• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Pre-order Trailer

GymWolf

Gold Member
Agreed. I absolutely adored the ‘walking’ parts. Only the combat felt a little lacklustre, almost an afterthought. If we can now play the full game with a more robust and enjoyable combat engine, this directors cut could be quite the thing. I am actually pretty excited about this release.
I was ironic dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's the sense of accomplishment I think.

As far as walking goes in other games, you just push W or an analogue stick forward. Death Stranding really makes walking/getting from A to B hard and more involved to the point that when you're done you can actually feel proud about getting past all the obstacles in your way.
Not really, with some advanced upgrades you can bruteforce almost everything, the game is a cakewalk, literally.

At a certain point of the game for me the fun part was just upgrading stuff to better bruteforce things because i just love upgrading shit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'll pick it up for $20 on Steam in a few years when I feel like playing it again (if ever). I loved the game, but it's one of those "the real story is the experiance" type of games, and I've already experienced it.

Got the platinum for the record.

Last edited:
i just started it on PC. i only got access to the generator which you use to charge bikes and stuff so i'm like only a few hours in. well, i did play it for a bit on PS4. i got as far as about the first 1/3 of Chapter 3 [Fragile]. i don't know what to do....keep playing or abandon the game for now and hope that this update comes to PC. i don't see myself getting a PS5 any time soon if at all.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm so curious to see how the new enemy types and weapons effect the gameplay balance. How meticulous are they being with new enemy/weapon placement? I'd like to think that mounted turrets will be a very spicy addition to enemy encounters. The bola gun felt overpowered, maybe they've found a way to fix that, unless "very hard" mode already dealt with that issue by limiting ammo supply or something.

Have we seen new human enemies yet? Or just the monster thing they showed off in the trailer? Anyone keeping track?

btw: I haven't even played the game since before the updated it so BT encounters wouldn't put you into an automatically triggered cut-scene every time. Man, did that slow the pace down! Excited to play it again just for that.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

This is me just being salty I don't get this stuff for the ps4 version.

Just classic Kojima eg. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

subsistence was a game changer for MGS3. first MGS game to have a fully controllable camera.

i put in almost 200 hours into death stranding and to be honest im done with the game. i got pretty burnt out towards the end.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I don't need the extra stuff I just want to give this sorry game another chance with the PS5 enchantments.

Square Enix did it the right way with FF7R.

The goodwill goes a long way..

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
What? it thought the PS4 had a 10 dollar upgrade path.
Maybe i'm wrong, i only watched the trailer and this thread.

Ps4 version can be upgraded to ps5 directors cut for 10 yes, but that doesn't mean ps4 owners get to play the content with their ps4 version and I have no ps5.

Kerotan

Ps4 version can be upgraded to ps5 directors cut for 10 yes, but that doesn't mean ps4 owners get to play the content with their ps4 version and I have no ps5.
Has it been confirmed you can only buy this upgrade on the day instead of pre ordering it?

"We will also be adding new online features including Friend Play and Leaderboards, more news on that coming soon!"

Have they elaborated on this? Will this be coop or just you and your friend can link your games so you help build structures together? Could be just referencing the racing mode where you play against your friend.

THEAP99

Banned
kojima really puts suckerpunch to shame with these prices. i wonder if the dev gets the final say or kojima holds more weight

SoraNoKuni

Seems like it has a lot of changes and additions, for 10$ to upgrade it's a no brainer if you enjoyed and you'd like to replay the game.
Certainly diving in, I really liked it.

dcx4610

I made it 10 hours and quit. It was pretty and ran well (on PC) but I just wasn't feeling the story and it felt more obnoxious than fun.

That said, I'm kinda tempted to try it again. If you skip the side missions and just play the story missions, is it worth a go?

Bkdk

One of the most boring game of all time, I’ll probably play it only if there is a mama nude mod and I can play as her, or if I am suffering from insomnia.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
is it worth a go?
Lots of people seem to think so.

Award Totals
  • Death Stranding - 115
    • Media Outlets: 75 | Readers' Choice: 40
  • Resident Evil 2 - 92
    • Media Outlets: 62 | Readers' Choice: 30
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 79
    • Media Outlets: 68 | Readers' Choice: 11
  • Control - 34
    • Media Outlets: 33 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Disco Elysium - 20
    • Media Outlets: 17 | Readers' Choice: 3

Did you ever get out of the first area? That's just the tutorial area. Once you get to the full open world, the game opens up and you get to start building highways and access to trucks, faster and more mobile exo suits, and other vehicles. The walking becomes far more fun because you can carry more, run faster, jump higher and walk around with a huge arsenal of weapons.

It suddenly becomes more fun. But that initial grind to the checkpoints before you build the bridges, ziplines and highways will always be tough.

I grew so bored with the game that I never made it past the first few hours.

$10 is a great price for the extra content, so I'll probably get it and give the game a 2nd chance. If it was even $15, I'd probably pass on the whole thing.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't wait to aimlessly walk for miles and miles to deliver underpants to people

Well, you know... Why even bother with the game in the first place if you don't like delivering dogshit to random nobodies? It's the core premise of the game.

K2D

Banned
If I felt I didn't get my money's worth the first time, how is Kojima's Double Dip Edition going to make me shell up an additional $10?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If I felt I didn't get my money's worth the first time, how is Kojima's Double Dip Edition going to make me shell up an additional $10?

sounds like it’s not. I feel it’s worth the additional money personally but I loved the game. It wasn’t for everyone that’s for sure.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
No discredit to the DS or Kojima, this smells like a Sony decision, to nickel and dime for an upgrade. Hate having to pay for same game multiple times.

K2D

Banned
We live in a world where people pay $25 for a pointless cosmetic skin. €10 for an upgrade and new content is not nickling and diming. Some of you need a reality check.
That's their prerogative - these are features one wouldn't expect to pay for

$10 for ps5 features
$20 for the director cut dlc to even have the option to purchase said ps5 features (that's ghost of Tsushima) not to mention how convoluted this is explained in the store (they never do)
$10 for ps5 features sans a performance patch (death stranding)
$10 for cloud saves (industry standard I guess, but should be free)

This is a far cry from:
wgWYGLJ.jpg

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

$10 for ps5 features
$20 for the director cut dlc to even have the option to purchase said ps5 features (that's ghost of Tsushima) not to mention how convoluted this is explained in the store (they never do)

This is a far cry from:
wgWYGLJ.jpg
I’m sorry but it’s well known game development runs in to the 100s of millions.

This has taken many hours of additional labour and resources to create. They need to recoup costs and well….make some money on top. $10 isn’t screwing anyone over, in fact, judging by some other recent upgrade charges, $10 is damn fair.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

$10 for ps5 features

This is a far cry from:
wgWYGLJ.jpg

Galaxy brain comparison.

That skit was about sharing games with friends. You know, you bought a game and your buddy wants to play it, you hand over the disc.

It had nothing to do with next gen upgrades/patches/DLC whatsoever.

Top Bottom