• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

The_Dama

For people who have a life and don’t have a lot of time to replay the same section over and over again.

It would be great to have an easy setting so I can actually enjoy a Souls game for once.

Ninja Gaiden Black has an easy setting if you died 3 times in a row or something like that. It never took away from the original experience

And please don’t tell me about coop MP. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
No. It does not.

Either you play a game as its developers intend it to be played, or you don't play it. There are thousands of games that may fit your taste and needs better.

I am really bad at Souls games, and I'd certainly benefit from an easy mode, but I laugh my rear off every time someone demands the defining factor of a game to be removed to suit them. Pathetic.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Its funny, you know for a fact that 90% of the people that are hyping demon souls up are never going to play more than 1 hour of it before rage quiting

I very much doubt that. Most of us hyping it have probably played to completion at least one or two From games. Demon’s is the only one I haven’t, so I’m very excited to get my hands on the remake.

No.

If it is anything like ds1-3, it is not difficult.

I chose pure mage without armor in all of them and still they felt pretty easy, so they are not hard games. Unless you are stupid and run around like headless chicken without learning mechanics, of course

Dunno if melee is easier than mages, havent tried thosw

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
For people who have a life and don’t have a lot of time to replay the same section over and over again.

It would be great to have an easy setting so I can actually enjoy a Souls game for once.

Ninja Gaiden Black has an easy setting if you died 3 times in a row or something like that. It never took away from the original experience

Then learn and get gud. ;)

Birdo

Banned
Usually I would agree. But difficulty is the entire gimmick of the game. If you remove it, it's just a boring corridor slasher.

WakeTheWolf

Don't worry, they seem to have had it on easy mode in the showcase lol

There is, it's called summoning or learning the game.

Fake

giphy.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I agree. I played DS1 last year. It was my first Souls game and I adored it. I've been wanting to play DS3 for months now, but the task of finishing another Souls game seems daunting and I'm putting it off. Casual and easy difficulty modes would be a welcome addition.

They wouldn’t be Souls games with difficulty settings. Part of the strength of the gameplay is the setting From have dictated. You change the games completely by making them easier. Again... plenty of games out there, for folks who don’t want the challenge.

Mato

They wouldn’t be Souls games with difficulty settings. Part of the strength of the gameplay is the setting From have dictated. You change the games completely by making them easier. Again... plenty of games out there, for folks who don’t want the challenge.

I'm not here to argue. This thread has nothing to do with players like you. Your preferred difficulty setting would still be present and the default.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

Sucks for you thats the game, go play something else then. That or actually play the game and increase your skills and learn

I picked up Sekiro to play. I sucked at it. Took me days to get past the ogre, and then I failed constantly against the snake. Never made it to the first boss before throwing in the towel.

Did I whine and bitch about it endlessly on forums, etc.? No.

I excepted that I wasn't good at it and I didn't have the patience to get better. Sold my copy and decided to feel happy for those that got more out of it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

No.

If it is anything like ds1-3, it is not difficult.

I chose pure mage without armor in all of them and still they felt pretty easy, so they are not hard games. Unless you are stupid and run around like headless chicken without learning mechanics, of course

Dunno if melee is easier than mages, havent tried thosw
You’ll have no trouble then. Magic is super OP in DeS.
I agree. I played DS1 last year. It was my first Souls game and I adored it. I've been wanting to play DS3 for months now, but the task of finishing another Souls game seems daunting and I'm putting it off. Casual and easy difficulty modes would be a welcome addition.
if it helps. The general consensus is that DS3 is one of the easier ones (dlc not withstanding), it’s the one that finally got me into playing the series more seriously.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Hi,

Creative intent. It’s a powerful argument as well as an excuse used to justify decision made by developers. Creative intent encompasses every conscious decision made by a developer. Difficulty is one of these choices. But so is a commitment to accessibility. Allowing as many people to experience a game is very important. Changing the difficulty is a great way to make a game more accessible for the masses.

That said, difficulty is design. It sometimes IS the experience of the game. Frustration when you loose your life could be the intent of the creator. Making a game too easy would change the experience of the game and might not deliver the experience that the creator wanted to give the gamer.

So yes, accessibility is extremely important if you want your game to be experienced from start to finish by many people. And having a choice of difficulty does not change the experience for people who choose to play the way the creator wants to the game to be played.

However, it’s up to the creator to provide accessibility options. If they choose to not have difficulty options, than that’s fine. It will likely alienate a number of gamers that like an easier experience. It will suck for them. But in the end the creator can and should decide what they want to do. If you don’t like the game because of the decisions made you should let the developer know. Maybe they will change things. But no creator is obligated to listen to anyone.

Cheers.

Vawn

Banned
If the original Demon's Souls had an easy option it would have ruined my favorite franchise of all-time.

I was anxious about hearing the difficulty. When I first started, it hadn't clicked yet and I was doing bad. I even quit the game saying it wasn't for me, not worth the stress, etc.

But, a few weeks later, I went back with a new mindset and did a bit of reading for a few starting tips. It soon clicked and it was probably the best gaming experience I've had since I was a teenager.

If there had been an easy option, I have no doubt I would have used it. I also would have missed the entire point of the experience. The game honestly would have been nothing special if it didn't require the need to be constantly paying close attention to everything going on.

I think From realized this and it is why they have never caved in on their stance against difficulty options. The entire experience hinges on the difficulty- which, honestly, after the short learning curve really isn't that difficult, it just requires you to be fully focused on what you are doing.

Top Bottom