• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ahhh loving this feels so good to be back. Game looks great at 4K 60fps

DONT BE SO SERIOUS

Also good news it recognized my Nintendo Switch Wired Pro controller and even uses it’s button layouts. It is very much a crapshoot whether I can get my controller to work with a PC game on first attempt so this is much appreciated!

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
What difficult part? Mule camp?

The boss fight, no cover system, awful waiting on blood transfusions for no good reason, awful gunplay. The game doesn't even introduce any combat before this, for a game that properly and slowly introduces elements by dipping your toe in, it just gives you assault weapons and then gives you this shitty fight where you can't dodge, can't take cover and in hard mode your bullets are peas.

I guess this hit me harder, because I'm genuinely loving the normal gameplay.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I really love Mud Runner, for me this is an actual competent Mud Runner, I just wish the truck mechanics were a bit more like Mud Runner, instead of "fudging the physics". I'm playing on Hard and it's a good time... until Chapter 4, fuck that entire thing, what a pile of shit, I had to change the difficulty mode for that bit, I hope there aren't too many more parts like that.

If that was the boss fight, I had to do the same thing on the PS4 version. Out of nowhere the game turned into an extremely incompetent 3rd person shooter where you could only shoot the enemies if you poked out from cover and if you're playing on Hard, you get melted the second that you do. The controls were awful, the mechanics were awful, and it was just shoved in horribly.

There are other areas in the game where you could tell that they were toying with ideas of other mechanics but scrapped them instead. I'm trying to be vague here but there's an area where you use a flashlight to see in a dark area, and the game even gives you tutorial messages about how to use it...but it was a big nothing. You literally just walk in a dark area with the flashlight on and then it ends. They were clearly going for something bigger that got scrapped there.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Aw man the first reveal of that giant EE. So damn cool.

The EEs in this are so awesome. The BBs as well!

I have graphics settings cranked down low to get a decent framerate and it still looks nice.

6axwhMs.jpg

xSy3I3V.jpg

zBrkAC3.jpg

FjaiNUE.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah this is amazing. Love being back in this world w the sci fi vibes. The soundtrack is taking me back! Love it.

The chiarlium is much more noticable at this level of clarity w all the shimmery particles. Sam’s suit at one point looked phosphorescent.

Last edited:
Game stuttered a little during the first cutscene. On gameplay segments it runs above 100 fps most of the time. I have a 1080 ti. It's still a very good gpu.
So far my only complaints are cinematics being locked to 60 fps and the lack of a fov slider.

I wonder if people will find ways to tweak thew game or even be able to mod it.

Bragr

Banned
Terrible boss fights.
Mediocre and disappointing gunplay.
Some missions feel pointless (climb up the snow mountains over and over, I'm looking at you).
BT's start to feel repetitive and tedious at times.
Utterly fascinating setting.
Parts of the story are fantastic.
Some of the actors absolutely fucking kill it. (Die-Hardman towards the end when he breaks down, brilliant).
Makes walking a meditative and contemplative experience unlike anything out there.
Awesome attention to details everyone, from your safe room to how the physics works with your cargo.

9.5 out of fucking 10. One of the most fascinating games of this generation.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So I’ve seen clips of a cutscene where you are in your private room and heart man shows you a new grenade and it’s literally a bunch of shit in a test tube. I know I’ve seen it. But I just played through what I thought was that part of the game and it was just a test tube with orange liquid. How do I see the shit grenade cutscene?

Shmunter

So I’ve seen clips of a cutscene where you are in your private room and heart man shows you a new grenade and it’s literally a bunch of shit in a test tube. I know I’ve seen it. But I just played through what I thought was that part of the game and it was just a test tube with orange liquid. How do I see the shit grenade cutscene?
I suspect your thinking of an umbilical cord, not a grenade

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Love the grind in this game. Every thing you do rewards you a little bit. Every delivery ends in some new gear or expanded coverage or something cool. If you are compulsive about filling in checklists and such this game loop is very gratifying! Right from the start it is steadily filing out new things and upgrades until the endgame. Very well paced in that way. though you do end up with the most difficult and demanding missions be the first ones you play.

