• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Realistically, how long will it take me to get Pure Bladestone?

Cuz I been trying for a couple hours now...
My issue was, I was keep getting pure Bladestone but barely getting any Bladestone Chunk.....man that was a grind but I finally managed to get my Sharp-uchigatana to +5.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My issue was, I was keep getting pure Bladestone but barely getting any Bladestone Chunk.....man that was a grind but I finally managed to get my Sharp-uchigatana to +5.

Thats funny. Bladestone chunk i havent been having too much trouble with. I just do 4-1 and i have the level down to a science for farming purposes. Silver skeletons drop it, not just the black ones.

And of course shards i got like 50 now. Shit nigga.

TexMex

Finally sat down and started this. Put in about 8 hours today. Really loving it. Beautiful, feels fantastic.

So far though I do think I prefer Dark 1/3. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Finally sat down and started this. Put in about 8 hours today. Really loving it. Beautiful, feels fantastic.

So far though I do think I prefer Dark 1/3. Can't quite put my finger on it.
I haven’t played the Remake, but I understand. When I first started Dark 1 I knew pretty quickly that it was what I wanted DeS to be, there’s just something about the way it feels and plays.

TexMex

I haven’t played the Remake, but I understand. When I first started Dark 1 I knew pretty quickly that it was what I wanted DeS to be, there’s just something about the way it feels and plays.

Yeah something about it just feels different. And while I enjoy the levels themselves a lot - I think I'm always going to appreciate the large interconnected world more.

...Don't tell Nintendo GAF im here.

captain-toad-plush-cover1-1024x576.png

Ixion

So is the Crushing Knight Sword +5 the best one-handed strength weapon in the game? I have a strength character, but I'm not a fan of the big, slow two-handed swords.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So is the Crushing Knight Sword +5 the best one-handed strength weapon in the game? I have a strength character, but I'm not a fan of the big, slow two-handed swords.
Most of the STR build weapons are big two-handed weapon, Dex build have smaller and faster weapons like Katana, curved weapons and spears.

Definitely not the thread EviLore EviLore , finally made it to the tomb of the giants. This game is crazy dark in this particular section. With the big ass skeletons along with skeleton spider dogs just frustratingly harder section. Fortunately I have a lantern to be used on the left hand for navigation. Died twice against Nito Boss fight. Perhaps third time is going to be the charm when i log back later.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Definitely not the thread EviLore EviLore , finally made it to the tomb of the giants. This game is crazy dark in this particular section. With the big ass skeletons along with skeleton spider dogs just frustratingly harder section. Fortunately I have a lantern to be used on the left hand for navigation. Died twice against Nito Boss fight. Perhaps third time is going to be the charm when i log back later.
Pretty tough boss fight. Make sure you're not fat rolling on that one. Good luck!

Pretty tough boss fight. Make sure you're not fat rolling on that one. Good luck!

Fortunately the first thing I equipped was this ring(don't remember the name) that greatly improves equip stamina thing and the second ring adds additional equip burden limit with health and stamina bars increasing too. So fortunately not run into fat rolling situation with elite temple knight armor set. But the problem I'm facing in the fight is, once i fall down to trigger the fight. I lose health on the first drop. As I try to drink estus, this nito guy would summon red fiery spikes from the ground. In second attempt, nito literally had 30% health, died because I'd no estus flask to heal. The skeletons whom he summons, I think I end up engaging them and lose track of the main fight at hand.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fortunately the first thing I equipped was this ring(don't remember the name) that greatly improves equip stamina thing and the second ring adds additional equip burden limit with health and stamina bars increasing too. So fortunately not run into fat rolling situation with elite temple knight armor set. But the problem I'm facing in the fight is, once i fall down to trigger the fight. I lose health on the first drop. As I try to drink estus, this nito guy would summon red fiery spikes from the ground. In second attempt, nito literally had 30% health, died because I'd no estus flask to heal. The skeletons whom he summons, I think I end up engaging them and lose track of the main fight at hand.
Kindling the bonfire you're using is always an option too, for 10 flasks.

Kindling the bonfire you're using is always an option too, for 10 flasks.

Ah right, why didn't I think of it. Also I've got a question, when I try to warp out of the closest bonfire to the Nito Fight(the closest bonfire for me is the one right where you've got 3-4 skeleton spider dogs standing. So if I try to warp out of this bonfire to say Annor Londo, there's no way of directly warping back to this bonfire near Nito fight. How do I fix this, how does the warp thing work? What is it I am not doing here, since the warp locations aren't showing up comprehensively.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ah right, why didn't I think of it. Also I've got a question, when I try to warp out of the closest bonfire to the Nito Fight(the closest bonfire for me is the one right where you've got 3-4 skeleton spider dogs standing. So if I try to warp out of this bonfire to say Annor Londo, there's no way of directly warping back to this bonfire near Nito fight. How do I fix this, how does the warp thing work? What is it I am not doing here, since the warp locations aren't showing up comprehensively.
You can't warp to every individual bonfire, just the way the game is designed. The world is so interconnected and filled with clever shortcuts that it doesn't impede you that much, for the most part.

You can't warp to every individual bonfire, just the way the game is designed. The world is so interconnected and filled with clever shortcuts that it doesn't impede you that much, for the most part.

Cos if I warp out to Annor Londo, the only way I think I can make my way back to Nito Boss encounter is start from firelink shrine, go through the catacombs, then through the Fool's Idol type boss area, then through the darkest of dark areas slide downs, then the bonfire, then progress more through spider skeleton dogs until Nito fight.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cos if I warp out to Annor Londo, the only way I think I can make my way back to Nito Boss encounter is start from firelink shrine, go through the catacombs, then through the Fool's Idol type boss area, then through the darkest of dark areas slide downs, then the bonfire, then progress more through spider skeleton dogs until Nito fight.
Probably don't warp to Anor Londo :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Claymore with the cursed spell. You don't need to two hand it like the meat cleaver or the axe, but it's heavier than the straight sword.

You can use the cursed spell with a broken talisman of beast to give your straight sword more damage.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Quick PSA:

Tried the death cloud spell on king Dorian and it definitely let me kill him fast. This is on NG+6 and i didn't do any before or after damage comparisons but my straight sword was doing 450 backstab damage to him after just two death cloud spells. Each slash was doing 120 damage which is pretty good and despite him getting a heal in there, i killed him within a minute. Would definitely recommend getting death cloud.

Mr Hyde

NG +3 right now and I gotta admit, it's getting pretty rough. Even dreglings can basically kill you in two hits. Need a couple of spells for the platinum, gotta rescue Yuria for Soulsucker, which means I gotta push through towards the end of the game. Not really looking forward to Maneater and Flamelurker, they are so damn aggressive on later cycles.

Mr Hyde

Maneater was a tough cookie. I got my ass handed to me several times. Had to resort to summoning a couple of brave warriors who helped me out finally. Maneater hits like a truck now, especially his move when he flies up in the air and then slams down. The narrow walkway is stressful and I got thrown out the arena like I was nothing. Hardest boss in the game on later cycles, no doubt.

Grinchy

Banned
Maneater was a tough cookie. I got my ass handed to me several times. Had to resort to summoning a couple of brave warriors who helped me out finally. Maneater hits like a truck now, especially his move when he flies up in the air and then slams down. The narrow walkway is stressful and I got thrown out the arena like I was nothing. Hardest boss in the game on later cycles, no doubt.
Fighting them with a pure dex build and a dagger was quite frustrating. I could dodge everything and get my hits in, but the first idiot would just get stuck in broken animation patterns where he was stomping around in the sky, never returning to the platform, ect.

And if you used lock-on, which I finally learned not to use after 15+ attempts, you could press dodge in a safe direction, have him lunge at you and cause the camera to zip around, and then the game would interpret your directional input differently and just throw you off the ledge as if you pressed the dodge in that direction. I just did not have fun with the fight.

Mr Hyde

Fighting them with a pure dex build and a dagger was quite frustrating. I could dodge everything and get my hits in, but the first idiot would just get stuck in broken animation patterns where he was stomping around in the sky, never returning to the platform, ect.

This happened to me too. He flew off and stayed in the air doing nothing. I had to shoot him with an arrow in the butt and then he came back. Sigh. It's annoying when it happens right before Maneater 2 shows up, having two of them flying around is a nightmare. Don't know who to keep track of. But I think it's a fun fight overall albeit with very frustrating kinks tied to it, lol.

AlexEdokkoMX

Neo Member
Was there ever a chance that BP was going to release the final arch stone as DLC add on?
I do not know completely the status of Demon's Souls' IP (I think it belongs to Sony), but theoretically there is not any legal restriction to create the final arch stone.

But considering how Bluepoint maintained most of the original From Software's design, I think it is unlikely. Creating 3 new levels with the quality of the original will be incredible hard.

Last edited:
I know I'm very late to this but if you want go back to the bonfire you left dont sit down at a bonefire in arnor londo just use a homeward bone instead. Also by the point you are now at you can take that flask count up to 20.

Temple Knight's Log# 01/15/2021 EviLore EviLore - Dark Sun Gwyndolin and a beautiful looking giant wolf called Sif both down. Now I feel like I am stuck in the game. There's this place by duke's valley that could be traversed through the cursed area(using the curse thing to kill spirits). So I am in this place where this fog door and I traverse the fog door but nothing happens. There's huge spiral stairs leading me to a giant leap of death. I tried jumping but it just says I died. There's no way to get out of the fog door if I enter this, meaning there's some boss fighting waiting to trigger?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That’s not the only area you could be doing, Mr. PlayStation Mr. PlayStation , but yes, that is an area you can traverse, with the giant stairs going down. Do you have any of the little glow rocks you can throw to mark the path? Not everything is as it seems...

That’s not the only area you could be doing, Mr. PlayStation Mr. PlayStation , but yes, that is an area you can traverse, with the giant stairs going down. Do you have any of the little glow rocks you can throw to mark the path? Not everything is as it seems...

I did throw them down, they sounded like I'd dropped one from the highest mountain peak all the way to the bottom. Will try venturing there again. But then here you're saying that's not the only area that I could be going into right now. Hmm, need to think back again!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sharp Uchigatana is finally at +5. From what I could tell:

4-1 black skeleton near the boss room has a 10% chance to drop Bladestone Chunks. Out of 40 tries I got 4 chunks. Providential Ring did not seem to make a difference one way or the other neither did being in Human form vs Soul form. I also got a Pure Bladestone from that one, out of 40 tries, possibly indicating a 2.5% chance but YMMV. Did this on pure black tendency, per recommendations from this thread. (thanks for warning me about the 4-1 1000x folded katana phantom and other nightmares that spawn on pure black, good job). He is the faster way to get Chunks, versus going through all of 4-1.

4-2 black skeleton behind the hidden wall drops Pure Bladestone. He has more health and deals more damage than his 4-1 counterpart. Not sure what the percentage is, but he did eventually drop it. I'd say go for Chunks first in 4-1, and if all you need is the Pure, then start farming 4-2.

Question: does the CHARACTER tendency change in small spurts like the WORLD tendency? For example, when going towards white world tendency, the eyeball stages go from neutral looking, to slightly light looking, to light looking, and then to full blown white light with particles coming out denoting pure white tendency.

i ask this bc I’m going for pure with Character tendency and I killed all 5 BP npcs but I didn’t get full white (it looked king half white and half dark); I then looked up and found out that killing BO Scriver through falling doesn’t affect Character tendency so I lucked out on that. I’m killing the npcs again through cloud save and I’ve killed 3 now but I noticed the Character tendency isn’t changing. does pure white look like pure white like in world tendency with the sparkles coming out?

I hope I didn’t luck out in this run cause I’m really starting to get annoyed with this tendency crap in an otherwise amazing game.
It's percentage based and progresses slower than world tendency I believe. Pain in the ass to get to pure white to get the ally's ring.

Temple Knights Log 1/17/21 EviLore EviLore , 4Kings down in second attempt. Most creepy fight due to the whole darkness and complexity with judging the proximity for inducing damage. I didn’t know if there’s anywhere to progress from the abyss 4 kings bonfire, thus teleported to anor londo, here comes the weird part. The moment I spawned by the bonfire, the lady who stands by the wall asked me how dare I hold a weapon from a deity or something and she started attacking me and I had no option but to put her down. Her last dying words were “This man is a threat” along those lines. Now I’ve accidentally acquired a firekeeper soul which has been used to reinforce estus flask at firelink
Shrine. Traversed to the altar to relinquish the souls at the altar and this giant door opened below firelink shrine called Kiln something. Not sure if I should proceed this way or if there any other bosses missing elsewhere.

Mr. PlayStation Mr. PlayStation Ah, you were talking about New Londo Ruins earlier, then? My mistake. Sounds like you figured out to use the ring though. You can check out that area. Still plenty more to do.

Phew turned out I didn't have this pendant thing which this blue crystal rock dude drops right after taking the elevator shaft from dukes archives bonfire. Took him out, went back to the Dark Root basin, this weird looking handy eye thingy grabbed me and took me to the DLC location. Defeated Sanctuary guardian with a random coop person and solo'd King Artorias. Artorias fight was so damn good, best boss fight in the game so far. I did die once against Gwyn Lord of Cinder shortly before accessing the DLC location.

T_Exige

I think Demon Souls ruined Dark Souls 1 for me. I had the platinum on PS3 and bought the remaster a few days ago, but can't get into the controls and flow of the game. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I think Demon Souls ruined Dark Souls 1 for me. I had the platinum on PS3 and bought the remaster a few days ago, but can't get into the controls and flow of the game. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
I played Dark Souls Remastered about two months ago for the first time.

I think it is brilliant and can easily stand on its own compared to Demon's Souls.

Just a different spin on the hole fantasy setting.

Realy good game.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Phew turned out I didn't have this pendant thing which this blue crystal rock dude drops right after taking the elevator shaft from dukes archives bonfire. Took him out, went back to the Dark Root basin, this weird looking handy eye thingy grabbed me and took me to the DLC location. Defeated Sanctuary guardian with a random coop person and solo'd King Artorias. Artorias fight was so damn good, best boss fight in the game so far. I did die once against Gwyn Lord of Cinder shortly before accessing the DLC location.
Good thing you went back for the DLC area. The DLC content is some of the best in the game, really cool stuff.

Did you find Ash Lake? That's an optional area but you should check it out if you didn't happen upon it. Access through the secret walls at the bottom of Blighttown in the giant tree.

Good thing you went back for the DLC area. The DLC content is some of the best in the game, really cool stuff.

Did you find Ash Lake? That's an optional area but you should check it out if you didn't happen upon it. Access through the secret walls at the bottom of Blighttown in the giant tree.
Ash Lake and Great Hollow done. Sanctuary Guardian, Manus and Knight King Aritoras are all vanquished. Lord of Cinder dead and begun NG. I just discovered only after beating the game, the giant who's peeling potatoes by the bonfire near Oolacile bonfire with a giant bow behind him, would actually shoot the bow at a giant black dragon. But the cinematics never played for me :( I just went ahead to warp out of the location since all other bosses were vanquished. What a staggering achievement in level design, shall I go ahead with Dark Souls 2 EviLore EviLore

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ash Lake and Great Hollow done. Sanctuary Guardian, Manus and Knight King Aritoras are all vanquished. Lord of Cinder dead and begun NG. I just discovered only after beating the game, the giant who's peeling potatoes by the bonfire near Oolacile bonfire with a giant bow behind him, would actually shoot the bow at a giant black dragon. But the cinematics never played for me :( I just went ahead to warp out of the location since all other bosses were vanquished. What a staggering achievement in level design, shall I go ahead with Dark Souls 2 EviLore EviLore
Congrats! Dark Souls 2...well, it’s not a bad game, but definitely feels like someone other than Miyazaki and his core team developed it. It’s the only one I haven’t finished. If it doesn’t end up to your liking, don’t feel bad about skipping ahead to DS3.

Congrats! Dark Souls 2...well, it’s not a bad game, but definitely feels like someone other than Miyazaki and his core team developed it. It’s the only one I haven’t finished. If it doesn’t end up to your liking, don’t feel bad about skipping ahead to DS3.
Alright cap, little disappointed to hear that DS2 could feel like it's not got that Miayzaki San and his core team's signature in it. Look forward to checking it out soon

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just did 4-1 last night with full black tendency finally after that red fker would one shot me consistently. Im a knight build and not doing any damage hardly and when he was finally almost dead hed step back and instantly heal to full life.

Ended up co-oping his ass and killing him lol. #NoShame

Top Bottom