• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death's Door |OT|

maxresdefault.jpg

Reaping souls of the dead and punching a clock might get monotonous but it's honest work for a Crow. The job gets lively when your assigned soul is stolen and you must track down a desperate thief to a realm untouched by death - where creatures grow far past their expiry.

• Talon Sharp Combat: Utilize melee weapons, arrows and magic to overcome a fantastic array of beasts and demigods. Mistakes are punished and victory is rewarded. Gain an edge by customizing your character stats and mastering the abilities and upgrades you obtain.
  • A Beautifully Bleak World: Venture beyond the Doors and explore a land full of twisted inhabitants and countless secrets, bringing hope to the weird and wonderful characters you’ll meet along the way.
  • A Dark Mystery to Unravel: Track down and defeat colossal tyrants with stories and motivations of their own. Experience a somber yet darkly comedic tale, uncovering the truths behind the flow of souls, the role of the Crows and the origin of the Doors.

Developer: Acid Nerve
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Xbox Series X and Series S, Xbox One
Genres: Role-playing video game, Indie game, Shooter game, Action-adventure game, Fighting game

Purchase links, 15% off if preordered for $16.99:

Shout out to Acid Nerve and Devolver for what's looking like an amazing time. I'll paste some reviews here once they start to roll in as well. My first time creating a launch thread for a game, i'm excited for this one lol - but if i'm missing anything lemme know :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNLURQZAd-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKnl-84f0EQ

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ohh didnt know it was so soon, really excited for this one, boss battles looked really fun and inventive animation-wise. I didnt know it was that cheap, that makes me more excited since this implies to me that its not 30 hours long as well, which I dont need right now.

Kuranghi

Already bought along with The Ascent :)

I was all in one Ascent art-style, graphics and tone wise but after the previews I've decided to wait for reviews because I'm not sure the gameplay has picked a path, it seems to be straddling the line between an Diablo-like and an ARPG and not sure if that will pan out to be great in either regard.

anthony2690

Banned
Can I switch my region to New Zealand and play now? Or is this one of them annoying games with a set time for each region worldwide?

reksveks

Don't know if it's worth creating another thread but thoughts on the review embargo being the same day as release.

Typically this is a bit of worrying sign as they don't want bad reviews to kill pre-orders but I am not sure if this is the case here. We know that initial previews were positive and the reviewers got the codes a while ago (at least a week). Maybe they are hoping that a bunch of positive reviews on release day will lead to better results than a couple of days before especially as the price is quite low in my opinion. I don't know if I am rationalising this strategy or not.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
qmBFlsJ.jpg

Price: $20 USD ($17 Pre-order discount)
Developer: Acidnerve
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Platforms: PC (Steam), Xbox
Genre: Action, RPG, Adventure

🔴 ABOUT​

Reaping souls of the dead and punching a clock might get monotonous but it's honest work for a Crow. The job gets lively when your assigned soul is stolen and you must track down a desperate thief to a realm untouched by death - where creatures grow far past their expiry and overflow with greed and power.
  • Talon Sharp Combat: Utilize melee weapons, arrows and magic to overcome a fantastic array of beasts and demigods. Mistakes are punished and victory is rewarded. Gain an edge by customizing your character stats and mastering the abilities and upgrades you obtain.
  • A Beautifully Bleak World: Venture beyond the Doors and explore a land full of twisted inhabitants and countless secrets, bringing hope to the weird and wonderful characters you’ll meet along the way.
  • A Dark Mystery to Unravel: Track down and defeat colossal tyrants with stories and motivations of their own. Experience a somber yet darkly comedic tale, uncovering the truths behind the flow of souls, the role of the Crows and the origin of the Doors.

🔴 REVIEWS​

🔴 TRAILER​

🔴 SCREENSHOTS​

67322a54-3219-41e0-9ce2-12975e22f375.jpg
8ae174c0-a3e0-428c-8c4d-af83b0e32796.jpg
2291eb21-44a2-4ae9-8b95-f4c504b4174a.jpg

🔴 SOCIALS​

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I convinced my flatmate to buy it so I can just play via library sharing but it won't show up in my library even though he got it hours ago, karmic response to my cheapness!

Someone told me this runs like a dream as well, locked 4K60 on a 2070, which you'd hope it would given the simpler visuals but its not a given with small games imo, I think they often don't optimise for 4K simply because they dont have a 4K display.

I'm actually wondering if 1440p120 might be better for this, not sure it requires perfect reaction times though so maybe not necessary.

Anyone know if its got good TAA/AA to remove most of the aliasing?

Anyway, it looks sweet, can't wait to try it.

MiguelItUp

I was pleasantly surprised to realize that this was dropping a LOT sooner than later. This was one of the few games I saw during E3 that I was genuinely interested in. So pleased to see such positive reviews. Will definitely check out.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game is lovely. Beautiful art, controls well, has a very charming atmosphere and a nice sense of exploration. The difficulty so far is that sweet spot where you can basically zone out and go with the flow. In a good way, for sure.

Combat is serviceable but nothing mindblowing.

Great game.

Top Bottom