• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEATHLOOP - Ray Tracing Mode Gameplay (PS5 4K)

rubhen925

Got a chance to play the game early thanks to Bethesda sending a code for the PS5 version. Here's some info and impressions:

- PS5 install size is 27.98 GB as of version 1.03
- 3 modes in game. Performance, Visual Quality, and Ray Tracing mode
- Performance is dynamic 4K with 60FPS stable
- Visual Quality is dynamic 4K with 60FPS and drops.
- Ray Tracing mode is dynamic 4K 30FPS, with ray tracing mode.
- played all 3 modes, it seems Performance is the best mode for smooth FPS experience. Ray tracing doesn't add much anyways. They all look the same imo.
- No in game HDR. Just using PS5 HDR settings for my own tv and capture.
- The game is a rogue lite for people who don't know.
- The point is to break the loop. If you die, and you will, you will start at the beginning of the day with all your guns and equipment gone.
- The goal of each day is to get clues to kill visionaries. There are 9 in total. Think of them as bosses. But these bosses reappear each time you reset the day.
- The way to the ending is to kill all 9 visionaries in one run. Hard to do as multiple of them need to be in one location at a time. That's why you hunt for clues to gather them up.
- The game has a 4 phase cycle to the day. Morning, noon, afternoon, and night. Each phase will have different objectives in the different areas on the map.
- There are 12 guns to play with, each with a tier quality. Normal, blue, purple, yellow. Yellow being the highest.
- the guns have a ton of recoil, so I would suggest to feather the triggers, instead of holding it.
- Haptics are there for the triggers, trigger resistance when guns jam etc.
- Guns tend to jam if you use them non stop without reloading, got to tap square to unjam them.
- 1 hour into the story you will gain access to powers. Similar to dishonored. Push, blink (teleport forward), etc. You can lose these powers as well if you die or reset the day.
- there are a total of 5 powers to use from.
- a bit further into that you will gain access to Infusion, which allows you to take your equipment and permanently add them to your loadout. Even if you die your loadout will remain.
- have to find residuum resources to infuse things.
- Each gun, ability, and your main character can have perks, which can be found in the world, or farmed off enemies.
- It's a fun system which allows for a ton of customization. Though I found a machine pistol that leeches life off enemies so I'm kind of broken at the moment.
- Stealth is a huge gameplay style in the game. But the AI is absolute garbage. They aren't too much of a threat most of the time.
- you have the ability to hack sensors, cameras, turrets, and doors etc. You can even cause distractions. Useful for sneaking.
- Finally you can play as the girl, Julianna, in her mode. You basically invade other players playing in online mode, to grief them and kill them. Kind of like souls invasion. It's ok.

That's about it for now. Lengthy post but there's a lot to this game that we weren't made aware of. This is a simple case of promotional material causing more harm than it should. They should fire the trailer guy, since all they cared about was showing cut up gameplay of stylish kills. Instead they should have shown 10 to 15 mins of straight gameplay so we know what the game was about. Game is fun, with the mixing of guns and abilities during each run.

Forgot my score - I would give this game a 8.5/10 for trying something new. Rogue lites aren't new, but the concept of the game, and the execution is great. I love the dishonored games. They took that system and added guns to it. with a rogue lite system. For me I might be biased because I love these genres. The only negatives I can say are the beginning which is a bit slow to introduce the full range of guns and powers, but once you get going, you're off! Also as mentioned before, AI is absolutely idiotic. Loses a whole point there.

Ray tracing mode gameplay:

Performance mode 60FPS gameplay:

Framerate Analysis:

Last edited:
Sacrificing 60 fps for raytracing...

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

rubhen925

- 1 hour into the story you will gain access to powers. Similar to dishonored. Push, blink (teleport forward), etc. You can lose these powers as well if you die or reset the day.

Serious The Four GIF by Diddy
you got to kill them bosses again and infuse before you lose them lmao

Kuranghi

IQ is fantastic but lack of motion blur is a bit mad when it has some pretty bad temporal AA/reconstuction trails at parts, it would be better to blur those out of existence and create a better impression of dynamic motion.

In a film you'd maybe shoot some super fast action scenes with a high shutter speed (or other methods to create clearer motion) but not every moment, I don't think you need to see every frame like its stop motion in a non-competitive game.

I'm thinking the 60 and 60 performance modes were what they were playing internally, which makes sense since its an FPS at heart.

elliot5

So it’s a rogue like ?
not really because you keep your gear and abilities (more or less) and there's not randomization like in rogueli(t/k)e games. There's just a time loop and you're reusing your clues to get closer to the end goal. IGN compared it to Dark Souls in the sense that you die or repeat sections to learn more and reclaim your residuum ("souls") from your corpse, but Dark Souls isn't a rogue like at all. It's mostly just a time loop existing.

rubhen925

not really because you keep your gear and abilities (more or less) and there's not randomization like in rogueli(t/k)e games. There's just a time loop and you're reusing your clues to get closer to the end goal. IGN compared it to Dark Souls in the sense that you die or repeat sections to learn more and reclaim your residuum ("souls") from your corpse, but Dark Souls isn't a rogue like at all. It's mostly just a time loop existing.
You've still got to go through the motions every single time the day resets or if you die. From the beginning. I don't think a death in Dark souls results in you losing you stuff and sent back to the beginning.

elliot5

You've still got to go through the motions every single time the day resets or if you die. From the beginning. I don't think a death in Dark souls results in you losing you stuff and sent back to the beginning.
yeah it has some elements but I wouldn't consider it as a whole a roguelike akin to Hades or Returnal. Way more focus on exploration and the "puzzle" than repetition and harnessing your skills to advance

Arun1910

27.98 GB is pretty small.

Just goes to show going forward how the PS5 SSD won't be as small as people think due to games properly utilizing the compression techniques as the lifecycle goes on.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Its not bad looking, but its not good looking either... its like the entire game is trying to be chicken and rice with mushroom sauce, the blandest thing imaginable.

It is a game to keep an eye on though, if we used the full review score of 1-10 it would be the ultimate 5. So whatever the average review score of this we know that's what the new 5 point for video games reviews going forward.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Just goes to show going forward how the PS5 SSD won't be as small as people think due to games properly utilizing the compression techniques as the lifecycle goes on.
Whats the size on PC?

EDIT: It's 30 on PC.

Last edited:

saintjules

yeah it has some elements but I wouldn't consider it as a whole a roguelike akin to Hades or Returnal. Way more focus on exploration and the "puzzle" than repetition and harnessing your skills to advance

Tell it to those in the back

elliot5

saintjules

Agreed. I'll count it as truly successful when COD games get that low.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sacrificing 60 fps for raytracing...

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Yea I'm not enamored with it, even in games on PC with great GPU's and games with solid implementations. It's nice but really not worth the sacrifices in many games. Rift Apart looks great at 30 fps, most other games however, ehhhh.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Never mind the painful 30fps, what's up with the tiny FOV. It looks silly and outdated, kinda like a tube with a camera inside

Top Bottom