• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo launches new technology to prevent Switch emulation

daveonezero

Banned
Ah yes, another reason for Switch games to run like crap, just what the system needed.
And spyware. Doesn’t this company have a horrible reputation of invasive DRM?

I’m guessing they sell user data too.

I’ll actively avoid these games.

Pretending that pirates don't exist and that piracy isn't an issue, the most pirate thing ever.

The truth is the entire PC market, including Steam itself is molded by piracy.
In a world they do exist the solution isn’t more invasive DRM.

It has pretty much been proven by platforms like Steam and GOG.

One has drm the other has none.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Neither do you.
I do, 1 person right here not buying games because of denuvo. I can count a few others in this thread.
Not to mention you can find plenty of big sellers with weak to no protection, like that Elden Ring game that sold 12 million copies in a short time, or Cyberpunk 2077, or God of War, or Spider Man, or Minecraft, showing whatever pirates there are they aren't such a big deal to warrant ruining the experience for paying costumers and potentially give an expiration date to a software that should've been a life-use license.

Now, how many examples or arguments do you have?

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
DRM on the console itself? Making games harder to crack on PC is one thing but I don't like the idea of added layers on a console.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The industry is in fucking shambles looking more like the mobile market each day, GaaS, F2P and cheap games dominating the market (the natural answers for piracy on PC).
Nintendo and Sony are consistently making record profits with their games despite their consoles being easily hackable....

Nintendo and Sony are consistently making record profits with their games despite their consoles being easily hackable....
They are not easily hackable at all compare to how easy it is on PC. It's also pretty easy to tell that demand for pirated PC games is much higher.

Last edited:

Dural

But there are millions of switch owners pirating Nintendo games, that console has been so easy to pirate that people are able to overclock the system and play games with better performance than people without modded hardware.

It's only easy on the pre 2018 models that don't have the patch. You need a mod chip for everything else and those aren't cheap or easy to install (soldering skills have to be pretty damn good), so I seriously doubt there are that many modded Switches out there.

nkarafo

I do, 1 person right here not buying games because of denuvo. I can count a few others in this thread.
Not to mention you can find plenty of big sellers with weak to no protection, like that Elden Ring game that sold 12 million copies in a short time, or Cyberpunk 2077, or God of War, or Spider Man, or Minecraft, showing whatever pirates there are they aren't such a big deal to warrant ruining the experience for paying costumers and potentially give an expiration date to a software that should've been a life-use license.

Now, how many examples or arguments do you have?
Don't forget The Witcher 3 and how much of a success it was despite being available with no DRM.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This talk isn't going to fool anybody, obviously piracy comes at the cost of some sales.
In the case of Switch, this is complete bullshit. I hope they succeed in slowing down Switch piracy, which is absolutely rampant and does affect sales. But I have no real belief that they will obviously.
This only affect negatively legal purchases as the performance will be shit and pirates will simply move on. This stupid assumption that pirates will go “Oh shit I can’t pirate it then I will pay for it” is laughable. As again, the majority of people who pirate games will simply move on.

nocsi

It's only easy on the pre 2018 models that don't have the patch. You need a mod chip for everything else and those aren't cheap or easy to install (soldering skills have to be pretty damn good), so I seriously doubt there are that many modded Switches out there.
lol there’s a lot of modded switches out there. And yea it’s trivial to even solder a modchip in.

There are some stores where you can see how many modchips have been sold

Last edited:
This only affect negatively legal purchases as the performance will be shit and pirates will simply move on. This stupid assumption that pirates will go “Oh shit I can’t pirate it then I will pay for it” is laughable. As again, the majority of people who pirate games will simply move on.
If it hurts performance, I wont be a fan of it. Guess we'll wait and see. But in the end, I can't blame anyone that publishes games on Switch for trying. Read any thread on here about any Switch exclusive and you can see the entitlement and open piracy. Next up is Bayonetta 3 threads.

Last edited:
Where, when, and involving what games?
I remember from following Yuzu development that people were playing Diablo II: Resurrected there. Why would you emulate that on Yuzu instead of buying it on PC... maybe because it wasn't properly cracked on PC at the time and became available over emulation first?

For every person dumping their games there are countless other pirating, emulation and piracy go hand in hand.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
This talk isn't going to fool anybody, obviously piracy comes at the cost of some sales.

Again, the only real problem people have with Denuvo is that is actually works to stop piracy (at least for some time), pirates get mad at it and come up with a bunch excuses of why it's not fair.
giphy.gif

I remember from following Yuzu development that people were playing Diablo II: Resurrected there. Why would you emulate that on Yuzu instead of buying it on PC... maybe because it wasn't properly cracked on PC at the time and became available over emulation first.
To see how well the emulator handles the game? If a game exists, people will try emulating it, especially if the emulator is still in active development.

I'm still amazed how Nintendo doesn't want to release their games on PC when their handheld market is already strong and would stay that way, The other console makers have already figured out it's a lucrative market, and that Nintendo's rabid fanbase would be even more likely to buy a copy for each one. Even factoring in the Steam Deck, a huge majority would most likely stick with Switch and/or it's successor due to ease of use, size, and being the cheaper option. It's just so fucking weird.

Sentenza

I remember from following Yuzu development that people were playing Diablo II: Resurrected there. Why would you emulate that on Yuzu instead of buying it on PC... maybe because it wasn't properly cracked on PC at the time and became available over emulation first?

For every person dumping their games there are countless other pirating, emulation and piracy go hand in hand.
People try all kind of shit on emulators, mostly for curiosity and testing purpose, which doesn't mean they stick to play them for long.

You'd have to be an utter moron to think this is a widespread phenomenon and something that would make an impact on the market.

Hell, DRM or not caring about emulators is already as niche as it gets. Even among my gaming friends, most of which are focused on PC first like me, if one every ten of us is familiar with emulation is already a lot.

Guilty_AI

Fun fact: Diablo II: Resurrected on the Switch actually HAS online DRM.

So either people weren't doing it to pirate. Or it serves as further example of how much useless anti-piracy measures on the console can be, naturally only inconveniencing paying costumers, as always.

And if you want to pirate Diablo 2, do yourself a favor and at least go for the original.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Notice how piracy for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S are basically nonexistent as of now, while it's only switch getting piracy problems. Nintendo didn't have piracy this severe with the gamecube did they? Or N64? Or SNES?
Gee, its almost like.when your console is up to modern hardware standards, emulation and piracy are exclusive to the top 1% of people who can afford the cutting edge. WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?!?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Nintendo hasn't done anything. This is an Irdeto/Denuvo product.

Irdeto wouldn't be doing this on their own. They would only do it if there was a market for this. Queue Nintendo.

Soooooo you're doing something that violates every ToS there is software wise and have the audacity to complain when a company does something about it?

I can't wait till I meet a self entitled burglar who rants on the internet about companies that make decent locks which prevents him from stealing shit!! :D :D

Hey Mr. Sub-200 Posts. A burglar steals things. I pay for my game, and then I play it the way I want to. I hope your subsequent posts aren't so retarded and assholish. Welcome to NeoGAF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom