• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Director's Cut will be out on PC March 30

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT on PC includes HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT.
Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series and CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

Banned
will it launch with XeSS tho? I know they said it will get XeSS, but it would be amazing if it was there day 1 just to see what its all about and how close to DLSS it can get

Last edited:

Banned
Amazing game.
I have it on steam and have dc on ps5 too.
Still only finished it once on ps4 slim on release. I still want to replay the DC first on ps5. It will be better on pc next week but dualsense

it will most likely get DualSense support on PC too, if not it would be on the devs tbh. but maybe it can be modded in even? I know that there is a GTA5 mod that adds fan made Dualssense support

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it will most likely get DualSense support on PC too, if not it would be on the devs tbh. but maybe it can be modded in even? I know that there is a GTA5 mod that adds fan made Dualssense support
Not gonna play wired which is how dualsense works on pc

Banned

I mean, I am sitting DIRECTLY in front of my PC usually... so that is a non-issue for me tbh. even if I play on my TV I have a 10m USB cable leading to there where I usually have a Bluetooth dongle plugged in but I can also simply use it as a direct USB port for my PC :D

also, I can use my Dualsense wireless on PC... since when do you need a USB connection to use it?

Kuranghi

I think if you use DS4Windows you can get all the wired features through a generic bluetooth adapter, I haven't played a game with dualsense support that uses the triggers or haptics, just for prompts so I can't be sure but it certainly can allow a game to recognise it as a Dualsense wirelessly. I used to emulate my DS4.v2 as a wired DS4.v1 (through the official DS4 PC USB adapter) and it gave me proper gyro support in Flower. Seems like a similar situation, so as long as the game thinks its a Dualsense you should get the DS features imo.

DS4Windows allows some pretty cool emulation, I got the Xbox controller haptics on my Dualsense when I played FH5 on PC, for example I could feel the road on one side and the gravel on the other when I went half off the road.

Last edited:
Everyone should play this tbh. I never had a game grow on me so much. I remember feeling like an idiot on Chapter 2 or 3 running on a field controlling the mail man.
Once it clicked i was hooked. Spent over 70 hours on this lol.

I'll never get tired of stating this. The way Kojima left Konami on such bad terms you'd think he would like take a break...but no, the man created a studio from 0, assembled a team and created a new IP using an engine he had never worked before in like 4 years. This is still mindblowing to me.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
As if it matters,
This game was so stressing for me as a tried so hard to grasp "why?"
And I'm a guy who plays souls games for leisure.
It literally took me 3 separate installs and "tries" before it finally clicked with me. I think I literally started it and played it for 3 or 4 hours before I'd just quit and uninstall. On the fourth try, I just kind of gave in to what the game was giving me as opposed to what I "wanted" it to be. Once it did though....wow, I was hooked. It was strangely calming and relaxing and also exciting to have a delivery over some rough terrain that I'd have to plan for, or eventually set up zip line points through the mountain passes to help make deliveries quicker. It became super addicting. The story is bat-shit insane and if I'm honest I really only understood about half of it, but the gameplay really is great once you start getting some tools and understand the gameplay loop.

Great game. Just took me a while to come around to it, but I'm glad I did. I'll be picking up the DLC as I want a reason to go back through it.

Shmunter

... the fuck? Sony's selling basic PC support as new content?
It has new gameplay elements. Although I’m conflicted if they are actually detrimental to the experience by making things easier. Haven’t gone back yet to test the theory.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
I haven't played Death Stranding, but it seems like an interesting game.
So what's the gist of it? Is it an RPG? Is it a fast shooter game? What's the story about?
Once I get a PS5 I will most likely give it a go.

Shmunter

I haven't played Death Stranding, but it seems like an interesting game.
So what's the gist of it? Is it an RPG? Is it a fast shooter game? What's the story about?
Once I get a PS5 I will most likely give it a go.
Nothing anyone tells you will set the appropriate expectation in your mind. Indeed, it may give you a false impression by drawing parallels to things you know.

It’s essentially a game of conquering the environment, like real world trekking and climbing. It has amazing visuals, sound and sense of scale, set in a high concept sci fi world.

ZehDon

It has new gameplay elements. Although I’m conflicted if they are actually detrimental to the experience by making things easier. Haven’t gone back yet to test the theory.
So, the new features they're advertising as 'Director's Cut' features that I highlighted in my post are already in the base game, and Sony's advertising is mud?

Shmunter

So, the new features they're advertising as 'Director's Cut' features that I highlighted in my post are already in the base game, and Sony's advertising is mud?
Is that the only thing the pc is getting? There was a whole bunch of new content on ps5 when it released.

ZehDon

Is that the only thing the pc is getting? There was a whole bunch of new content on ps5 when it released.
Sorry, I'm not talking about the additional in-game missions. I'm talking about the basic PC support touted as new features for the Director's Cut: - "High FrameRate" and "Ultra-wide Monitor Support". Does the original PC release not have these?

