• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Decisive Games - MS Studio working on beloved strategy game series for Windows/Xbox

Anion

I've had so many good times with Halo Wars with my friends. I would love to get Halo Wars 2 and some of those epic times back.

Forza Horizon 3 and State of Decay 2 are strong possibilities as well.
I would like to see a 3 year Forza Cycle tbh. 2 years for Forza Motorsport is actually not long enough imo. Might sound odd, but I would rather that they mix it up a bit.

Amir0x

Banned
"Everything is a microtransaction"

Wow...

Not seen it before but that summarises why I will be trading my ipad for a windows 8 tablet this year. Having access to my steam library on a tablet is far better than being tied in to the IOS platform.

See people always try to make these concerns seem unjustified, but people express skepticism for a reason.

The Xbox and PC mention is... interesting. It could be that they're planning another Halo Wars style game (that is, optimized for the game pad), either in the form of another Halo Wars or by adapting Rise of Nations or Age of Empires. If that's the route they're going, my money's on one of the latter 2 options. Any new Halo Wars would probably be handled through 343, as my understanding goes.

Or, it could be that they're going to implement MKB support for the 'Bone, and put out a more traditional RTS. Which would be equally, if not more amazing.

Hell with it. I'm just happy knowing MS is back in the strategy games business!

Interesting. Together with the Skybox Labs game the other day, Microsoft really must be serious about bringing RTS games back to consoles. Although I suppose Skybox might be working on a different genre, they've done all sorts of work for Microsoft.

Com_Raven

I (being the Marcel part in the OP) should also point out that they have been hiring for this studio for a while already. I remember seeing a position last summer, prior to Gamescom and PAX Prime.

Who knows, maybe we will hear something at the Windows 10 event, when they want to talk PC gaming- fingers crossed! In any case, a proper PC Age of Empires would be absolutely amazing news :)

Forza Horizon 3 and State of Decay 2 are strong possibilities as well.

State of Decay MMO more like. I really hope that plan has changed though, but I suspect it hasn't...

And enough with Horizon. Give us a new PGR or similar game using the Forza franchise if they are afraid of rebooting PGR.. Forza: Gotham City Racing. Arcade racer inspired by Gotham City from Tim Burton's Batman. Gothic buildings, subdued lighting, the works.

Although I'd quite like a fully fledged Rally racer after playing Storm Island.

State of Decay MMO more like. I really hope that plan has changed though, but I suspect it hasn't...

If I'm not imagining it, I believe they said they plan to both continue their work on the MMO and make another offline entry.

And enough with Horizon.

Father, please forgive this man for he has no idea what he's saying.

Give us a new PGR or similar game using the Forza franchise if they are afraid of rebooting PGR.

Father, please bless this man, he's spreading Your gospel.

Forza: Gotham City Racing. Arcade racer inspired by Gotham City from Tim Burton's Batman. Gothic buildings, subdued lighting, the works.

You know what, Father, I've changed my mind, just strike him dead with Your divine lightning, my stomach is turning.

Eh, all right, let's give him a few more years on this earth.

amardilo

A new Halo Wars or Age of Empires game would be really good. Didn't MS recently get the rights to the Rise of Nations IP? Maybe it is something to do with that.

MS have opened a lot of studios over the last few years but I don't think I've seen anything from them (such as Lift London, LXP, Platform Next, Np Studios, SOTA Studios and (FUN)ction Studios). A lot of them seem like small studios but I wonder if some are working on big budget (AAA style) Xbox One games and if we will see anything from them at E3.

Scanna

2016 would already look pretty good if that's the case

Gears 4
Crackdown 3
Scalebound
Phantom Dust

Halo Wars 2
Maybe one of Rare's projects or the Lionhead new IP
No chance one of these two make it to 2015? Phantom Dust is sort of a remake, right?

In topic, I just don't believe it's Halo Wars 2 they're referencing. HW is coming, but it's not a beloved strategy franchise, it just had an installment

Human_me

aoe3.jpg

Still waiting.

Though I'd absolutely love a new (and a PC port) Halo Wars.

dude

dude
I really do hope the console version is a port and not the other way around.
My heart will break at a console-centric AoE :\

*I mean, no offense to console-gamers, but AoE2 was one of my favorite games growing up.

If I'm not imagining it, I believe they said they plan to both continue their work on the MMO and make another offline entry.

Father, please forgive this man for he has no idea what he's saying.

Father, please bless this man, he's spreading Your gospel.

You know what, Father, I've changed my mind, just strike him dead with Your divine lightning, my stomach is turning.

Eh, all right, let's give him a few more years on this earth.

Come on, just imagine a racer with the same artstyle as Burton's Batman. Would be incredible.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
No chance one of these two make it to 2015? Phantom Dust is sort of a remake, right?

