• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding: Director's Cut (6 Hours) + SackBoy: A Big Adventure (5 Hours) PS5 Trails Available Now

ilhBaVj.png

From an email I received earlier.
These types of trials have historical been locked to Plus subscribers but these seem to be open to everybody from what I can tell. As is usually the way, the trials essentially mean that you download the full game (SackBoy 31.42 GB + Death Stranding 69.26 GB) and the time starts from when you claim the trial and not from when you start playing it.
Obviously download speeds are going to affect the gameplay time but that's a pretty hefty lump of gameplay for both titles and it looks like you just unlock what you've downloaded by buying it if you then want to.
SackBoy is actually on sale now which I did post about a couple of days back.
I'm somebody who likes to take their time with games but I'm pretty sure that both the games could be finished if you claimed one at a time and wanted to rush them.

I should probably add that of course you don't have to download the full game to start playing them, as it was with the PS4 games last generation you can start playing games with the base install.
That brings SackBoy down from 31.42 GB to 11GB.

It;s been pretty standard for Sony's own games and some other companies do it with their games too. I would imagine that it's far more difficult to do with certain types of games though with open world games that where you have access to the entire world from the start then you obviously need to have the data available.
I LOVE THIS! It's super stupid though that the clock starts when you start "downloading" the game.
I don't for certain but I'd imagine that it's simply due to them knowing that it's probably a lot easier to manipulate if it's tied to something that you can do offline, this way you obviously can't "buy" the trials without being online and registering it straight away. Without that people could just stay offline and because they have the full game data they'd essentially have the game for free.
People are going to be dicks so unfortunately we all end up a touch worse off because of they know that. 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to add that with teh Trial it doesn't appear to unlock trophies but if ot worls the same as it did through the PS4 generation, which would make sense, it unlocks the trophies just as you'd expect if you end up buying the game.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I don't for certain but I'd imagine that it's simply due to them knowing that it's probably a lot easier to manipulate if it's tied to something that you can do offline, this way you obviously can't "buy" the trials without being online and registering it straight away. Without that people could just stay offline and because they have the full game data they'd essentially have the game for free.
People are going to be dicks so unfortunately we all end up a touch worse off because of they know that. 🤷‍♂️

If that's the case, then I wish they'd allow us to "play" the game for 8 hours. Instead of 5 or 6.

Top Bottom