Shmunter

Sorry, I'm not talking about the additional in-game missions. I'm talking about the basic PC support touted as new features for the Director's Cut: - "High FrameRate" and "Ultra-wide Monitor Support". Does the original PC release not have these?
Sorry, don’t know. Reads like the ps5 list cause those are new there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think if you use DS4Windows you can get all the wired features through a generic bluetooth adapter, I haven't played a game with dualsense support that uses the triggers or haptics, just for prompts so I can't be sure but it certainly can allow a game to recognise it as a Dualsense wirelessly. I used to emulate my DS4.v2 as a wired DS4.v1 (through the official DS4 PC USB adapter) and it gave me proper gyro support in Flower. Seems like a similar situation, so as long as the game thinks its a Dualsense you should get the DS features imo.

DS4Windows allows some pretty cool emulation, I got the Xbox controller haptics on my Dualsense when I played FH5 on PC, for example I could feel the road on one side and the gravel on the other when I went half off the road.
I can’t be assed around doing that crap with ps5 just there.
Not to mention that bt controllers on windows are a nightmare.
I didn’t even knew dualsense used bt

Last edited:

moniker

As far as I know, the original release supported high frame rates and ultra-wide. It was a good port.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The original PC release supported both high framerate AND a REAL ultrawide support as opposed to the PS5 release. The PC Directors Cut essentially only adds the new content and q.o.l. features that were added as the original PC release was already superior as far as framerate and resolution options are concerned compared to the PS4 release and the PS5 release.

Garibaldi

$9.99 upgrade.

dsdc_info_graphic_EN_US_600px.jpg
Nice. I'll probably pick up the upgrade. I finished it on PS4 and bought it in a sale on steam but never got round to it again. I love its reasonably chill set-up, just exploring the landscape (even better in ultrawide) and building bridges and roads for other players. Combat was a bit shit but I enjoy it enough to drop (hopefully) £7.99 on an upgrade

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried it and thought it was a very, very boring game. Will the things introduced in this version help me change my mind?

Last edited:

Banned
As far as I know, the original release supported high frame rates and ultra-wide. It was a good port.

it does, runs at a solid 144fps on my 3060ti at max settings using DLSS quality mode at 1440p.

and at 4K it easily reaches a solid 60fps at max settings too. even without DLSS (but it looks way worse without it, the TAA of this engine is just not good)

very good port.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Great game. It made me think there's still room for innovation in videogames besides subverting expectations or inclusivity checkboxes.

Fools idol

Banned
Can someone tell me what I'm in for with this game? I know little about it other than it's supposedly a walking / delivery simulator with a weird story.

It's dirt cheap and I have a weekend to burn.

Can someone tell me what I'm in for with this game? I know little about it other than it's supposedly a walking / delivery simulator with a weird story.

it’s an open world delivery sim with some TPS and stealth elements, it’s not really a walking sim in the “narrative adventure” sense like Gone Home, nor in the simulating walking sense like QWOP…that said shank’s pony is your primary mode of transport but being a courier is the main hook of the game

Fools idol

Banned
it’s an open world delivery sim with some TPS and stealth elements, it’s not really a walking sim in the “narrative adventure” sense like Gone Home, nor in the simulating walking sense like QWOP…that said shank’s pony is your primary mode of transport but being a courier is the main hook of the game

So the big question then - is the story good enough to carry the gameplay all that way or does it get monotonous?

pqueue

So the big question then - is the story good enough to carry the gameplay all that way or does it get monotonous?
No.

The story is complete and utter crap, and the way the characters fit into the shit story is so eye rollingly bad you will need to take Dramamine when considering it.

Banned

the main gameplay element is delivering packages as unharmed as possible.
you have to seach for save paths, use items to overcome hard to traverse terrain and build structures.
you unlock vehicles as well that make this often easier down the line

secondarily it's a stealth action game. there are rainstorms that will have invisible enemies in them which you can only detect by standing still.
these things can detect your breathing so our have to hold your breath and manage your oxygen while trying to get through the area.

and there's also robots gone rogue that can be taken down in a more classical action sorta way, you can infiltrate their bases and steal valuable stuff from them.

these are the basics

Last edited:

there is a mystery in the story that is slowly revealed through time, the motion capture and the acting is generally very good too but I wasn’t grabbed by it at all by the end, at which point the game spends a long time wrapping the story up

I’d say if you’re not enjoying the gameplay loop of traversing environments and managing your luggage and obstacles then the story isn’t going to make you enjoy it any more

TastyPastry

i just started playing this game yesterday on ps plus and i hope it will grow on me soon because i'm a huge kojima fan but at the moment it just feels like work and tedium. something about the engine or animations feels like it was the wrong choice for the game, climbing around small rocks looks and feels awkward, the UI is a mess, the story so far is typical kojima 2deep4u nonsense but much worse than usual. i still love how everything and everyone looks but man. also he needs to stop putting celebrities or people he knows into his games. it's distracting and immersion breaking.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Death Stranding may soon support Ray Tracing on PC​

According to Steam’s database, Kojima Productions is currently experimenting with some Ray Tracing effects.

Top Bottom