• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Review Thread

Bartski

Gold Member
Metacritic: 87
Opencritic: N/A, TBU

BGk1wMG.jpg
hHBsr0U.jpg

The Gamer - 100
Death Stranding remains a bizarre masterpiece on PS5, and the director’s cut only further cements that reputation with a number of worthwhile new ideas that enhance the act of delivering packages across a picturesque landscape of nothingness. The story of Sam Porter Bridges is overblown and wondrous, taking hold of you and refusing to let go as you’re dragged into an adventure that takes the medium to places it has never been before. It’s mindless self-indulgence of the highest order, and it’s rare to see a game deliver upon its overarching ambition in such a bold, uncompromising way in the modern era. For that very reason, it deserves to be celebrated.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 100
Every new line of code written enhances the original experience, bringing new ways for existing players to enjoy Death Stranding again. Whether you're here for exploring the factory and playing with the new toys like I am or want to challenge friends for top spot on the racing and firing range leaderboards, odds are there is a reason for you to come back. Reworked missions will aid new players into the world more smoothly than the original release, too. I definitely felt as though the difficulty spike wasn't nearly as harsh thanks to this. Keep in mind that while the Director's Cut expands and adds delicate touches here and there, this is still a game that requires patience and time for the best results.

Screen Rant - 100
Director's Cut is the definitive version of Kojima Productions' masterpiece. It delivers an incredibly pertinent story, with more content than ever before, to be experienced through ingenious integration of the PlayStation 5's DualSense.

Areajugones - 100
The 'Director's Cut' of Death Stranding is basically the same game we once enjoyed on PS4 but taking advantage of all of the technical prowess of the PS5, plus there are some interesting additions to top it off.

God is a Geek - 95
Death Stranding Director's Cut is a magnificent game, bringing in plenty of new stuff that genuinely improves the overall experience.

Hobby Consolas - 93
Two years after its original release, Death Stranding is still a masterpiece, with a moving story, unforgettable characters and impressive visuals. New gameplay mechanics, missions and minigames don't add much to a game that already felt like a director´s cut.

Siliconera - 90
While I took a lot away from it the first time, Death Stranding Director’s Cut affected me far more and left an even more positive impression. Regardless of whether someone likes it or not, it sticks with you. Even if the story doesn’t click, the underlying concepts stay with you. And at a time when we can’t easily travel or connect, having this game where you can and make a difference in strangers’ lives online is very welcome.

Twinfinite - 90
Death Stranding Director's Cut continues to impress with its fearless commitment to fetch quests on top of fetch quests, and again, it's not going to change your mind if you didn't already buy into what it was selling back in 2019. But if you did, the Director's Cut enhances and enriches that original experience, and you'll be happy you jumped back into this one.

We Got This Covered - 90
Death Stranding Director’s Cut is an oddly named excuse to get addicted to delivering all over again. The visuals are stunning, but the haptics and new gadgets take things to even greater heights. Its themes have never been more relevant, and its gameplay never more fun.

WellPlayed - 90
Death Stranding Director’s Cut is a visual and technical marvel that introduces a number of features that, while not essential, absolutely add to the overall experience.

CGMagazine - 90
Death Stranding the Director's Cut is the definitive way to experience the game and is worth checking out for those who may have missed it on other platforms.

Eurogamer Italy - 90
It is unlikely that those who hated Death Stranding in its standard version will be able to change their judgment about the Director's Cut; all other players, on the other hand, shouldn't miss the opportunity to live and play again the adventure of Sam Porter Bridges.

Wccftech - 86
Easily the best way to experience building bridges across America, Death Stranding Director's Cut is less of the final cut one might expect from Kojima himself and moreso a collection of novel enhancements to make this the best looking and best feeling way to experience this unique title.

PlayStation Universe - 85
Though the additions to this newly reinvigorated version of Death Stranding might be considered to be superfluous by die-hard Kojima fans, there's no denying that Death Stranding Director's Cut is the definitive version to play Kojima's most recent opus on console, thanks to an opulent visual makeover and a wealth of quality of life improvements. Though still remaining divisive at its core, Death Stranding Director's Cut is absolutely the best way to see the hype surrounding Kojima's most esoteric work.

Attack of the Fanboy - 80
More could have been done on the story front, but Death Stranding Director’s Cut is still a solid experience on the PS5.

Checkpoint Gaming - 80
I am a genuine fan of Hideo Kojima's work and Death Stranding as a whole, but the lack of substantial new content to justify the additional price of entry holds back Death Stranding Director's Cut from reaching the soaring heights it potentially could. There is maybe enough new content to keep a returning player engaged for a weekend or so, but there really isn't anything in this update that couldn't have been included in a PS5 patch. However, Death Stranding itself is a modern marvel of creativity and risk-taking that I consider a "must play" for anyone who has not yet experienced it, and the upgrades in the Director’s Cut make it the optimal way to tackle this unique journey.

IGN - 70
A long list of quality of life improvements certainly makes the PS5 Director’s Cut the most feature-rich and accessible version of Death Stranding. If you’re yet to experience its gorgeous vistas and general sci-fi weirdness and you’re not turned off at the thought of a 40-hour fetch quest, then this is the best way to enjoy its fiction with the least amount of friction. However, by giving us powerful new cargo-moving tools that allow us to forgo heavily burdened hikes in favour of walking the path of least resistance, it diminishes frustration at the cost of any sense of hard-earned gratification. This may be called a “Director’s Cut,” but I can’t help but feel that, for better or worse, the PS4 original perhaps more closely resembles the director’s vision.

Player 2 - 58
I went into Death Strand Directors Cut, ready to embrace the weird and enjoy the experience. The story, visuals and world are all quite good and up to a great standard. But before too long the monotonous nature of its core gameplay had me feeling I was doing a job that I had little interest in.

Comicbook.com - 50
There's no denying Death Stranding: Director's Cut's technical achievements. It's incredibly immersive, putting every new capability built into the PlayStation 5 to the test and coming out triumphant. If you were disappointed by Death Stranding's unwieldy gameplay the first time around, the Director's Cut isn't going to win you over. But if Kojima's storytelling took you in, this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Welcome to the Death Stranding Director's Cut Review Thread!

maxresdefault.jpg

Will update this as we go!

MC: 86 OC:

TheGamer (10/10)

Death Stranding remains a bizarre masterpiece on PS5, and the director’s cut only further cements that reputation with a number of worthwhile new ideas that enhance the act of delivering packages across a picturesque landscape of nothingness. The story of Sam Porter Bridges is overblown and wondrous, taking hold of you and refusing to let go as you’re dragged into an adventure that takes the medium to places it has never been before. It’s mindless self-indulgence of the highest order, and it’s rare to see a game deliver upon its overarching ambition in such a bold, uncompromising way in the modern era. For that very reason, it deserves to be celebrated.

PlayStationLifestyle (10/10)
Every new line of code written enhances the original experience, bringing new ways for existing players to enjoy Death Stranding again. Whether you're here for exploring the factory and playing with the new toys like I am or want to challenge friends for top spot on the racing and firing range leaderboards, odds are there is a reason for you to come back. Reworked missions will aid new players into the world more smoothly than the original release, too. I definitely felt as though the difficulty spike wasn't nearly as harsh thanks to this. Keep in mind that while the Director's Cut expands and adds delicate touches here and there, this is still a game that requires patience and time for the best results.

JeuxVideo.com (9.5/10)

Two years later, Death Stranding remains a masterpiece. Undoubtedly always so divisive, the last born of Kojima Productions offers a unique gaming experience, transfigured by the capacities of a PlayStation 5 allowing him to give everything he has in the belly, to the point of pouring into bulimia new unpublished content. Admittedly, not all are equal, but the experience offered by this Director's Cut is complete, can potentially suit more player profiles, can potentially appeal to those who had succumbed to this fantastic and exotic journey on PS4 and who will appreciate to (re) live new adventures with a Norman Reedus larger than life. Certainly a must have for anyone who owns a PS5 and wants to embark on a unique game that is landmark and still upsets us today.

EuroGamerItaly (9/10)

It is unlikely that those who hated Death Stranding in its standard version will be able to change their judgment about the Director's Cut; all other players, on the other hand, shouldn't miss the opportunity to live and play again the adventure of Sam Porter Bridges.

WeGotThisCovered (9/10)

Death Stranding Director’s Cut is an oddly named excuse to get addicted to delivering all over again. The visuals are stunning, but the haptics and new gadgets take things to even greater heights. Its themes have never been more relevant, and its gameplay never more fun.

Twinfinite (9/10)
Death Stranding Director's Cut continues to impress with its fearless commitment to fetch quests on top of fetch quests, and again, it's not going to change your mind if you didn't already buy into what it was selling back in 2019. But if you did, the Director's Cut enhances and enriches that original experience, and you'll be happy you jumped back into this one.

ScreenRant (10/10)
Director's Cut is the definitive version of Kojima Productions' masterpiece. It delivers an incredibly pertinent story, with more content than ever before, to be experienced through ingenious integration of the PlayStation 5's DualSense.

AreaJugones (10/10)
The 'Director's Cut' of Death Stranding is basically the same game we once enjoyed on PS4 but taking advantage of all of the technical prowess of the PS5, plus there are some interesting additions to top it off.

GodIsAGeek (9.5/10)

Death Stranding Director's Cut is a magnificent game, bringing in plenty of new stuff that genuinely improves the overall experience.

SiliconEra (9/10)

While I took a lot away from it the first time, Death Stranding Director’s Cut affected me far more and left an even more positive impression. Regardless of whether someone likes it or not, it sticks with you. Even if the story doesn’t click, the underlying concepts stay with you. And at a time when we can’t easily travel or connect, having this game where you can and make a difference in strangers’ lives online is very welcome.

COGConnected (9/10)
Hideo Kojima is the physical manifestation of the Director’s Cut. Often times his idea of a nice neat package is like having a 6 hour version of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I’m ever so grateful for his presence in our industry. He’s not scared to take chances and make something people don’t like, and more often than not, he makes things I like or can at least appreciate. Death Stranding is some combination of all those things. I appreciate it, enjoy playing it, and on this third playthrough became more convinced than ever that there’s something really special here for those willing to take the time to stare at their boots.

Push Square (9/10)
Death Stranding Director's Cut is a fantastic port of a fascinating game. It introduces lots of new features that enrich the experience, the graphics and performance get a big boost, and PS5's bells and whistles are all put through their paces. It all adds up to make this the best way to play Kojima Productions' insane adventure, whether you're new to the experience or want to pick up where you left off. It's not going to change anyone's mind one way or the other — it's still Death Stranding, like it or not — but Director's Cut certainly presents the game in the best light.​

WCCFTech (8.6/10)

Easily the best way to experience building bridges across America, Death Stranding Director's Cut is less of the final cut one might expect from Kojima himself and moreso a collection of novel enhancements to make this the best looking and best feeling way to experience this unique title.

PressStartAustralia (8.5/10)

Death Stranding: Director's Cut is easily the best way to play the game. The additions are numerous and bound to help players make their journey across America much more palatable. If you’re someone who gave up on Death Stranding because you found it to be too frustrating or long-winded, the Director’s Cut additions could be enough to lure you back. If you’re someone who’s played the game to death already, there’s probably not a whole lot of reason to come back given how little extra content there is.

PlayStationUniverse (8.5/10)

Though the additions to this newly reinvigorated version of Death Stranding might be considered to be superfluous by die-hard Kojima fans, there's no denying that Death Stranding Director's Cut is the definitive version to play Kojima's most recent opus on console, thanks to an opulent visual makeover and a wealth of quality of life improvements. Though still remaining divisive at its core, Death Stranding Director's Cut is absolutely the best way to see the hype surrounding Kojima's most esoteric work.

CheckpointGaming (8/10)

I am a genuine fan of Hideo Kojima's work and Death Stranding as a whole, but the lack of substantial new content to justify the additional price of entry holds back Death Stranding Director's Cut from reaching the soaring heights it potentially could. There is maybe enough new content to keep a returning player engaged for a weekend or so, but there really isn't anything in this update that couldn't have been included in a PS5 patch. However, Death Stranding itself is a modern marvel of creativity and risk-taking that I consider a "must play" for anyone who has not yet experienced it, and the upgrades in the Director’s Cut make it the optimal way to tackle this unique journey.

GamingTrend (8/10)

Death Standing: Director’s Cut is the definitive version of the game. It’s gorgeous and runs at 60 frames per second, while including everything from the PC version. The new missions are a bit too light on content, but they round out the experience nicely.

IGN (7/10)
A long list of quality of life improvements certainly makes the PS5 Director’s Cut the most feature-rich and accessible version of Death Stranding. If you’re yet to experience its gorgeous vistas and general sci-fi weirdness and you’re not turned off at the thought of a 40-hour fetch quest, then this is the best way to enjoy its fiction with the least amount of friction. However, by giving us powerful new cargo-moving tools that allow us to forgo heavily burdened hikes in favour of walking the path of least resistance, it diminishes frustration at the cost of any sense of hard-earned gratification. This may be called a “Director’s Cut,” but I can’t help but feel that, for better or worse, the PS4 original perhaps more closely resembles the director’s vision.​

Last edited:

retsof624

I might get the upgrade and give it another chance. I just did that with FF7 Remake and ended up loving it, so I guess we'll see

I bounced off this game after about 2 hours, so this is probably about perfect for me. Sounds like it's solid additions at a fair price. But maybe not enough to warrant a full replay for people that already played.

Guess I'm glad it didn't click with me the first time.

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm planning on getting this, but....anyone knows if your progress carries on to this upgrade on PS5? I don't want to revisit the story that I complete in my PS4
You can via the old method of downloading PS4 save from the PS4 game and then uploading it on the PS5 version.

I don't know if they have the same easier cloud method as GoT Directors Cut did yet or not.

Bartski

Gold Member
btw

A couple of things about the game getting ready for midnight I noticed - save export and import is painless but there is no point in working on restoring your infrastructure if that somehow works in tandem with other players (like your endgame zip line network most likely) - the game throws you to a different server, so all structures by other players will be replaced.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There is no way in hell I’d give the game a perfect score, but I’m not a reviewer nor taking bribes. 😱

SkylineRKR

I can see what IGN tries to say. Part of the fun is the frustration you have, but then you finally make it. Its a bit like beating that very hard boss in a souls game. With the new tools I guess you can trivialize everything. Which is great for a replay but for a first run the original game was pure. For better or worse. I liked it a lot.

I do want to check out this cut one day though. I don't have the original anymore and I only want digital. Probably pick it up someday.

kyussman

Sounds like they added lots of stuff to make getting through the enviroments easier,which kind of defeats the purpose behind the game in the first place....but I guess time constrained journalists can enjoy it more now and that's the most important thing,lol.

Elios83

Second game after Ghost of Tsushima that is now getting the scores it deserved in first place.
This only happens when games are good since it becomes harder to impress after a year or more when there's little surprise left.

I think that people aren't shocked or angry anymore that this game wasn't a MGS clone or an action game and are now judging it for what it is. A great title that tried to do something innovative

Last edited:

Roman Empire

Gold Member
Sounds like they added lots of stuff to make getting through the enviroments easier,which kind of defeats the purpose behind the game in the first place....but I guess time constrained journalists can enjoy it more now and that's the most important thing,lol.
I think what might get to the player is the fact that the game is quite big, 40+ hours main campaign big type of game. I remember getting annoyed about doing the same tracks over and over early on before getting all the roads done and gadgets unlocked. Luckily, I kept on going and the seamless online features help a lot traversing the world. I like how most used tracks by players get marked with footprint and turn somewhat into official routes in the world, with the landscape changing to incentivize players to keep on using the same path by getting rid of rocks and other debris along the way.

ACESHIGH

Banned
So these additions are not on the PC version of the game? That's basically why I held off buying the PC version once this one was announced. Wouldnt want to buy an additional PC version down the line.

Markio128

Seeing as I already own the original PS4 version, this upgrade is a no-brainer, but I don’t really think it needed reviewing again. If you hated it before, I can’t see the director‘s cut changing your opinion of the game. 🤷‍♂️

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Second game after Ghost of Tsushima that is now getting the scores it deserved in first place.
This only happens when games are good since it becomes harder to impress after a year or more when there's little surprise left.

I think that people aren't shocked or angry anymore that this game wasn't a MGS clone or an action game and are now judging it for what it is. A great title that tried to do something innovative

100% perfect post.

Synless

Well, its a bit early yet to make that call. It may end up exactly the same, worse, or better as the original had 111 reviews and this is at 38 so far.

Mr Hyde

Very excited for this. It looks unique and fresh. I may not like it but I love developers who try to give us something new instead of the true and tried you so often are subjected to. We need creators like Kojima, whether you like him or not.

ethomaz

Banned
What in the world is going on with all these 10/10 scores lately?

Absurd.
Original Death Stranding received several 10s.
Why are you surprise that an enhanced version get the same?

It is just look fine.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Amazing game, cant wait to do it all again. One of the most atmospheric and emotional games I've ever played, and I expected it to be shit 🤣🤣

iHaunter

Comicbook.com - 50
There's no denying Death Stranding: Director's Cut's technical achievements. It's incredibly immersive, putting every new capability built into the PlayStation 5 to the test and coming out triumphant. If you were disappointed by Death Stranding's unwieldy gameplay the first time around, the Director's Cut isn't going to win you over. But if Kojima's storytelling took you in, this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

This is like the Yelp review where the loved the restaurant and gave it 2 stars. What the fuck?

is this the highest rated console exclusive game on ps5 right meow?

4tdbfh.jpg

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Comicbook.com - 50

This is like the Yelp review where the loved the restaurant and gave it 2 stars. What the fuck?

4tdbfh.jpg
good pick did they added content besides graphics swoonery ? because DS is technically new content

fuck that 5.0 review.. what a dippy
heck even haters of TLOU2 understood the milestone in games & storytelling it accomplished

Last edited:

iHaunter

good pick did they added content besides graphics swoonery ? because DS is technically new content
Nope, kept it close to the original, they did some some armor though. Added 8 axis movement. Some QoL stuff as well.

Cool haptic feedback stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom