• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear forumites... FREE EMAILS DO NOT WORK FOR THE FORUM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Stop emailing about why your emailed was banned! If you are using yahoo, hotmail, or any other free email provider, you WILL get the "Your e-mail address has been banned." message. It's NOT THAT YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG. IT'S RIGHT IN THE TERMS OF SERVICE.

B. Registration using a free email account (such as hotmail) is prohibited. Use the email provided by your ISP, College, or other such establishments. Gaming-Age will not disclose email addresses to spam providers.

*cleans out his email from this stupid spam for the nth time.*

You'd think people would learn, jeez. :mad

Okay, my nephew is trying to register with an email @go.com.jo and it's NOT Free email, it's ISP POP3 mail server, I think it was disabled because go.com might be a free mail or something, can this be fixed?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
HEY CK

YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE YOU'RE TRYING TO REACH

THE ONES WHO ARE BOTHERING YOU

THEY CAN'T READ YOUR MESSAGE

JUST SAYIN

PEACE OUT YO

bishoptl said:
HEY CK

JUST SAYIN

PEACE OUT YO

How come? I thought the new forums can be viewed if you're not registred... I think you have just been BISHOWNED.

gblues

Banned
How about changing the message to "Your e-mail address and/or e-mail provider is banned. You must use a non-free e-mail address to register (i.e. not hotmail/yahoo). We will not share your e-mail address with anyone."

Or something similar.

My first reaction was "WTF? I hardly post here, why'd they ban my e-mail address?" but I figured it was probably because I used my yahoo address and tried again with a different address.

Nathan

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
gblues said:
How about changing the message to "Your e-mail address and/or e-mail provider is banned. You must use a non-free e-mail address to register (i.e. not hotmail/yahoo). We will not share your e-mail address with anyone."

Or something similar.

Or the message can just say "READ THE GOD DAMNED TERMS OF SERVICE, BITCH" :p

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I don't understand why we can't use free email services. Right now, my account is set up using my school account which I hardly ever check. On the other hand, I check my yahoo account multiple times a day.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bishoptl said:
HEY CK

JUST SAYIN

PEACE OUT YO

As adelgary said, the forum is not locked to outsiders.

evil ways

Minotauro said:
I don't understand why we can't use free email services. Right now, my account is set up using my school account which I hardly ever check. On the other hand, I check my yahoo account multiple times a day.

Can't you set up all your school account emails to be redirected into your Yahoo account? That's what I do sometimes since my ISP email is a slow bitch to log on to, so I have my messages redirected to my hotmail/msn messenger account.

Minotauro

evil ways said:
Can't you set up all your school account emails to be redirected into your Yahoo account? That's what I do sometimes since my ISP email is a slow bitch to log on to, so I have my messages redirected to my hotmail/msn messenger account.

I'm not really sure. It might be worth trying if I hadn't already graduated...I'm not sure how long my school account is going to last.

even those non-popular discrete free popmail providers dont work... looks like someone compiled a HUGE filter list...

hey, aren't AOL address technically free (for 1099 hours!!!)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Faceless Master said:
even those non-popular discrete free popmail providers dont work... looks like someone compiled a HUGE filter list...

hey, aren't AOL address technically free (for 1099 hours!!!)

AOL addresses are also banned, although for different reasons :p

xsarien

daedsiluap
Minotauro said:
I don't understand why we can't use free email services.

So people who are banned for legitimate reasons can't shuttle themselves off to Hotmail or Yahoo, create another account, and circumvent the ban. (For however long that would last, anyway.)

Minotauro

xsarien said:
So people who are banned for legitimate reasons can't shuttle themselves off to Hotmail or Yahoo, create another account, and circumvent the ban. (For however long that would last, anyway.)

Can't they ban by IP? I remember on the old forum, I was once banned and I tried using different email addresses to no avail.

8bit

Knows the Score
What about gmail addresses? Just curious considering there's a big push to give out invites going on just now.

xsarien said:

Nope, that still goes on. As for IP bans, a lot of people use dynamic IPs. Turn off the router or modem and voila, new IP. It's also a big pain in the ass to keep track of all IPs.

As for Gmail, all I have to ask is, what does "FREE EMAILS DO NOT WORK ON THE FORUM" mean to you? "Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?" ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Joy! Finally got through on my second attempt. The first address I used WAS an ISP address, that isn't freely available to anyone. Not sure why it wasn't accepted, but my college email worked.

My first post. I really like the new reply screen. Functionally this seems a lot better, but still not sure about the design (colours etc.). But still. It's GAF! Good to be back!

(Oh, and I somehow only realised *yesterday* that the boards were back up - someone needs to redirect gaming-age.com/forum to here. I know forums.gaming-age.com probably takes a while, but gaming-age.com/forum should be very simple to redirect).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Why dont you just add some javascript into the register page to display an alert when people enter a bad email address?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
You guys should have done a bit of research or something...the first two e-mails I used got denied, even though I'm paying $20 a year for each of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom