• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEATHLOOP Review Thread

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’ll sound like a broken record here but I would absolutely play this if it was on Gamepass. I generally don’t like first person shooters but I think the concept is really interesting and a 10 is a 10. I just don’t want to pay full price for a game I might not like. I could try finding it cheap on PC I guess. Or I could wait. Decisions.
100%. If only there was an actual refund system so you don’t risk throwing money to the wind on top of wasting your time.

Handel

I’ll sound like a broken record here but I would absolutely play this if it was on Gamepass. I generally don’t like first person shooters but I think the concept is really interesting and a 10 is a 10. I just don’t want to pay full price for a game I might not like. I could try finding it cheap on PC I guess. Or I could wait. Decisions.
Yeah GamePass has become the primary replacement for demos in this day and age, used to be commonplace to have demos to try it before you buy it now you have to fork over the big dough to dip into something new.

Fredrik

Yeah GamePass has become the primary replacement for demos in this day and age, used to be commonplace to have demos to try it before you buy it now you have to fork over the big dough to dip into something new.
Yeah I remember the Xbox Live Arcade days, everything had a trial and I bought so many 7/10 games there after seeing that they fit my taste. Why have they stopped doing that?
Today I barely even buy 9/10 games since I’ve stepped into so many traps. I bought FF7RI on PS5 recently, great scores so what could go wrong? Absolutely hate the game. I’m literally rage playing it just because I bought it at full price, feels like a janky third person slasher from a B studio. 😕

Calverz

Yeah I remember the Xbox Live Arcade days, everything had a trial and I bought so many 7/10 games there after seeing that they fit my taste. Why have they stopped doing that?
Today I barely even buy 9/10 games since I’ve stepped into so many traps. I bought FF7RI on PS5 recently, great scores so what could go wrong? Absolutely hate the game. I’m literally rage playing it just because I bought it at full price, feels like a janky third person slasher from a B studio. 😕
Same. I got ff7ri and returnal at £70. Never again.

The game looks cool and very interesting, but I’m having a hard time believing it’s a perfect10 based on what I’m hearing and seeing. I’ll try it out soon enough, but I’m kind of getting a MGS5 vibe from this which also received perfect 10’s as well.

Vae_Victis

Banned
The user reviews on Steam are pretty bad, it's sitting at 63% positive.

Looks like it runs very poorly regardless of your specs. Hundreds of people complaining about constant stuttering.

GymWolf

Does this game have haptic feedback and other features? After playing Returnal, I would have still paid $70 for it even if it was on GamePass. To me, the haptics in that game is enough to warrant that by itself.
Yes, the game utilize both haptics and triggers.

LydMRMg.png

Love that 60's dialogue!

I love Arkane past games but this is a below 30$ sale for me, rougelike after the magnificent open ended level design of Dishonored 1&2 and Prey is just a big no no for me.

I think Gmanlives (someone i disagree with often) review is the best I've seen although he doesn't touch on the story/writing aspects, it's a game for those who thought the moral dilemmas of using powers to kill in Dishonored and Prey was too restricting.

balt1kr1s

I have already played this game for total of 16 hours and agree fully on high review scores and want to add two things from myself:

- Level design is still amazing as expected but it works different way due to nature of rogue like, you need to know that each of the 4 maps have their 4 different versions, depending on the part of the day, general structure - buildings are in the same place, but enemies positioning, events, availalable areas etc are different, they are also dependant on each other - its such a cool feeling when you unlock all the extra stuff step by step.
- Enemies AI is dependand on the type of enemy. If you fight one of the 8 visionaires or Julianna their AI is incredible, I had situation where was invaded by another player as Julianna and fought her while visionaire helped her and really had a problem to recognize which one of them is an actual human player - in the end NPC was better at killing me than the real human lol
Most of random guys are potrayed as drunk/drugged always partying rich bastards and their usage of weapons is laughable, when they see you they shout something like "he is here! should I hide?" lol complete amateurs with dead brains- hence the stupid AI

Last edited:

MHubert

Well we dont know how Microsofts and zenimaxs payroll systems are set up, but Arkane lyon has still had expenses since the ms acquisition and the money is Microsofts regardless of which account its coming from.
If the budget was allocated at the start of development its not all allocated in one go, and as soon as ms aquired zenimax those allocated assets became Microsofts.
It doesn't matter. The point is that Deathloop was planned, developed and funded before MS had any involvement whatoever. The game we have now would be here regardless of MS, so.. why is it so important to you who owns what?

MaKTaiL

People using Cyberpunk as an example on why reviewers are wrong are completely misguided. Cyberpunk was praised as the best game ever made months before it even came out. CDPR were treated as Gods. By the time it released reviewers were handed the PC version to evaluate (for obvious reasons) and most were completely afraid to speak out the flaws because they thought everyone else would give it a high score and they would be targeted by the community if they gave it a bad one.

Deathloop on the other hand was not hyped at all, quite the opposite. Most people were already declaring the game a failure just because of the excessive marketing strategy or because of its rogue-like structure. Reviewers did not have any obligations to give it a good review score at all (in fact giving it a bad one would probably reafirm what the community already thought about the game which would probably help boost site clicks). So the fact that Deathloop received such high scores means the game is at least really fun to play and hit a good enough mark on reviewers. I've been playing an early copy for the last few days and I can concur. The game is like Hitman + Dishonored, both games I really love, and the story is quite intriguing.

TLDR.: Deathloop review scores are nothing like Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It doesn't matter. The point is that Deathloop was planned, developed and funded before MS had any involvement whatoever. The game we have now would be here regardless of MS, so.. why is it so important to you who owns what?
I dont care who owns what, but somone said ms have not funded any of deathloop and im just saying technically they have regardless of weather the game would of be done without them.
I was just correcting somone, i dont know why anyone would take issue with this.

thatJohann

I just played for about 30 min. I gotta say it's already engaging. And it looks GORGEOUS on PS5. I'm using performance mode and it's silky smooth with fast load times. Feels like a native PS5 game. Oh and the dual sense implementation is probably the best after Astro. You can feel the walking, running, and love when Julianna comes in thru the Dual Sense speaker like a walkie talkie. It feels very next-gen! Color me surprised. Can't wait to dive in later.

Caio

Holy fooking crap 100/100 from IGN :D

"MASTERPIECE"
"Despite its seemingly endless complexities, Deathloop is one of the most confidently designed games I’ve ever played. Arkane Studios has crafted a world made of ideas linked by meaningful connections; time influences space, space influences tactics, and tactics influence loadouts. Its unique, high-concept ideas around time loops and non-linear investigation work are implemented with elegance, making its systems feel effortless to navigate, learn from, and ultimately master. A new high watermark for Arkane and developers of similar games to aspire to, Deathloop is a game like no other."
Deathloop Review - IGN

Shmunter

Jokes aside some people really think series from Bethesda and others teams from Zenimax will sell the same without the Playstation ecosystem. They are in for a rude awakening.
Sales will go off a cliff. No shortage of people happy to wait for free gamepass version on Xbox. If gamepass subs don’t conversely go to the moon, strategy will need to adapt.

jakinov

An offline mode just used to be common sense.
Sure10 years ago when online based games weren't prevalent and most people didn't have wifi routers so couldn't reliably get an Internet connection. It was common sense not to release a game if you wanted to make money.

John Wick

People using Cyberpunk as an example on why reviewers are wrong are completely misguided. Cyberpunk was praised as the best game ever made months before it even came out. CDPR were treated as Gods. By the time it released reviewers were handed the PC version to evaluate (for obvious reasons) and most were completely afraid to speak out the flaws because they thought everyone else would give it a high score and they would be targeted by the community if they gave it a bad one.

Deathloop on the other hand was not hyped at all, quite the opposite. Most people were already declaring the game a failure just because of the excessive marketing strategy or because of its rogue-like structure. Reviewers did not have any obligations to give it a good review score at all (in fact giving it a bad one would probably reafirm what the community already thought about the game which would probably help boost site clicks). So the fact that Deathloop received such high scores means the game is at least really fun to play and hit a good enough mark on reviewers. I've been playing an early copy for the last few days and I can concur. The game is like Hitman + Dishonored, both games I really love, and the story is quite intriguing.

TLDR.: Deathloop review scores are nothing like Cyberpunk.
Well said. I can't believe the hate this game gets for no apparent reason other than it's made by a MS owned studio. Whenever Sony showcased it, it was shat on but it's proven the naysayers wrong.
Leading to people doubting review scores......

drotahorror

Well said. I can't believe the hate this game gets for no apparent reason other than it's made by a MS owned studio. Whenever Sony showcased it, it was shat on but it's proven the naysayers wrong.
Leading to people doubting review scores......

I can't speak for anyone but myself. When the game was first revealed at some Sony conference ages ago, I was interested. I love Arkane, Dishonored and PREY are 2 of my favorite games ever made. In fact, I just installed Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider to play them some more, today. The more I saw of Deathloop, the more I saw the similarities to what I've already played for almost a decade (2012, Dishonored). I enjoy roguelike/lites but the videos never explained much more than, "you die, you try again". No mention of modifiers to each run that can change the way the game plays out, different builds, loadouts, etc. Granted I probably haven't seen every single marketing video there is. Even still, from checking video reviews out, it looks like a more action oriented Dishonored. And that's great, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Unfortunately nothing I've seen convinced me to buy this day 1 or pre-order, and I always do that with games I'm excited about. I hope Deathloop is as good as critics say, I will definitely own it in the near future.

I don't understand why MS would even be mentioned. I own several MS games, through the Windows store. I've even rebought a couple on Steam. I would think most people just want to play good games. Deathloop looks solid to me, doesn't look better than Dishonored or PREY to me. Maybe these critics just really enjoyed it and that's great for them. Hope I feel the same when I buy it.

Enjoying the game a lot but the 10/10 scores are pretty absurd lol

maybe I just have a different definition of a 10 but it really needs to be GOTY quality and I’m not seeing that from this game…but I could change my mind, still early. I hear it’s better once grasp the loop

its a solid 8.0, agree largely with easy allies on this.

GymWolf

This game is fun as fuck….it’s like an extremely refined dishonoured with some dark souls like tweaks…without all the annoying shit
What do you mean with extremely refined? Do you mean movements\controls\combat?!

I know i stan for the game but for example, having only 2 powers at time instead of having all of them always available like dish is kinda of a big step back, maybe it is like that to not make the game a complete cakewalk, but you are far more limited now.

It's probably the thing i hate most about the whole game, i mean imagine not equipping the traversal abilities because you need a stealth ability...sometimes stealth and traversal are strictly related...

I still have to start the game so i hope they let you equip all the traversal abilities and you are only limited with the other type of powers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom