your thinking if you want to have an effect.
I agree, idealistically. Don't get me wrong. I'm saying, practically, there will be little to no effect of your "vote"/purchase on the overall. Same with most elections and opportunities for voting.

Edit: Indies are a different case--smaller audience = large impact, proportionally, of your vote. Same idea as your vote for the local Sheriff meaning more than your vote for POTUS/whatever the rest of the world votes for.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
By Sony officially?

Do you have a link by the company Sony oooorrrr?
Sony did not publicly admit that, but by reading context and using logic one can give the safe guess. Especially the game director considered the game is looking good financially.

Keep mumbling "where is Sony official statement " doesn't add to your point , nor adding any usefulness to any discussion, you can do better.

Top Bottom