• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Henry Cavill rumored to make Superman announcement in Hall H at SDCC

ManaByte

Gold Member

Dwayne Johnson and the Warner Bros theatrical session will serve as Marvel’s opening act earlier in the day, with Black Adam and Shazam: Fury of the Gods getting their much-deserved closeups on the Hall H stage. There’s also buzz that Henry Cavill will put in a surprise appearance to talk up more Superman.

This backs up reports that Discovery wants to reboot the DCEU and make Superman the center of it like Iron Man in the MCU.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Zach at the helm of it all.

This isn't #RestoreTheSnyderVerse.

WB is never touching Ezra Miller or Ray Fisher again and it sounds like Snyder is permanently out as well.

They'll keep Cavill because he's the best Superman and both him and The Rock have the same manager, so The Rock likely smoothed things out between Cavill and WB. Momoa made them $1 billion, so he's in and Gadot is going nowhere.

But there will be a new Batman, Flash, and Cyborg (if they ever do Cyborg again).

ManaByte

Gold Member
I like Batfleck. He just needs a better script.

It's in The Flash in two parts. But you have to watch Ezra Miller to see him.

He's in the beginning before Barry travels in time to change the past.

Then at the end when the timeline in changed and Keaton is Batman there's a credits scene where Barry gets a message from Batfleck asking him to find him in the multiverse.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He sucked and looked like a midget Superman...
henrycavill-computer.gif

Jennings

Replace Cyborg with Blue Beetle.

Keep Cavill, but teach him how to be a good, humble, fumbling Clark Kent (kinda hard since Cavill is built like a roided out tank and all, but the Kent character is what it is).

Keep Gadot, because she's great in the role.

I haven't seen Aquaman, but fine whatever, keep him in.

Ditch Flash and Batman for now. There's been a ton of Batman/Joker stuff overthe last fifteen years. Just pause it for a while and bring in fresh blood. And Flash is way too magical with all the time travel/multiverse shit. We need to ease into that kinda over-the-top crap.

I'd like younger-than-Superman Supergirl to make a showing, would play well off Superman and give Wonder Woman a protoge/gal pal that could learn a hero's role from her and Supes both.

And we need a human element, some regular guy/gal caught up in the mix that isn't simply a damsel or a smarmy smart ass.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wonder Woman is okay, but I just can't really believe her in the action scenes. I have zero attachment to her in that role. Not a great actress either. Pretty, and has decent charisma but I just think a lot of people are worse actors than people realize.

If you can't even beat the low bar of being as good of an actor as Van Damme, then I have issues with you in a super hero leading role. Can you make me believe you're actually mad in a fight? She can't. Cavil can. Momoa can. The Rock can't. That's the super low bar of acting they need to clear. General charisma, believable anger, solid action scenes. Humor is a distant 4th but has a place for some characters. Hemsworth is the unicorn who can do all of the above with ease.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"We're going to reboot it but keep one of the old cast"

So if it's true they're ALREADY fucking it up? Jesus wept. Doesn't matter whether Cavill is good or bad, you need to scrap everything and start again.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If they’re going to announce they are shelving that piece of shit Flash movie, and that Batgirl crap, and are soft rebooting around Cavill, then I’m well up for it. No more fucking cross over shit. Make good solo movies.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Aquaman is a $1 billion franchise. You don't flush that fish fucker.

Peacemaker is also up for Emmys.

Aquaman 1 grossed $1b, sure, let's wait and see how 2 does before we call it a $1b franchise.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Green lantern for cyborg and MM for Flash. I love the Flash but he needs to be a late game „joker“ like way down the line.

Pagusas

Elden Member
She's such a 50/50, looks stunning, and fits the role, but she can't act at all. She's a d-level actress, a model that wants to act. I honestly think Paris Hilton might be a better actress.

And I'm not sure if she ever had a good movie? in and out of the DC universe? can't think of anything.

