• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Rock Galactic |OT| Rock & Stone Brother! (Early Access)

Catphish

The thing about the map/scanner is that, unless what you're looking for is very close to you, you have to zoom out for it to make any sense.

It's actually very useful, once you understand what it will and won't show you.

And as far as co-op making the game too easy, well, that's why you raise the Hazard Level. Have a few runs on 4 (or 5) then come back and tell me how easy it is.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The thing about the map/scanner is that, unless what you're looking for is very close to you, you have to zoom out for it to make any sense.

It's actually very useful, once you understand what it will and won't show you.

And as far as co-op making the game too easy, well, that's why you raise the Hazard Level. Have a few runs on 4 (or 5) then come back and tell me how easy it is.
This man knows. Once you start playing Hazard 4 and up things can get dicey literally the instant you get out of the pod. It happened to me once that when the pod door opened about 10 of those grabber flies stormed in, picked us all up and threw us down a pit :D :D It was the scariest and most hilarious start to a mission I have ever had.

Catphish

Spent almost the whole damn day playing this and wish I could do it again tomorrow.

Send help. 😄

Last edited:
PC Gamer's review

Score: 79 out of 100

A clear and distinct spin on 4-player co-op FPS with atmosphere, ingenuity… and real navigational problems.

But without watching and, most importantly, learning from better players, it's not the same game. There's little antidote to the frustration of getting lost and it takes longer to figure out what you should actually be doing as each class. It becomes a game about spending resources and trying to max out upgrade trees—honestly, you should see the one for the pickaxe—instead of the intrinsic enjoyment of mastering a hostile cave network.

Solo or with fellow humans, Deep Rock Galactic is as much a game about learning the hard way and reaping the rewards as it is about dislodging alien terra firma. As such, it's in danger of having many players simply bounce off it, but the hardcore who remain are rewarded with Mariana's Trench levels of depth.

TheMan

PC Gamer's review

Score: 79 out of 100

I didn't spend a ton of time with it (refunded after 90 minutes to avoid having to keep it) but yeah this describes how I felt about it pretty well. Easily got separated from my team and then got lost. In the end I didn't have a ton of fun it. I think coop with randos is easier when cooperation doesn't need to be coordinated on a deep level.

mcz117chief

I thought the game was extremely basic and easy to grasp. I remember one of my first ever games was Hazard 4 and they even did black box challenge and I contributed just as much as anybody else. It is simple really, mine rocks, shoot aliens, that's it. The upgrades are very simple like a bit of extra damage, bigger magazine, nothing too ridiculous so I have no idea wtf they are talking about "upgrade trees", unless something changed recently there are no upgrade trees really.

picked this up during the Steam summer sale along with a bunch of other games. ended up playing this only non-stop. a really fun and enjoyable game and I've been playing it everyday for the last week. promoted both my engi and my gunner already and working on the next promotion. definitely recommending it.

Last edited:
Holy fuck been playing this with my brother and nephew as it's on Game Pass and cross play (bro has an Xbox, me and nephew have PCs), and it's just the best fucking time. It's so fun. This is my game of the year so far.

And this OT only has 2 pages. This is a fucking criminally overlooked game. Hopefully it being on Game Pass and being cross platform coop will open it up to more people.

Seriously, if you have friends, play this with them. Can't remember a game in which I've had so much of a laugh.

Also it's challenging. We have died a few times now because we've fucked up.

PLAY THIS GAME. WITH FRIENDS.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't worry, it crossed 1 million sales before it got out of early access, gaf doesn't mean shit. I mean, we don't even have a Phasmophobia OT (and a couple spare threads have 1 page each) for example and that's clearly the latest sensation that's doing pretty damn great (tons better than DRG).

Everything else, spot on. Love that they keep adding shit too, big update slated for January (though it was meant to be out already and got a little bit delayed, but they've done a lot more past 1.0 already). It does deserve even more success though, on par with Phasmophobia and Risk of Rain 2!
And yeah, anyone who played it during (very) early access versions should totally just jump back in, it's like it was a super limited, if still cool, demo of what it eventually became as a full game rather than just some polish and extra content on top of what they had established already back then!

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Holy fuck been playing this with my brother and nephew as it's on Game Pass and cross play (bro has an Xbox, me and nephew have PCs), and it's just the best fucking time. It's so fun. This is my game of the year so far.

And this OT only has 2 pages. This is a fucking criminally overlooked game. Hopefully it being on Game Pass and being cross platform coop will open it up to more people.

Seriously, if you have friends, play this with them. Can't remember a game in which I've had so much of a laugh.

Also it's challenging. We have died a few times now because we've fucked up.

PLAY THIS GAME. WITH FRIENDS.

Yeah I'm really wanting to get it, but need others to play with so haven't jumped at it yet.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just played a game with a crazy vertical map (I'm engineer, yay), all 3 teammates make it to drop ship with ease, I get knocked about 50 meters from drop ship...all three teammates rush out to save me...and all three die.

This game is damn good.

G-Bus

Banned
Surprised there isn't more of a community.

Working on an engineer, level 22. Just curious to check out these deep dives and all that other stuff.

Great game.

This game will become my go-to for some co-op fucking around. Its so good. I started playing with a group of buddies and we had no idea what was going on at first but we slowly learned the ropes. Its not that hard to understand IMO.

My only real gripe is that sometimes big ass aliens hardly make any sound and can all the sudden be right behind you fucking you up. Also, I've occasionally run into map layouts that just seem kind of unfair in terms of how difficult they are to escape at the end of the match (pretty rare though, in a couple dozen hours I've maybe run into 2-3 that I think were kinda bogus.)

Top Bottom