• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just did 4-1 last night with full black tendency finally after that red fker would one shot me consistently. Im a knight build and not doing any damage hardly and when he was finally almost dead hed step back and instantly heal to full life.

Ended up co-oping his ass and killing him lol. #NoShame
You pretty much have to stun lock/stagger him to prevent healing. He staggers really easy.

Or like you said, co-op makes quick work.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So after doing ng+7 and several other ng runs with different builds, i thought i had seen every build.

But then i realized i haven't done a marion blade/clever rat build yet. I never even think about doing those low health max damage builds but figured id give it a shot here and my god the damage is insane. 1200-1800 damage to alant in one hit, most bosses go down in one 4 hit combo. This is way better than the firestorm one hit KOs.

Recorded some of the boss kills. Am using the blueblood sword which has 670 AR before the clever rat and marion blade take it over 1200. This is on ng+8.

Forgot to equip the marion blade against maiden astrea. Was still doing 370 damage per arrow.

RNG

Finally beat Dragon God after who knows how many times I died on that third pillar rubble. Going completely naked seemed to work for me throughout the boss fight (minus weapon of course).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've played all Dark Souls many times, bloodborne and sekiro.
Last year even finished Ringed City... surprisingly previously I had a problem beating cinder but when I got in a replay mood last year, whole ds3 and dlc went smoothly. I love these games.
My fav is ds2 probably but all 3 are my top games. Bloodborne is fantastic too but waiting for 4k60 before I replay it. Sekiro is a solid game but this much parry is not my thing... What I do noticed is that Sekiro made dark souls 3 much easier :p

Anyway - I've got ps5 few days ago, finished Astro and now up to Des which I;ve never played !!! It's the reason I've bought ps5.
Just killed phallanx and I love it so far. Feels a bit weird. Almost not like a souls game and I am a bit rusty. Have to admit I've died like 5 times before phalanx :p
It feels very weird being lost in a "typical" souls game again. I am not sure what to upgrade and what type of weapon to choose for my playthrough. General stats hints are welcome.

Also - having a tough time deciding to play cinematic or performance mode. I am fine with 30 but it does not feel as good as bloodborne at 30... but it's so sharp !
So, so far I am palying more in performance mode which feels extremely smooth like if it was 120 fps, not 60. Must be that excellent motion blur. I am not one of those who disables motion blur outright. It is important part of motion graphics and people usually just don't understand and it's "elite" to disable it.
It is a tiny bit less detailed but the internal 1440p must use some checkerboarding since it looks a bit too good. Tesselation is also lowered but I've not noticed anything else aside from general sharpness a bit.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I've played all Dark Souls many times, bloodborne and sekiro.
Last year even finished Ringed City... surprisingly previously I had a problem beating cinder but when I got in a replay mood last year, whole ds3 and dlc went smoothly. I love these games.
My fav is ds2 probably but all 3 are my top games. Bloodborne is fantastic too but waiting for 4k60 before I replay it. Sekiro is a solid game but this much parry is not my thing... What I do noticed is that Sekiro made dark souls 3 much easier :p

Anyway - I've got ps5 few days ago, finished Astro and now up to Des which I;ve never played !!! It's the reason I've bought ps5.
Just killed phallanx and I love it so far. Feels a bit weird. Almost not like a souls game and I am a bit rusty. Have to admit I've died like 5 times before phalanx :p
It feels very weird being lost in a "typical" souls game again. I am not sure what to upgrade and what type of weapon to choose for my playthrough. General stats hints are welcome.

Also - having a tough time deciding to play cinematic or performance mode. I am fine with 30 but it does not feel as good as bloodborne at 30... but it's so sharp !
So, so far I am palying more in performance mode which feel so super smooth like if it was 120 fps, not 60. Must be that excellent motion blur.
It is a tiny bit less detailed but the internal 1440p must use some checkerboarding since it looks a bit too good. Tesselation is also lowered but I've not noticed anything else aside from general sharpness a bit.

Performance mode. Crescent falchion +1. Pump up magic. Enjoy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Performance mode. Crescent falchion +1. Pump up magic. Enjoy.
That does not sound like my type of build. Curved swords suck in other souls games :p Where is it?
I usually play with claymore or ugs. des so far with long sword as I've not found anything better.

Paulxo87

That does not sound like my type of build. Curved swords suck in other souls games :p Where is it?
I usually play with claymore or ugs. des so far with long sword as I've not found anything better.

the crescent is a great weapon to grab immediately because it allows you to progress with ease to fulfil the build you are looking to achieve. the dragon longsword +1 is also a great weapon to grab early to help with this goal as well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
one more question... is the game worth purchasing ps+ for?
All souls I've played on pc on steam but BB I've played without ps+
Does online works like every souls game with summon signs etc ?

SlimySnake

Summoning is very rare in this game. There are only like 4 million ps5s out in the wild and very few people bought this game. Even at lunch it was hard to summon people.

The game also punishes you for playing in human form so that also discourages people from cooping.

I wouldn't recommend buying ps+ just for this game.

iHaunter

Summoning is very rare in this game. There are only like 4 million ps5s out in the wild and very few people bought this game. Even at lunch it was hard to summon people.

The game also punishes you for playing in human form so that also discourages people from cooping.

I wouldn't recommend buying ps+ just for this game.
Huh? I had soooooo many people looking for summons when I got the game, even now. The game is super active for me in the US. Also, there were 10m+ PS5s sold, pretty sure not 4m. Demon's Souls sold millions of copies.

SlimySnake

Finally beat Dragon God after who knows how many times I died on that third pillar rubble. Going completely naked seemed to work for me throughout the boss fight (minus weapon of course).
I've beaten the game over 15 times and i still don't know how to get past that third pillar without him noticing me. It feels purely rng

But i have come up with a way to pretty much ignore all the bs.

Use warding on the top level and shield bash to break the pillars. He will hit you but you will survive thanks to warding.

Go downstairs and destroy the first two pillars with shield bash and use second chance. Then use soul arrow on the third and fourth pillars from the second pillar. You will need four direct hits.

Then just run for your life. Use shield bash on the last pillar rubble on the stairs. Should take it out in one hit. Worse case scenario he finds and kills you on the stairs but your second chance will help you survive. But 99% of that time he will attack behind you on the third and fourth pillar rubble but you should've run past them by then thanks to soul arrow.

DrDamn

I didn't have too much trouble summoning or being summoned for boss fights (UK). I would tend to work my way through a level in soul form then help someone else beat the boss to regain my humanity (and refresh my memory on tactics) and then summon help if available. That way you avoid invasions for the most part and can use you human form to go back and explore the previous section for bits missed without worrying about it too. I always found the hints, blood pools and ghosts of other players added to the game a great deal too.

Is it worth PS+ just for this game? Probably not, but when you factor in the included games, cloud storage and discounts I think it's good value regardless.

I also discovered a nice early warning system for invasions ...

If you are sat waiting for a summon sign to appear by a boss you are open to invasions. Keep messing with the screenshot mode, if you get kicked out of this mode without pressing a button an invasion is coming, but you still have time to save and exit the game.

SlimySnake

Beat Maneater, Tower Knight, King Doran, Old Hero and the Adjudicator using the blueblood sword and Marion blade/clever rat ring build and it was cathartic to say the least. So many of these bosses have killled me in one hit or one combo so it felt great to beat them the same way. Doran went down in a hurry. I think his scaling might be off in NG+.

This is on NG+7.

Huh? I had soooooo many people looking for summons when I got the game, even now. The game is super active for me in the US. Also, there were 10m+ PS5s sold, pretty sure not 4m. Demon's Souls sold millions of copies.
I dont know man. My experience with coop at launch and even a month after launch when more PS5s were out in the wild was really barren. I love to coop after beating a boss in DS games going back to DS2, but I would just sit there for like 10-15 minutes waiting for people to summon me. There were certain bosses like the Maneater where I would get summoned a lot, but even then it wouldnt be instantaneous and i would have to wait 1-5 minutes to get summoned. I also think that having different areas available at once makes it a bit tougher because everyone levels up differently and there is no linear progression where everyone is around the same level making matchmaking easier. I purposefully remained underleveled for some other characters I played as and while it helped, I got tired of waiting 5-10 minutes to get summoned.

I think its the fact that you turn human after helping someone, lower than usual population due to launch window, and people not wanting to turn human because it pretty much guaranteed an invasion are all contributing factors here.

I think I saw NPD numbers that were below 2 million in North America so i just extrapolated it to 4 million worldwide. Maybe I was dreaming because I cant find which thread that was in.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Am I a complete sack of shit for cheesing the red dragon in 1-2 ? I killed him with a bastard sword (20 damage)... it took a while.
Is his soul useful for anything aside eating it ?
Would the red dragon be encountered further too ?
Now I am trying to farm claymore from blue eyed knight but no luck

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Am I a complete sack of shit for cheesing the red dragon in 1-2 ? I killed him with a bastard sword (20 damage)... it took a while.
Is his soul useful for anything aside eating it ?
Would the red dragon be encountered further too ?
Now I am trying to farm claymore from blue eyed knight but no luck
You can buy the claymore in 1-3 from a vendor for only 1500.

Eat the dragon soul. He won't appear again but he should've made your world whiter meaning you do more damage.

For the blue dragon, bring poison arrows, and level up your bow fully. He as 2x the health of the red dragon. You can also use the marion blade and clever rat ring to double your damage. Or if you are a magic build, bring the kris blade, the monk hat and the ring of magical sharpness to do a good 200 damage to him with every hit. with the marion blade and clever rat ring, i was doing 860 damage to him with soul ray.

iam also sucked into Demons Souls - i did not do any of the Ng+ stuff like SlimySnake but tryd out a few builds by my own with new charakters

recently i made a pretty cocky Flamelurker - Dragongod Melee Run with one life. Altough my Idea that i could remove the Pillars at Dragongod with a bow did not work out i still made it in one try.. Guess the high health and human form helped..

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK so I am like 20 hours in. Still need to do whole swamp area (left it for last) and king tower (Allant I guess, I've tried to avoid spoilers all those years).
Is there anything that just stops me from going to Allant and finishing the game? What triggers the ending? Defeating the last boss of each area?

The hardest thing of this game so far is grindig for chunks. It's horrible mechanic and worst grind in souls.
I've spent like straight 3 hours grinding for dragonstone chunks on those big lava bugs in order to get dragon longsword to +5. I am using it and crescent falchion (also managed to get it to +5) since I've noticed enemies in each area either don't like magic or fire so having both weapons maxed is great.
The way archstones are placed is also annoying af. Very far apart and there are not always many shortcuts. it really is beta souls. No jumping, ugs moveset sucks ass..
I wanted to go for my usual strength build but crushing suuuuuuuuucks. You have to be like level 70-80 and most of that put in strength in order for crushing weapon to catch to it standard scaling... not to say dragon. So I've wasted plenty of points in strength and my +5 dragon longswords are better than most stuff I could make crushing.
I don't like ng+ and usually prefer to restart from NG in a few months when I replay these games. I like how DS2 did that with bonfire ascetic. I know crushing would for sure outscale dragon in ng+ but I wanted strength build for this playthrough...

That said - It's still an incredible game. head above most other games. I just think so far, it's the worst souls game but it's still great and has some advantages above others.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

OK so I am like 20 hours in. Still need to do whole swamp area (left it for last) and king tower (Allant I guess, I've tried to avoid spoilers all those years).
Is there anything that just stops me from going to Allant and finishing the game? What triggers the ending? Defeating the last boss of each area?

The hardest thing of this game so far is grindig for chunks. It's horrible mechanic and worst grind in souls.
I've spent like straight 3 hours grinding for dragonstone chunks on those big lava bugs in order to get dragon longsword to +5. I am using it and crescent falchion (also managed to get it to +5) since I've noticed enemies in each area either don't like magic or fire so having both weapons maxed is great.
The way archstones are placed is also annoying af. Very far apart and there are not always many shortcuts. it really is beta souls. No jumping, ugs moveset sucks ass..
I wanted to go for my usual strength build but crushing suuuuuuuuucks. You have to be like level 70-80 and most of that put in strength in order for crushing weapon to catch to it standard scaling... not to say dragon. So I've wasted plenty of points in strength and my +5 dragon longswords are better than most stuff I could make crushing.
I don't like ng+ and usually prefer to restart from NG in a few months when I replay these games. I like how DS2 did that with bonfire ascetic. I know crushing would for sure outscale dragon in ng+ but I wanted strength build for this playthrough...

That said - It's still an incredible game. head above most other games. I just think so far, it's the worst souls game but it's still great and has some advantages above others.
The last boss you kill triggers the ending. If u kill alant first, you will still need to the last boss in the swamp area. I would recommend you do that first. Alant is the hardest boss in the game.

Your dragonsword wont be good enough against him. You will do very little damage even at +5. Dont think you need to grind for chunks. There are plenty of chunks in the lava area in 2-2. just equip some fire resistance gear and water veil and collect them all. there are like 6 there.

Crushing builds are amazing even at 35-40 STR. You just need to pair them with the Cursed spell which will give it 50% more damage. Use the broken talisman of beast to make sure it doesnt drain your HP. Crushing claymore is insane against Alant with that spell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished the game. 22 hours and I took my time.
Finished with +5 dragon longsword and +5 crescent falchion.

Allant fight was great fun. Thankfully not as hard as people said, got him on 3rd try... only did 170 damage with the only effective attack of al my weapons, that is thrust with dragon longsword but it worked.
The swamp area was terrible... Blighttown is fun in comparison and visually more interesting.
All of Boletaria levels were the best as usually with souls. Great game. Probably ends up lower on my souls list.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also, I've popped in Bloodborne disc into ps5 (and loaded my saves from usb stick) after finishing Demons Souls and I've noticed few things:
1)30fps in Bloodborne IS SO MUCH FASTER AND MORE RESPONSIVE than 30fps in Demons remake. I am usually fine with 30fps and I knew something is off in Demons as I could not get into 30 with it... Either BB got secret 60fps patch or From just knows how to do good 30fps. It's instantly responsive, camera movement is fast and fluid, motion blur is on point. Just like 30fps in god of war and uc4... but I gotta check on that. 30fps in Last guardian on the other hand... worse than demons souls.
Demons Souls feels not only visually slower in 30fps mode but camera and controls are laggy. Setting camera speed to 0,70-80 helps some. Thankfully, 60fps mode feels awesome. I wish 30fps games felt more like Bloodborne. And no... I never had problem with BB framepacing. I even checked now - slowly rotate the camera around and there is no stutter at all.
2)Loading times on Bloodborne are much improved now on ssd but I am already missing fade to fog and out of demons. It was so fast! Click nexus and You are there!
3)Bloodborne style and environment art detail is unmatched. Demons is hardly comparable as it's more fantasy. DS3 is quite similar to BB.
4)BB has these very nice, per pixel motion blur on Your character animations. When You transpose the cane, it looks super smooth. Demons is 60fps so not a big deal there but I noticed des that motion blur is more global.
5)Torch in BB is great in offhand. DES remake is extremely dark at times. Even annoyingly so

All in all... I think I want 4k patch more than I want 60fps patch for BB but there is no reason we couldn't get 4k60. Just don't touch it or remake it aside from that. Everything is perfect visually.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I fucked up in the most impressive way possible.

I was saving Yuria the witch on NG+ and I accidently unleashed firestorm to kill the fat official and it killed Yuria, too.

I checked online to see if I could revert back to a previous save, but Sony's online save upload really truly is instantaneous and there doesn't appear to be any way to roll back to a previous save.

If anyone knows how I'd be grateful. Jesus Christ am I so mad.

Paulxo87

I fucked up in the most impressive way possible.

I was saving Yuria the witch on NG+ and I accidently unleashed firestorm to kill the fat official and it killed Yuria, too.

I checked online to see if I could revert back to a previous save, but Sony's online save upload really truly is instantaneous and there doesn't appear to be any way to roll back to a previous save.

If anyone knows how I'd be grateful. Jesus Christ am I so mad.

you're beat until NG++ lol

It can suck. I had someone invade me in a tight place and it caused me to hit a NPC I did not want to lose accidently lol

Last edited:

Metnut

How do I get greystone chunks? I have 2-3 in pure black tendency and the worms just keep dropping shards.

Really really frustrating

SlimySnake

Are there specific ones that I should look for?
2-2 rock worms right before the 2-2 boss. Unequip your ring of providence and ring of avriace and see if it improves the drop rate of chunks and pure grestones.

Also check fextralife wiki for locations of some chunks in 2-2.

Metnut

2-2 rock worms right before the 2-2 boss. Unequip your ring of providence and ring of avriace and see if it improves the drop rate of chunks and pure grestones.

Also check fextralife wiki for locations of some chunks in 2-2.

Unequip the Providence Ring? Worth a shot!

Pedro Motta

So after doing ng+7 and several other ng runs with different builds, i thought i had seen every build.

But then i realized i haven't done a marion blade/clever rat build yet. I never even think about doing those low health max damage builds but figured id give it a shot here and my god the damage is insane. 1200-1800 damage to alant in one hit, most bosses go down in one 4 hit combo. This is way better than the firestorm one hit KOs.

Recorded some of the boss kills. Am using the blueblood sword which has 670 AR before the clever rat and marion blade take it over 1200. This is on ng+8.

Forgot to equip the marion blade against maiden astrea. Was still doing 370 damage per arrow.

goddamn, what an amazing game.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
This is probably the most exhausting platinum ive ever gotten. Those ring and spell/miracle trophies give me ptsd
Preparation is key.

It is not to bad though. Compared to the original.

Of course if you go in blind with the wish to get the platinum it is far from easy.

But... YOU made it!

I'm proud of you!

Umbasaborne

Banned
Preparation is key.

Of course if you go in blind with the wish to get the platinum it is far from easy.

But... YOU made it!

I'm proud of you!
Ive never played the original. Ive played the dark souls games and blood borne but ive never platinumed them before. The trophies were definitely time consuming, especially getting the foes and ally’s ring, as well as grinding out those really hard to find resources. All in all it took me about 90 hours or so to do, Across two characters.

i did love my experience though, enough to make it part of my gaf name

Last edited:

FrankWza

This is probably the most exhausting platinum ive ever gotten. Those ring and spell/miracle trophies give me ptsd
Preparation is key.

But... YOU made it!

I'm proud of you!
Original DeS trophies were much more time consuming.
Is it even possible to platinum without going deep into a 3rd play through? The only way to donut in 2 is to use a save backup right?

Con-Z-epT

Is it even possible to platinum without going deep into a 3rd play through? The only way to donut in 2 is to use a save backup right?
Not sure. I save scamed. Got the miracles first, reloaded and then got most of the spells. After 5 hours into NG+ i had the platinum.

Con-Z-epT

Ive never played the original. Ive played the dark souls games and blood borne but ive never platinumed them before. The trophies were definitely time consuming, especially getting the foes and ally’s ring, as well as grinding out those really hard to find resources. All in all it took me about 90 hours or so to do, Across two characters.

i did love my experience though, enough to make it part of my gaf name
I was prepared! :messenger_sunglasses:

Bloodborne was my first From Software game and it took me about 400 hours to get the platinum.

But i was not looking for it. Just played the game and could not stop. It happend naturally.

In the Demon's Souls Remake i said let's get it as fast as possible.

I made it easily to Flamelurker on NG+, but I just suddenly started to play Dark Souls Remastered which I got at a discount. What a game it is. I think I enjoy it more than Demon's Souls.

I shall return upon Demon's Souls and get the platinum!

I'm so happy that I didn't play Souls games when the originally camd out because now I can play them with a smooth 60fps. No, I don't play on PC and YES we all are waiting the BB update..

TheTurboFD

Anyone here wanna help me dupe some of my bladestone chunks ? Also looking for marrow stone and spider stone items, I can help dupe those if you’re interested.

I made it easily to Flamelurker on NG+, but I just suddenly started to play Dark Souls Remastered which I got at a discount. What a game it is. I think I enjoy it more than Demon's Souls.

I shall return upon Demon's Souls and get the platinum!

I'm so happy that I didn't play Souls games when the originally camd out because now I can play them with a smooth 60fps. No, I don't play on PC and YES we all are waiting the BB update..

I still prefer Demon's Souls overall, but the first half of Dark Souls is as good as it gets. But, those later stages are just amateur designs.

I really wish we could get the full Bluepoint treatment to every Soulsborne game.

Last edited:
I still prefer Demon's Souls overall, but the first half of Dark Souls is as good as it gets. But, those later stages are just amateur designs.

I really wish we could get the full Bluepoint treatment to every Soulsborne game.
AMEN for Bluepoint treatment! Dark Souls Remastered is pretty damn ugly and menus suck compared to Demon's Souls Remake.
Also I think you have to carry everything you want to use at a blacksmith? Not like in Demon's where all off your stuff is usable.

And to that first part: I'm now at the Catacombs and it fucking sucks balls. I think I went there a bit early.

The only PTSD in the road towards the platinum for me was that one trophy where you need
to kill all your allies and you're given a ring

I had to literal reload my previous save to retcon the act I had committed. Platinum got unlocked though in my ng+.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have a dream, ...of Bloodborne Remake by bluepoint
I will be honest with you, as much as enjoyed Demons Souls on PS5 I'm still not fan of changes they made with some of the enemy/boss designs and I LOVE Bloodborne's enemy/boss designs, I hate to see it get ruined.

Last edited:
Top Bottom