• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo launches new technology to prevent Switch emulation

Bragr

Banned
And i was talking a smaller company delivering a much better product for a price much more reasonable than the one you suggested. Read again.
Steam Deck is an extension of the Steam storefront, Nintendo's proposition doesn't belong in the same universe.

Guilty_AI

Steam Deck is an extension of the Steam storefront, Nintendo's proposition doesn't belong in the same universe.
The whole point of any mainstream console business is to sell games, not consoles, nintendo included.
In fact even more than the Steam Deck, since the Steam Deck is just a pc and isn't limited to Steam as its storefront, unlike the Switch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Look at the topic genius. It's a thread about Nintendo trying to halt emulation.
Please, go and ask your coworkers about if they use yuzu or ryujinx, and try counting how many of them actually respond with something that isn't "I don't know what that is" or "what?"
Actually, ask random people on the street instead. That will TOTALLY get you better results /s

Bragr

Banned
If everyone bought bought only a PS5 and no other console then Nintendo would be a different company altogether. See? I can also make stupid statements that are technically true even though that won't ever be the case. You're a fanboy, and the worst kind.
The difference here is that you are using Nintendo products. It's not the same thing.

Bragr

Banned
Please, go and ask your coworkers about if they use yuzu or ryujinx, and try counting how many of them actually respond with something that isn't "I don't know what that is" or "what?"
Actually, ask random people on the street instead. That will TOTALLY get you better results /s
What? what are you talking about. Just because people don't know about emulation doesn't mean it can't be an issue.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What? what are you talking about. Just because people don't know about emulation doesn't mean it can't be an issue.
If people ( by which I mean the massive hyper causal switch market ) have no clue about emulation, how is it this big thing we NEED to fix at all costs. Not enough paying costumers know about it for it to actually eat into nintendos profits and the amount ot paying Nintendo customers that exist judging by the switches insane sales is massive. It's all just cope from a big company who hate that other people out there are offering the exact same service they do, but cheaper and better

Bragr

Banned
The whole point of any mainstream console business is to sell games, not consoles, nintendo included.
In fact even more than the Steam Deck, since the Steam Deck is just a pc and isn't limited to Steam as its storefront, unlike the Switch.
You need to sell a certain amount of consoles to sell enough games. Sony, Xbox, and Nintendo all need to push consoles. Nintendo is more vulnerable to this than Xbox or Playstation without the same third-party support. If the Switch was more expensive, the risk would be too high for a failure. Sony and Xbox are willing to leverage different terms and take more risks. They produce expensive high-end machines and hope that the subscriptions and games sold will cover them. But if they fail, it might be game over, because the risk is so massive. Even Microsoft was very close to ending Xbox after the failure of Xbox One.

I remember in the Wii-U days, the number of people expecting Nintendo to turn into a handheld company was pretty big.

Steam for most people is a portable steam store, so Valve is betting on users to splurge on the store at least a few times to cover their costs.

Bragr

Banned
It's all just cope from a big company who hate that other people out there are offering the exact same service they do
They don't though, Nintendo offers Nintendo games, and it's a unique brand they are keeping close to their vest. Of course, they don't want other platforms to access this. They want people to see Nintendo games and think the Switch is the only way to get it.

Guilty_AI

You need to sell a certain amount of consoles to sell enough games. Sony, Xbox, and Nintendo all need to push consoles. Nintendo is more vulnerable to this than Xbox or Playstation without the same third-party support. If the Switch was more expensive, the risk would be too high for a failure. Sony and Xbox are willing to leverage different terms and take more risks. They produce expensive high-end machines and hope that the subscriptions and games sold will cover them. But if they fail, it might be game over, because the risk is so massive. Even Microsoft was very close to ending Xbox after the failure of Xbox One.
A: Switch has weaker third party support because their console is weaker. If devs go to the trouble of porting The Witcher 3 and even release Crysis remastered alongside the other consoles on a hardware this underpowered, you can bet your ass other devs would do the same if it was easier to do the ports.

