• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear PlayStation owners, Sony does not announce a "PlayStation Launcher for PC" with.... - Does it effect you?

bender

What time is it?
Let's see how crazy Sony's new management is. Will they go xbox route or will they go nintendo route or somewhere in the middle?

I think the fallacy we see most often in this conversation is that it might not be a one size fits all approach. Maybe Sony offers day and date releases of smaller/more niche titles to give them the best chance to succeed and then staggers the releases of bigger, more popular IP. The other thing that is often not considered is that once opened, this faucet can be tightened or shut off if it starts harming Sony's other interests.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PC is an open platform. PS fanbase migrating to PC will cost Sony more than it will earn them.

Let's see how crazy Sony's new management is. Will they go xbox route or will they go nintendo route or somewhere in the middle? One thing is for sure though, nintendo is killing it while xbox is on life support.
I don't think you are understanding the math here lol

PC also has new users w/ no intention of buying a console, who might buy Sony's games if they came to PC. Sony is currently making $0 on those people (or was, before their PC releases.)

This idea that console gamers are just waiting for Sony to release on PC to "migrate" over is just odd to me. Most people who play on consoles do it because that's how they want to game. If someone also PC games, they probably aren't a primary console user anyways.. and Sony has little to "lose" from them forgoing a Playstation as long as that person is buying on PC, particularly if, as the OP says, they do it via their own launcher.

IntentionalPun

I think the fallacy we see most often in this conversation is that it might not be a one size fits all approach. Maybe Sony offers day and date releases of smaller/more niche titles to give them the best chance to succeed and then staggers the releases of bigger, more popular IP. The other thing that is often not considered is that once opened, this faucet can be tightened or shut off if it starts harming Sony's other interests.
Yeah exactly; Sony can just.. stop releasing on PC altogether if they want to.

People are just way too dramatic in these topics; it's rather bizarre.. as if they really have to worry about the financial stability of Playstation or something?

Sony is likely to start w/ GAAS games as day one PC + Playstation releases. There's little to no reason to not have a userbase start day one on PC for those games. Also not a bad way to get a launcher w/ content delivery built up.

TLOU multiplayer, IMO, will be the first PC/Playstation dual release for a non-remaster.

Last edited:
PC also has new users w/ no intention of buying a console, who might buy Sony's games if they came to PC. Sony is currently making $0 on those people (or was, before their PC releases.)
That's why Sony has staggered late release. It's to earn from PC gamers who wouldn't Playstation.

It's the best of both worlds. Committed to Playstation (that 30% cut) while still earning from PC. There you go.

Maybe. But I don't think Sony will do day and date with PC. It will errode the playstation brand and it might be too late to change perception by then.

I think Sony will continue with the staggered late release. They might shorten the time period but still prioritizing their own platform.

What I see Sony could do is simultaneous release on Spartacus and PC after 6 months to a year of release. And then after a couple of months, release a DLC. The game will earn from the fans of the game and then earn from PC folks and subber folks.

Exactly not to mention bifurcating the player base if each game without cross play. Even if it did most people don't want to do cross play because of the cheating/mods on PC.

Then there's the alienation of the Playstation platforms by having higher prices on them and being charged for ps5 upgrades.

Lastly it will translate into Sony selling less units, meaning less people will invest into the Playstation ecosystem. Less systems translates into Sony ehh maybe not even bothering trying to push a piece of new hardware with new ideas and decent power because they will in the end lose money from the high R&D costs and being unable to move enough units.

Less units also means less software sales so less of that 30% cut from 3P publishers on the platform. While I DO think Sony will eventually do Day-and-Date between PS and PC, it is still several years out and predicates itself on them finding a way to make the launcher itself a revenue generator, regardless if players buy content.

I'm just throwing this out there for right now, but IMO their plans for PC will eventually lead to a launcher that offers all of their 1P games Day 1, with bigger ones either staying exclusive to their launcher or exclusive for a period of time like 1-2 years before going to Steam and/or EGS. 3P publishers basically publish on the PC launcher with no extra licensing fees and no extra percentage to pay to Sony. Small timed 5%/10% discounts on select 1P games after a period of time.

Bringing over PS+ and PS Now benefits to the PC launcher would be paramount for them to add enough value to monetize the launcher itself, with both an ad-based model and subscription model, and you'd get all the same perks on PC as on PS5 and everything be cross-platform supported (online would be free on PC of course).

