• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls PS5 - new info from Lance McDonald

Vae_Victis

Banned
Lance McDonald (soulsborne modder) confirmed that he has been in contact with the developers and was given access to a preview of Demon's Souls, and since then he has been saying quite a lot of small things about the game on Twitter.

TL;DR in case you can't load the tweets:
  • He was shown the game and was told several things by the developers, but didn't play it himself.
  • The game went gold on September 24.
  • The game uses parts of the Shadow of the Colossus PS4 remake's engine (which is Bluepoint's engine).
  • The internal file structure and even file names are almost identical to that of the original Demon's Souls, which to him suggests Bluepoint is really trying to be as faithful to the original as possible.
  • Nothing he saw suggests difficulty modes were introduced.
  • The actual game camera is a bit different from what was in the gameplay trailer. When you run it pans out like in the original DS, and when you walk or stand still it's a bit closer and slightly tilted to the right.
  • The Fool's Idol still has the piece of wood in her hands. The stained glass behind her in the church now portrays a woman and two bald men at her sides (which is something that was among the unused files from the original game).
  • He won't reveal now whether the 6th archstone is or not in the game [spoiler: it isn't].
  • He doesn't know if item burden is still in the game. Stockpile Thomas though definitely is.
  • The gameplay trailer was played with a hacked character, and that's why it killed everything in one hit. For the fight against Vanguard, the hack was disabled [if you look really closely, you can in fact see a very short fade-to-white when the character enters, and the footage of the two modes is merged. I originally thought it was just part of how fog walls work now, but apparently it was an edit].
  • Body/soul form is still in the game by default, it's not relegated to a particular difficulty mode.
  • The music for the Nexus is almost identical to the original, the cut without the long pauses he leaked a few days ago is only the one the game uses when hovered over in the PS5 menu.
  • Fractured Mode is still a thing, he thinks he knows what it does but he won't say it now.

Last edited:

SCB3

Man, I won't be able to afford a PS5 til next year hopefully but this is gonna be the game to play when I finally do, I'm a huge fan of the original so to see it being faithfully redone + extras is fantastic news

Ar¢tos

gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme-gimme

nowhat

• The game uses parts of the Shadow of the Colossus PS4 remake's engine (which is Bluepoint's engine).
  • The internal file structure and even file names are almost identical to that of the original Demon's Souls, which to him suggests Bluepoint is really trying to be as faithful to the original as possible.
What Bluepoint did with SotC was that their engine handles graphics, audio and such - but there's the original engine running in parallel, that handles game logic. I assume a similar system is in use here, as that would make a faithful remake much easier.

Vae_Victis

Banned

The 6th Archstone WILL be done, probably through DLC. You can mark my words here and now, and call me a coal-licking retard if it doesn't happen sooner rather than later.

There is NO WAY they just ignore the 11 years of people asking for it, after they decided the game itself was worth a remake that put it at the center of a new console launch.

EDIT: only scenario where it might not happen is if the game itself is a total bomb and a critical disaster. But I also find it really, really hard to envision that happening.

Last edited:
The 6th Archstone WILL be done, probably through DLC. You can mark my words here and now, and call me a coal-licking retard if it doesn't happen sooner rather than later.

There is NO WAY they just ignore the 11 years of people asking for it, after they decided the game itself was worth a remake that put it at the center of a new console launch.

EDIT: only scenario where it might not happen is if the game itself is a total bomb and a critical disaster. But I also find it really, really hard to envision that happening.
I don`t think so, unless that Archstone content was already mostly finished and they have solid base material to work with.
Bluepoint is probably not mad/arrogant enough to try to create original content for a From game.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I had hope about the 6th Archstone, but it seems like Bluepoint is staying very true to the original.

Pretty sure it won't happen now.

J3nga

I would get it if it was 40 euros for me, but 80 is a little no for me. Haven't decided really yet, I didn't like Dark Souls series, but loved Sekiro although this is definitely leaning towards Dark Souls which isn't a plus for me.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I don`t think so, unless that Archstone content was already mostly finished and they have solid base material to work with.
Bluepoint is probably not mad/arrogant enough to try to create original content for a From game.
I had hope about the 6th Archstone, but it seems like Bluepoint is staying very true to the original.

Pretty sure it won't happen now.
It's not really up to Bluepoint, it's mostly up to Sony. If Sony sees the game sold millions copies in the first months, they will ask Bluepoint to make a DLC for Demon's Souls they can sell for 15-20 dollars and later on implement in a Game of the Year package, like they usually do for their first party single player games. It's basically free money at that point.

I really doubt Bluepoint would tell no to Sony for any reason, least of all out of "respect" for From Software - that's how fanboys think, not industry professionals.

On the content side, keep in mind there IS canceled material from the 6th Archstone. An entire enemy roster (minus the bosses) was in the game files, and basically half the maps were also already laid out and mapped in the game itself (which means they were definitely complete in terms of cencept design). Moreover, Japan Studio was involved with the original and is involved with the remake, which means Bluepoint might have easy full access to unused/deleted materials. And, even if Japan Studio doesn't have it, considering the closeness between Sony and From Software I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any particular issues asking From directly to share some of their archive.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I really dont give a damn about the Soulsbourne series. I will probably hate this ... But i'm so tempted to get it for the graphics and artstyle alone :messenger_weary:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
This is all glorious news.

I think one of the most exciting things for allot of us in the SoulsBourne community is the return of an online presence to DeS. Yes I know there are fan servers for the OG game but this release now will put it back into the mainstream and PvP/invades/jolly co-op will return.

I'm going to treat this as I do every first run of a new Souls game however, which is strictly the first run is only solo with no co op summons allowed. If a boss is kicking my ass then tough shit I git gud.

Oh I can't wait to invade the casuals hahahaha.

FunkMiller

I‘m still not 100% percent convinced it isn’t in the base game. Graphics in gameplay videos can be easily altered, after all.

Either way, I’m pretty sure it’s coming at some point.

It would have been little problem for Bluepoint to work with From on making sure the Northern Limit was recreated properly this time around. The remake has been in development for years, and Bluepoint clearly have the talent to do it.

Edit: can’t wait to see what fractured mode is!

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
This is my game for next gen launch.

Wasn't too sure at first but the hype is rising and I'm looking forward to exploring the world and dying a lot.

It will contrast nicely with the Nintendo games I've been playing a lot of recently.

Reyziak

You forgot that they finally added an easy mode in the game.
Demon's Souls has always had an easy mode, it's called magic. Sorcery is OP.

Miracles are also OP since a Faith build can become a health regen build(Regerator's Ring, Adjudicator's shield, a weapon infused along the blessed path, and the Regeneration Miracle), your health comes back faster than the ability of most enemies to deplete it.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I would get it if it was 40 euros for me, but 80 is a little no for me. Haven't decided really yet, I didn't like Dark Souls series, but loved Sekiro although this is definitely leaning towards Dark Souls which isn't a plus for me.

I can't believe games are 80 Euro for you guys. $70 USD which is worth a little less. Crazy!

Geki-D

Banned
So we still don’t really know what “Fractured Mode” is?
Apparently, it's a mirror mode.

Demon's Souls has always had an easy mode, it's called magic. Sorcery is OP.

Miracles are also OP since a Faith build can become a health regen build(Regerator's Ring, Adjudicator's shield, a weapon infused along the blessed path, and the Regeneration Miracle), your health comes back faster than the ability of most enemies to deplete it.
I'm hoping Blue Point did what From was apparently unwilling to do (over several games, from Demon's to most of the Darks) and actually balanced the game properly this time.

Last edited:

J3nga

I can't believe games are 80 Euro for you guys. $70 USD which is worth a little less. Crazy!
Some states apply taxes but even then it is less than 80 euros. Both Spider-man ultimate edition and Demon's Souls go as high as 75 euros here but still it's freakin' insane price increase. I'm afraid Sony might charge 100 euros for Horizon II, GOW: Ragnarok and future first party studios titles.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Looks like Lance deleted all his original tweets. Probably somebody at Sony or Bluepoint was not happy with him giving information around. :messenger_smirking:

TrebleShot

Really looking forward to trying this and hoping it gets me into the soulsborne series proper, I got Bloodborne when it came out and probably made it a third of the way through before giving up. I like it, I like the gameplay and designs, I just don't have time to redo levels over and over and get frustrated until I get good.

Glad I have Spider Man and will probably get Sackboy for easier rides.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Good: bow cheese prob still work

Bad: hope the game aged well, just a graphic bump might not be enough for modern gamers

Geki-D

Banned
And what is mirror mode ? Never heard and can't figure out what it could be xD
The world is flipped, like in a mirror. So on your main playthrough, the main path might be to the left, but in Fractured Mode, it'll be to the right. If you have Uncharted 4 or TLOU2, you can turn on mirror world mode in those games to get an idea. It's possible there's more to this mode, Lance was only aware of that feature.

ScRXrP9.jpg

DelireMan7

The world is flipped, like in a mirror. So on your main playthrough, the main path might be to the left, but in Fractured Mode, it'll be to the right. If you have Uncharted 4 or TLOU2, you can turn on mirror world mode in those games to get an idea. It's possible there's more to this mode, Lance was only aware of that feature.

ScRXrP9.jpg

Huh ?! Ok... Thanks... I don't really see the point of that. I might miss something I guess xD
It's literally flipped ? Or just the paths are changing (different placement for enemy/ monster) I don't have any games with that mode.

Last edited:

Concern

This is all glorious news.

I think one of the most exciting things for allot of us in the SoulsBourne community is the return of an online presence to DeS. Yes I know there are fan servers for the OG game but this release now will put it back into the mainstream and PvP/invades/jolly co-op will return.

I'm going to treat this as I do every first run of a new Souls game however, which is strictly the first run is only solo with no co op summons allowed. If a boss is kicking my ass then tough shit I git gud.

Oh I can't wait to invade the casuals hahahaha.

Definitely will be picking this up with my Ps5 next year. I just hope it has legs at least till the next big from game releases or a bloodborne boost happens.

Geki-D

Banned
Huh ?! Ok... Thanks... I don't really see the point of that. I might miss something I guess xD
It's literally flipped ? Or just the paths are changing (different placement for enemy/ monster) I don't have any games with that mode.
The whole world is flipped. We don't know if it will change anything else yet. It's not a mode I really use myself, but in a game you'd play through multiple times, it's a pretty neat way to change things up a bit. It was also in the Shadow of the Colossus remake and I know a lot of the vets appreciated the change up.

Another thing to note is that, if it works like in other games, it'll make your left hand the main hand. Meaning you have to flip how you equip weapons, shields & parry weapons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom