• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Available August 23 with PC Game Pass

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Achievements supported.

• Kojima Productions and 505 Games are incredibly excited to announce that Death Stranding is launching August 23 with PC Game Pass.
  • The genre-defying open world action-adventure game stars Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, and Lindsay Wagner.
  • Windows 10/11 PC gamers can expect such features as ultrawide mode, photo mode, high frame rate, and cross-over content from some very well-known franchises.

Welcome, Porters! Today, we at Kojima Productions and 505 Games are incredibly excited to announce that Death Stranding is launching August 23 with PC Game Pass. Keep your eyes on @XboxGamePassPC Twitter for updates exactly when you can play, as well as the official 505 Games and Kojima Productions social media channels.

From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima comes an all-new, genre-defying open world action adventure starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, and Lindsay Wagner.

Windows 10/11 PC gamers can expect such features as ultrawide mode, photo mode, high frame rate, and cross-over content from some very well-known franchises. What’s more, the PC Game Pass Edition of Death Stranding will also include the following items, which are unlockable as you progress through the story:

• Chiral Gold / Omnireflector “Ludens Mask” Sunglasses (Color Variant)
• Gold and Silver Power Skeleton
• Gold and Silver All-Terrain Skeleton
• Gold and Silver Armor Plate

Last edited:
Who's the publisher of the Director's Cut? Could it be that 505 Games published the Director' Cut version and Sony themselves published the most recent version?

Just wondering...

nikolino840

vM5hrhe.jpg

Kilau

Gold Member
Bummer it’s not the DC, wonder if they will have that available for upgrade or even at all.

ManaByte

I thought the PC version was the director's cut? So they did a special port of the base game for Game Pass?

adamsapple

Bummer it’s not the DC, wonder if they will have that available for upgrade or even at all.
Probably in a couple of months, likely there's a contracted term prohibiting it from going on services if I was to take a guess.

Kilau

Gold Member
Probably in a couple of months, likely there's a contracted term prohibiting it from going on services if I was to take a guess.
Maybe, beyond just game pass though it should show up for sale on the windows store. Just another launcher™

adamsapple

Maybe, beyond just game pass though it should show up for sale on the windows store. Just another launcher™

Indeed, biggest win here is for people who are subbed to gamepass. Otherwise it'd be just buying the game like any other launcher.

I'll definitely try it out for the achievements.

Bridges

Lack of DC is so disappointing, makes my excitement for a second playthrough drop dramatically.

Might go ahead and do it anyway just for the achievement cause I'm a psychopath. Really great game, and to my understanding the DC doesn't add much of any real consequence anyway.

Topher

Gold Member
Someone tell me what the difference between base and DC version is.

" Well, the original Death Stranding port's 'default' graphics settings effectively delivered PS4 Pro quality to PC, with only limited upwards scalability. In the case of the Director's Cut, default now delivers the same improved visuals as PS5, which basically means that draw distance has been pushed out a touch while everything else remains much the same."

Also notes upgraded DLSS version and improved loading times....

"Death Stranding Director's Cut initially launched for PS5 last summer, introducing new story elements, a photo mode, expanded combat, new gadgets - including a laser gun and mounted machine guns - plus a variety of other tweaks to the original. Oh, and it threw in a fully featured racing mode too, because why not? The new PC version, incidentally, also features Xe Super Sampling and ultra-wide monitor support."

FrozenFlame

Or, most likely, 505 Games went with the lesser version and that will be it, because that's what they do. Control was part of a humble bundle, they gave the standard version when Steam only had the Ultimate edition. Iirc, in the same day (or few days later) they released the standard version and dlc on Steam. And I do believe they also done something similarly scummy with another game....

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
" Well, the original Death Stranding port's 'default' graphics settings effectively delivered PS4 Pro quality to PC, with only limited upwards scalability. In the case of the Director's Cut, default now delivers the same improved visuals as PS5, which basically means that draw distance has been pushed out a touch while everything else remains much the same."

Also notes upgraded DLSS version and improved loading times....
[/URL]

"Death Stranding Director's Cut initially launched for PS5 last summer, introducing new story elements, a photo mode, expanded combat, new gadgets - including a laser gun and mounted machine guns - plus a variety of other tweaks to the original. Oh, and it threw in a fully featured racing mode too, because why not? The new PC version, incidentally, also features Xe Super Sampling and ultra-wide monitor support."
[/URL]

If the description in the OP is correct, it seems the GP version rolls in quite a number of the upgrades that went into the Directors Cut like photo mode and ultrawide support.

adamsapple

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If two years ago you told me that two Sony published games would be on Gamepass, i wouldve called you crazy.

MiguelItUp

Interesting that they're only doing the base game, I wonder why? Maybe the Director's Cut is an exclusive to Sony, I'm assuming? In any case, this is really neat. I loved Death Stranding a lot, but man is it a divisive one. I'd recommend GP folks at least give it a whirl when it's available to see how they feel about it.

Topher

Gold Member
If the description in the OP is correct, it seems the GP version rolls in quite a number of the upgrades that went into the Directors Cut like photo mode and ultrawide support.

Actually, it looks like this is the Director's Cut without calling it the Director's Cut.

From the 505 link adamsapple adamsapple sent:

"This includes high frame rate, photo mode, hard mode and cross over content from familiar franchises such as Half-Life and Cyberpunk 2077."

From Death Stranding Director's Cut Steam page:

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT on PC includes HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT. Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series and CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077. Stay connected with players around the globe with the Social Strand System™.

Last edited:
Top Bottom