• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding has sold five million copies on PS4 and PC

Evilms

Banned

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, head of publishing Jay Boor says the game has performed 'quite well', and the studio is optimistic about the release of the Director's Cut on PlayStation 5 in September.

"With Death Stranding being the first title developed out of Kojima Productions, from a sales perspective, it has performed quite well," he says. "As of March 2021, Death Stranding has sold through over five million units worldwide on PlayStation 4 and PC."

UnfinishedFamousCrocodileskink-size_restricted.gif

Jose92

[Membe
Congrats to Kojima and his team on the success of death stranding.

Dusk Golem The biggest fake insider in the industry proven wrong again.
Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I was just messing with the gif. :messenger_beaming:
I really didnt like the game though. I managed 5 hours before giving up. I know its supposed to get better in the second half but i couldnt manage it lol.
Me too. I think I put in 9 hours. Too much unfun bullshit. Also sales are tied more to hype, not whether the buyer actually enjoys the game. The percentage that actually completed the game might prove interesting for this title.

Maybe because halo is a very well known and popular franchise and Death Stranding is a new and quite particular ip ? also that 5 millions for Halo 5 is a failure compared to the sales of the old Halo ?
I think any game that sells over 5 million units is hardly a flop or failure. I think more of a issue for Halo 5 was it didn't move Hardware like MS were no doubt expecting

Kerotan

Good sales and if you add those since march and the rest of the year including the directors cut it should get a good bit higher.

So dusk golem was full of shit. He was part of the pro xbox and PlayStation smear campaign Microsoft funded for the gens launch. It was so obvious MS spent millions to try and change the narrative. Hopefully they realise it was a waste of money as PlayStation continues to dominate and has won the gen already.

Didn't dusk also say the ps5 version of resi evil 8 was struggling big time close to launch and then it launched in a pretty good state?

Jack Uzi

Banned
Good sales and if you add those since march and the rest of the year including the directors cut it should get a good bit higher.

So dusk golem was full of shit. He was part of the pro xbox and PlayStation smear campaign Microsoft funded for the gens launch. It was so obvious MS spent millions to try and change the narrative. Hopefully they realise it was a waste of money as PlayStation continues to dominate and has won the gen already.

Didn't dusk also say the ps5 version of resi evil 8 was struggling big time close to launch and then it launched in a pretty good state?

Yes all of that in his clown campaign. That along with KatharsisT also talking shit on Death Stranding’s development and telling us Silent Hill will be shown on this, this and that event and conveniently blaming Covid for it no show since say August.

They were a circus act.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Congrats to Kojima and his team on the success of death stranding.

Dusk Golem The biggest fake insider in the industry proven wrong again.

Dusk....damn.....lol. Maybe they need to stick to their usual sources and not to to step into different areas....
Not a flop but a clear decline

Not that comparing Halo to new IP makes any sense in the first place
Imagine trying to compare a brand new IP, thats divisive..... to Halo...

How many copies MGS4 had?

P.S. saw that the chart.

Oh, not that many copies considering that it is both on PC and PS4 and was a big Kojima's game with Hollywood actors. Not to mention the amount of consoles PS4 has in comparison even to PS3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom