• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

Christ the hyperbole in this thread. All for a video game option that one has the option to turn on or off. Some of the brief arguments I've seen:

"git gud"
"postmodernism" (this one was a stretch)
"entitlement"
"It's easy just watch youtube"

Sure I understand they are supposed to be difficult, but having an option to set the difficulty doesn't lessen or ruin someone else's enjoyment of the game. Everyone's experience is in a vacuum with these types of games. All it does is attack the insecurities of those who play these games as if they were some sort of life achievement.

Again, would I play it on easy? Probably not. But others might. So what? It's video game not the gom jabbar test.

I understand that implementing these things take resources so it may not be feasible either. In that case play another game. Also if the developers have a vision of difficulty that doesn't adhere to yours, play another game. But the argument of any of the above in quotes is insipid and devoid of any intelligence.

Video games are made on limited budgets with limited schedules for release, any time spent fine tuning a separate difficulty level is time better spent elsewhere.

borborygmus

Christ the hyperbole in this thread. All for a video game option that one has the option to turn on or off. Some of the brief arguments I've seen:

"git gud"
"entitlement"

Sure I understand they are supposed to be difficult, but having an option to set the difficulty doesn't lessen or ruin someone else's enjoyment of the game. Everyone's experience is in a vacuum with these types of games. All it does is attack the insecurities of those who play these games as if they were some sort of life achievement.

Again, would I play it on easy? Probably not. But others might. So what? It's video game not the gom jabbar test.

I understand that implementing these things take resources so it may not be feasible either. In that case play another game. Also if the developers have a vision of difficulty that doesn't adhere to yours, play another game. But the argument of any of the above in quotes is insipid and devoid of any intelligence.

This word salad essentially concedes every point but pretends not to: you wouldn't play it on easy because it's Demon's Souls, development takes resources, people who can't or shouldn't be catered to should play other games.

Evidence of my claim of postmodernism arose shortly after I made it, with someone claiming everything was relative, not very far off from my characterization of it as "what is anything anyway?" The other thread(s) discussing art style support this notion too. Apparently, Demon's Souls is just a label and may as well be cartoony, colorful, easy, high fantasy, "a completely new experience" (literally not Demon's Souls) or anything else really.

Evidence of entitlement is the intolerance of the mere existence of a game that doesn't compromise itself for some people.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Video games are made on limited budgets with limited schedules for release, any time spent fine tuning a separate difficulty level is time better spent elsewhere.

If you read, you would wrote I mentioned that. In that case, people can play something else.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This word salad essentially concedes every point but pretends not to: you wouldn't play it on easy because it's Demon's Souls, development takes resources, people who can't or shouldn't be catered to should play other games.

Evidence of my claim of postmodernism arose shortly after I made it, with someone claiming everything was relative, not very far off from my characterization of it as "what is anything anyway?"

Maybe I would play it on easy mode. Maybe the story was so interesting that I wanted that but didn't care for the gameplay. Either way, it doesn't matter as I would just play something else if I didn't feel it respected my time.

The point is simple. Play something else if you don't like it, but those other things mentioned in quotations don't constitute valid excuses of not having difficulty options. As for the post modernism, point is taken.

Reyziak

Demon's Souls already has an easy mode. It's called being a mage. Magic is absurdly OP in Demon's Souls, it's why they nerfed magic in literally every game after it.

Alternatively, go with a faith and use a Health regen build(a Blessed weapon, Regenerator's Ring, Adjudicator's Shield, and the Regeneration Miracle), most enemies won't be able to damage you faster than your health regenerates.

Ar¢tos

Demon's Souls already has an easy mode. It's called being a mage. Magic is absurdly OP in Demon's Souls, it's why they nerfed magic in literally every game after it.

Alternatively, go with a faith and use a Health regen build(a Blessed weapon, Regenerator's Ring, Adjudicator's Shield, and the Regeneration Miracle), most enemies won't be able to damage you faster than your health regenerates.
For a newbie I would go full magic instead of hp regen, it's better to kill enemies faster and not give them much chance to kill you.
Royal class, lots of INT
Thief Ring (1-1) + Ring of Magical Sharpness (3-1) (Cling Ring is a crutch!)
Kris Blade (2-1) + Wooden Catalyst (starting gear) + some sword Moon infused
Monk's Head Collar (optional, since it's not easy to get)
Soul Arrow (starting spell) + Soul Ray (3-1)
After doing the first mandatory area all it takes is a visit to 2-1 and a (longer) visit to 3-1 (such fun for the first time!).

tsumake

Soulsborne games are meant to be difficult. That’s an essential element of the experience - as you learn the systems and become proficient the game and its lore open up to you. I am terrible at these games, but I can see that if I invest more time in them they open up and present a unique experience.

Question: I take it a good deal of the difficulty of these games can be overcome through memorization. Is that correct?

laynelane

Soulsborne games are meant to be difficult. That’s an essential element of the experience - as you learn the systems and become proficient the game and its lore open up to you. I am terrible at these games, but I can see that if I invest more time in them they open up and present a unique experience.

Question: I take it a good deal of the difficulty of these games can be overcome through memorization. Is that correct?

Absolutely, memorizing level layouts and bosses is important and occurs organically as you play. Once you know where the traps, ambushes are and the enemy locations/attack patterns, and boss patterns/attacks - it's a matter of developing strategies to overcome them. That's one of the things I really love about these games. It's not about having the fastest reflexes or best timing. You can think your way through the challenges you face.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Absolutely, memorizing level layouts and bosses is important and occurs organically as you play. Once you know where the traps, ambushes are and the enemy locations/attack patterns, and boss patterns/attacks - it's a matter of developing strategies to overcome them. That's one of the things I really love about these games. It's not about having the fastest reflexes or best timing. You can think your way through the challenges you face.

Sounds too hard for the modern attention span.

Today’s gamers would’ve committed Seppuku if they had to grind out in the 80s.

laynelane

Sounds too hard for the modern attention span.

Today’s gamers would’ve committed Seppuku if they had to grind out in the 80s.

There's a few people I met through DS3 on my friends' list. They duped souls and made themselves high-level, but still couldn't get past bosses or levels without help. Though, for them, it was the multi-player aspects of Souls games that interested them and not much else. I've also been questioned on why I would like playing Souls games solo. I don't know if it's a generational thing (they were in their teens) or if I just went and got too damn old. :lollipop_unamused:

borborygmus

This is still going on? The game it's not even that hard, it's more about being patient and persistent. There are seriously harder games out there than this game.

It's so much fun persisting. You go into a part you're having trouble with and try doing things a bit differently. Maybe you have a stroke of genius like I'm going to use firebombs on these guys or maybe you begin to realize that if you take 1 step back the enemy's swing can't even hit you and he's locked into it, or that you can literally roll right into it, or that you can parry it, or that you can just moonwalk around and nobody can hit you, or that you can use a longer range weapon and aggro just a few of the enemies at a time, or that you can use the environment to protect yourself, or that you can run straight through without killing any enemies, or that you can use souls from your inventory to level up instead of having to grind, or that you can change up your equipment and be able to run/roll faster or have more defense...

There are so many options but you have to have a minimum level of genuine interest to at least try them. If you can't even do that, that's on you. It's not even "theorycrafting" or anything demanding like that, literally just try things. It's immediate. Just say "I'm going in wearing this armor this time and I'll block the ranged attacks and roll dodge the melee dudes" and go for it. That's entirely what the game is and it's fantastically fun doing that and making progress each time.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Can we have an easy mode for Super Meat Boy and The Darkest Dungeon too?
I want it because I either want to tell my friends I finished them or because I feel entitled to it because I paid for the games without bothering to do any research about them!
tenor.gif

Airola

I think when this sort of thing started to become prevelenat around the PS3 era (Uncharted etc) thats when gaming tunerd me off.
All the platforing is done for you, just push roughly in the right direction and push a button, theres no risk/reward if you dont make the jump.

There's the meme gif of the old Tomb Raiders where Lara tries to jump around but falls and dies horribly.
I'm still not sure if that gif is supposed to show how bad or awesome those games were.

But for me they are great reminder of how I really appreciate the tough platforming in those games especially when compared to some scene from the new Tomb Raiders where Lara jumps through a seemingly dangerous place but in reality you just keep on pressing forward and the jump button and you get Lara jump through fire and explosions and whatever automatically.

I can't even tell you how much more I like those old "every jump is dangerous" moments compared to the new "press a button and an action set piece happens". At best the danger in those scenes is that you have to press the correct button at the correct moment, basically just a QTE.

borborygmus

If some cant play a game because it's too hard for them then it is an accessibility issue just we much as if its a font, control or colour blind issue.

Gamer skill isnt the same for everyone and that's not even taking into account disabilities and age etc.

You're so compassionate. Those poor souls, having to only buy games that appeal to them. :(

Airola

"git gud"
"entitlement"

It changes the presentation of the game. Presentation matters to the gameplay experience.
People don't want to change that presentation because they wouldn't get that experience anymore.
The devs present the game as something where when you die you won't be shown the possibility of changing things easier. It makes the game to feel certain way, which is proven by everyone who are claiming the game should have options to change the difficulty. Some people are discouraged by not getting to choose the option but that's the presentation of the game. Take that away and it's a different thing.

It is as simple as that. It changes the presentation.
The claim that it does nothing to others, that it is just an option, is false. It seems like "just an option" but it is a carefully chosen design that pays key role in setting up the presentation of the game.

I think this argument should be enough to let these games not have difficulty options.

Airola

There is an difficulty setting in all Soulsborne games that make them easy. It's called not playing them.

Yes. Sometimes the story of a game is "there was a danger in this world, and no-one came to defeat the danger, the end."

It's not as if the game's story needs everyone to try to make a good ending to the story if those people aren't willing to get along with the premise of the story, which in these games is that the dangers that are ahead can't be changed any less dangerous by anyone. Video games are interactive medium. It means that a lot of time the story changes based on the player. Sometimes the story ends with an eternal "game over" and that's ok. Not just ok, but I'd say that's good.

Airola

Sorry for the triple post.

If some cant play a game because it's too hard for them then it is an accessibility issue just we much as if its a font, control or colour blind issue.

Gamer skill isnt the same for everyone and that's not even taking into account disabilities and age etc.

They can play the game. For them the ending of the game is a "game over" (or "You died" in these cases) and that's ok.

I can play Rubik's Cube too even if I can't solve it. Rubik's Cube being really hard and me not being able to solve it because of that hardness isn't the same as it would be me not being able to solve it because I'm color blind.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can we have an easy mode for Super Meat Boy and The Darkest Dungeon too?
I want it because I either want to tell my friends I finished them or because I feel entitled to it because I paid for the games without bothering to do any research about them!
tenor.gif

It‘s fine for those games to be hard because they‘re not massive launch games for a new console.

Entitlement increases in direct proportion to the size of the game’s popolarity.

John2290

What's the point then, might as well play Death Stranding (Fantastic game) on easy and be done with it, you'd get pretty much the same experience. Oh and there is an easy mode, you just have to grind and overlevel to find the point at which you can conquer the game in the same way GTA has a difficulty the lowers the more you fail or REmake 2 and 3. These games aren't exactly DMC on Dante must die or God of war '18 on that one difficulty you shouldn't try for your own sanity or even Sekiro with it's limited leveling mechanics. If ya don't want to play it all vanilla the way they intended, the game isn't for you and that's okay.

Hostile_18

Banned
Why?

Making games more accessible has turned nearly every major game genre into brown open-world third person action RPGs.

Were taking about tailed difficulty options. I've got no problem at all if someone wants to play a challenging game with unlimited lives, ammo or whatever. It just helps support the franchises I love with extra sales.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I’d love to play it. But the lack of a ‘normal human’ mode means I can’t. So I’m with the OP.

Single player game. If the person who bought it wishes to dilute the ‘artistic’ experience let them.

borborygmus

I’d love to play it.

You mean if only its characteristics were changed.

But the lack of a ‘normal human’ mode means I can’t.

This is ridiculous. This is a game where you can literally go AFK in the middle of a dungeon until the end of time and nothing will kill you. You can literally clip through attacks by rolling right into them. You can carry 99 healing items. Every level has multiple permanently unlockable checkpoints.