If Sony take that approach, then it won't matter nearly as much if they lose hardware sales to people going to PC, because they still essentially keep them locked in their ecosystem instead of passing them over to, say, Valve's, where publishers like Sony and Microsoft have to pay Valve their 30%.

Nautilus

Banned
When we discuss those things, its usually from a business perspective. And from that perspective, I dont think launching games on platforms you dont own, for these companies that do own a platform(like Nintendo and MS), is not a good move in the long term, I personally believe.

Because if everything is releasing on PC, there are less reasons for you to own a Switch, PS5 or Xbox. And if everyone buys games on PC, where Steam is king, you will have a harder time competing, at least from the perspective of selling 3rd party games on your store. So yeah, unless those games were at least 15 years old(so old that they wouldnt matter "much" for newer games), and even then you would be removing benefits from your own ecosystem, I dont think its a great move to become a third party developer like MS is doing.

But from a consumer perspective?Yeah, its great.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Them not announcing such a thing would not greatly affect me, no.

(Was the thread title changed, or was it broken from the start?)

sendit

Primary a PC gamer. However, the day this happens will be the day I will no longer own a PlayStation console.

ethomaz

Banned
Nothing but good news for the glorious master race!

pc-master-race-gaming.gif
I can’t wait to see the glorious master race hating Sony for release games in it own launcher instead Steam 😂

IntentionalPun

I can’t wait to see the glorious master race hating Sony for release games in it own launcher instead Steam 😂
The trick with not upsetting the sensitive foreskin of the PC user is to add something, not take it away. So if a launcher came w/ day one PC releases, I have a feeling you wouldn't hear too much griping lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PC is an open platform. PS fanbase migrating to PC will cost Sony more than it will earn them.

Let's see how crazy Sony's new management is. Will they go xbox route or will they go nintendo route or somewhere in the middle? One thing is for sure though, nintendo is killing it while xbox is on life support.
NIntendo yearly revenue: $17 billion. Killing it.
MS yearly revenue: $15 Billion. On death's door.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At the end of the day, wouldn't you agree that this move to PC is primiarly to generate more revenue?

And when do you generate more revenue? At launch. Thats why MS moved to Day one launches after doing the staggered releases for games like Gears and Halo.

If you are going multiplatform, it makes no sense to do staggered releases. We know why they bought Nixxes, to handle PC ports. Their words. This was done to ensure the PC ports are out asap. They no longer care about the backlash because according to them the backlash for Horizon going to PC wasn't big enough which is why they went ahead with Days Gone, GoW and Uncharted ports.

Day one releases are coming. It's just good business.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
At the end of the day, wouldn't you agree that this move to PC is primiarly to generate more revenue?

And when do you generate more revenue? At launch. Thats why MS moved to Day one launches after doing the staggered releases for games like Gears and Halo.

If you are going multiplatform, it makes no sense to do staggered releases. We know why they bought Nixxes, to handle PC ports. Their words. This was done to ensure the PC ports are out asap. They no longer care about the backlash because according to them the backlash for Horizon going to PC wasn't big enough which is why they went ahead with Days Gone, GoW and Uncharted ports.

Day one releases are coming. It's just good business.

You can have multiple launches. They've shown the can charge full price for years old games on PC. You also make more money selling on your own platform as you aren't paying a cut to a 3rd party storefront. Sony also has services revenue they can't realize outside of their own platform currently.

Assuming day one releases are coming is wishful thinking and at best is an overly simplistic view. That's not to say it's impossible but to go back to the faucet analogy, they'll tighten, loosen and shut off that valve according to what will make them most profitable. Sony isn't Microsoft. And while Microsoft's approach is great for gamers, they wouldn't have walked down this path if they had the same success Sony has had throughout the years.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Affect me personally? No. I used to be a PC gamer and got tired of wanting every new GPU that hit the market.

I also don't think it effects Sony PS console sales much. The average Madden and COD gamer isn't into building/buying a PC and tinkering like enthusiasts would be.

I'm pretty happy with the cost/performance of console gaming. When PS4 was announced it was underwhelming yet TLOU 2 came out toward the end.

Fahdis

Have any of you heard about Gog Galaxy 2.0 because yout problem has already been fixed for a while in terms of "Launchers".

ParaSeoul

Lol did a mod edit the title or was it always like that

Dear PlayStation owners, Sony does NOT announce a "PlayStation Launcher for PC" with.... - Does it effect you?​

Last edited:
There are many Pc players that will never ever buy a console and there are Pc players that do, but won't make Sony any money, because they only buy used stuff and no 3rd parties and no subscriptions.
On the other hand what do you think how many console only gamers would switch to Pc with the prices we are having?

Sony makes more money with pc releases and Sony will make even more money the sooner they release their games on pc, because that way Pc could also profit from Sony's absolutley insane high budget marketing for their big exclusives.

Will they lose some people to Pc? Sure, but not many and it will still make them tons of money.

Yoboman

Im for it if they do cross buy by default

Right now their strategy doesn't make much sense. The piecemeal PC releases at some undisclosed amount of time after PS5 release. It just annoys PS5 gamers who wanted exclusives and PC gamers who have to wait

Just rip the bandaid off and go day and date with PC but give the benefit of cross buy so everyone is happy

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It affects non-PlayStation owners…

There is no difference for PlayStation owners.

For example Steam PC players buying Sony games will probably be direct affected.
I wouldnt say it entirely doesn't affect PS owners. But like many of us have said across any thread this pops up, it'd be small.

The gains Sony would get doing PC games will outweigh the small number of PS only gamers bailing the PS ecosystem for good to PC. And nobody ever said a PS gamer playing PC cant be duo platform gamers. Right now, there's PS and PC gamers that play both already.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
I dont believe they would release PS5 games on PC too (day 1), they dont need to + they have global dominance on home consoles (switch isnt their competitor in a sense), so they will be better to have real exclusives.

If they release PS5 exclusives for PC after some time, like 1-3 years, then it is different thing, as assuming PS5 exclusives are made for PS5 only caring about PS5 specs, and then ported to PC later -> it probably doesnt hinder PS5 version at all. So, good for PC people, and good for PS5 owners.

Owning ps5+sxs = can basically play pc+xbox+ps5 games, so it is ideal combination and there is no need for ps5 ports

GymWolf

If gpus weren't so hard to find, i would probably sell my ps5 if the games were day one on pc.

Last edited:
If the PC ports are good I sell my PS5 and play PC exclusively.

But it's not going to happen. I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
I think there's no way the games would be as polished, well optimized and impressive if they weren't actually PS5 exclusives developed from the ground up, so they didn't have to pour any resources and money into PC optimization or have that in mind at all. Proof: every impressive PS exclusive for the past generations 🤷‍♂️ (as well as every cross-gen title and multiplat..)

So yeah, that sure would affect me. My interest in the Playstation would pretty much disappear probably.

There are many Pc players that will never ever buy a console and there are Pc players that do, but won't make Sony any money, because they only buy used stuff and no 3rd parties and no subscriptions.
Hence they do staggered late release. It covers the PC crowd and yet remains committed to the PS fanbase.

On the other hand what do you think how many console only gamers would switch to Pc with the prices we are having?
I don't know. But the brand as a whole would be affected. The premium of playing Sony games on the playstation console first would be lost. It's the over-all reputation. The brand. The messaging.

Sony makes more money with pc releases and Sony will make even more money the sooner they release their games on pc, because that way Pc could also profit from Sony's absolutley insane high budget marketing for their big exclusives.
We have already seen the PC returns in some of the Sony games. It's hardly a do or die situation. Sure money is still money. So staggered release makes sense.

Will they lose some people to Pc? Sure, but not many and it will still make them tons of money.
It's not only about some people. But also the playstation brand as a whole. It's public perception attracting new generation of gamers.

Hence they do staggered late release. It covers the PC crowd and yet remains committed to the PS fanbase.

I don't know. But the brand as a whole would be affected. The premium of playing Sony games on the playstation console first would be lost. It's the over-all reputation. The brand. The messaging.

We have already seen the PC returns in some of the Sony games. It's hardly a do or die situation. Sure money is still money. So staggered release makes sense.

It's not only about some people. But also the playstation brand as a whole. It's public perception attracting new generation of gamers.
You think the brand will be negatively affected? I don't think so. Many more players will play Sony games and the Playstation brand will grow, it's just not limited to a specific hardware anymore. And more people knowing Sony franchises will also help Sony Pictures Entertainment with movies like Uncharted or the TLOU series and vice versa.

I know many people don't want to see it, but sometime in the future we will have streaming only. Right know people associate PlayStation with a plastic box, but when streaming takes over it's a huge advantage if as many people as possible already know your brand besides that plastic box.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

You lose all credibility for everything you just said saying xbox "is on life support". Based on what? A successful console launch? The successful launch of two AAA games this November? The popularity of gamepass? The broadening of cloud support? The acquisition of Bethesda?

At least the first part of what you said made sense. I think Sony will see $$$ and the PC release window will shrink more and more over time and eventually be day and date. It will cost them long term but the short term gain is like a giant carrot teasing them.
Also there is some cost savings with day and date simultaneous development and advertising push at launch.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
As a pc owner I wouldn't care if all my pc games went over to PS. But I understand why people champion exclusivity; the idea of locked-in funding that goes to quality. As gaming enthusiasts we have to contend with bland awful shit like mobile gaming and I almost think we need to gatekeep just so we few can continue to enjoy games like we have since the 90s-2000s. And as I have always said, if I really wanted games that are on PS systems, I would never bother waiting for them to show up on pc. I would just get a Playstation.

The real enemy for our gaming future lies in deceptive monetization schemes, mobile gaming income, and the growing audience of gamers tolerating and getting used to increasingly mediocre standards.

You think the brand will be negatively affected? I don't think so. Many more players will play Sony games and the Playstation brand will grow, it's just not limited to a specific hardware anymore.
Hence the staggered release. I'm not against late PC release.

I know many people don't want to see it, but sometime in the future we will have streaming only.
I don't agree. It might be an option in the future. Streaming will have to attract new gamers from the casual crowd. I'd love to see streaming to take off. It has the potential to grow the market of our hobby.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't agree. It might be an option in the future. Streaming will have to attract new gamers from the casual crowd. I'd love to see streaming to take off. It has the potential to grow the market of our hobby.

Yep. If nothing else, the enthusiast crowd will keep gaming on local hardware alive. As long as there is money to be made that is all that matters. Streaming will expand the market, not replace it.

Hence the staggered release. I'm not against late PC release.

I'm pretty sure the releases will get closer to the console releases, because they can make much more money if the marketing kills two birds with one stone. Maybe not yet day 1, but i think we could already see 3-6 months this gen.

I would have never imagined that something like Steam and Netflix could conquer the market, now i'm more open to things like that and i believe that streaming only will happen at some point. Not this gen and most likely not next gen. But in let's say 15 years? I can totally see that, but only time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the releases will get closer to the console releases, because they can make much more money if the marketing kills two birds with one stone. Maybe not yet day 1, but i think we could already see 3-6 months this gen.
Sony also have the new PS+ higher tier to take into consideration. I could see 6-12 months after release. PC release as soon as the game is put on Spartacus.

I imagine the release should be done just before the DLC come out if there is one. The marketing for the DLC will also serve as marketing for the main game for the PC crowd and DLC marketing for the Spartacus subscribers.

Last edited:
Doesn’t bother me as I’ve soured on Valve as of late and only use Steam out of necessity. A PlayStation launcher is something I can live with.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I would sell my dust collecting PS5 and buy the PC versions of the exclusives I had to waste 500+ bucks buying the thing for.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony realeasing all of their games on day 1 on PC wouldn't affect anyone.

Many people play on consoles because that's exactly what they want, the so-called "comfy couch" experience with their huge 4K TVs, and nothing will ever convince them to get a PC, even if the games would cost half the price.

On the contrary, there's a PC crowd who doesn't want the consoles, some do buy a PS4/5 just for the exclusives, so the only money Sony is getting from them is those 70$ per copy, nothing more, so at the end of the day Sony would be getting those 70$ anyway except on day 1, whereas the PC guys wouldn't have to choose to either wait for the ports or play on day 1 on the console with inferior performance, and on top of that they would save 500$ for the console.

It would be a win-win for everyone really, console gamers wouldn't lose absolutely anything, wheteas PC gamers and Sony would only earn, and that's why I believe it'll happen some day, maybe even during PS5 lifespan already.

Drew1440

I'd like a PlayStation launcher on PC where I could sign into my PSN account and sync and earn my trophies on both systems. Maybe cross play if sony is feeling generous.

Top Bottom