the cutscenes are great I like how each chapter focuses on a specific character. “More than a nation. A symbol of freedom and hope” Fragile talking about their group sounding like Big Boss & Kaz. Kojima still exploring these sci fi utopian idealists

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Love the grind in this game. Every thing you do rewards you a little bit. Every delivery ends in some new gear or expanded coverage or something cool. If you are compulsive about filling in checklists and such this game is very gratifying in that way! Right from the start it is steadily filing out new things and upgrades until the endgame. Very well paced in that way. though you do end up with the most difficult and demanding missions be the first ones you play.
Great photos! I loved the grind in Death Stranding too - best part of the game was setting my zipline network so I could deliver goods fast as fuck. I don't think I ever had more fun getting the platinum in a game than I did with DS. It looks so good on PC.
This is art.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Also you can make the ghosts retreat by relieving yourself in their direction... lol

SkylineRKR

Would've been my GOTY 2019, if I had bought it at launch and not last Januari on sale. This game is so good. The struggle to get somehwere, and then grinding materials to improve the infrastructure. Logging in a day later, and see a huge chunk of road unfold, making the next delivery piss easy. Finding that ladder placed by a random player when you're out and desperate. Hammering that like button.

Death Stranding fucking rocks.

is it worth grinding the various contacts to 5 stars?

awesome game btw
I also would like to know. About to start my 2nd play-trough. I kind of rushed it the first time on PS4 and this time I'd like to take it slow and read all the emails and do as much contracts as possible.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
there is a list of all rewards at Central Region here:

in general it expands coverage, enabling you to see more and build more structures. plus lots of item color options and some other things (Truck level 3 maybe some other fabrications as well) also getting to 5 stars makes it so you can rest & fully recharge your stamina. some delivery spots have this already but many don't. when you get to 5 stars you can rest anywhere.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so how do i turn DLSS on? i don't see a setting in my settings but i have a card that should work. been googling everyone to find out how to turn it on but i only see comparison vids.

or is it just something that kicks in if i have the right hardware?

Update: fuck, looks like it's RTX cards and i have a GTX.

Last edited:
is it worth grinding the various contacts to 5 stars?

awesome game btw
Only, if you want to build a ton of structures. 5 stars gives more connection points. Open the map and hover over your building to see how many connection points it uses. Bridge alone takes 1000. You can see how many points you already used up and total available at the top of map view.

It's recommended to reach at least 3 stars to get the Level 3 gear though. [ex roboticist gives you level 3 all terrain skeleton]

LokusAbriss

The game is very well optimised for PC. I am enjoying it so much like if its my first time
Is it a substantial upgrade? I played through it on a PS4 Slim, not Pro. So, besides the obvious frame rate improvements, is it much better? It is hard to judge from youtube clips and screenshots.

Mista

Banned
Is it a substantial upgrade? I played through it on a PS4 Slim, not Pro. So, besides the obvious frame rate improvements, is it much better? It is hard to judge from youtube clips and screenshots.
Definitely. I played on Pro and now PC

With this whole DLSS 2.0 the game is just phenomenal

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
judging by these PC screenshots it's a huge upgrade.

i'm playing on PS4 slim right now and it looks good on my TV but if i sit up close the textures are really low quality and water looks really bad. there is quite a bit of aliasing which would be fixed if i were playing on PC.

also, the text/icons are so small (even when set to Large) and it's hard to make out the text on my TV. playing this on a monitor right infront of me would be so much better.

i wish i had waited a couple weeks to get it on PC instead of PS4. i only just started playing recently. maybe if i want to replay it then i'll get it for PC. i got it on PS4 because it was on sale. i would have stopped playing and restarted on PC but i can't really be assed now. i'm on episode 3 at the moment.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Thanks! I will jump in again in the coming weeks. Will be quite emotionally for me, but can't wait. Should be able to run it at 4k.

Kadayi

Banned
Fuck it, had some good news on the work front so bought both this and HZD on Steam. Might not get into it all that much aside from giving it a quick look see as I really want to finish up Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice before committing to a new game though. I wasn't too sold on what I saw when it came out initially, but at the same time I'm interested in the tech if nothing else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom