• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding has sold five million copies on PS4 and PC

kyliethicc

Hideo Kojima once said in an interview:

"I'm very prone to loneliness. I think there are similar people around the world - especially gamers. When they're alone playing video games in their living room, they don't feel like they fit into society or their community. So when people play this game they realize people like them exist all over the world. Knowing that even though I'm lonely, there are other people like me - and that makes you feel at ease. That's what I want people to feel when they play this game."

:messenger_heart:
Deliver Norman Reedus GIF by PlayStation

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Sitting on my digital copy, patiently waiting for the $10 upgrade to PS5. This is how you do it, not forcing consumers to buy the stupid thing all over again. Looking at you FF7R and Greedfall.

??

My final fantasy VII remake from launch upgraded to the PS5 version at no additional cost. You only have to buy the DLC if you want, nothing else.

Last edited:

crozier

??

My final fantasy VII remake from launch upgraded to the PS5 version at no additional cost. You only have to buy the DLC if you want, nothing else.
Sorry, PS+ owner here.

I’m not going to pay for the full game just for the privilege of paying for the DLC.

Vol5

I'm one of those people, I played it for an hour or two.

I need to stop buying games for their hype.

Maybe play this masterful game for more than and hour or two to understand why it's such a joy? The game gives you more the more you play and has truly emergent gameplay; I can't say that for 99% of other games tbh. Such a pity gamers these days play games for a few hours then consign them to the rubbish bin. Perhaps we are so used to being given drivel for games and know that the first few hours sets the expectation for the remainder. Death Stranding changes that if your prepared to give it a chance.

Kerotan

Yes all of that in his clown campaign. That along with KatharsisT also talking shit on Death Stranding’s development and telling us Silent Hill will be shown on this, this and that event and conveniently blaming Covid for it no show since say August.

They were a circus act.
And protected by the Higher ups on era. They must be on the payroll too.

Terenty

You don't need to be a genius to understand that DS budet was much MUCH smaller than any other Sony first party studio games.

Using the in house engine, approximately 100 ppl working, ~ 3 years of development.

These are borderline indie numbers when you consider the size of a typical AAA company.

Just by looking at the game itself you can immediately see all the cut corners. Copy-pasted bunkers, copy-pasted bases, only about 3 different models for human enemies, a couple of bosses, one bike, one truck, a few tools, no day night cycle, almost all story cutscenes happening in the same locations etc.

Selling 5 mill is a good number for a game like that. Conclusion? Kojima genius.

not an outright flop but not as big as it used to be. not surprising for halo after the original creators left. many of the fans left with them. many casuals left too after cod 4 modern warfare. 343i aint a good replacement imo. they're an average studio.
Many IPs will see their original creators leave. It happened with Halo 2, God Of War, GTA Ect.

Gt sport sold over 10mil copies. Also community is active as ever. And it's a spin off. Watch the numbers 7 will pull.
Halo 5 is failure that's why they rebooted.
Deal with it.
I think GT Sport sales are 8 million down from GT5 11 million. Next, you'll be saying R&C on the PS4 was a flop too

Maybe because halo is a very well known and popular franchise and Death Stranding is a new and quite particular ip ? also that 5 millions for Halo 5 is a failure compared to the sales of the old Halo ?
It was a huge decline, but 343 apologists continue to say that Halo 5 was a big success for MS.

GymWolf

You don't need to be a genius to understand that DS budet was much MUCH smaller than any other Sony first party studio games.

Using the in house engine, approximately 100 ppl working, ~ 3 years of development.

These are borderline indie numbers when you consider the size of a typical AAA company.

Just by looking at the game itself you can immediately see all the cut corners. Copy-pasted bunkers, copy-pasted bases, only about 3 different models for human enemies, a couple of bosses, one bike, one truck, a few tools, no day night cycle, almost all story cutscenes happening in the same locations etc.

Selling 5 mill is a good number for a game like that. Conclusion? Kojima genius.
I'm sure that santa klaus payed for mads mikkelsen and the other hollywood actors apparitions...

