• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite strong sales, Days Gone Steam numbers half those of Horizon Zero Dawn

sandbood

Banned
Yes and so is Jedi Fallen Order, Sekiro. Metro Exodus, Death stranding, etc. Steam Spy had HZD at 2-5mil sales months ago, and HZD sold 700k in its frist week.
Taking into account that HZD is also on other launchers like Epic, i think its fair to say it will be around 4-5mil by now.
Even using the old 'number of reviews times 50' tactic of working out sales has HZD at 2.5mil (50k reviews times 50), and when a game has 'very positive' reviews, the number you usually use is close to 100 times reviews, as less people post a review for a good game.
Also AC Odyssey has been estimated to of sold around 9-10mil copies on Steam, and has 100k reviews, compared to 50k reviews for HZD.

Obviosuly these are just age old techniques of estimating sales on Steam, but either way its pretty obvious that HZD has sold in the millions on Steam alone.
Steamspy is totally unreliable in estimating the exact figures of sales numbers.

Let's take a look at another example by comparing peak concurrent players with Death Stranding.

Death Stranding all time peak CC users = 32K and made around 23M revenue which is around ~400K copies sold if we're using $60 pricepoint. On Steamspy Death Stranding is estimating to be around 1-2M owners which is far from reporting sales numbers by 505.
EyXSQ9AWYAY3Vda

Horizon Zero Dawn all time peak CC users = 50K and Steamspy estimation = 1-2M (I don't know where you get 5M estimation numbers from)

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably in 700K-800K ranged based on sales tier number and all time peak CC users.

Stuart360

Steamspy is totally unreliable in estimating the exact figures of sales numbers.

Let's take a look at another example by comparing peak concurrent players with Death Stranding.

Death Stranding all time peak CC users = 32K and made around 23M revenue which is around ~400K copies sold if we're using $60 pricepoint. On Steamspy Death Stranding is estimating to be around 1-2M owners which is far from reporting sales numbers by 505.
EyXSQ9AWYAY3Vda

Horizon Zero Dawn all time peak CC users = 50K and Steamspy estimation = 1-2M (I don't know where you get 5M estimation numbers from)

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably in 700K-800K ranged based on sales tier number and all time peak CC users.
Dude it sold 700k in its first month (i said week, but i meant month). And thats not including the other launchers like Epic etc.
Besides its all academic now as Sony just announced it was a huge hit for them on PC (check the threads about the presentation they just did). 250% ROI i think they said.

Last edited:
PCMR put your money where your mouth is or stop port begging, what you waiting for steam sales at 10$?

They rarely spend full price, but would scalp a graphics card for $1000-3000 in a blink of an eye. They play hardware bragging, not games. Then when you ask about their games it's mostly indies and cringy games.

W5nDadZ.gif

Or maybe we're not braindead consumer wh*res and brand slaves. Certainly PC gamers are not Sony's lapdogs!
Maybe if Sony stop treating PC as second class consumers, they would also have more supporters.

Why would I immediately pay full price for a game that was released for console two years ago and is now being reheated for the PC crowd?
Plenty of games to play right now, I might pick it up in a sale at a later date. There's so many games coming out for PC, we really don't need to be so thirsty for a couple of exclusives.

After two years, a couple of months more won't make a difference.
Sony certainly were not impatient to get my money, so why should I be eager to spend it?

Last edited:

Alphagear

😂😂😂😂 Bru u stupid af
You are right I am stupid.

30,000 is a great figure for PCMR standards. Congrats.

You port beg for Playstation games then we see these figures.

Embarrassing.

Like I said, Sony are wasting their time and resources for an insignificant market. You want Sony games simply to sooth your egos after spending thousands on a rig. Buying and playing them is another matter. Probably on a budget after blowing your entire bank balance on a rig. Bet most are playing this game pirated or waiting for it to be on sale.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

Embarrassing.

Like I said, Sony are wasting their time and resources for an insignificant market. You want Sony games simply to sooth your egos after spending thousands on a rig. Buying and playing them is another matter. Probably on a budget after blowing your entire bank balance on a rig. Bet most are playing this game pirated or waiting for it to be on sale.
Bro are u really this fucking dumb?

Get your head out of the multimillion dollar corporations ass bro

Last edited:

Sentenza

You are telling me the sales numbers are drastically different for a game released 9 days ago? You are having a laugh.
Are you literally mentally challenged?
Even at the PEAK of its popularity at launch window, on average the number of CONCURRENT players on any given game rarely approaches the 20% of the user base, and more often than not it's closer to the 10%.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Bro are u really this fucking dumb?

Get your head out of the multimillion dollar corporations ass bro

I couldn't care less for Sony or any other Corporation. Just stating an opinion.

I find it embarrassing after all the port begging here by the PCMR these are the figures we get.

Waste of time. Port the exclusives to XBOX/Switch and you would probably get more success.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Are you literally mentally challenged?
Even at the PEAK of its popularity at launch window, on average the number of CONCURRENT players on any given game rarely approaches the 20% of the user base, and more often than not it's closer to the 10%.

Yes sure.

300,000 people purchased this game only for 30,000 to be playing it in that time frame.

Embarrassing.

tX3eAJj.png

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So? Horizon reviewed better and is a better game. Days Gone is not as appealing to the mass market. Is the ratio of sales on PC similar to that on PS4?

lucius

On PlayStation wasn’t it like half of what Horizon sold on PlayStation so not that surprising PC sales, was hoping it sell really good on PC and we just get a sequel but maybe not. Death Stranding I had a feeling would do good on PC because the sim like experience.

Just picked this up on the PC, my goodness, this game looks amazing. Runs flawlessly at max settings and ultrawide. Frankly, I’m blown away by the foliage density and weather system. Definitely digging into this one.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
W5nDadZ.gif

Or maybe we're not braindead consumer wh*res and brand slaves. Certainly PC gamers are not Sony's lapdogs!
Maybe if Sony stop treating PC as second class consumers, they would also have more supporters.

Why would I immediately pay full price for a game that was released for console two years ago and is now being reheated for the PC crowd?
Plenty of games to play right now, I might pick it up in a sale at a later date. There's so many games coming out for PC, we really don't need to be so thirsty for a couple of exclusives.

After two years, a couple of months more won't make a difference.
Sony certainly were not impatient to get my money, so why should I be eager to spend it?

Also valid points, but you know why they treat PC as second class because you need the consumers to be spending all kinds of money inside your ecosystem. Most PC gamers are Steam gamers even when MS have made Xbox fully available for them with cross-buy, they're mostly Steam's lapdogs much worse than any and refuse to even download free launchers that cost them nothing extra.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Yes sure.

300,000 people purchased this game only for 30,000 to be playing it in that time frame.
That ratio would be basically the norm for ACTIVE games. It gets worse for unpopular ones.
Do you know about those things called "timezones"? People having jobs/other things to do? Do you know a significant portion of people purchasing games often don't even play them for days or weeks?

Alphagear

That ratio would be basically the norm for ACTIVE games. It gets worse for unpopular ones.
Do you know about those things called "timezones"? People having jobs/other things to do? Do you know a significant portion of people purchasing games often don't even play them for days or weeks?

270,000 not playing this atm. Just bought it full price for it to rot. Come on now.

Yes I agree the true sales will be higher but not to the extent you think. After all the Hoo-ha from PC gamers wanting Sony exclusives these figures are pretty dismal. Sony would be better off releasing for rival consoles.

I couldn't care less for Sony or any other Corporation. Just stating an opinion.

I find it embarrassing after all the port begging here by the PCMR these are the figures we get.

Waste of time. Port the exclusives to XBOX/Switch and you would probably get more success.
The only serious port begging I've seen is for Bloodborne, and that game would probably outsell the PS4 on PC.

Fake

HZD and Days Gone are basically the same games.

lol

The only serious port begging I've seen is for Bloodborne, and that game would probably outsell the PS4 on PC.

Is funny I keep seeing this from PC port beggers, but Bloodborne sold less than HZD on PC.

Don't make any sense people bring HZD sales on PC to justifice HZD beat Days Gone, but keep dennying HZD beat Bloodborne as well, so by the logic Bloodborne would sell even less on PC.

You guys really need to use the brain more time if you guys want to do a proper port begg.

Last edited:

Sentenza

270,000 not playing this atm. Just bought it full price for it to rot. Come on now.

Yes I agree the true sales will be higher but not to the extent you think. After all the Hoo-ha from PC gamers wanting Sony exclusives these figures are pretty dismal. Sony would be better off releasing for rival consoles.
Jesus Christ, are you doing it on purpose?
Fine, explain to me Valheim having almost 7 million copies sold and yet barely reaching 500K concurrent users (which is a freaking lot, anyway) according to your theory.

ripeavocado

Banned
Concurrent players doesn't mean much for non live games.

Days Gone has more than 5000 reviews in a week and that's a good number.

Sadly this game has been ruined by poor marketing, the theme similarities with TLOU and the hateful stupid opinions of journalists that didn't like the game because "reasons" that have nothing to do with its quality.

It's a great game though, much better than HZD.

Last edited:
lol

Is funny I keep seeing this from PC port beggers, but Bloodborne sold less than HZD on PC.

Don't make any sense people bring HZD sales on PC to justifice HZD beat Days Gone, but keep dennying HZD beat Bloodborne as well, so by the logic Bloodborne would sell even less on PC.

You guys really need to use the brain more time if you guys want to do a proper port begg.
Cringe Reaction GIF

This reads like someone trying really hard to be edgy or cool. Bragging about torrenting, looks like we got a bad ass over here.
Not really, i buy games i like and games with online components, i also sub to gamepass on both pc and xbox, I bought MH Rise not long ago. I dont see why i should pay full price for a half assed port.

Stupid of me to think i would even like Horizon, i can not immerse myself with Female MC, had the same problem with Control, gunplay and physics was fantastic, but could not play it until the end due to the story and female narrative.

I will play through Days Gone eventually, its one of the few ps4 exclusives i did not play before selling the system, and one i find looks interesting

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Actually BB is the type of game that really attracts the PC crowd, who is simply way more patient and loves the trial&error type of games. Horizon on the other hand, it just another Ubi-like open world game, it was something quite fresh when it launched, but today it feels more like a copy of a copy of a copy, the market is now completely flooded with open-world titles each year, as oppose to when the game was launching, when the gen was just taking off.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Concurrent users doesn't mean much. Sony should think about day and date releases, a game like Horizon Forbidden West launching on PS5/PC/PS4 would do 20 million by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Sophist

games sales and concurrent players dont work like that, what a moronic comparsion.
i have never said anything about sales. but concurrent players tell you about how a game is popular.
It does show that a game released six years ago and has already been on numerous deals is still more popular than Days Gone which just got released.
More people are playing witcher 3 now than days gone at any moment since it's release.
Mass effect legendary edition has 2x the players of days gone.

Last edited:

Fake

Actually BB is the type of game that really attracts the PC crowd, who is simply way more patient and loves the trial&error type of games. Horizon on the other hand, it just another Ubi-like open world game, it was something quite fresh when it launched, but today it feels more like a copy of a copy of a copy, the market is now completely flooded with open-world titles each year, as oppose to when the game was launching, when the gen was just taking off.

Attract PC crowd, but don't PS4?

Just make sense as using HZD PS4 sales against Days Gone PS4 sales.

Last edited:

martino

Also valid points, but you know why they treat PC as second class because you need the consumers to be spending all kinds of money inside your ecosystem. Most PC gamers are Steam gamers even when MS have made Xbox fully available for them with cross-buy, they're mostly Steam's lapdogs much worse than any and refused to even download free launchers that cost them nothing extra.
giphy.gif

i will only consider sony serious about pc when they will have their own software using PSN infrastructure and store there.
for now it's second hand cash (and i'm glad to encourage the next step)

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
lol

Souls like games are HUGE on PC. Games like Uncharted or TLOU wont sell as much.

Just make sense as using HZD PS4 sales against Days Gone PS4 sales.

Souls like games are not as popular on Playstation as cinematic third person shooters or open world games. Bloodborne didn't set the world on fire on PS.

A decent bloodborne port would break Steam down.

Fake

Souls like games are not as popular on Playstation as cinematic third person shooters or open world games. Bloodborne didn't set the world on fire on PS.

BS. God of War is the more close Souls as you can imagine. This don't prove Bloodborne will beat HZD in sales.

i have never said anything about sales. but concurrent players tell you about how a game is popular.
It does show that a game released six years ago and has already been on numerous deals is still more popular than Days Gone which just got released.
More people are playing witcher 3 now than days gone at any moment since it's release.
Mass effect legendary edition has 2x the players of days gone.
but the witcher series is one of the most popular franchies (with a tv show that gave the game a boost to) across 3 platforms worldwide, is a bigger longer game and mod support on pc and has been under 10 quid on loads and loads of sales , days gone is a new franchise which isnt particulary good, there not comparable.

yurinka

EyXSQ9AWYAY3Vda

Concurrent users aren't related to sales, depending on the game the game sessions can be longer or shorter, or game sales can be more or less focused on a timezone.

You also have to consider that ~10% of Steam purchases get refunded. Then ~20-25% of what you pay for a game goes to VAT and similar depending on the game. Then there's the 30% store cut. So there's 40-45% that goes to the publisher and dev out of the $60 you pay, this is $24-27. If all that money would go the publisher, then it would mean 900K-1M units sold if they made $23.2M from Death Stranding on PC. But they typically have some split between the dev and publisher, and being Kojima his cut will be the same or bigger than the one for the publisher since day one, with no recoup.

Let's say its 50% for the dev, 50% for the publisher, so 505 gets ~$12.75 out of each $60 copy sold.

And from here, there's a part that goes to the dev and another one to the publisher. 23.192M revenue generated, that would be 1.82M units sold on PC

There are these estimations:

So yes, seems likekly DS sold something between 1M and 2M copies on Steam.

Souls like games are HUGE on PC. Games like Uncharted or TLOU wont sell as much.

A decent bloodborne port would break Steam down.
Open world games sell more both on PlayStation and PC than the souls games.
Uncharted-like games sell worse in PC and more in PS because the ones available in PS only are the best ones by far. Uncharted will sell like crazy on PC, but will sell way less than in PS because in PC they will be very old ports.
If it ever exists (we still have to see if it's the case), Bloodborne's PC port won't outselll old pc ports of HZD and Uncharted.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

No one will buy a PS4 just for one game.

Which isn't true because I actually know a die-hard PC fanatic who indeed bought PS3 for DS, then PS4 for BB, and now PS5 for DS remake, and sold the consoles immediately after getting platinum in those games, but he's the most extreme of extremes, if I didn't know him and witnessed it on my own eyes I wouldn't believe such people exist.

But he bitched about 30FPS and loadings for weeks, even long time after he sold the consoles, he just couldn't live with the fact that such amazing games are being locked behind such a garbage console (PS3/4), and said he would gladly pay even 500$ just to play them on PC.

So the question is how many PC gamers are out there who would love to play DS/BB but are not willing to game on those crappy consoles, because they are a piece of junk in PC crowd eyes, especially with that Jaguar CPU.

I really think that BB on PC could AT LEAST match the sales of the console version, if not top it. I honestly can close my eyes and imagine BB being one of the most popular game on Steam, one of the most popular game streamed on Twitch, and so on. A missed opportunity from Sony that's for sure, instead of porting the most desirable game they port the games no one asked for.

No one will buy a PS4 just for one game.

Which isn't true because I actually know a die-hard PC fanatic who indeed bought PS3 for DS, then PS4 for BB, and now PS5 for DS remake, and sold the consoles immediately after getting platinum in those games, but he's the most extreme of extremes, if I didn't know him and witnessed it on my own eyes I wouldn't believe such people exist.

But he bitched about 30FPS and loadings for weeks, even long time after he sold the consoles, he just couldn't live with the fact that such amazing games are being locked behind such a garbage console (PS3/4), and said he would gladly pay even 500$ just to play them on PC.

So the question is how many PC gamers are out there who would love to play DS/BB but are not willing to game on those crappy consoles, because they are a piece of junk in PC crowd eyes, especially with that Jaguar CPU.

I really think that BB on PC could AT LEAST match the sales of the console version, if not top it. I honestly can close my eyes and imagine BB being one of the most popular game on Steam, one of the most popular game streamed on Twitch, and so on. A missed opportunity from Sony that's for sure, instead of porting the most desirable game they port the games no one asked for.
Frame pacing killed my desire to go on. BB is a day one preorder on PC for me. High framerate, improved EVERYTHING, fov, ultrawide support, etc. Make it happen Jim Ryan! I'm not gonna buy a console for one or two games. That could be a new mobo+processor, more storage, 1/4 of the price of the amp I'm about to buy, etc. On PC, I can just buy the game and play, no hardware necessary.

Last edited:
Dude, this already have been proved totally wrong. Not only Sony, but mainly Nintendo.
IDK where you guys check this, but c'mon you guys are trying too hard.
I can only go from personal experience. "I" would not buy a console and a game, if I can just buy the game separately, with a better experience. Why buy beef, if you can get steak for much cheaper? (Horrible fucking comparison, but you get the gist)

Fake

I can only go from personal experience. "I" would not buy a console and a game, if I can just buy the game separately, with a better experience. Why buy beef, if you can get steak for much cheaper? (Horrible fucking comparison, but you get the gist)

We always buy a console because of one game, and get surprise by others. Happens all the time. I get DS and 3DS because Pokemon, but Castlevania DS is very good, Mario Kart, ect...

I get Xbox 360 because L4D2, get PS4 because Bloodborne, thats not mean I just get those games, but they're the high priority of my reason to get.
Tons of people get Switch because BOTW, but at the end they get others games like Mario Kart Deluxe, etc...

Thats why is important for the console have a variety of games, one of them ends up trying to catch your attention.

We always buy a console because of one game, and get surprise by others. Happens all the time. I get DS and 3DS because Pokemon, but Castlevania DS is very good, Mario Kart, ect...

I get Xbox 360 because L4D2, get PS4 because Bloodborne, thats not mean I just get those games, but they're the high priority of my reason to get.
Tons of people get Switch because BOTW, but at the end they get others games like Mario Kart Deluxe, etc...

Thats why is important for the console have a variety of games, one of them ends up trying to catch your attention.
The only problem with that is, and again this is my perspective/personal opinion, but I mostly play multi-platform games. Exclusive games are never a selling point for me. As matter a fact, there's only a handful of single player games that I can actually play through fully. RDR2 (yeah it has multiplayer), surge 2, BOTW, RE: Village, and I can't think of many other singles player games that I've played recently. And when I beat a single player game, that's it for me. I don't play through it again.

Multiplayer is my bread and butter. It provides replayability, longevity, and ways for my friends and I to play with each other. Sony makes predominantly single-player games, which doesn't have that, at least for me. So this is why I don't get that attachment from either of the consoles. I would like to think that I'm in the majority of PC players mindset, which is why many of us don't care to spend that money for one or two games. But if those games came to PC, which they are, I would check them out.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Embarrassing.

Days Gone selling like crap on Playstation is also selling like crap on PC, it's not rocket science. The decision to cancel Days Gone 2 was already made before the PC release. Microsoft are releasing their old Xbox games on Steam, and they are selling like crazy. Release something good, and people will buy it. Days Gone is probably one of Sony's weakest games, and HZD was a shit port, and not very interesting as well, yet it has seen 250% return in investment since launch last year.

Xbox gamers also cried when Microsoft decided to start releasing everything on PC, but have now accepted it. Sony fans are now going trough the same thing. Cry and move on.

Last edited:

Goalus

Xbox gamers also cried when Microsoft decided to start releasing everything on PC, but have now accepted it. Sony fans are now going trough the same thing. Cry and move on.
Xbox gamers didn't cry when this happened.
It was mostly concern trolls from the Sony camp.

By the way, looking at the Steam global top seller list, it looks like Sea of Thieves has passed Days Gone already:

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I don't want to start anything but I think it's odd that Xbox Game Studios releases on Steam sell so much more than high profile PS4 ports.

Top Bottom