• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding film in development with Hammerstone Studios

DonJorginho

Banned

Hot on the heels of announcing Death Stranding 2 (w/t) at The Game Awards, gaming auteur Hideo Kojima’s Kojima Productions has partnered with Barbarian EP Alex Lebovici’s Hammerstone Studios to develop and produce a film adaptation of the former’s hit video game, Death Stranding.

The film being fully financed by Hammerstone will be produced by Kojima and Lebovici via their respective banners, with Kojima Productions US and Allan Ungar serving as exec producers.

Connecting with more than 10 million worldwide since its 2019 launch on PlayStation 4, Death Stranding features an all-star cast including Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, Guillermo del Toro and Margaret Qualley. The game challenges players to reconnect a fractured society after the cataclysmic ‘Death Stranding’ event, which has opened a doorway between the living and the dead, leading to creatures from the afterlife roaming the fallen world marred by a desolate society. Carrying the disconnected remnants of humanity’s future in his hands, players embody Reedus’ Sam Bridges as he embarks on a mission to deliver hope to humanity by connecting the last survivors of a decimated America.

The plot for the project, marking Kojima Productions’ first-ever feature adaptation, is being kept under wraps. But we hear that it will introduce new elements and characters within the Death Stranding universe. It’s not yet clear who will write and direct the pic, though we understand it’s now on the fast track, with development underway.

“I couldn’t be more excited about this new partnership with Hammerstone Studios,” said Kojima. “This is a pivotal moment for the franchise and I’m really looking forward to collaborating with them in bringing DEATH STRANDING to the big screen.”

“We are thrilled and honored to have the opportunity to partner with brilliant and iconic Hideo Kojima on his first film adaptation,” added Lebovici. “Unlike other big budget tentpole video game adaptations, this will be something far more intimate and grounded. Our goal is to redefine what a video game adaptation could be when you have creative and artistic freedom. This film will be an authentic “Hideo Kojima” production.”

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
RISE MY FELLOW PORTERS, RISE, FOR TODAY WE FUCKING FEASTTTTTTTTTTT

Hell Yeah Reaction GIF by PlayStation

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This can be great if it takes the foundation of the game and make it a movie and not make it a 1 to 1 adaptation.

Draugoth

Gold Member
FkCfRK2XkAAtIQu

Kojima Productions has partnered with Alex Lebovici’s Hammerstone Studios to develop and produce a film adaptation of Death Stranding, according to a Deadline report.

Hammerstone Studios will fully finance the film, and Hideo Kojima and Lebovici will serve as producers on the film under their respective banners. Kojima Productions’ Los Angeles office and Allan Ungar will serve as executive producers.

“I couldn’t be more excited about this new partnership with Hammerstone Studios,” Hideo Kojima said. “This is a pivotal moment for the franchise and I’m really looking forward to collaborating with them in bringing Death Stranding to the big screen.”

Previous films funded by Hammerstone Studios include Kung Fury, Barbarian, Zeros to Ones, Bill & Ted Face the Music, Come Away, and The Public.

Lebovici added, “We are thrilled and honored to have the opportunity to partner with brilliant and iconic Hideo Kojima on his first film adaptation Unlike other big budget tentpole video game adaptations, this will be something far more intimate and grounded. Our goal is to redefine what a video game adaptation could be when you have creative and artistic freedom. This film will be an authentic ‘Hideo Kojima’ production.”

MScarpa

Please PLEASE don't butcher and destroy this. So much potential, don't let it end up like Uncharted or Ratchet.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I hope Kojima is directing it himself, if so I’m hyped. He seems to want to make a movie so badly, let him do it.

Fuz

Banned
There is no reason why the game actors can’t be the film actors.
I'm gonna bet Evilore's left testicle that it's not gonna happen.

Hollywood never go the reasonable way. Never.
Guess they must prove they're smarter and deserve the job.

Markio128

I'm gonna bet Evilore's left testicle that it's not gonna happen.

Hollywood never go the reasonable way. Never.
Guess they must prove they're smarter and deserve the job.
I’d normally agree with you, but the actors in the game are strong enough to carry the film, imho.

plip.plop

How odd. I really thought this would have been made with Sony Pictures. Guess they're too busy with the pre-production of Morbius 2.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'd be happy if they did a spin-off in that world, but nooo it's an "adaptation". Likely with a totally different shit cast.
Our goal is to redefine what a video game adaptation could be when you have creative and artistic freedom.
I hate it already.

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
let-me-show-you.gif

I mean the game already has Hollywood actress as characters so most of the casting is already done.

Hugare

Kojima finally living his dream

Unfortunately, Roger Ebert has died.

I'm laughing at the thought of him going to the movies to watch Death Stranding

Hopefuly they will get someone decent to do a miracle with the script

Pilgrimzero

"Authentic Kojima?" Will it actually show him sniffing his own farts and expressing how great they smell?

Dude hasn't made anything amazing story-wise since MGS3. Which I believe was the last time he had people on staff that told him "No".

I mean fucking nanomachines. My god. And don't get me started on MGS5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom