• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defense Grid expansion announced: features GLaDOS, releases December 7

Defense Grid: You Monster will be available in five days and will cost five bucks.

Gushing praise. Great tower defense. Greatest tower defense?

8 more levels, tons of new challenges, GLaDOS. Hype.

Trailer: YouTube

Bellevue, WA - December 2, 2011 - Hidden Path Entertainment, an independent developer based in Bellevue WA, announced today that Defense Grid: You Monster , the first full story expansion of the award-winning game, will be available for download from both Steam and Xbox LIVE Arcade on December 7, 2011.

GLaDOS, the menacing AI from Valve’s awesome Portal franchise, guest stars in this new 8-level Defense Grid expansion. Players will battle not only alien hordes, but the deviousness of GLaDOS as she tests the player’s skills and changes all of the rules. In addition to the 8 new maps, Defense Grid: You Monster features 35 challenge missions, many new achievements and over 15 hours of additional game play. Defense Grid: You Monster will be available for $4.99 or 400 Microsoft points and requires the original game to play.

Hidden Path also announced that today the free Community Challenge update to the original Defense Grid game, has been released. This update features improved UI, over 30 new challenge missions and five new game modes, providing dozens of hours of new gameplay for free, whether players purchase the expansion or not!

Defense Grid: You Monster is just the latest chapter to Defense Grid: The Awakening. Joining previous map expansions: Borderlands and Resurgence, You Monster adds new environments and modes of play, requiring new strategies to beat back the aliens and defend humanity. Frequently cited as the best tower defense game available and one of the 25 highest rated games by users on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Defense Grid is for many the definitive tower defense experience.

About Defense Grid:

Defense Grid features beautiful environments, spectacular effects, and a dynamic, engaging soundtrack. The controls are intuitive and the gameplay is deep - the special attacks and properties of each tower work together to provide many ways to succeed. Together with expansions, the game now has 40 unique environments, each with a different placement of roads, tower build locations, and open areas to plan a strategy around.

About Hidden Path Entertainment:

Hidden Path Entertainment is an independent video game development company established to develop and produce interactive entertainment software for current and future generations of video game consoles, as well as other computing platforms. Hidden Path's team is made up of industry veterans who have each contributed to highly successful titles in multiple genres and on multiple platforms. In addition to being hard at work developing new and exciting titles like Defense Grid on its own, Hidden Path is currently working with Valve developing Counter-Strike:Global Offensive. Hidden Path Entertainment can be found online at www.hiddenpath.com.

About Steam:

The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new releases and online services to over 10 million PC users around the world. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com.

About Valve:

Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based in Bellevue, Washington. The company's portfolio of entertainment properties includes Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress and Portal. Valve's catalog of products accounts for over 20 million retail units sold worldwide, and over 80% of PC online action gameplay. In addition, Valve is a developer of leading-edge technologies, such as the Source game engine and Steam, a broadband platform for the delivery and management of digital content. For more information, please visit www.valvesoftware.com.

FatBaby

Is this new content? I swear the trailer that they have looked like the levels we already playing during the whole ARG thing.

Rapstah

Is this new content? I swear the trailer that they have looked like the levels we already playing during the whole ARG thing.

I don't think they ever patched those out, so no...? At least there's no entry in the update history for the game that mentions taking them out, and there's only been one patch since the ARG.

Chavelo

Hold up... New Portal 2 ARG?

HALF-LIFE 3 ARG? PLEASE DO IT VALVE, I BEG YOU /foreveralonewithouthalflife3.jpg

Berordn

It looks like they're based on those levels anyway, but the two from the ARG are still in so there's at least 6 new ones if it's continuing from those.

Chris R

Fuck Yes! I love Defense Grid and have played it way too much, more than I'd like to admit really. It is my favorite tower defense game though.

By hours played/$ ratio, DG was the best $5 I ever spent in my life.

Yep, it's amazing how much time you can sink into that game. I usually don't do the challenge type objectives in most games, but they were a ton of fun and offered a lot of replayability for DG.

Hope these new levels are good -- I wasn't a huge fan of the levels they added for the ARG, but I'll probably buy this expansion anyway for more Defense Grid awesomeness.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hell yes. Time to claim top spots on Friend leader boards on new levels too.
Will buy at Christmas sale.

Wonder if the new challenges are any good.

PaulLFC

Awesome. This must be a new Portal ARG or something. There were at least 2 other games mentioned in the Steam thread that had Portal content added recently. Magicka was one of them, and I can't remember the other one.

Rokal

I just got an email about this. Loved Defense Grid so much that I gifted it to most of my Steam friends list during the last Summer Sale.

Crazy to seem them putting out new story DLC for a 2-3 year old game, but I'll be there with my $5 on day one.

dani_dc

Great to see this game get even more content , really great game, hope people that don't have it buy it when it inevitably goes on sale again at release of this DLC.

Awesome. This must be a new Portal ARG or something. There were at least 2 other games mentioned in the Steam thread that had Portal content added recently. Magicka was one of them, and I can't remember the other one.

That crossed my mind as well, I didn't know they had added more Portal stuff to other games though.

Rawker

So has anyone downloaded this yet? Any fun?

played the first map last night, it didn't seem too hard. the style is that of portal i guess (never played) and looks really dull and boring. i could care less though because it's more defense grid which is all that matters.

Chris R

played the first map last night, it didn't seem too hard. the style is that of portal i guess (never played) and looks really dull and boring. i could care less though because it's more defense grid which is all that matters.

Any idea how large the download is?

Anybody having issues with the 360 version of this?

It crashes my console every time I try to play it since downloading the DLC :/

Top Bottom