• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Voted Game of the Year 2019 by 132 Japanese Developers & Celebs on Famitsu.

thelastword

Banned
I think they've caught up quite nicely. This was true about three years ago.
Why are you even bothering talking with someone that said all Japanese games are remakes, in a thread about a completely 100% new IP, new genre Japanese game winning GOTY?
Wow are you serious......There's a All Japanese games are remakes FUD line , just like there is an "all Sony games are the same" FUD line.....I wonder if the people saying that are connected......Is this a serial crime.....?

Papa

Banned
How can gameplay be pretentious?

Oh, I see what you’re doing. I’ll humour you.

Having to constantly mash triggers to balance your character’s weight as you walk serves no purpose other than to frustrate and annoy the player and fill in time between getting from point A to point B.

Having to spam the touchpad to give other players likes for every inane thing they do (if there must be a like system, why not just have 1 like per player?).

Having to constantly check on a psychic baby whose abilities and general presence make zero sense outside of the childish fever dreaming of an overhyped creator.

Every other random action that has no relevance other than being different for the sake of it.

The gameplay isn’t designed to be fun; it’s designed to be unique and quirky, like a hipster prioritising form over function. That’s why it’s pretentious.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have only played this for like 5 hours. I'm not gonna say much just yet but so far, I'm lukewarm on Death Stranding. It's pretty, and pretty boring so far. I'll try to do a few more tonight.

Last edited:

Terenty

Having to constantly mash triggers to balance your character’s weight as you walk serves no purpose other than to frustrate and annoy the player and fill in time between getting from point A to point B.

Having to spam the touchpad to give other players likes for every inane thing they do (if there must be a like system, why not just have 1 like per player?).

Having to constantly check on a psychic baby whose abilities and general presence make zero sense outside of the childish fever dreaming of an overhyped creator.

Every other random action that has no relevance other than being different for the sake of it.

The gameplay isn’t designed to be fun; it’s designed to be unique and quirky, like a hipster prioritising form over function. That’s why it’s pretentious.

Are you sure you played the game?

Kokoloko85

Only problem I have is RE 2 being so low. It wasnt my top 3 but it was still amazing. (Mr X stopped it from being my top 3)
Death stranding, Fire Emblem, Sekiro were mine.

Just realized Detroit was released this year. Should also be higher lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Yeah, like jumps and falls in a Mario game serve no purpose than to frustrate the player, why not just let them walk to the end of a level...

You are just being obtuse.

Papa

Banned
Yeah, like jumps and falls in a Mario game serve no purpose than to frustrate the player, why not just let them walk to the end of a level...

You are just being obtuse.

Comparing deaths in Mario, which exist to add challenge and thus increase the fun factor, to a tedious and repetitive balancing mechanic in the Death Stranding walking simulation, is far more obtuse than anything I have said.

The game sucks and no one would be praising it if it didn’t have the Kojima branding on it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Comparing deaths in Mario, which exist to add challenge and thus increase the fun factor, to a tedious and repetitive balancing mechanic in the Death Stranding walking simulation, is far more obtuse than anything I have said.

The game sucks and no one would be praising it if it didn’t have the Kojima branding on it.

Not at all, its just a far more evolved and analog version of the exact same thing. Terrain in DS is the constant threat you need to overcome, the degree of difficulty it poses depends upon your burden, and the degree of advance preparation and planning you do to ease that burden.

DS is fundamentally a real-time strategy game. Its about conquering a "space" more than an enemy, because ultimately this enemy (the world itself) cannot be defeated.

The only thing that sucks here is your argument. Its transparently nonsensical.

Papa

Banned
Not at all, its just a far more evolved and analog version of the exact same thing. Terrain in DS is the constant threat you need to overcome, the degree of difficulty it poses depends upon your burden, and the degree of advance preparation and planning you do to ease that burden.

DS is fundamentally a real-time strategy game. Its about conquering a "space" more than an enemy, because ultimately this enemy (the world itself) cannot be defeated.

The only thing that sucks here is your argument. Its transparently nonsensical.

I understand all of this, but the way it’s implemented just isn’t any fun.

I did. But how you played the game if you dont know that holding L2+R2 basically mitigates any need to balance weight? Did you use exoskeletons of which there are 3 types? Floating carriers? Vehicles? Zip lines?

Then what is the point of the mechanic at all if constantly holding down a pair of buttons mitigates it entirely?

Regarding the rest: nope. Played up to somewhere around chapter 4 and wasn’t having any fun whatsoever so threw in the towel and moved on. I was burned in the past by people telling me to stick with FF13 because it gets good towards the end and I no longer have the time or patience to stick with such games in the hope that they do indeed get good. Especially so when the story is utter tripe.

I love death stranding so it’s a well deserved GOTY from me, but I definitely can see why people don’t like it and don’t necessarily disagree. Sekiro didn’t click for me- but I can appreciate it and know it’s good.

what I don’t get is fucking Pokémon up there. No way anyone can argue that fucking game was good.

mcjmetroid

I love death stranding so it’s a well deserved GOTY from me, but I definitely can see why people don’t like it and don’t necessarily disagree. Sekiro didn’t click for me- but I can appreciate it and know it’s good.

what I don’t get is fucking Pokémon up there. No way anyone can argue that fucking game was good.

Ya Pokemon being there is a disgrace and very embarrassing.

Then again Japanese "celebs" are voting in this for some reason so who knows what they'd vote for.

ethomaz

Banned
How could anyone say with a straight face that Death Stranding is better than Sekiro?

