• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo launches new technology to prevent Switch emulation

KungFucius

King Snowflake
As someone who rips their games to play them on PC (or even on the Switch using an external SSD) this really irks me. Nintendo's sales are not lacking. That they are doing this shows how greedy and petty they really are.
Why do you think Nintendo is doing this? The blurb clearly indicates that it is aimed at publishers who put out multiplatform games. If Nintendo pays for this tech in their first party games then you can point the finger at them, but for now it looks like an attempt to add a product for publishers that use their PC DRM that also publish games on Switch.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What exactly is the discussion you want to have here? piracy is bad. Emulation leads to piracy. Two pretty strong arguments. Why would I not repeat it when it's the main issue?

And as you said, you are not a regular Switch user, which tells the entire picture here.
Piracy is bad. The production/sales of Switches leads to piracy on home brewed Switches. Nintendo should stop selling Switches because Switches leads to piracy. /s

Haven’t we discussed this a 100 times? That Piracy =/= Sales
Yes, obviously in most cases the vast majority of pirate copies made would not translate to sales.

But that doesn't mean that piracy doesn't affect sales at all.

In this case I'm fairly certain that emulation has not taken enough to make a serious dent in sales. Maybe if it starts to work really well on devices like the Steam Deck (does it already) and these devices cannibalize Switch sales.

Bragr

Banned
These are opinions, not arguments. Let alone strong ones.

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF
Nobody likes people who answer things with corny gifs.

Bragr

Banned
Nobody is disagreeing that piracy is bad. Adding Denuvo doesn't just harm them, it harms folks who are legally emulating also. This is the issue I have with it. You are missing the point and assuming that everyone who emulates pirates everything. I got a switch on day one, Played it religiously until Yuzu matured, at which point I could then go back and replay all the games in a much improved manner, to the point now where even new releases are substantially better when emulated vs being played natively on the switch itself. For people like me who still buy physical games and have the option of either settling for the switch natively, or an enchanced experience, why would I choose an inferior one? and why do you have such issue with this? Saying this is "Petty" comes across a like you are a tad jealous that you maybe don't have the resource to do this and are just shitting on people that can for the sake of it. Introducing Denuvo will not curb piracy. It will make things worse for everybody.
I am not assuming that everyone who emulates is pirating, but it's obviously a correlation between the emulation and piracy community. It's the same pipeline.

When people are ripping Switch games and playing on PC/Steam Deck, it hurts the Switch ecosystem. And it's growing, that's why Nintendo is looking at this Denuvo trash, because people think as you.

Your mentality has led to this, not mine.

BlackTron

Well I had a strong preference to play real Switch games running on a real Switch...until now!

This is the actual definition of irony. Doing something to avoid an outcome, which manifests as that very outcome.

Dr.D00p

Why do you think Nintendo is doing this?

Dunno, but maybe if Nintendo didn't act like such cheap cunts, using out of date, off the shelf, well documented silicon for their latest consoles, they wouldn't have to.

All it takes to jump start emulation on the PC is for the silicon involved to have its internal workings already out there, freely circulating on the internet and its like a red rag to a bull for Emulator coders.

Nintendo can't have it both ways if they keep using cheap internals because it maintains their extortionate level profit margin going.

Bragr

Banned
Explain please.
The more people use the system, the more stuff they see in the shop, the more they want. The more likely they are to buy other Nintendo games, subscriptions, and accessories, the more likely it is that other people who come over will play the system, etc... etc...

If people rip their games and migrate to different platforms, they go outside of the Nintendo ecosystem.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Why do you think Nintendo is doing this? The blurb clearly indicates that it is aimed at publishers who put out multiplatform games. If Nintendo pays for this tech in their first party games then you can point the finger at them, but for now it looks like an attempt to add a product for publishers that use their PC DRM that also publish games on Switch.

Nintendo is one of the greediest companies I have ever seen. They abuse DMCA to take down videos that show emulation of their games because they think that emulating games is a crime (even though there is no law that supports this thought). There is not a doubt in my mind that they're going to use this technology in their first-party games, assuming it works. I think the better question is what has Nintendo ever done to make you think they won't implement Denuvo in their own Switch games?

To be clear, I am not trying to Nintendo bash here. Their games are solid. It's the overall actions that the company has taken time and time again that tells me that they are likely to use/abuse this. Yes, every company cares about their bottom dollar. But most companies don't go to the extremes that Nintendo has to take down content that they don't like even though there is no legal issue with the content. Nintendo's legal team works overtime, and always has. This isn't opinion. This is who Nintendo is.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The more people use the system, the more stuff they see in the shop, the more they want. The more likely they are to buy other Nintendo games, subscriptions, and accessories, the more likely it is that other people who come over will play the system, etc... etc...

If people rip their games and migrate to different platforms, they go outside of the Nintendo ecosystem.

That isn't inherently wrong. You're naming a single benefit to Nintendo by not going outside of the Switch platform, but going outside of the platform and not benefiting Nintendo in that way still isn't wrong. You're being extremely pro-corporation and extremely anti-consumer with your posts.

keefged4

But I can still do that. With my Switch. I dont think you are fully understanding this. You sound like a Nintendo employee haha. They are not your friend, they are a business. As far as both me and them are concerned, They have had my money for both the game and console, and that should be the end of it.

How I play the game has nothing to do how Nintendo "thinks" I should play it. Emulation isn't illegal even if in Nintendo's version of reality where they think it is. This is the equivalent of that "STOP HAVING FUN" meme in real life.

SNG32

To me this whole DRM is bullshit. There's two things that Nintendo could do to avoid emulation. 1. Release a new console where the specs are better than they are today. 2. Start releasing games on pc so emulation becomes pointless and make money in the process. I would choose the second option because they can hit the best of both worlds. The people that care about the portability and love nintendo consoles will still buy. The one's who care about performance, graphics and fps have a version to buy. The fact that emulation is providing better performance than the switch console should be an eye opener to Nintendo to think about other options especially if portability is what they chose to go forward with.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This talk isn't going to fool anybody, obviously piracy comes at the cost of some sales.

Again, the only real problem people have with Denuvo is that is actually works to stop piracy (at least for some time), pirates get mad at it and come up with a bunch excuses of why it's not fair.
Define some. DRM companies try to claim nearly all pirated copies are a lost sale. This is utterly absurd. DRM costs money and when there are issues with it, it costs even more. Denuvo stops piracy for months and is either cracked and then removed by the publisher or removed by the publisher when they no longer care to keep paying.

I think all PC gamers should be a bit pissed off by DRM even if it is shown that the performance impacts are negligible because it adds complexity that has zero value to them. This could cause issues and has been known to do so. Why should the customer have to take on this risk to prevent piracy?

I had a very obnoxious experience with DRM. Apple put DRM circuitry in their fucking charging cables and in the phones. When it works, it is benign and just spams a popup saying the cable or attached device is no certified. If this fails in the phone in such a way the phone will refuse to charge with the included cable when it is powered on and running the DRM check, but will charge when it is off showing that the DRM hardware and software implementation broke the ability to charge while on. I had this happen to my wife's brand new phone. It was a huge waste of time and cost us gas as well. This DRM was not for the customer, it was for bullshit greed so they could sell more of their own overpriced proprietary, environmentally irresponsible charging cables.

When I see stories about DRM locking customers out of the game, or games losing 1% frames I think of the cost that paying customers are paying in terms of time lost and performance loss ( that is typically on very expensive hardware that some people spend hours tweaking to get 1% more perf). Why do we have to pay anything for piracy including lost time, lost performance, lost respect as a customer?

And don't get me started on how many hours I have spent on the phone dealing with false fraud detection for my credit cards or the time this bullshit delayed my flooring project by a week. Companies that put loss prevention ahead of customer satisfaction are run by assholes.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Do you really think he's ripping every game? of course he is also pirating. There has never been anyone who "rips" games who hasn't pirated a game.

Using emulators leads to pirate culture, it's a huge issue for Nintendo. And Nintendo produces games so people spend time on their consoles, so people buy subscriptions and accessories for their consoles, and becomes users and fans of their ecosystem.

Excuse me? What a bold an unfounded statement to make. If I'm dumping the cartridge why would I need to pirate? You're off your rocker.

gyG91el.jpg

That is my server rack. It contains my Unraid server as well as my gaming PC. The ASUS drive on the bottom-left is a blu-ray drive with modified firmware so I can rip my 4K HDR movies onto my PC hard drive. I have been ripping and dumping my own content for over a decade.

dmqZpMp.jpg

That is my Unraid dashboard for my server. I have 10 Ironwolf Pro drives that are 10 TB each. Two are parity drives, and the other 8 are where I store my content (movies, music, TV shows, cartridge dumps, ebooks, et cetera).

ds0Jwmb.jpg

That is my modded Nintendo Switch. The hard drive behind it is what I save my dumped games on. I can move that drive between my PC and my Switch and play the games however I prefer.

yaxxEwp.jpg

Those are my four Nintendo Switch Pro controllers.

Bc5pL5L.jpg

That is my Steam profile. I can't prove that I purchased the physical games I own for Nintendo (of which I only have 34), but I can show you the games I have through Steam. And just so you don't think I'm getting grey-market keys:

WKLuo5g.jpg

You get a point for every penny spent in the Steam store. Since January of 2020 I have accumulated over 350,000 points. That means I have spent over $3,500 in the Steam store over the past two and a half years.

So tell me: why would I pirate Nintendo Switch games? I have the resources to dump my own games. I probably purchase more content than you do. My Steam profile shows that I don't pirate PC games even though I could. You're assuming a lot of stuff about my character. I'm not sure why you're so disrespectful, but you need to get off of Nintendo's payroll. They have made thousands of dollars off of me. I can do what I want with my legally purchased games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Excuse me? What a bold an unfounded statement to make. If I'm dumping the cartridge why would I need to pirate? You're off your rocker.

gyG91el.jpg

That is my server rack. It contains my Unraid server as well as my gaming PC. The ASUS drive on the bottom-left is a blu-ray drive with modified firmware so I can rip my 4K HDR movies onto my PC hard drive. I have been ripping and dumping my own content for over a decade.

dmqZpMp.jpg

That is my Unraid dashboard for my server. I have 10 Ironwolf Pro drives that are 10 TB each. Two are parity drives, and the other 8 are where I store my content (movies, music, TV shows, cartridge dumps, ebooks, et cetera).

ds0Jwmb.jpg

That is my modded Nintendo Switch. The hard drive behind it is what I save my dumped games on. I can move that drive between my PC and my Switch and play the games however I prefer.

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

That is my Steam profile. I can't prove that I purchased the physical games I own for Nintendo (of which I only have 34), but I can show you the games I have through Steam. And just so you don't think I'm getting grey-market keys:

WKLuo5g.jpg

You get a point for every penny spent in the Steam store. Since January of 2020 I have accumulated over 350,000 points. That means I have spent over $3,500 in the Steam store over the past two and a half years.

So tell me: why would I pirate Nintendo Switch games? I have the resources to dump my own games. I probably purchase more content than you do. My Steam profile shows that I don't pirate PC games even though I could. You're assuming a lot of stuff about my character. I'm not sure why you're so disrespectful, but you need to get off of Nintendo's payroll. They have made thousands of dollars off of me. I can do what I want with my legally purchased games.

The Simpsons GIF

Guilty_AI

gyG91el.jpg

dmqZpMp.jpg

ds0Jwmb.jpg

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

WKLuo5g.jpg

Cool setup, it stirs up my inner nerd.
It could use some dusting off however (even though i'm the last person who has any right to say this :messenger_poop:)

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
But I can still do that. With my Switch. I dont think you are fully understanding this. You sound like a Nintendo employee haha. They are not your friend, they are a business. As far as both me and them are concerned, They have had my money for both the game and console, and that should be the end of it.

How I play the game has nothing to do how Nintendo "thinks" I should play it. Emulation isn't illegal even if in Nintendo's version of reality where they think it is. This is the equivalent of that "STOP HAVING FUN" meme in real life.
As I said, not being able to enjoy a game without better performance and taking these measures, it's petty.

The point is, Nintendo wouldn't be around as we know it if people acted like this. It's a shortcut, as I said, it's like the snob who brings their own chair to the cinema. It's the reason why we have to deal with Denuvo.

Bragr

Banned
That isn't inherently wrong. You're naming a single benefit to Nintendo by not going outside of the Switch platform, but going outside of the platform and not benefiting Nintendo in that way still isn't wrong. You're being extremely pro-corporation and extremely anti-consumer with your posts.
You want them to put their games on github too?

You are looking at the little picture

You are frustrated that Nintendo isn't doing what you want and aligning with how you play games. While the Switch is using old tech, it's using that tech for important reasons. If you can't play Nintendo games without having peak performance, then go play something else. Because this emulation/ripping culture is only gonna lead to more restrictions for people who use it the normal way, as this very story proves. Nintendo makes stuff for their devices, and they are gonna take action if people hack that. Which everyone would.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As I said, not being able to enjoy a game without better performance and taking these measures, it's petty.

The point is, Nintendo wouldn't be around as we know it if people acted like this. It's a shortcut, as I said, it's like the snob who brings their own chair to the cinema. It's the reason why we have to deal with Denuvo.

People have been emulating Nintendo games since the early 90's. Three decades later, Nintendo is not even close to being on the verge of a collapse.

You want them to put their games on github too?

You are looking at the little picture

You are frustrated that Nintendo isn't doing what you want and aligning with how you play games. While the Switch is using old tech, it's using that tech for important reasons. If you can't play Nintendo games without having peak performance, then go play something else. Because this emulation/ripping culture is only gonna lead to more restrictions for people who use it the normal way, as this very story proves. Nintendo makes stuff for their devices, and they are gonna take action if people hack that. Which everyone would.

I'm not sharing the games I dump. Piracy isn't legal. I have no issues with calling out piracy. What I take issue with is that you're saying I can't enjoy the things that I own the way I want to enjoy them. You don't like it? Then don't do it. But get off of your high-horse and stop telling everyone that they're terrible people for doing something in a way that you don't like. As has been said by several other posters (myself included), you sound like a Nintendo employee. If you're not an employee then you're a raging fanboy, and that's honestly worse.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

gyG91el.jpg

dmqZpMp.jpg

ds0Jwmb.jpg

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

WKLuo5g.jpg

You would pirate Switch games because you get them for free, or you get to try them for free before buying them.

Do you think you leave a good impression when you mod your consoles and rip your games on this scale?

I have no idea what you do with your games, and frankly, I don't care, but I stand by my point that it's pretty anal and petty to go to these lengths to bypass the intended system just because you can't play games normally. I can perfectly understand why Nintendo would want to stop this. And even if you do buy everything, it's just too many who don't.

Guilty_AI

Sounds like a problem with nintendo's business model, rather than a problem with users. If a Cinema only has very unconfortable and broken chairs, we might just end up with people bringing in their own chairs. Its the service's fault.

You are frustrated that Nintendo isn't doing what you want and aligning with how you play games.
Of course he is frustrated, or he wouldn't go the extra mile. Again, all your complaints are issues with nintendo's business model. In case you forgot, business models are supposed to serve the costumer and not the other way around.

Because this emulation/ripping culture is only gonna lead to more restrictions for people who use it the normal way,
Thats your opinion, not a fact. Wanna hear my opinion? Nintendo wouldn't be nearly as popular today without this very emulation culture, and even piracy. Because every single nintendo fan i know became their fans by playing their old stuff on emulators as kids/teens. Then went on to become real paying costumers when they grew up.

I have no idea what you do with your games, and frankly, I don't care,
You clearly care. A lot.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
People have been emulating Nintendo games since the early 90's. Three decades later, Nintendo is not even close to being on the verge of a collapse.

I'm not sharing the games I dump. Piracy isn't legal. I have no issues with calling out piracy. What I take issue with is that you're saying I can't enjoy the things that I own the way I want to enjoy them. You don't like it? Then don't do it. But get off of your high-horse and stop telling everyone that they're terrible people for doing something in a way that you don't like. As has been said by several other posters (myself included), you sound like a Nintendo employee. If you're not an employee then you're a raging fanboy, and that's honestly worse.
Emulating older games is different because the financial dependencies are gone and a lot of those games are lost.

I am no big Nintendo fan, I just call out bullshit when I see it. I wanna eat McDonald's on the roof of the shop, but I don't go ballistic and build a ladder outside because I can't eat it my way.

Bragr

Banned
Sounds like a problem with nintendo's business model, rather than a problem with users. If a Cinema only has very unconfortable and broken chairs, we might just end up with people bringing in their own chairs. Its the service's fault.

Of course he is frustrated, or he wouldn't go the extra mile. Again, all your complaints are issues with nintendo's business model. In case you forgot, business models are supposed to serve the costumer and not the other way around.

Thats your opinion, not a fact. Wanna hear my opinion? Nintendo wouldn't be nearly as popular today without this very emulation culture, and even piracy. Because every single nintendo fan i know became their fans by playing their old stuff on emulators as kids/teens. Then went on to become real paying costumers when they grew up.

You clearly care. A lot.
And you clearly care about me.

Nintendo doesn't have broken chairs/systems whatever.

Nintendo's business model? Do you mean they should release 800-dollar portable consoles as powerful as the PS5 and die within 2 years so you two can play 4K games?

The emulation of old games vs new games is not comparable. This is happening because of all the Steam Deck Switch emulation that has been making the rounds recently.

ViolentP

Games and consoles are nothing more than access to licenses. If you own a Switch and a Switch game, you should be free to run it on any device you want. If it upsets you that people are doing this with your favorite company's products, then get a new hobby.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Emulating older games is different because the financial dependencies are gone and a lot of those games are lost.

I am no big Nintendo fan, I just call out bullshit when I see it. I wanna eat McDonald's on the roof of the shop, but I don't go ballistic and build a ladder outside because I can't eat it my way.

The first N64 emulator was made in 1998. The last N64 game released was in 2002.
The first Nintendo DS emulator was made in 2004. The last Nintendo DS game released was in 2014.
The first Nintendo Wii emulator was made in 2007. The last Nintendo Wii game released was in 2020.
The first Nintendo Wii-U emulator was made in 2015. The last Nintendo Wii-U game released was in 2022.

Fail harder.

Guilty_AI

Nintendo doesn't have broken chairs/systems whatever.
Oh, they definitely have.
Nintendo's business model? Do you mean they should release 800-dollar portable consoles as powerful as the PS5 and die within 2 years so you two can play 4K games?
How do you know it'd cost 800 dollars? How do you know it'd die within two years? You don't need ultra powerful hardware to run switch games at a much better performance and resolution. The 400-500 dollar, and fairly successful, Steam Deck can do just that, through a layer of emulation even.

Last edited:

keefged4

Okay Sir Buz Killington. We'll stop having fun. I promise I wont take my Steam Deck to a McDonald's roof and play Xenoblade 3 on it. Promise.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gotta love the paranoia of Devs, worrying they'll lose measurable revenue to the 0.0001% of the Switch audience, playing on PC via emulation.
My understanding is that Denuvo is specifically marketing this to 3rd party developers who are simultaneously releasing the same game on both PC and Switch.

Their elevator pitch is "So - you've already invested in Denuvo for protecting your PC release, but since you're also releasing on the Switch you want to make sure people won't just pirate and play the Switch version of your game on their PC as a way of bypassing the PC DRM."

Bragr

Banned
The first N64 emulator was made in 1998. The last N64 game released was in 2002.
The first Nintendo DS emulator was made in 2004. The last Nintendo DS game released was in 2014.
The first Nintendo Wii emulator was made in 2007. The last Nintendo Wii game released was in 2020.
The first Nintendo Wii-U emulator was made in 2015. The last Nintendo Wii-U game released was in 2022.

Fail harder.
And at that time, all of those were just as wrong as emulating Switch games now.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Oh, they definitely have.

