• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve wants to make 'at least three' Dune movies

ManaByte

The new Dune film covers the first half of Herbert's original novel, and Dune: Part Two will tackle the rest. But Villeneuve believes that adapting Dune Messiah on top of that is important to conveying the full saga of Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet).

"I always envisioned three movies," Villeneuve says. "It's not that I want to do a franchise, but this is Dune, and Dune is a huge story. In order to honor it, I think you would need at least three movies. That would be the dream. To follow Paul Atreides and his full arc would be nice."

As Herbert readers know, the world of Dune gets stranger with every book. By the end of Children of Dune, one character has begun to transform themself into a human-sandworm hybrid that becomes the title character of God Emperor of Dune. Adapting that transformation might be too much even for Villeneuve, but he's definitely interested in Dune Messiah.

"Herbert wrote six books, and the more he was writing, the more it was getting psychedelic," Villeneuve says. "So I don't know how some of them could be adapted. One thing at a time. If I ever have the chance to do Dune: Part Two and Dune Messiah, I'm blessed."

Fbh

Would be nice.
If he really wants to tell the entire story of Paul he'd definitely have to adapt Dune Messiah too

mortal

Gold Member
1v5jofb.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Pretty sure it'll happen. There's little reason to think Dune Deuce won't do well at this point.

Only issue I could see would be they didn't negotiate contracts ahead of time and who knows where Zendaya and Chalamet's careers will be, what they might demand, what other projects they might be tied up in, etc.

They should greenlight messiah now for that reason.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
They should just recast Zendaya now before she says a second line. They could get Zoe Saldana or that Smollette chick in there and I doubt anyone would notice.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
He is my favorite director working today. But I kind of eyeroll at his "it's not that I want to do a franchise..." comment when also considering the comments he keeps making about Marvel. There is some truth to it, but give it a rest. No one is accusing him of selling out just because he makes a trilogy.

ZehDon

That would be pretty much my ideal vision of Dune on film: a trilogy concluding with Dune Messiah. After that, I honestly think longer TV Shows would be a better format, simply for the density of what follows.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Pretty sure it'll happen. There's little reason to think Dune Deuce won't do well at this point.

Only issue I could see would be they didn't negotiate contracts ahead of time and who knows where Zendaya and Chalamet's careers will be, what they might demand, what other projects they might be tied up in, etc.

They should greenlight messiah now for that reason.
Don't studios normally sign up the actors to a 3 picture deal as a matter of course encase the original movie makes a ton of money, for Dune they'd all be signed for at least a 2 movie deal

He is my favorite director working today. But I kind of eyeroll at his "it's not that I want to do a franchise..." comment when also considering the comments he keeps making about Marvel. There is some truth to it, but give it a rest. No one is accusing him of selling out just because he makes a trilogy.
Just with the cinematography alone, it looks like a passion project.

it would suck if he was held up on these movies. of course if he can do it and if that's what he wants the great. all the best to him. i just think he should go onto other movies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Don't studios normally sign up the actors to a 3 picture deal as a matter of course encase the original movie makes a ton of money, for Dune they'd all be signed for at least a 2 movie deal
Well when there is an actual plan for said sequels, sure. But that involves contractually obligating people's time.. I kinda doubt they did that for Dune.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well when there is an actual plan for said sequels, sure. But that involves contractually obligating people's time.. I kinda doubt they did that for Dune.
Like I said it's standard practice and Dune was always meant to be a 2 partner with the sequel dependent on box office so naturally the entire cast would've been signed up for 2 flicks at the very least

ZehDon

I believe that's common practice in Hollywood, especially these days. Warner Brothers and Legendary are clearly hoping for Dune to be a franchise, so I'd wager they signed the actors up for as many films as their agents allowed for.
With the exception of Jason Mamoa's Duncan Idaho, most the characters are only around for one or two books anyway, so it's not much of a stretch to think they inked deals for as many films.

Last edited:
Top Bottom