The difficulty of these games is so overstated it's parodic. Stop being afraid and actually try it. These games have zero time pressure.

But the lack of a ‘normal human’ mode means I can’t.
Single player game. If the person who bought it wishes to dilute the ‘artistic’ experience let them.

"Let them" sounds like anyone actively stopped you. Go ahead and buy it, you can do whatever you want. Just don't expect to be pandered to.

This is seriously farcical, you can always just play something else if you don't want to try it. It's nothing but busybodies unable to tolerate the existence of something that doesn't pander to them.

Do I think less of you for this? Yes, but not because I feel superior to you in terms of skill. I think less of you because your position is just sheer pettiness disguised as victimhood.

These kinds of demands come from an unhealthy, sick place.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Were taking about tailed difficulty options. I've got no problem at all if someone wants to play a challenging game with unlimited lives, ammo or whatever. It just helps support the franchises I love with extra sales.

No, it puts financial motive behind making the game easier and more "accessible". This takes away from development time of more interesting battles etc when they have to tune it for an easy mode.

I’d love to play it. But the lack of a ‘normal human’ mode means I can’t. So I’m with the OP.

Might as well release a version of Tetris where you only get the bars and squares so people like you can get their participation medals to say they played Tetris.

Keihart

It's like asking for a censored versions of a movie, it can get ridiculous depending of the movie. Can you imagine Evil Dead but with no blood so it's more accesible to people that don't want to watch blood?

In a game where diying is a mechanic how can you ask for a version where you don't die as easily? what's even the point?

royox

You wouldn't love to play it. You want the game to change and become another thing just to pander you. If you add an easy mode it stops being the same game so it's not the game you want to play.

Isa

Imagine demanding an artist change his painting or sculpture to be accessible to everyone. It not only dilutes the artist's original intent and vision, it mandates that everyone see the image in one generic predetermined scheme. All in the name of accessibility. Its sad that some people lack the patience to study and view the object(s), and others naturally might never get the gist of it. But that's all part of life.

Would I wail and moan if they added some sort of easy mode for the journalists and masses? No, not really. But I do feel that it would not only tarnish the brand but also potentially that of Bluepoint, as their subsequent games will be measured against the design decisions they've thusly made. One of the reasons I love the series, and in particular Demon's Souls, is that old school game design of trial and error, memorization, and the thrill of finally besting a difficult boss or area. That sheer adrenaline rush is a thing of beauty, a reward in its own right. Not to mention the suddenly expanding world, its lore, and the player's understanding of their place therein.

Hostile_18

Banned
No, it puts financial motive behind making the game easier and more "accessible". This takes away from development time of more interesting battles etc when they have to tune it for an easy mode.

Don't worry a multi million pound budget isnt going to be blown by having a easy mode that modifies a few values. We're not talking about simplifying boss encounters or level design etc. I can imagine the horror on your face if a game dare dropped a hint on where to go on a easy mode for someone struggling 😉.

Have you ever played a game that is worse for having difficulty options? If you have I imagine it's incredibly rare and more a fault of the games development than a problem with the concept itself.

Hostile_18

Banned
"easy mode" would just turn the game into a hack and slash. this is counter to everything the game stands for.

So what honestly. If someone wants to enjoy the game that way let them be. Me and you have our normal or hard modes. Everyone is happy. Achievements are great for recognition of difficulty.

borborygmus

Why is this fucking topic still up in first page?!

All the points are being ignored by those who feel threatened by the existence of something that isn't for them. Entryists and subversives are very persistent, which is ironic, because they can't bring themselves to do the same in Demon's Souls, the game they allegedly want to play.

A feint echo in my mind: Demon's Souls must learn to be multi-cultural.

Last edited:

TheContact

So what honestly. If someone wants to enjoy the game that way let them be. Me and you have our normal or hard modes. Everyone is happy. Achievements are great for recognition of difficulty.

The reason DS is so well liked is because of the difficulty. Sticking easy mode in there wouldn't be good for gamers because it would devalue the experience. Someone playing the "hack and slash" mode would have a vastly different experience than someone playing "regular" or "hard" mode.

Top Bottom