How do you know it'd cost 800 dollars? How do you know it'd die within two years? You don't need ultra powerful hardware to run switch games at a much better performance and resolution. The 400-500 dollar, and fairly successful, Steam Deck can do just that, through a layer of emulation even.
What exactly do you define as a broken system?

Nintendo exists because they make hardware that isn't sold at the losses the other big competitors do. They are more vulnerable and don't have the same deep pockets and other businesses to lean on.

Steam Deck works because people buy Steam games on it and spend money in the Steam ecosystem, but they had major issues with the pricing and are not making money on hardware sales. Nintendo can't play those high-end games, they tried following that line with the N64, Gamecube, and the Wii-U and failed. They need smart more affordable tech in their devices, that focuses on different aspects than others so they don't have to go head-to-head with the other big companies. If the Switch was high-end, Nintendo would have to charge far more per system to keep afloat, and if they started to lose money they would likely fold as a major console producer, they were in a terrible situation after the Wii-U.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
And that the time, all of those were just as wrong as emulating Switch games now.

Your personal opinion aside, my post was proving that emulation has not caused the downfall of Nintendo in the decades that it has been going on. This was what you originally said about emulation:

The point is, Nintendo wouldn't be around as we know it if people acted like this.

I stated that emulation has been occurring for almost three decades, and then you responded with this:

So then I proved that even with the older Nintendo generations emulation was occurring while Nintendo was still financially dependent on the game/hardware sales. This disproves your point. Nintendo isn't even close to going under despite emulation for current-gen games/consoles occurring for nearly three decades. Hop off of that Nintendo teat, man.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned

Those games are lost, and in that we have an argument for preservation, which will be up against another layer of bloated fuck-around DRM. It's all because format shifting your content is deemed taboo by retarded zealots who hate emulation and defend closed, limited hardware options with no right to repair or consumer liberty behind them.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah.
All this study says is that game piracy doesn't have the same effect as other media in a few very specific areas 10 years ago.

It's 7 years since it was published and the data is likely from the end of the 360/PS3 era, and piracy is different now than then, as are services and how that impacts sales.

And it says nothing about how piracy hurt potential customers of subscription services, which is one of the lead revenue drivers of today.

It also does not distinguish how people purchase games, it only counts "first-hand". For example, piracy hurts new games the most, so if the pirates refuse to buy new expensive games, which is usually the case, it still hurts no matter if they buy a few games on sale.

Bragr

Banned
Those games are lost, and in that we have an argument for preservation, which will be up against another layer of bloated fuck-around DRM. It's all because format shifting your content is deemed taboo by retarded zealots who hate emulation and defend closed, limited hardware options with no right to repair or consumer liberty behind them.
No, I don't defend limited hardware options. That's just the sort of argument you guys put on people so you can strengthen your case, you have to blame people for hating liberty and consumers because it's the only way to attack people because your points are too weak.

Playing Switch games on older res is nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be.

Bragr

Banned
Your personal opinion aside, my post was proving that emulation has not caused the downfall of Nintendo in the decades that it has been going on. This was what you originally said about emulation:

I stated that emulation has been occurring for almost three decades, and then you responded with this:

So then I proved that even with the older Nintendo generations emulation was occurring while Nintendo was still financially dependent on the game/hardware sales. This disproves your point. Nintendo isn't even close to going under despite emulation for current-gen games/consoles occurring for nearly three decades. Hop off of that Nintendo teat, man.
I didn't say that emulation was gonna be the downfall of Nintendo, I said if everyone just emulates their games, Nintendo would be a different company altogether.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I didn't say that emulation was gonna be the downfall of Nintendo, I said if everyone just emulates their games, Nintendo would be a different company altogether.
Then you'll be pleased to know that emulation isn't this mainstream daily thing everyone on earth does, and this scenario could only happen in your fictional apocalyptic scenario where everybody is a pirate.

Most people can't even drag and drop a rom file into a window, let alone find actual sources for pirated nintendo games

IFireflyl

Gold Member

If everyone bought bought only a PS5 and no other console then Nintendo would be a different company altogether. See? I can also make stupid statements that are technically true even though that won't ever be the case. You're a fanboy, and the worst kind.

Top Bottom