If kojima wasn't so in love with hollywood maybe we would have a better far more varied game because let's be real, famous actors do nothing for the likeability of a character since we can argue that the made up characters in mgs saga have like 10x times the charisma of the DS cast without having hollywood faces...

Sure it probably doesn't have tlou2 or gow budget but it is probably not far from other big sony games.

The fact that it doesn't have a sequel simply means that sony doesn't want to risk again, you can only fool a lot fo people with kojima name for the first title of a saga, not 2.

Not saying that the game is trash, but people is naive if they don't think that at least 70% of the copies were sold thanks to kojima name\daryl from twd on the cover.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think GT Sport sales are 8 million down from GT5 11 million. Next, you'll be saying R&C on the PS4 was a flop too
GTSport have around 14 million created... no Beta included.
Each PSN Account can create one single profile if he/she play the game online.

I know family exits, game sharing exists, used games exists, duplicate (same person have more than one account) etc.
But do you believe 6 million of these account are family, sharing, used, duplicate, etc?

IMO I believe people are underestimating a lot GTS sales... it keep showing in EU charts time to time... in UK it already showed several times in the weekly ranking.

It was a huge decline, but 343 apologists continue to say that Halo 5 was a big success for MS.
Imagine if a franchise loses 2/3 of it user base... that can be called a big success?

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm sure that santa klaus payed for mads mikkelsen and the other hollywood actors apparitions...

If kojima wasn't so in love with hollywood maybe we would have a better far more varied game because let's be real, famous actors do nothing for the likeability of a character since we can argue that the made up characters in mgs saga have like 10x times the charisma of the DS cast without having hollywood faces...

Sure it probably doesn't have tlou2 or gow budget but it is probably not far from other big sony games.

The fact that it doesn't have a sequel simply means that sony doesn't want to risk again, you can only fool a lot fo people with kojima name for the first title of a saga, not 2.

Not saying that the game is trash, but people is naive if they don't think that at least 70% of the copies were sold thanks to kojima name\daryl from twd on the cover.
Detroit BH had a $37 million budget and that had Hollywood actors in it too. Kojima Studio is much smaller than Quantic Dream.

Fame has nothing to do with who got casted for the role. He created those characters for those actors he was a fan of and based them on their likeness. Writers and actors breath life into characters, the fact that the face they use is recognizable is inconsequential. You are not playing as Norman, you are playing as Sam who is not even remotely the same as Snake. In the same vein as Nathan Drake is not the same as Joel. I wouldn't describe Joel as a charismatic character compared to Nathan Drake. GOW and TLOU also had Hollywood actors in it too. When you have a connection like Sony to be able to cast Hollywood actors in your game, why not?

It is not debatable that the budget for TLOU is probably 4x - 5x Death Stranding. It is closer to Detroit $37 million than it is to GOW or TLOU.

The fact that it doesn't have a sequel does not mean anything. Sony creates one of IPs all the time. David Cage was funded by Sony for 3 games. I don't think Kojima would have problem getting funding from Sony if he wanted. Death Stranding is a very profitable game for both Kojima Productions and Sony as we can clearly see.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in buying a product based on who is feature in it and who created it. I'm sure you buy games based on the studio behind it, you buy music based on the name of the artist, you go to the cinema to see movies based on the actors in it or the director. Art is one part artist and one part content. A Van Gogh is a Van Gogh for that same reason.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Crazy to think that it sold as well as it did, but I'm happy to hear it as I enjoyed it a great deal! I know the game wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I for one thought it was an interesting and enjoyable ride. Loved it.

not the entire studio though.
Yet it never seems to be an issue when Nintendo hand out out IP to totally different developers. I actually thought that Sumo Digital did a better job with Sackboy than Media Molecule. Hal0 5 wasn't a bad game, it was a terrible focus on 4 player co-op and trying to tell a branching story from different points of view than hurt the title so much IMO.

Yet it never seems to be an issue when Nintendo hand out out IP to totally different developers. I actually thought that Sumo Digital did a better job with Sackboy than Media Molecule. Hal0 5 wasn't a bad game, it was a terrible focus on 4 player co-op and trying to tell a branching story from different points of view than hurt the title so much IMO.

i think so much of the halo audience switched over to call of duty after modern warfare became a massive hit. everything kinda went wrong for halo after that. bungie left and also the qaulity of the game went down aswell. on top of that microsoft themselves had an awful period from 2013 onwards, which pretty much lasted the entire generation. that also had a knock on effect on their ip.

anyway im not sure why the hell we are talking about halo in this thread. make a thread about it if you want.

Last edited:
I belive the PS4 sales were down on what the series sold on the PS2 or PS3 and nowhere near 5 million of Halo 5. I guess that must mean it flopped

So you believe and you haven't actually looked?

It was the fastest selling insomniac game and the most successful according to the developer.

A budget $40 game does not need to sell anything equivilient to Halo 5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
So you believe and you haven't actually looked?

It was the fastest selling insomniac game and the most successful according to the developer.

A budget $40 game does not need to sell anything equivilient to Halo 5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That be clever since it seemed not to break the 2 million sales barrier. I gather 343 said that Halo 5 sold well.

RaduN

So, there are still 5 million of us left out there :messenger_fistbump:
There's still hope for conceptually absurd yet highly addictive and ultimatelly intensly rewarding games then :messenger_horns:

You want me to prove your unproven claim wrong? Mate that's not how this works lmao

And besides, we have the devs saying that it's their fastest selling, and most successful title pre-spiderman, so that's evidence on my part. What's yours?
I honestly can't find any proof of the game selling better than the PS2 or PS3 versions. By all means prove otherwise

ethomaz

Banned
That is questionable sales data. And like saying Sea of Thieves is massive given it's got over 10 million players, whilst many on here say that MS doesn't have any 1st part games that sell.
Because the game has a trail version.
GTS not.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
LOL, what about Forza Horzion 4 apparently that's got over 7 million players.Yet another huge seller for MS *rollseyes*
Let's explain the difference here.
Both FH4 and Sea of Thieves has a Demo/Trial that can be played for an amount of time without need to pay anything... you win even achievements and so it is counted as a player... you don't need to have access to the paid game copy to enter into the "players".

GTS doesn't have that.

GTS had a Beta but the Beta only profiles have a Status saying it was played just in the Beta phase... today there is around 500k profiles that are Beta only... after a Beta profile plays the final game it change status.
So GTS actually has around 14.5 million PSN accounts that played the game... from these ~500k are Beta only.... around 14 million have access to a fully paid GTS copy.

That is why I said from the 14 million players in GTS you have family/friend sharing, used copies and duplicated PSN accounts... do you believe 6 millions are of these? I don't.

BTW we have some actual data... UK the sold copies were 90% of the profiles and the worst scenario was Japan where the sold copies where 80% of the profiles.... the number can be deceased? Possible... but even if we take sales being around 70% of the profiles you will have something near 10 million.

Last edited:
Why are you asking me to show you the data when you brought it up first?
So that's a NO then. Thanks....
Let's explain the difference here.
Both FH4 and Sea of Thieves has a Demo/Trial that can be played for an amount of time without need to pay anything... you win even achievements and so it is counted as a player... you don't need to have access to the paid game copy to enter into the "players".

GTS doesn't have that.

GTS had a Beta but the Beta only profiles have a Status saying it was played just in the Beta phase... today there is around 500k profiles that are Beta only... after a Beta profile plays the final game it change status.
So GTS actually has around 14.5 million PSN accounts that played the game... from these ~500k are Beta only.... around 14 million have access to a fully paid GTS copy.

That is why I said from the 14 million players in GTS you have family/friend sharing, used copies and duplicated PSN accounts... do you believe 6 millions are of these? I don't.
Ok Jim

Top Bottom