In topic, I just don't believe it's Halo Wars 2 they're referencing. HW is coming, but it's not a beloved strategy franchise, it just had an installment

Don't hold your breath. Scalebound had only a CG trailer and Platinum just released two games. Phantom Dust had only a CG trailer and as far as I know that's all we know.

Also, I'd love a new strategy game from Microsoft.

Vaporak

Not really seeing what this game is being made for. The market for strategy games on the Xbox is tiny, and MS have trashed their reputation on the PC. I can't really see an Age of Empires designed for a gamepad as Microsofts peace offering towards the platform going well.

Ushay

It's probably Rise of Nations, but I'll take Age of Empires too! Shit I'm getting excited about strategy again :)

I think Phantom Dust won't make it, Spencer mentioned the game recently when asked about the Xbox One lineup beyond 2015. Scalebound might make it (apparently it's coming along better than expected), but more surprisingly I believe Spencer also mentioned Crackdown in the context of games that might be available this year.

Come on, just imagine a racer with the same artstyle as Burton's Batman. Would be incredible.

I could imagine and probably like that (Burton's Batman films are still my favorites), but I'd want PGR specifically to remain a real cities racer. I'd love a game that would let you race through environments from Xbox franchises, be it a cart racer or something more serious (like that concept Bizarre have been toying with after Blur), just not as a replacement for a proper PGR release.

Scanna

I think Phantom Dust won't make it, Spencer mentioned the game recently when asked about the Xbox One lineup beyond 2015. Scalebound might make it, but more surprisingly I believe Spencer also mentioned Crackdown in the context of games that might be available this year.
That'd be swell

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Not really seeing what this game is being made for. The market for strategy games on the Xbox is tiny, and MS have trashed their reputation on the PC. I can't really see an Age of Empires designed for a gamepad as Microsofts peace offering towards the platform going well.

PC gamers will still buy Microsoft games as long as they're handled properly, as Age of Empires II HD has shown.

All Microsoft has to do is create a proper PC RTS and keep all of the console gimping exclusive to the Xbox version.

Like I said in the Rare thread, they want to hit that nostalgia nerve to get to the hardcore. Something like Age of Empires makes the most sense.

I (being the Marcel part in the OP) should also point out that they have been hiring for this studio for a while already. I remember seeing a position last summer, prior to Gamescom and PAX Prime.

Who knows, maybe we will hear something at the Windows 10 event, when they want to talk PC gaming- fingers crossed! In any case, a proper PC Age of Empires would be absolutely amazing news :)

Thanks for sharing :). I was wondering who Marcel was when I referenced Steve's posting, but wanted to include.

Phantom Dust had only a CG trailer and as far as I know that's all we know.

I think Phantom Dust won't make it, Spencer mentioned the game recently when asked about the Xbox One lineup beyond 2015.

Ken Lobb was recently on a podcast talking about Phantom Dust. Not sure what to expect, but it airs tomorrow at 7PM EST, so maybe he at least tells us the devloper and a general release date :p

https://twitter.com/TiC_Podcast/status/553367579772088320

Here's hoping for a true sequel to Rise of Nations - I really loved the original, and really hated how they gimped the gathering/building parts in Rise of Legends.

Steel

Banned
If it's Halo Wars 2 I'll be disappointed. It was such a simplistic RTS....

But I really can't see it being Age of Empires when they're also releasing it on the xbox. So prepare for Halo Wars 2 while they continue trying to sell the halo brand everywhere...

And enough with Horizon. Give us a new PGR or similar game using the Forza franchise if they are afraid of rebooting PGR.. Forza: Gotham City Racing. Arcade racer inspired by Gotham City from Tim Burton's Batman. Gothic buildings, subdued lighting, the works.

I think its a impossibly big task for Undead Labs to go from single player to MMO. I think the plan has definitely changed because it makes sense to go in stages.

Year one Survival Edition soon, co-op sequel (4 player im guessing), perhaps an even bigger co-op/online focused sequel then MMO, although whether they actually do a full MMO I have no idea.

Their deal was for a multi-year multi-title with Microsoft, I assume they werent talking about 2 games and 3 years or whatever, it was clearly a long-term thing.

Forza Rallisport sounds good.

Gears of War: COG Army

RTS

This would be awesome. I'd also like a Spartan Assault style twin stick shooter. And then they should make a tycoon game set at the end of Gears 3 as a City builder for the planet!

THEF3AR

Growing pains. The Xbox division isn't as experienced as the rest. I feel like they are finally heading in the right direction. If ONLY they didn't get stuck with such a shitty box. Next gen will be great for them, I can feel it.

Man, I wish I didn't get stuck reading this shitty post... But here I am.

Top Bottom