😂😂😂
I found Death Stranding a better game than Sekiro... it is even better than Demons Souls to me.

Death Stranding gameplay is more engaging with way more things to do than Sekiro.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Can you share thoughts about Death Stranding now?

KiNeMz

Banned

I played this game for 160 hours. It was a blast.

Papa

Banned
I found Death Stranding a better game than Sekiro... it is even better than Demons Souls to me.

Death Stranding gameplay is more engaging with way more things to do than Sekiro.

Fair enough, play what you enjoy. Just don’t try to convince me that Death Stranding would have been as well received if it didn’t have the Kojima label on it. If it wins GAF GOTY, I’ll laugh, shake my head and move on... to a second playthrough of Sekiro.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fair enough, play what you enjoy. Just don’t try to convince me that Death Stranding would have been as well received if it didn’t have the Kojima label on it. If it wins GAF GOTY, I’ll laugh, shake my head and move on... to a second playthrough of Sekiro.
Well same way we like Miyazaki because we enjoy his games, there are people who like Kojima because they like the games he makes. Again just because you and me didn't like Death Stranding it mean thats gonna be true for everybody. There people NeoGAF absolutely hate Sekiro and just cant get in to it.

Our opinion is not absolute.

Papa

Banned
Well same way we like Miyazaki because we enjoy his games, there are people who like Kojima because they like the games he makes. Again just because you and me didn't like Death Stranding it mean thats gonna be true for everybody. There people NeoGAF absolutely hate Sekiro and just cant get in to it.

Our opinion is not absolute.

No shit

ethomaz

Banned
If it was not Kojima behind it then you should be here saying it was a masterpiece.

If it was a indie release then reviewers should be praising it like one of the best games ever made.

People like to trash everything Kojima do no matter what but I believe the denial phase should be passed already.

And you can be happy not just GAF but the world is already choosing Death Stranding as GOTY... it is leading comfortable against others releases.

Last edited:

Danjin44

You said "Death Stranding would have been as well received if it didn’t have the Kojima label on it" Let me ask aren't we looking forward to Elden Ring because we know Miyazaki is working on it? We excited about that because we enjoy his games, so how is that any different than people who enjoy Kojima games and looking forward what he makes?

Papa

Banned
You said "Death Stranding would have been as well received if it didn’t have the Kojima label on it" Let me ask aren't we looking forward to Elden Ring because we know Miyazaki is working on it? We excited about that because we enjoy his games, so how is that any different than people who enjoy Kojima games and looking forward what he makes?

Ok, but in the case of Elden Ring, it’s not out yet so there can be no critique of it. Your comment makes no sense.

Danjin44

Ok, but in the case of Elden Ring, it’s not out yet so there can be no critique of it. Your comment makes no sense.
Okay I put it this way, is Sekiro only being loved because Miyazaki was involved? or more reasonable reason people genuinely enjoy the game. Same with Death Stranding, I personally don't really like this game at but it is very possible other people genuinely loved the game.

Papa

Banned
Okay I put it this way, is Sekiro only being loved because Miyazaki was involved? or more reasonable reason people genuinely enjoy the game. Same with Death Stranding, I personally don't really like this game at but it is very possible other people genuinely loved the game.

I understand what you’re saying. Different strokes, etc. It just makes no sense to compare a game that isn’t out yet, i.e. a game for which we have no empirical evidence to support our criticism, with a game that is already out.

Danjin44

I understand what you’re saying. Different strokes, etc. It just makes no sense to compare a game that isn’t out yet, i.e. a game for which we have no empirical evidence to support our criticism, with a game that is already out.
Yeah, maybe Elden Ring was not exactly best example for this, but who cares I'm really excited about that game. I want to see whats FROM's version of "open world" looks like.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Yeah, maybe Elden Ring was not exactly best example for this, but who care I'm really excited about that game. I want to see whats FROM's version of "open world" looks like.

Me too mate. I’ll very likely see you in the OT when it release.

Mista

Banned
It wouldn’t have ended being like this if it wasn’t made by Kojima Productions. Just saying🤷🏻‍♂️

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I understand all of this, but the way it’s implemented just isn’t any fun.

Are you sure its not you rejecting the entire premise of being a post-apocalyptic deliveryman as being unavoidably not-fun?

That's the key "buy-in", for DS, not its mechanics which are every bit as well considered and executed as you'd expect from Kojima.

Sorry but this seems like one of those situations where someone dislikes or cannot see the appeal in something in general, then cherry-picks specific justifications to support that conclusion in their argument.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. But I think the reasons why you feel that way go a lot deeper than the brace mechanic. Its kinda like rejecting a skateboarding sim by saying, well if you keep one foot on the board and the other on the floor you can never fall over. Its really not the point.

Papa

Banned
Are you sure its not you rejecting the entire premise of being a post-apocalyptic deliveryman as being unavoidably not-fun?

That's the key "buy-in", for DS, not its mechanics which are every bit as well considered and executed as you'd expect from Kojima.

Sorry but this seems like one of those situations where someone dislikes or cannot see the appeal in something in general, then cherry-picks specific justifications to support that conclusion in their argument.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. But I think the reasons why you feel that way go a lot deeper than the brace mechanic. Its kinda like rejecting a skateboarding sim by saying, well if you keep one foot on the board and the other on the floor you can never fall over. Its really not the point.

If I was against the premise, I wouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

Top Bottom