• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Review Thread

JoeBudden

Definitely not surprised that it's like that due to it being a Kojima game. Im definitely expecting some crazy plot twists in this one.

Make sure you read your emails. There is A LOT of story and lore in those emails. Like big things that should've deserved a cinematic (for example, the reason why Troy Baker wears that gold mask). There's a lot of really fascinating stuff there, especially with the new content.

It's kinda similar to how you were absolutely required to listen to all those codecs in MGSV to get the whole story even though it seemed completely optional to the player.

JoeBudden

Are there any trophies you can miss in a playthrough?

Nope, you can get all the trophies post game, but I would recommend playing the game on Hard to avoid having to grind S ranks later on.

There's a trophy requiring 20 'Legend of Legends' accolades in each of the 4 mission types, and the only way to get that is to get an S rank under Hard or Realism (whatever the newer more difficult mode is called) modes.

The only thing Hard mode does is make enemies stronger, all other variables remain constant. So if you avoid BTs with the weather talisman, it's the exact same game. And, even despite this mode, it's still a very easy game. So don't worry about getting S ranks in combat focused missions being difficult under this difficulty.

This + getting everyone to 5 stars will be the biggest challenge with getting the platty. Getting people like Mountain Knot City, The Doctor, The Collector, The Roboticist, and more to 5 stars will make the game a lot easier for you with the gadgets and gear they provide you at those relationship levels (ex. ziplines, thrusters, all-terrain skelletons, cargo carriers, etc).

Last edited:

nowhat

Biggest complaint I have is the horrible UI. Just a convoluted mess. Sometimes I have no idea what I need to do or how to even escape out of the menu.
You get used to it, after a while, but it sure is a mess. Having actions locked behind long presses is just bad design (interacting with terminals is long pressing square - except when interacting with construction projects/stuff people have built is long press on "options", because reasons).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You get used to it, after a while, but it sure is a mess. Having actions locked behind long presses is just bad design (interacting with terminals is long pressing square - except when interacting with construction projects/stuff people have built is long press on "options", because reasons).

UI's actually brilliantly designed for what it has to do, especially as its not KB&M reliant.

Late on you need to be combining cargo from numerous sources, transferring and consolidating while observing weight limits. It has a lot to do, especially when you consider the extended range of gadgets and traversal/combat mechanics.

Can pretty much guarantee that alternatives offered by design amateurs on web-forums would end up being infinitely worse than what's actually implemented.

nowhat

UI's actually brilliantly designed for what it has to do, especially as its not KB&M reliant.

Late on you need to be combining cargo from numerous sources, transferring and consolidating while observing weight limits. It has a lot to do, especially when you consider the extended range of gadgets and traversal/combat mechanics.

Can pretty much guarantee that alternatives offered by design amateurs on web-forums would end up being infinitely worse than what's actually implemented.
I may be very much a design amateur, but a single example. Why accepting your current loadout/mission list is the same button (X) as what you use to pick missions/gear, just a long press? Wouldn't say triangle for "all ok" make more sense than X, especially since (in my oh-so-subjective opinion) the UI doesn't do a really good job communicating what the current action is?

If we consider Hideo Kojima to be the Kanye West of games, then Death Stranding is probably his 'Yeezus'. Meaning, this game is a very controversial and unique title that you will either love or hate. I would wait for a sale just to be on the safe side.
ended up getting preowned copy ps4 for 18€ and then upgraded at PS store for 5 quid :)

Top Bottom