But she's going nowhere.
I thought she was decent in F&TF, but thats a low bar and she's surrounded by other B - D level actors/actresses, and the material is campy and calls for over acting anyway.

Blade2.0

She's such a 50/50, looks stunning, and fits the role, but she can't act at all. She's a d-level actress, a model that wants to act. I honestly think Paris Hilton might be a better actress.

And I'm not sure if she ever had a good movie? in and out of the DC universe? can't think of anything.

But she's going nowhere.
She was ok in Death on the Nile. she made a great corpse.

Lady Jane

Banned

But she's going nowhere.

She was in a couple Fast & Furious movies. Her acting was dry there as well but it's Fast & Furious so it got shuffled in with the rest of the bad acting. But yeah, once she loses her looks, she'll be brining nothing to the table.

Last edited:
Pattinson is the first Batman to have a no killing rule, which makes him the best by default.
But Batman has killed before in the comic books on several occasions (hell, he even did so in the very first appearance) and where do you think these directors get the inspiration for their comic book movies?

The idea was to grow the Batman character in the movies to the point where killing is not an option. The same for Superman. Him snapping Zod's neck is what leads him to questions his own motives and want to preserve life. It's what leads him to be the Superman we all know and love.

I really don't understand why either of these guys initially killing people was an issue.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
But Batman has killed before in the comic books on several occasions (hell, he even did so in the very first appearance) and where do you think these directors get the inspiration for their comic book movies?

The idea was to grow the Batman character in the movies to the point where killing is not an option. The same for Superman. Him snapping Zod's neck is what leads him to questions his own motives and want to preserve life. It's what leads him to be the Superman we all know and love.

I really don't understand why either of these guys initially killing people was an issue.
Point being is that DC heroes are ACTUAL HEROES, as in near-mythic paragons of specific virtues. They are not flawed people, they are icons. So when a DC hero has a no kill policy (and I can't think of any classic ones that don't have that moral code) it's an inherent part of their core values, not something they "gotta figure out".

This obviously puts DC in a bad spot against the more human/flawed Marvel characters that can be a lot more inconsistent and topical.

Just go watch the 90's Batman/Superman/Justice League shows for how DC can be done RIGHT. Hell, a lot of their animated films are quite good. Maybe these characters are just too hard for live action in our cynical times. It needs a certain level of silliness (not marvel snark) like Doom Patrol or Peacemaker (or Batman '66) I think.

Point being is that DC heroes are ACTUAL HEROES, as in near-mythic paragons of specific virtues. They are not flawed people, they are icons. So when a DC hero has a no kill policy (and I can't think of any classic ones that don't have that moral code) it's an inherent part of their core values, not something they "gotta figure out".

This obviously puts DC in a bad spot against the more human/flawed Marvel characters that can be a lot more inconsistent and topical.

Just go watch the 90's Batman/Superman/Justice League shows for how DC can be done RIGHT. Hell, a lot of their animated films are quite good. Maybe these characters are just too hard for live action in our cynical times. It needs a certain level of silliness (not marvel snark) like Doom Patrol or Peacemaker (or Batman '66) I think.
Source material for these movies are the comic books and in the comic books they killed people on multiple occasions.
Sorry to break it to you but even Marvel characters have killed in the comic books.

And BTW a hero that has flaws is an infinitely more interesting character than one without.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Source material for these movies are the comic books and in the comic books they killed people on multiple occasions.

And BTW a hero that has flaws is an infinitely more interesting character than one without.

Reeves was pretty clear that The Batman was inspired by Ego (and somewhat of Long Halloween):

“You’re able to understand his motivations, but Batman [is broken], and why he’s doing all of these things for the reasons that he thinks is right and that have a heroic sort of grounding in them. There’s also many things that are driven by the parts of himself he doesn’t yet know, and so I would say that that kind of sort of psychological union, that sort of version is very much connected to the vision from Darwyn Cooke’s Ego.”
wga04lxhc7j51.jpg

Reeves was pretty clear that The Batman was inspired by Ego (and somewhat of Long Halloween):

wga04lxhc7j51.jpg

Yeah and that's ok. Different directors will reference different iterations of the character. Some will look to reference a character with a no killing policy. Others will go for the more unhinged, damaged hero.
There's no right or wrong answer here. The thing is this is all coming from the source material.

Now if comic books featured superheroes that never did any wrong and they are portrayed as thugs in movies then that's a different issue altogether and one that warrants outrage if fans feel that their hero's have been misrepresented.

With Zack and DCEU I found this version of Batman more interesting than past iterations based on future plans they had for the character. There was a lot more behind Batfleck that never got a chance to come to the big screen. Was it a bit rushed in the end? Yes I believe so and they didn't have a Kevin Feige at the helm to flesh out the story a bit more.
The idea was there from the DCEU but the execution in the end was horrible.

Batiman

Banned
I think it’s pretty weird to reboot it so soon with using the same actors. I’m not sure I liked anything out of the DCEU. WW was ok and I enjoyed zack cut, but besides that ??

Shit just got so messy regarding the dceu

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sorry to break it to you but even Marvel characters have killed in the comic books.

IMHO this mosses the point of DC heroes. Virtually all of them have a code and are parts of thing larger than themselves. Green Lantern was chosen due to his virtues. Wonder Woman is a product of a millennia old warrior code, Superman, an alien with godlike powers, is tolerated, even embraced, by humanity because you KNOW, and can FEEL,that he will NOT KILL YOU and is good. Even Batman has a morality derived form a child's trauma of JUSTICE, not vengeance, and tp spare any one else from the loss he suffered.

Sure, you can play with the formula a bit, gritty it up at times, but for me, the core Canon of DC are the stories of a mythic nature about paragon of virtue, not normal humans who just happen to have super powers.

IMHO this mosses the point of DC heroes. Virtually all of them have a code and are parts of thing larger than themselves. Green Lantern was chosen due to his virtues. Wonder Woman is a product of a millennia old warrior code, Superman, an alien with godlike powers, is tolerated, even embraced, by humanity because you KNOW, and can FEEL,that he will NOT KILL YOU and is good. Even Batman has a morality derived form a child's trauma of JUSTICE, not vengeance, and tp spare any one else from the loss he suffered.

Sure, you can play with the formula a bit, gritty it up at times, but for me, the core Canon of DC are the stories of a mythic nature about paragon of virtue, not normal humans who just happen to have super powers.
Whatever the code, all I know is these DC and Marvel guys have killed people in the comic books so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that live action movie adaptions will reference that in some capacity.

bitbydeath

Wonder Woman needs a new writer, I like Gal as Wonder Woman but the movies are trash.

Shazam had a great first half but the family thing in the second half kinda ruined it for me, I hope they get the Suicide Squad treatment in the sequel.

Speaking of Suicide Squad, James Gunn needs more work in DC, he’s done the best work to stand out from MCU.

Aquaman felt like an MCU movie, which is both good and bad.

Batman I don’t care about, he’s been done to death and Superman could work if the writing is given a bit of time.

MastaKiiLA

That's cool, but without Snyder at the helm, I'm going to bet a lot of people are going to be let down by the visuals of the next Superman movie. Say what you will, but Snyder's films had the best flying Superman ever. There was weight to things. The way shots panned and zoomed really sold the sense of speed and strength Superman has.

In comparison, Shazam came out afterwards, and it lacked that same visual punch. It's not just the effects studio. The director and cinematographer get to specify how things get framed and lit, and Snyder has shown that MoS, BvS and JL's flying sequences that he has a keen eye. We see it in Sucker Punch, and to a lesser degree (ironically) in Legend of the Guardians.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that. I'm glad Cavill can stay on as Superman. I just think it would be a shame to regress on the visual side of things.

Top Bottom