• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

sncvsrtoip

I gave it a chance even tough after gameplays I thought it would be boring and also don't like horror elements in games usually and I'm happy. Sure there were boring moments in my 50h gameplay but also it was addictive and I want to do one more deliver. Graphic is great and one of better this ending generation (especially character faces during cutscenes) but there are sometimes lacking textures. Also I didn't notice any bug (played year after release so don't know how it was on premiere) and it was quite contrasting to Valhalla I've played earlier ;d Story, lore is very unique and original, was very curious to find out how it will develop. Ending was little disappointing for me but generally nice surprise as this game is really good. 8.5/10

Bramble

So I finally got around to start this game on PS5. Quick question. I just left for the first big delivery (the one after visiting the incinerator complex) and right outside I'm finding all this cargo that, if I'm not mistaking, needs to be delivered back to where I just came from (where Deadman and Die-Hardman are). I also have the option to drop the cargo in some kind of pod-like things that pop up out of the ground. What am I supposed to be doing here? Is there a better option? Walk back? If I drop them in the pods it says other players can pick them up.

TheBoss1

So I finally got around to start this game on PS5. Quick question. I just left for the first big delivery (the one after visiting the incinerator complex) and right outside I'm finding all this cargo that, if I'm not mistaking, needs to be delivered back to where I just came from (where Deadman and Die-Hardman are). I also have the option to drop the cargo in some kind of pod-like things that pop up out of the ground. What am I supposed to be doing here? Is there a better option? Walk back? If I drop them in the pods it says other players can pick them up.
Most first timers get overwhelmed trying to carry every abandoned cargo in sight. Just worry about getting to chapter 3 before you burn yourself out like many have done.

Bramble

Most first timers get overwhelmed trying to carry every abandoned cargo in sight. Just worry about getting to chapter 3 before you burn yourself out like many have done.

Yeah somebody indeed told me to focus on the stort first. I'm getting overwhelmed indeed. When I log into one of those stations, I also see al this optional cargo left bij other players and as completionist (I don't care about trophies, but I want to do everything), that kinda scared me. I will ignore those for now.

Shmunter

Yeah somebody indeed told me to focus on the stort first. I'm getting overwhelmed indeed. When I log into one of those stations, I also see al this optional cargo left bij other players and as completionist (I don't care about trophies, but I want to do everything), that kinda scared me. I will ignore those for now.
Tip: Learn the shortcuts for the inventory system. Not necessarily related to your woes, but needs to be said

TheBoss1

I'm sort of a completionist myself if I love the game. I recently taught myself to not get to caught up with side missions because they make the game stale fast and they are primarily in games to pad the play time.

I recently played Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and was starting to get annoyed by the side missions being repetitive. I decided to just do story missions unless the game didn't give me a main mission right away. I finished the game much faster than I thought I would be, and while I did enjoy the game a lot more than I thought I would, I doubt I'll be going back to 100% it.

The whole point of this is if you enjoy the game enough you will go back to finish the side missions. If not, you will move on and say, "I'll come back some day to finish them", then you never do lol

Last edited:

Bramble

Tip: Learn the shortcuts for the inventory system. Not necessarily related to your woes, but needs to be said

Not sure what you mean, but it doesn't matter. I tried for 10 hours and really wanted to like it, but it's boring, sluggish and not fun at all. It's very unique and it looks beautiful, but to think this carries on for another 30 hours, no thank you.

I'm sort of a completionist myself if I love the game. I recently taught myself to not get to caught up with side missions because they make the game stale fast and they are primarily in games to pad the play time.

I recently played Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and was starting to get annoyed by the side missions being repetitive. I decided to just do story missions unless the game didn't give me a main mission right away. I finished the game much faster than I thought I would be, and while I did enjoy the game a lot more than I thought I would, I doubt I'll be going back to 100% it.

The whole point of this is if you enjoy the game enough you will go back to finish the side missions. If not, you will move on and say, "I'll come back some day to finish them", then you never do lol

Yeah see my comment above. I'm on to something I actually enjoy playing. This is not for me.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Not sure what you mean, but it doesn't matter. I tried for 10 hours and really wanted to like it, but it's boring, sluggish and not fun at all. It's very unique and it looks beautiful, but to think this carries on for another 30 hours, no thank you.

Yeah see my comment above. I'm on to something I actually enjoy playing. This is not for me.
In which act are you? It starts slow but opens up and gets more complex.

Bramble

In which act are you? It starts slow but opens up and gets more complex.

I think I was like 80% into act 2. More complex than it already is? Good thing I stopped then, lol. I just stopped caring when I was attacked by some huge dolphin or something, lost all my cargo, my bike, got no more grenades, have no idea what to do. I keep bumping my bike into rocks etc. I mean what is the story anyway? I'm so curious how Kojima got all these A-listed actors on board. I mean how did he pitched this to them? They must've though he was high as kite. Pissing to make grenades? Bridges? Bridget? Deadman? Die-Hardman? Mama? It's all so incredibly silly and unbelievable. And the map is supposed to represent America? So a half hour walk means you cross like half or 1/3 of the country?

I would love a Far Cry like game on this map though. It looks absolutely stunning and photorealistic.

Con-Z-epT

I think I was like 80% into act 2. More complex than it already is? Good thing I stopped then, lol. I just stopped caring when I was attacked by some huge dolphin or something, lost all my cargo, my bike, got no more grenades, have no idea what to do. I keep bumping my bike into rocks etc. I mean what is the story anyway? I'm so curious how Kojima got all these A-listed actors on board. I mean how did he pitched this to them? They must've though he was high as kite. Pissing to make grenades? Bridges? Bridget? Deadman? Die-Hardman? Mama? It's all so incredibly silly and unbelievable. And the map is supposed to represent America? So a half hour walk means you cross like half or 1/3 of the country?

I would love a Far Cry like game on this map though. It looks absolutely stunning and photorealistic.
You should at least try to play up until act 5 i think before it the game really gets going. Makes a big difference! You always have a mission objective to follow and if you run out of ammo the game will provide it. The more often you use the same road the more it will change und build a beaten path for you to easily traverse. It is a gameplay mechanic. Or you are just a bad driver. :messenger_winking:

You reunite america and bring the goods. Nothing that complicated about the story although there is some vague stuff. Why is it unbelievable for such actors to contribute to such a game? That is their job and Death Stranding sure wasn't the first weird sci-fi story they acted for. Have you never played a Hideo Kojima game? It is fiction and it shouldn't be believable to begin with. It is well acted and entertaining. It is a video game so of course they didn't modeled the whole USA since it should be fun to traverse.

Bramble

You should at least try to play up until act 5 i think before it the game really gets going. Makes a big difference! You always have a mission objective to follow and if you run out of ammo the game will provide it. The more often you use the same road the more it will change und build a beaten path for you to easily traverse. It is a gameplay mechanic. Or you are just a bad driver. :messenger_winking:

You reunite america and bring the goods. Nothing that complicated about the story although there is some vague stuff. Why is it unbelievable for such actors to contribute to such a game? That is their job and Death Stranding sure wasn't the first weird sci-fi story they acted for. Have you never played a Hideo Kojima game? It is fiction and it shouldn't be believable to begin with. It is well acted and entertaining. It is a video game so of course they didn't modeled the whole USA since it should be fun to traverse.

Yeah I know, but the mission objectives are literally "pick this up and bring it to the other side of the map, while in the meantime you get stuck behind every rocks while we throw some BT's and timefall your way to make your trip as hard and tedious as possible".

Sorry, but no way I'm gonna sit through this for another 2 or 3 acts. I was out of ammo during the battle and I didn't get any new grenades. I frankly also stopped caring at that moment, to be honest.

Watch the Dunkey video. He shows exactly what is so bad about the gameplay mechanics/traversal. It just doesn't feel fluid to play, you get stuck everywhere or just fall and lose all your shit.

The story doesn't make any sense to me. Why does this dude where a silly black mask? What's with all the weird names? Why does America look like Iceland? And then there's the urinating and shitting. It's just ridiculous. I didn't exactly say it's unbelievable these actors are contributing. I said I'm curious how they got them aboard and how his pitch went and what they at first thought. It had to be funny. 'Yeah we're making a game in a weird Icelandic looking post apocalyptic America where for some reason you are a walking UPS delivery man and you have to arrange and balance your cargo and the rain makes everything older and some dudes where weird mask and at some places there are invisible floating humans that can only hear you and if they catch you there's a pool of black tar and you have to fight a black tar whale with grenades that contain your own blood and you wear a baby that can sense these beings. And then you lose all your cargo which also happens when you fall or lose your balance and after that you have to pick everything up and repair if it's damaged'. Yeah sounds like utter fun. I only played MGS5. Also dropped that after a few hours. I guess Kojima and I aren't a real match. I have no interest in his next game whatsoever.

I know a lot of fictional games and they all make more sense then this. Not everything has to be a true story, but I prefer it to be a little more believable instead of laughable. I didn't find it entertaining at all, to be honest. Except for the beautiful environments.

I know they can't model the entire country, but they could for example make each act a different state with it's own biome and let you fast travel to the next state after finishing an act (or returning there if you want to). That would add a lot more immersion for me personally.

If at 10 hours there still isn't a click, you should just move on to something you do enjoy.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Yeah I know, but the mission objectives are literally "pick this up and bring it to the other side of the map, while in the meantime you get stuck behind every rocks while we throw some BT's and timefall your way to make your trip as hard and tedious as possible".

Sorry, but no way I'm gonna sit through this for another 2 or 3 acts. I was out of ammo during the battle and I didn't get any new grenades. I frankly also stopped caring at that moment, to be honest.

Watch the Dunkey video. He shows exactly what is so bad about the gameplay mechanics/traversal. It just doesn't feel fluid to play, you get stuck everywhere or just fall and lose all your shit.

The story doesn't make any sense to me. Why does this dude where a silly black mask? What's with all the weird names? Why does America look like Iceland? And then there's the urinating and shitting. It's just ridiculous. I didn't exactly say it's unbelievable these actors are contributing. I said I'm curious how they got them aboard and how his pitch went and what they at first thought. It had to be funny. 'Yeah we're making a game in a weird Icelandic looking post apocalyptic America where for some reason you are a walking UPS delivery man and you have to arrange and balance your cargo and the rain makes everything older and some dudes where weird mask and at some places there are invisible floating humans that can only hear you and if they catch you there's a pool of black tar and you have to fight a black tar whale with grenades that contain your own blood and you wear a baby that can sense these beings. And then you lose all your cargo which also happens when you fall or lose your balance and after that you have to pick everything up and repair if it's damaged'. Yeah sounds like utter fun. I only played MGS5. Also dropped that after a few hours. I guess Kojima and I aren't a real match. I have no interest in his next game whatsoever.

I know a lot of fictional games and they all make more sense then this. Not everything has to be a true story, but I prefer it to be a little more believable instead of laughable. I didn't find it entertaining at all, to be honest. Except for the beautiful environments.

I know they can't model the entire country, but they could for example make each act a different state with it's own biome and let you fast travel to the next state after finishing an act (or returning there if you want to). That would add a lot more immersion for me personally.

If at 10 hours there still isn't a click, you should just move on to something you do enjoy.
Of course if you don't feel it than there should be no incentive for you to keep playing.

But.

If you really just played into act 2 and haven't even finished it then you are judging a book by its cover. The game gives you a solution for each "problem" it introduces and it also adds more on the way, offering more and more gameplay options right up until the end. To hold the balance with your cargo is a gameplay mechanic. If you drop it you are playing it wrong. It should feel difficult to some extend to deliver your cargo because it is getting easier and easier the further you play to carry more and more of it, faster and faster. That is to provide a contrast to the early hours of the game and give you a sense of accomplishment. Same goes for combat.

Why would i watch a video of someone who didn't liked a game that i had a lot of fun with?

You haven't even started to experience the story and you are already way to focused on minor things such as the apperance of some characters but wonder why it doesn't make sense to you. Just play the game if you want to know. Of course the story won't be concluded in the first hours of the game. Again, this is fiction. Created by one of the biggest trolls in the industrie. Hideo tries to have fun while creating this world and while it is definitely a weird game it is also incredible creative in a lot of ways. You come of as way to obsessed about small things that drag down your personal experience while you miss the bigger picture.

It is a polarizing game and sure not for everyone.

Last edited:

Bramble

Of course if you don't feel it than there should be no incentive for you to keep playing.

But.

If you really just played into act 2 and haven't even finished it then you are judging a book by its cover. The game gives you a solution for each "problem" it introduces and it also adds more on the way, offering more and more gameplay options right up until the end. To hold the balance with your cargo is a gameplay mechanic. If you drop it you are playing it wrong. It should feel difficult to some extend to deliver your cargo because it is getting easier and easier the further you play to carry more and more of it, faster and faster. That is to provide a contrast to the early hours of the game and give you a sense of accomplishment. Same goes for combat.

Why would i watch a video of someone who didn't liked a game that i had a lot of fun with?

You haven't even started to experience the story and you are already way to focused on minor things such as the apperance of some characters but wonder why it doesn't make sense to you. Just play the game if you want to know. Of course the story won't be concluded in the first hours of the game. Again, this is fiction. Created by one of the biggest trolls in the industrie. Hideo tries to have fun while creating this world and while it is definitely a weird game it is also incredible creative in a lot of ways. You come of as way to obsessed about small things that drag down your personal experience while you miss the bigger picture.

It is a polarizing game and sure not for everyone.

I just watched a full story recap, so I’m good. I know it’s gameplay, I know the mechanics. They’re not fun to me. The combat is not fun. Everything is highly polished but playing this feels sluggish to the point of annoyance. I have a huge backlog, 2 kids and a full time job. I don’t see the point in continuing after 10 hours while I could actually do something that feels like fun. These 10 hours are already wasted. I’m just glad I only payed for the upgrade.

Shmunter

I just watched a full story recap, so I’m good. I know it’s gameplay, I know the mechanics. They’re not fun to me. The combat is not fun. Everything is highly polished but playing this feels sluggish to the point of annoyance. I have a huge backlog, 2 kids and a full time job. I don’t see the point in continuing after 10 hours while I could actually do something that feels like fun. These 10 hours are already wasted. I’m just glad I only payed for the upgrade.
At least you gave it a red hot go so that’s admirable in itself. The game is polarising. There are people that are mesmerised by it and those that just don’t like what it’s doing.

I’m someone that hates filler, time wasting, open world bloat. Yet this game is a landmark in all my gaming. Just clicked almost immediately for me and played all the way to the end without touching anything else.

The high concept sci-fi, the sounds, the sights, the sense of progress conquering a desolate world - it all came together for me.

Desavona

The most difficult part of this game was delivering an anti matter bomb from heartmans lab to wherever. After I died once I just built a zip line network and went back and got the bomb and zipped the whole way ezpz. I don’t get the complaints about falling over a lot all you have to do is pick your path and hold the shoulder button down, as for hitting rocks with the bike it’s just like real life you have to lift the front wheel. All in all this was one of my fave games I’ve played in a long time.

Cyborg

RLTTP; I started playing the Director's Cut for the first time and I'm not ''feeling'' the game. I'm so overwhelmed by the UI and information given, I just want to give up.

Any tips? Or shouldn't I even bother?

rofif

Banned
The most difficult part of this game was delivering an anti matter bomb from heartmans lab to wherever. After I died once I just built a zip line network and went back and got the bomb and zipped the whole way ezpz. I don’t get the complaints about falling over a lot all you have to do is pick your path and hold the shoulder button down, as for hitting rocks with the bike it’s just like real life you have to lift the front wheel. All in all this was one of my fave games I’ve played in a long time.
I know people complain about the bike but I love how precise and physicsy it felt.
All small rocks and inclines. You feel all of it. But You can almost always wiggle out, jump, lift front wheel. great stuff

RLTTP; I started playing the Director's Cut for the first time and I'm not ''feeling'' the game. I'm so overwhelmed by the UI and information given, I just want to give up.

Any tips? Or shouldn't I even bother?
It's not a game for everyone. If You are tired of walking and talking all the time... walking will be replaced by power skeletons an vehicles. Talking will never end.
I love the game personally. All I can say is that it opens with chapter 3. you will know when

Cyborg

I know people complain about the bike but I love how precise and physicsy it felt.
All small rocks and inclines. You feel all of it. But You can almost always wiggle out, jump, lift front wheel. great stuff

It's not a game for everyone. If You are tired of walking and talking all the time... walking will be replaced by power skeletons an vehicles. Talking will never end.
I love the game personally. All I can say is that it opens with chapter 3. you will know when
Thanks, I will give it a try. Walking doesn't bother me its just so overwhelming with things to do

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Thanks, I will give it a try. Walking doesn't bother me its just so overwhelming with things to do

Just take it easy and go with the game, there's plenty of time to do everything, but it's also easy to burn out trying to do too much too soon.

GreenAlien

You have to sit through have half an hour of credit rolls.. you cant go afk because there is the occasional cut scene. Real life timefall. I felt myself growing older sitting through this sequence :-/. And it isn't even the final credit roll.

Even Sam goes
Screenshot-2023-11-15-222917.jpg

if you make him shout during that sequence... Kojima is an ass. I always thought I didn't like short epilogues and that devs should make them longer... I was wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom