• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

Airola

I have no sword in this fight as I'm objectively terrible at most games hard or easy anyways, but this is an argument that is so bizarre to me...

I mean if a different option is more fun for others (and one that you don't have to use), why is that a bad thing?

It changes the presentation of the game.
That presentation has been very important for the fans of these games since the beginning.
It's an intended design choice to have the game present itself in a certain way.
Choosable easy mode would remove that presentation and change it to something fans wouldn't appreciate and like as much.

Essentially by easy mode you would perhaps get more fans who would like the game for reasons the developers never intended but you would also lessen the game's appeal to those who love the design and the presentation the developers have always made.

The experience of the game begins as soon as the menu screen comes up, or even already when the company logos appear. It's very important for this game to show from the very beginning what it allows. Part of the core design is for these games to present them as something where no player has the option to change the difficulty level when they fail and eventually get back to the menu screen. It's a big part of the design, presentation and philosophy of these games and while it sounds like "just an option" is a small thing, it really isn't. It has always been deliberate design choice and both the developers and the fans love that. There is no need to change that whatsoever. If someone is not interested in that design and presentation, it is not the game for them. It's not as if the developers are in such a dire need for money that they have to remove part of the core design of the game to cater to people who are not interested in what the devs vision is. Why would they change the presentation into something that the devs wouldn't want the game to be instead of keeping the presentation the way the devs and the fans have always enjoyed it?

Presentation is important.

There are many games that are hard but present themselves a something that calls you a pussy or baby or whatever if you choose the easier difficulty (Doom, Ninja Gaiden). The presentation of the Souls games however is that they don't do even that. They just outright refuse to even give the option. They are not interested in calling you names or mocking you for choosing a lower difficulty. For these games that option doesn't even exist. That's how these games are presented. The devs love it, the fans love it. No need to change it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean if a different option is more fun for others (and one that you don't have to use), why is that a bad thing?
FROM don't want to put half-ass difficulty option like other games and even if they do, same people who complaining about the difficulty will once again complain that combat too slow.

Games like Doom are fast paced, even average person who usually not skilled at games can still fun in these games but Souls series combat and movement are slow because they are design around that difficulty.

Heck there are even people who play DMC or Bayonetta on easy or normal difficulty and call the game to "button mashy".

Self

A single option in the main menu that no player ever has to click or even look at ruins an entire games precious presentation.... right.

Let's hear what the creator has to say about that, shall we?

”We don’t want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment. So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player.”

"We want everyone to feel that sense of accomplishment. We want everyone to feel elated and to join that discussion on the same level. We feel if there’s different difficulties, that’s going to segment and fragment the user base. People will have different experiences based on that [differing difficulty level]. This is something we take to heart when we design games."

Look, nobody is asked to agree with their philosophy, but at least respect it. To argue for that vision doesn't make the creator nor it's player base evil.

Last edited:

Duellist

”We don’t want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment. So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player.”

"We want everyone to feel that sense of accomplishment. We want everyone to feel elated and to join that discussion on the same level. We feel if there’s different difficulties, that’s going to segment and fragment the user base. People will have different experiences based on that [differing difficulty level]. This is something we take to heart when we design games."

Look, nobody is asked to agree with their philosophy, but at least respect it. To argue for that vision doesn't make the creator nor it's player base evil.
Winner, close the thread.

Mate no point posting this. We're talking about people which would argue with game creators about their own game xD

There's a risk here that because this is going to be bought by many casuals at launch of a next gen console, devs might be inclined to add an easy option for these folks. I hope they don't bow to the pressure.

MastaKiiLA

Fuck yes. You can grind your way to a soul level and weapon upgrade that can melt through Ornstein &Smough easily, if you really want to.
Cool. It kinda makes my other posts irrelevant then. This is all the game needs. I don't mind grinding to get through an obstacle. Thanks.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Yep. This should be the end of the thread.

Gamers need to stop whining when a developer creates a game to a solid vision, but that vision isn't one they like.

This goes for ALL games.

Azurro

Banned
A single option in the main menu that no player ever has to click or even look at ruins an entire games precious presentation.... right.

The thing is, the entire gameplay of the Soulsborne games is in their combat. You remove the difficulty and you might as well just do a walking simulator, it'd be an incredibly dull game.

RedVIper

Banned
Nobody's babysitting anybody. Some people, themselves, are asking for an easier option, one that fits their capabilities. You are one among many advocating for denying them the chance to have one.

Sekiro already had difficulty options, how do you feel about that?

Ar¢tos

The whole game is built with the intention of having the player constantly overcome challenges, from gameplay mechanics, to enemy placements and attacks, to level design, to bosses. The developer made the difficulty the point of the game and the reason for the game's existence, so the player can fill a rush of adrenaline everytime he overcomes one of the challenges.

That single option would make the game existence pointless.

Go play Blasphemous, it's much harder than Souls but the more you play it the more you realise that it could not be made easier, it would make no sense for the game to be easier. Instead of a very difficult (but fair) game, you would have a boring 3h 2D action platformer.

The whole point and essence of the Souls series is struggling, learning and improving to the point where you can overcome the challenge.

Asking for that challenge to be removed defeats the whole purpose of the game. So play something else and stop trying to force every game to cater to your lack of patience.

It would be like walking into a Burger King, ordering a whopper, and then demanding that they remove the meat, the onions, the bun and the sauce, because you prefer eating a salad. Like why not just go to the salad bar across the street and eat there?

Dav-Kripler

Hi OP, I feel you.. but it's really not that hard. This game especially is pretty straightforward if you take your time and immerse yourself in the world. Also the magic build is technically easy mode. The sense of achievement in Demon's souls would feel pretty "hollow" (sorry) if there was an easy mode tbh.

Trumpeter

Neo Member
- You can choose the Royal class in the beginning. Unless they have nerfed magic in the remake, that was already severly overpowered and put the whole game in journalist mode right from the tutorial

- You can summon other players to beat entire levels for you.

- And more than anything, just like in all Souls games you can take a break if a level or boss feels too difficult. Grind souls, level up, farm healing items etc.

I understand that BandaiNamco used the "prepare to die" tagline and marketing to make beating these games into some badge of honour, but they are really not that difficult. Sekiro is the hardest one to beat since it requires learning timings and having fast reaction times, but that shouln't really be counted among the Souls series like Bloodborne.

There are MANY old and new video games that are much more difficult. Everyone needs to stop whining about this. It even blocks any constructive critique from reaching the developers. If the only thing they hear is "this game is too difficult" they will just think "well, we wanted to make a difficult game, so there must not be anything we can improve on in the future".

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

If rumors are right, we might have a difficulty setting, the "fractured mode" that was rumored to have been removed mid development in the original game.
but it's not what soulflakes want... it seems to be a permadeath mode

Reactions: MrS
I think it's pretty ignorant to demand that any artist should compromise their vision, philosophy, or whatever you want to call it, just to try and appease every demographic.

The great thing about FROM is that they've always made the kinds of games they want. There's a purity to the idea that their games don't bend to outside interference. Even Activision knew not to mess with a good thing when they published Sekiro and just left them to do their own thing.

I guess my point isn't to reject the idea of FROM ever introducing an easy mode, but to preserve their independent integrity which is in short supply these days as games become bigger and more expensive and the need to appease outrage noise becomes too much. I think that's where a lot of the pushback from Souls fans is coming from too. That's my guess anyway.

Albion

I think any game should have an easy difficulty, or even better, cheats codes! ( the good old days ).

Souls games are a special case though I think. Even if a easy mode didn't change the game it wouldn't ''feel'' right for the fans. just look at this thread, how would fans react if the developers announced an easy mode? Not happy, so why upset them? Look I can't play these games, lol, but the developers clearly have a vision of wanting these games to be notoriously hard, and so do the fans, so good on the devs for sticking with it. There are 100 other dungeon and dragon games I can play.

Maybe I was a lot more patient in 2009 but I don't remember it being as hard as some people make out (or I've blocked out the memory as it's too traumatic maybe?).

I definitely didn't get to NG+7 but did go though it 2 or 3 times.

Vawn

Banned

Yup. If the original Demon's Souls had an easy option, I would have used it. I have zero doubt I never would have gotten the point of the games and would not be the die-hard Souls fan I am now.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yup. If the original Demon's Souls had an easy option, I would have used it. I have zero doubt I never would have gotten the point of the games and would not be the die-hard Souls fan I am now.

The only people who keep bringing up this idea that you can ignore an easy mode are people who have never played a Souls game much.

I'd have gone down to easy mode on Ornstein & Smough, Orphan Of Kos, and Isshin Sword Saint on my first run - and pretty bloody sure everybody else would have too.

FranXico

There's a risk here that because this is going to be bought by many casuals at launch of a next gen console, devs might be inclined to add an easy option for these folks. I hope they don't bow to the pressure.
I doubt they will, but it's a remake and if the devs choose to do so, they can add an Easy mode.
It won't detract from the experience of anyone playing normal difficulty. And what if they added an even harder difficulty?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I am beyond puzzled when game developers say they want an easy mode on From Software games, fans I understand but developers? Don't they get the whole idea here? From Software fine-tunes every little morsel from their games based on one difficulty mode, every enemy placement, every encounter. Almost every game under the sun has a half-assed balance when it comes to difficulty modes. (Hard mode being easy apart from one insane boss or normal modes with no challenge).

The whole game is based on making the player feel the tension of the environment and punishing them for not staying alert and focused, there are a billion reasons why they design their games this hard, and it's a breath of fresh air that they don't buy into the bullshit and make easier modes. It's also one of the reasons why people adore From Software and why their games are selling more and more, they won't sell out.

Ar¢tos

The only people who keep bringing up this idea that you can ignore an easy mode are people who have never played a Souls game much.

I'd have gone down to easy mode on Ornstein & Smough, Orphan Of Kos, and Isshin Sword Saint on my first run - and pretty bloody sure everybody else would have too.
Fuck the Orphan! And Ludwig, and Midir!
At lvl 100 they were almost as hard as Manus at lvl 12.
just fuck them, don't make them easier! They made me learn to GIT GUD!

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The gameplay demo looked pretty damn easy to be honest. I hope when I get my hands on it in November that was all for show and they just dumbed it down for reveal purposes.

Psajdak

Banned
Whoever came up with the very idea of Easy difficulty in games is filth, garbage, scum, trash, and everything worst ever.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The gameplay demo looked pretty damn easy to be honest. I hope when I get my hands on it in November that was all for show and they just dumbed it down for reveal purposes.
My guess is for the demo the character was over leveled, its basically same way you go in Chalice dungeon in Bloodborne when you are in high level, you can just kill everything in 1-2 hits.

Cyberwoo

Neo Member
I think this is more of mind set issue rather than a difficulty one,
My 10yr old son who has Laing Distal Myopothy (mainly effects his lower limbs, but does have a mild effect on his hands) loves Dark Souls Remastered, he can beat Smough and Ornstien etc etc likes a challange. We've played through Sekiro together, Yes I've done a majority of the bosses.
Some people just seem to want interactrive movies, which is fine, but not for me.
I think when this sort of thing started to become prevelenat around the PS3 era (Uncharted etc) thats when gaming tunerd me off.
All the platforing is done for you, just push roughly in the right direction and push a button, theres no risk/reward if you dont make the jump.
When I first played Demon Souls back on import on PS3 I felt so fuckin happy, no hand holding, using your reactions and just learning the rules of a unique game world.
Does my head in when people/game journo's whine about stuff being too difficult, because they dont want to learn a games rule set

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Have you not played Demon's Souls? It looks to be a one to one remake. That's the tutorial level. You can't die there until the boss.

I'm surprised this topic is still going on. Also kinda brave of the OP to bring this opinion here, unless it's a troll attempt.

That said, Demon's Souls difficulty is Easy. Would kinda need to add more difficulty in order to make an Easy setting. Could just do what Dark Souls 2 did. An item to burn at the archstone in order to increase the difficulty of the level+bosses.
Play as Royalty and use magic, go to 4-1 and get the Crescent Falchion. That should be a pretty simple Easy setting solution. Bosses are generally ridiculously easy in Demon's Souls. Actually something I'd have loved to see improved.

chikydee

Neo Member
I don't have a problem with it, I think it would bring more people into the franchise which would equate to better DS games in the future.

Top Bottom