• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dell Launches its first 55" OLED monitor $3999 - TERRIBLE

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Today at Gamescom, Dell has officially launched its new flagship OLED gaming monitor, the Alienware 55. First demonstrated back at Computex, the display uses a 4K OLED panel featuring a 120 Hz refresh rate, making it among the fastest 4K monitors available. The Alienware 55 supports AMD’s FreeSync variable refresh rate technology, which is what sets the monitor apart from OLED UHDTVs, yet not in its HDR implementation.

The Alienware 55 is based on a 55-inch OLED panel featuring a 3840x2160 resolution, 400 nits peak brightness, a 130,000:1 contrast ration, a 0.5 ms gray to gray response time, as well as a 120 Hz maximum refresh rate. The screen can reproduce 98.5% of the DCI-P3 color gamut, which is comparable to accuracy of professional LCD displays. The monitor also has an anti-reflective coating with 2H hardness for additional clarity when used in bright days.

As far as Im concerned this thing is a fucking travesty. No HDR support and 400 nits peak brightness is simply unacceptable at this price. This thing should have supported full Freesync (or GSync) HDR.

I was so excited about this, but Dell blew it big time.

This monitor really needed to be a TV with a Displayport.

Get an LG C9, which has HDMI 2.1

SantaC

I once owned a dell monitor. Never again.

2a4e6290e28649d094d9d9b5e576e86e

This dreaded model

Last edited:
After Nvidia announced their support of Freesync on their cards, the BFGD line and this Alienware model were suddenly at a market disadvantage but apparently couldn’t back out. Not a great buy, though I quite like the design (minus the tacky 55 logo on the rear).

I would expect that 2020/2021 TV models are going to position themselves for the imminent console releases and you’ll find much better buys at that point in time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LG has released the B9 which can be had for $1399 for 55"

That is an infinitely better choice.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
After Nvidia announced their support of Freesync on their cards, the BFGD line and this Alienware model were suddenly at a market disadvantage but apparently couldn’t back out. Not a great buy, though I quite like the design (minus the tacky 55 logo on the rear).

I would expect that 2020/2021 TV models are going to position themselves for the imminent console releases and you’ll find much better buys at that point in time.
The LG B9 supports HDMI 2.1 and is being sold for $1399. The wild card is whether nvidia or ATi will support HDMI 2.1 VRR in future GPUs

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
"Much" better for what?

If you're big into HDR then the limited peak HDR brightness of the C9 might be a point of concern.
An LED can have a higher peak brightness, but Nits aren't everything. The perfect contrast afforded by OLED allows lesser measured brightness to appear brighter. I'm not making this up, when people do shootouts comparing OLED to QLED that people often select the OLED due to the contrast giving it a better perceived brightness.

I can't find the exact video, but Vincent from HDTVtest on youtube has done this test many times and OLED almost always wins.

Last edited:
I currently own a dell monitor and it is pretty amazing
Dell makes quality monitors - some would argue one of the best.

This oled monitor has 120Hz also Freesync both features still missing on oled Tv's, but I'm not sure it's worth this crazy price.

editz: I forgotz oled BURN IN buyerz beware !!! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Rbk_3

"Much" better for what?

If you're big into HDR then the limited peak HDR brightness of the C9 might be a point of concern.

I have a KS8000 which tops out at 1800 nits. I needed to use Bias lighting in order to lessen the halo effect in dark scenes and make black truly appear black. I can 100% confirm HDR on my C9 in a dark room is damn near too bright for my eyes to handle. This is not an issue on the LED with Bias lighting. 800 nits on on oled with an inf:1 contrast ratio is drastically better than on an 1800nit LED with a 6900:1 contrast ratio.

In fact I have been having sensitivity to brightness the past few days in my everyday life and I am pretty sure it is because of the C9 I just purchased.

Last edited:
Top Bottom