B: I was talking about a "pro" version alongside a standard cheap version of the console. For people who want better performance/resolution and are willing to pay more, like the ones emulating their games.

C: Xbox One wasn't a failure. It wasn't as successful as the competition but it was still plenty profitable to MS.

D: Once again. READ THE ARTICLE. Nintendo has nothing to do with this DRM.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The difference here is that you are using Nintendo products. It's not the same thing.

No shit, Sherlock. This is what you said:

I didn't say that emulation was gonna be the downfall of Nintendo, I said if everyone just emulates their games, Nintendo would be a different company altogether.

I made a statement that was just as stupid as your statement, because neither of those things are currently occurring and the risk of either of those things occurring in the future is almost zero. You're making idiotic statements, and I made an equally idiotic statement on purpose to show you how idiotic your statements were.

Tams

Gold Member
I am not assuming that everyone who emulates is pirating, but it's obviously a correlation between the emulation and piracy community. It's the same pipeline.

When people are ripping Switch games and playing on PC/Steam Deck, it hurts the Switch ecosystem. And it's growing, that's why Nintendo is looking at this Denuvo trash, because people think as you.

Your mentality has led to this, not mine.
Mate, where ia your evidence that Nintendo are looking at this DRM rubbish?

This is a company that sells PC DRM software trying to expand their market.

PhaseJump

Banned
No, I don't defend limited hardware options. That's just the sort of argument you guys put on people so you can strengthen your case, you have to blame people for hating liberty and consumers because it's the only way to attack people because your points are too weak.

Playing Switch games on older res is nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be.

Lost access to content is the threat, and you predicated that argument. The point that emulation preserves games, DRM is detrimental to that purpose, and to performance of software is general is not weak.

You can say you're not against consumers all you want, but your arguments are clearly anticonsumer. You're whining about piracy and emulation. Two different things.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Mate, where ia your evidence that Nintendo are looking at this DRM rubbish?

This is a company that sells PC DRM software trying to expand their market.

Nintendo didn't come up with this, but I would be shocked if they didn't test this on some of their first-party games. That's just based on Nintendo's track record and how they feel about the emulation scene. Having said that, it is possible that they might test it internally and find it causes too many issues to put it in place for their first-party games.

Update, 8/25/22, 9:17 a.m. ET: A spokesperson for Denuvo confirmed in an email to Kotaku that Nintendo is not involved in the new Switch DRM initiative and that it was developed in response to demand from existing clients.

“Because of NDAs, we are not allowed to disclose company names, but we can say this solution comes from strong demand from publishing partners,” the spokesperson wrote. They also claimed it would not hurt “in-game” performance. “Software publishers and Denuvo take great care to deliver the best gaming experience,” the spokesperson wrote. “The protection is designed not to affect the gamer’s experience, and it does not have any in-game performance impact. It is the same for this new solution when protection is only active in non-performance critical code parts.”

Update, 8/25/22, 2:06 p.m. ET: In response to follow-up questions, Denuvo confirmed that the DRM won’t rely on online checks. “We are aware that the Nintendo Switch is a mobile console and therefore has limited online capabilities, so we designed our solution to be fully offline, no online checks required,” a spokesperson wrote back.

They also confirmed the DRM would restrict use of legally purchased games with Switch emulators on PC:
As you know, dumping your bought game for backup purposes is a long-standing argument from pirates that is simply used to justify piracy. The majority of players use emulators with ROMs from pirate sources and are not self-dumped. And if they dump it themselves, they will require a jailbroken console to do that.
Source: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-botw-emulator-pc-piracy-denuvo-drm-1849451287

.Pennywise .Pennywise , you might update the OP with this info if you deem it important enough. It provides a small amount of clarity.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Nintendo didn't come up with this, but I would be shocked if they didn't test this on some of their first-party games. That's just based on Nintendo's track record and how they feel about the emulation scene. Having said that, it is possible that they might test it internally and find it causes too many issues to put it in place for their first-party games.

Source: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-botw-emulator-pc-piracy-denuvo-drm-1849451287

.Pennywise .Pennywise , you might update the OP with this info if you deem it important enough. It provides a small amount of clarity.

Until someone can provide evidence that they have though, why should we be getting all worked up and angry over this?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Until someone can provide evidence that they have though, why should we be getting all worked up and angry over this?

This is the internet. Isn't that what we're supposed to do?

chanel west coast page GIF

SumJester

the only real problem people have with Denuvo is that is actually works to stop piracy (at least for some time), pirates get mad at it and come up with a bunch excuses of why it's not fair.
I had a couple hiccups on games I bought on Steam because of this crap and also had problem starting one game after some time because it wasn't connecting to their servers properly.

By the way, tell your buddies at Irdeto i said hi.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I had a couple hiccups on games I bought on Steam because of this crap and also had problem starting one game after some time because it wasn't connecting to their servers properly.

Not that this makes everything better, but apparently Irdeto confirmed that the Nintendo Switch version of Denuvo won't use online checks since the Nintendo Switch is a mobile device and won't always have access to an internet connection.

Banned
Excuse me? What a bold an unfounded statement to make. If I'm dumping the cartridge why would I need to pirate? You're off your rocker.

gyG91el.jpg

That is my server rack. It contains my Unraid server as well as my gaming PC. The ASUS drive on the bottom-left is a blu-ray drive with modified firmware so I can rip my 4K HDR movies onto my PC hard drive. I have been ripping and dumping my own content for over a decade.

dmqZpMp.jpg

That is my Unraid dashboard for my server. I have 10 Ironwolf Pro drives that are 10 TB each. Two are parity drives, and the other 8 are where I store my content (movies, music, TV shows, cartridge dumps, ebooks, et cetera).

ds0Jwmb.jpg

That is my modded Nintendo Switch. The hard drive behind it is what I save my dumped games on. I can move that drive between my PC and my Switch and play the games however I prefer.

yaxxEwp.jpg

Those are my four Nintendo Switch Pro controllers.

Bc5pL5L.jpg

That is my Steam profile. I can't prove that I purchased the physical games I own for Nintendo (of which I only have 34), but I can show you the games I have through Steam. And just so you don't think I'm getting grey-market keys:

WKLuo5g.jpg

You get a point for every penny spent in the Steam store. Since January of 2020 I have accumulated over 350,000 points. That means I have spent over $3,500 in the Steam store over the past two and a half years.

So tell me: why would I pirate Nintendo Switch games? I have the resources to dump my own games. I probably purchase more content than you do. My Steam profile shows that I don't pirate PC games even though I could. You're assuming a lot of stuff about my character. I'm not sure why you're so disrespectful, but you need to get off of Nintendo's payroll. They have made thousands of dollars off of me. I can do what I want with my legally purchased games.

JESUS BRUCE ALMIGHTY...
holy shit GIF

daveonezero

Banned
Excuse me? What a bold an unfounded statement to make. If I'm dumping the cartridge why would I need to pirate? You're off your rocker.

gyG91el.jpg

That is my server rack. It contains my Unraid server as well as my gaming PC. The ASUS drive on the bottom-left is a blu-ray drive with modified firmware so I can rip my 4K HDR movies onto my PC hard drive. I have been ripping and dumping my own content for over a decade.

dmqZpMp.jpg

That is my Unraid dashboard for my server. I have 10 Ironwolf Pro drives that are 10 TB each. Two are parity drives, and the other 8 are where I store my content (movies, music, TV shows, cartridge dumps, ebooks, et cetera).

ds0Jwmb.jpg

That is my modded Nintendo Switch. The hard drive behind it is what I save my dumped games on. I can move that drive between my PC and my Switch and play the games however I prefer.

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

That is my Steam profile. I can't prove that I purchased the physical games I own for Nintendo (of which I only have 34), but I can show you the games I have through Steam. And just so you don't think I'm getting grey-market keys:

WKLuo5g.jpg

You get a point for every penny spent in the Steam store. Since January of 2020 I have accumulated over 350,000 points. That means I have spent over $3,500 in the Steam store over the past two and a half years.

So tell me: why would I pirate Nintendo Switch games? I have the resources to dump my own games. I probably purchase more content than you do. My Steam profile shows that I don't pirate PC games even though I could. You're assuming a lot of stuff about my character. I'm not sure why you're so disrespectful, but you need to get off of Nintendo's payroll. They have made thousands of dollars off of me. I can do what I want with my legally purchased games.
Based setup

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Fuz

Banned

gyG91el.jpg

dmqZpMp.jpg

ds0Jwmb.jpg

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

WKLuo5g.jpg

You have my respect.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Look at these crazy people still thinking Nintendo gonna put this on their games when this is Denuvo trying to sell their shit to third party developers 😂

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You know your product is shit when almost everyone starts dogpiling Nintendo like they're the ones responsible.

There has been a huge backlash about this in the normie circles. I dare any third party developer to be the first to use this now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

gyG91el.jpg

dmqZpMp.jpg

ds0Jwmb.jpg

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

WKLuo5g.jpg

You are a chad and why I love the gaming community.

Fuck pirates, glory to folks like us who actually dump content we bought.

Ozriel

M$FT

gyG91el.jpg

dmqZpMp.jpg

ds0Jwmb.jpg

yaxxEwp.jpg

Bc5pL5L.jpg

WKLuo5g.jpg

Jaw legit dropped at 10 X 10TB drives.

Totally badass setup

BlackTron

Nintendo is one of the greediest companies I have ever seen. They abuse DMCA to take down videos that show emulation of their games because they think that emulating games is a crime (even though there is no law that supports this thought). There is not a doubt in my mind that they're going to use this technology in their first-party games, assuming it works. I think the better question is what has Nintendo ever done to make you think they won't implement Denuvo in their own Switch games?

To be clear, I am not trying to Nintendo bash here. Their games are solid. It's the overall actions that the company has taken time and time again that tells me that they are likely to use/abuse this. Yes, every company cares about their bottom dollar. But most companies don't go to the extremes that Nintendo has to take down content that they don't like even though there is no legal issue with the content. Nintendo's legal team works overtime, and always has. This isn't opinion. This is who Nintendo is.

It's the same story since people were herding sheep. The people who create all the actual value tend to be better than the people who manage that value.

Nintendo's brilliant game development people and their Yakuza overlords must be seen as different entities.

Challenge Accepted.

You can't have selective perservation.

I rather play on the Gameboy if it meant I got to play the game as it was meant to be played.
I hope you never paid for any of those Arcade Archives then. Or basically any game compilation.

They need smart more affordable tech in their devices, that focuses on different aspects than others so they don't have to go head-to-head with the other big companies. If the Switch was high-end, Nintendo would have to charge far more per system to keep afloat, and if they started to lose money they would likely fold as a major console producer, they were in a terrible situation after the Wii-U.
For once you are right and this is exactly why Dunnowhat is bad for a portable console used mainly by kids.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol Denuvo knows this shit will get cracked anyways but they hope Nintendo will bite on that offer 🤑
I don’t think they need Nintendos permission. They will just sell it to big third party publishers per game as usual.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't really care for either party in this one.

Denuvo is trash. But emulating the Switch when it's still a current console is also what ruins emulation for everyone else--those of us that use it to keep around entire generations of prior games that would otherwise be nearly impossible to play in their original form.

Kataploom

Gold Member
And thanks to clickbait YouTubers everyone think Nintendo is to blame... Heck, I don't even think devs will dare to include it in their games due to the bad reception it already got, even Id Software removed Denuvo anti-cheat from Doom Eternals due to backslash like few days after including it

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great! Less theft is always good. Bad thing would be the good guys would suffer from slightly shackled performance by it.

coffinbirth

You can't have selective perservation.
Huh? These games aren't running natively in Windows. This is about using DirectX, driver support, etc. for the emulation. Nobody over there is taking away Windows, and those versions existed before the inception of these emulators, and actively run the games worse...not sure what you are trying to say here.

Top Bottom